50 Years, 9 Nights, 5 Beds and 1 Big Fat Mistake

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I broke my no trip report rule and read this one SO FAR. The picture count better ramp up or I am going back to my rule.   I have had a sun pass for a few yrs and it is great although I usually on

Toll booths SMB. If you don't have Ez pass and are driving to the shore you are crazy. The high speed ez pass lanes are sweet.

Andrew, are you trying to get me to read one of your TR's?       sent from that black box sitting on my desk using my fingers on the typing thingy

Surprise!  I'm a Bed Hopping Bimbo!

As far as our girls knew, we were going to leave the port on Friday morning and begin our trek home to Tennessee.  

I had told them that we'd likely take two days to get home as I wanted to make a couple of stops, such as at Ikea.  What they didn't know was that I'd received an email from Disney just before our trip advertising some room deals and had had Jason book us a room for 2 nights at the Yacht Club.  We'd never stayed at YC or BC, and had always wanted to experience Stormalong Bay, so since we didn't have to be home until Sunday evening and we were in the area, we figured "why not?".    

But before we get to that....I have a quick story to tell about our customs agent at the Port.  

When we got off our Disney cruise two years ago, the customs agent who checked our documents saw that we live in Franklin and commented on how he loves visiting Franklin and going to our theater where you can get beer and watch a movie.  I just commented something about how it's a nice town and I'm glad he like it.  Well, after getting off this cruise, would you believe we had the same agent!  He made the exact same comment about the theater too.  (Ironically, that theater was converted into a fancy performing arts venue and you can't drink beer anymore....but I digress).  What are the chances that we'd get the same agent?  I imagine there aren't THAT many agents at Canaveral, but still.  

Anyways, we hit the Beeline and made good time.  I had my Sunpass in the window and was buzzing right through the toll booths.  There was a jackwagon in a little hatchback that was weaving through traffic and tailgating anyone in his way.  Funny thing was, he didn't have a Sunpass, so even though he kept passing us we always ended up back ahead of him.   :rofl3:

Within an hour or so we arrived in Orlando and stopped at Ikea.  INC always likes looking around, so we walked the store and found a few "must haves".  We hit the restaurant for an early lunch, then headed back out on the highway.  The girls usually get engrossed in their iPods or a book and don't pay much attention, so they didn't notice we were heading toward Disney until they saw some signs just before Epcot Center Drive.  I saw them in the mirror looking at each other, so I explained that we were going to stop for a quick visit to see Lou.  We have a history when in the area of just stopping to see the Fort quickly or to visit someone, so they thought nothing of it.  

It wasn't long and we pulled up in front of the Yacht Club.  They were just sitting in the van not knowing whether to get out or what was going on.  I told them to grab their bags and let's go.  They were so surprised!  We were going to stay in a 5th place on this trip....and it was at Disney World!!!  :jumpforjoy

We got all the bags from the van and they took them inside while I parked.  When I got inside I went to the counter to check in.  Now...I had to be a bit sneaky.  These rooms are stated as being for up to 5 people.  And we are a family of 7.  Don't tell anyone.  Anna has her own little travel bed we use and I'd brought an air mattress.  I figured since we weren't doing parks it wouldn't matter....and it didn't .  

I had booked the least expensive room type, but when we checked in I was told we'd been upgraded to water view.  Score!  I was expecting to see a side view of water, or maybe a drainage canal or something.  But I did not expect THIS view!

20140620_125826.jpg

Yes, that is the Eiffel Tower at Epcot to the right of the lighthouse.  And a quick pan to the left brought this into view.

20140620_162815.jpg

That's Damn Judi Dench, baby!

This was gonna be awesome!!

We dumped the bags in the room, changed into our suits and headed down to Stormalong Bay!

DSCN4403.JPG

DSCN4406.JPG

DSCN4407.JPG

Our first impressions?  This place rocks!!  

We swam, and swam some more.  

INC and I may have gotten a drink from the pool bar.  Those damn Magic Bands make spending money too easy.  

The girls lounged a bit.

DSCN4404.JPG

DSCN4405.JPG

Then some more swimming....

DSCN4409.JPG

DSCN4411.JPG

DSCN4417.JPG

DSCN4419.JPG

DSCN4420.JPG

DSCN4421.JPG

We used the slide...known as the Flying Jib.  

DSCN4422.JPG

And we used the lazy river too.  

We had a great afternoon!!  

I also spent a few minutes texting with both Lou and with Dan aka disney4dan.  We were hoping to all get together for a beer and maybe a bite late that afternoon.  Dan and I had come SO close to meeting a couple years ago when we were both in Buffalo for work, but it didn't work out.  So we weren't going to miss the opportunity again.  

Dan and his family were at HS that afternoon, so not too far away.  We all decided to meet at the Boardwalk at 5:00.   :jumpforjoy 

That meeting will come in the next update.....could that be my huge mistake?? 

I think your mistake was not taking all of us Fiends along with you.

ok so maybe that wasn't a mistake.

Wouldn't that be fun!

I think the mistake was that he didn't spend more time at Disney

That's always a mistake....maybe you're right.  

I think your mistake was purchasing a cinnamon roll that wasn't a MSB cinnamon roll.

Or maybe you went into the evil cartel?

Or maybe you took over for the gaspipe up the butt dragon guy?

I can safely say that none of your guesses are correct.  

What an awesome surprise Dave!

You and INC rock and I bet your kids were very appreciative.

They look very happy in the pics!

Looking forward to the fiend meet pics. Bring it on!

Fiend meeting pics will be posted tomorrow!  Thanks Aaron.  

I have no new ideas as to what the big mistake is, but I love your SAB pics and am looking forward to more report. :)

Thanks Leslie!  

That pool looks awesome!

It was whiz-bang!  

We loved the sandy bottom.  And the lazy river.  And the slide.  

I want to go back.....

That pool is fun. The sandy bottom is cool. There is even a sandy beach we played in the sand for quit awhile when we were there. It was cold when we were there so it was a long haul the top of the slide simce we were freezing but there was no line.

That pool is fun. The sandy bottom is cool. There is even a sandy beach we played in the sand for quit awhile when we were there. It was cold when we were there so it was a long haul the top of the slide simce we were freezing but there was no line.

I didn't know they had a lazy river. I'd like to stay there one night.

The lazy river is really deep. Normally I can stand up and grab DD if she gets away from me. But not at SAB. The shallow area is great. DD and I played in the sand making rivers for hours. It's mine and DW personal favorite. DD likes AKL best.

Ok I'm changing my "big mistake" guess. If I remember correctly you don't do dairy.

I'm thinking that maybe you, dan, and Lou shared a surrey bike and they made you peddle by yourself. And then made you go to Boardwalk Bakery and forced you to eat a non MSB cinnamon roll, and then they made you go down the big water slide and you got a water wedgie.

The lazy river is really deep. Normally I can stand up and grab DD if she gets away from me. But not at SAB. The shallow area is great. DD and I played in the sand making rivers for hours. It's mine and DW personal favorite. DD likes AKL best.

I saw it said it was like 6 foot? I would need my swimmies!!

I have to say that I had been "this close" to meeting Dave and Al back in around 2012 while traveling to Buffalo, NY on business.  It was a whirlwind buisness trip with a few of my co-workers when I found out that they both were in town, very close to where I was staying.  But we had one rental car and I was trying to figure out whether I should skip out on the business dinner and catch a cab to meet with Dave and Al when I made the wrong choice.  I did the business dinner.

Ultimately, the business dinner was not that important and I had second guessed that decision many times.  Then, when I found out that Dave and I would be in WDW at the same time, I had to make it work.  Our plan was to catch the shuttle boats between DHS and the boardwalk area for the meeting.  And then one of those Florida summer thunderstorms rolled in.  And parked over DHS for quite a while, dumping inches of rain it seemed.  We finally worked our way over to the boats and found that they weren't operating because of the thunder.  So we were back on the run to the buses and took the long way around from the Swolphin route, the Yacht and Beach Club area and then finally the BW.  We arrived a little late, a little hurried and dripping wet.  A scary site, but Lou and the Statz family were there waiting with smiles!

Hijack over - we now return you to the regularly scheduled show....

I didn't know they had a lazy river. I'd like to stay there one night.

It was a blast!

FINALLY caught up with this thread!  Awesome trip report.  Beautiful family!

Thanks Janet!

I went looking for pics of the lazy river, I'm confused, I see no tubes?

There are tubes in the lazy river....I haven't posted any yet.  

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention the beach area.  You know how I love beaches, so.....

REALLY deep....like 8 feet in parts IIRC.  

Ok I'm changing my "big mistake" guess. If I remember correctly you don't do dairy.

I'm thinking that maybe you, dan, and Lou shared a surrey bike and they made you peddle by yourself. And then made you go to Boardwalk Bakery and forced you to eat a non MSB cinnamon roll, and then they made you go down the big water slide and you got a water wedgie.

Wow, you're good.  

I saw it said it was like 6 foot? I would need my swimmies!!

Even deeper....up to 8 feet I think.  

I have to say that I had been "this close" to meeting Dave and Al back in around 2012 while traveling to Buffalo, NY on business.  It was a whirlwind buisness trip with a few of my co-workers when I found out that they both were in town, very close to where I was staying.  But we had one rental car and I was trying to figure out whether I should skip out on the business dinner and catch a cab to meet with Dave and Al when I made the wrong choice.  I did the business dinner.

Ultimately, the business dinner was not that important and I had second guessed that decision many times.  Then, when I found out that Dave and I would be in WDW at the same time, I had to make it work.  Our plan was to catch the shuttle boats between DHS and the boardwalk area for the meeting.  And then one of those Florida summer thunderstorms rolled in.  And parked over DHS for quite a while, dumping inches of rain it seemed.  We finally worked our way over to the boats and found that they weren't operating because of the thunder.  So we were back on the run to the buses and took the long way around from the Swolphin route, the Yacht and Beach Club area and then finally the BW.  We arrived a little late, a little hurried and dripping wet.  A scary site, but Lou and the Statz family were there waiting with smiles!

Hijack over - we now return you to the regularly scheduled show....

I wish y'all hadn't stressed over getting to us.  I would have happily waited for you.  Lou might have ditched on you, but I'd have been there.   :rofl2:

Fun With Fiends!

After spending the afternoon at Stormalong Bay, we went back to the room to get cleaned up to go meet up with Dan and his family, and Lou.  

While various girls were getting changed or showered....I excused myself and escaped to the balcony to enjoy a glass of wine.  We had brought 2 bottles on the cruise ship and only drank 1 of them, so the 2nd had to be disposed of somehow.  

Have I mentioned how much I enjoyed our balcony?  

Anyways, at just a bit before 5 we headed out.  One of the beautiful things about the Yacht Club (and the BC too) is that it's a quick walk from so much fun, including Epcot and the Boardwalk.  We walked out of our room and within a couple minutes were crossing the bridge to the Boardwalk that comes out by Atlantic Dance Hall.  We were a little early so we popped into one of the gift shops at the Boardwalk, where we bumped into Lou.  We chatted about where to get a bite and decided on ESPN Club, so I texted Dan and told him we'd meet him there.  By this point it was raining, but not too hard so we made it down to ESPN without getting soaked and put our names in for a table.  Within a few minutes, Dan, Nancy and their kids (2 of them anyways) Rachel and Matt.  

We got inside to a table and the mouth running began.  

Here's part of our group....that's Matt, Isabel, Gwen, Rachel and Nancy.  

20140620_184529.jpg

And the two biggest trouble makers. 

20140620_184548.jpg

Dave and Dan selfie with Matt photobomb.

20140620_184601.jpg

20140620_184603.jpg

Sisterly love.

20140620_184620.jpg

We had a great visit.  My only complaint is that it was too short.  But when families are on vacation, just getting their schedules to line up at all is an accomplishment.  I would love to spend a camping weekend with Dan and his family some day....we'd probably talk all weekend and never run out of things to say.  And it's always great visiting with Lou.  Wish we could do it more often.

So I guess our meeting with Dan and Lou wasn't the big, fat mistake.  

When we were done with dinner and ready to leave, we found someone outside to take a couple of group shots.  

20140620_190343.jpg

20140620_190345.jpg

Notice who Anna was cozied up to?  

She loved both Lou and Dan.  

After that, we said our goodbyes.  Lou turned left and headed back toward his car (I assume), while the rest of us headed toward the bridge in the direction of Epcot.  

After crossing the bridge, Dan turned right to go into Epcot, and we turned left to head to the Beach Club.  We had a plan for our next adventure.  And I bet you can guess what it was.  

Beaches & Cream!  

Now, I know you're probably thinking we just went for the kids, as INC and I don't eat dairy.  Well, you'd be wrong about that.  We do allow for exceptions when it's "worth it".  And we always enjoy Beaches & Cream.  Now, even before giving up dairy, my body did not appreciate me eating ice cream.  I've had very little ice cream over the past 5 years as it doesn't agree with me.  But I wanted a hot fudge sundae.  So I got one.  

This was my sundae, made with coffee ice cream.  It was good!  

20140620_193059.jpg

The kids and their choices.

20140620_193110.jpg

20140620_193116.jpg

20140620_193122.jpg

20140620_193132.jpg

Anna shared INC's.

20140620_193154.jpg

The funny thing is....I felt fine afterward.  I expected to have issues but I didn't.  Lucky I guess.  But we were full, so we got the kids settled back at the room and INC and I went for a walk.  I'll pick up there in the next update.