50 Years, 9 Nights, 5 Beds and 1 Big Fat Mistake

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I broke my no trip report rule and read this one SO FAR. The picture count better ramp up or I am going back to my rule.   I have had a sun pass for a few yrs and it is great although I usually on

Toll booths SMB. If you don't have Ez pass and are driving to the shore you are crazy. The high speed ez pass lanes are sweet.

Andrew, are you trying to get me to read one of your TR's?       sent from that black box sitting on my desk using my fingers on the typing thingy

Dave,

I am late to the party, I just started reading this  yesterday and finished today!!

The cruise sounded like so much fun! Must have been even more fun having the extended family all together.

That is AWESOME that you surprised your girls with a 2 night stay at the YC! I love surprises and have pulled off some good ones for my boys over the years.

In a month we are heading to Disney and staying at week at the All Stars and 4 nights at the YC. We have stayed at the BC and Boardwalk, but this will be our first stay at the YC. I am happy to hear that you liked it! Of course the pool cant be beat!! Last time there we loved the "sinking sands" feature, did you guys check that out?

Thanks for sharing your trip!

Heidi

The sinking sand area was something that my oldest daughter remembered from our first visit there in the late 90's. The pool was later renovated and they took out the sinking sand.

TCD

TCD, I'm glad you quoted Heidi, as I meant to respond to her comment but got caught up in all the crazy DVC talk. 

I had not heard of sinking sands...so am glad to hear they are gone and not that I missed something.  LOL. 

TCD, I'm glad you quoted Heidi, as I meant to respond to her comment but got caught up in all the crazy DVC talk. 

I had not heard of sinking sands...so am glad to hear they are gone and not that I missed something.  LOL.

It was a feature in one of the areas of the pool, in between where the slide dumps guests and the lazy river. It had a sand bottom, with water jets under the sand. If you stepped in the right place, you would sink, a couple of feet, into the sand. It was an odd sensation.

TCD

Okay so please explain to us dummies.  AKA - me!  So we pay $3000 to get 50 DVC points.  And about $400 a year for dues.  Then we can get 2 nights at a deluxe resort per year?  And I call to book it, but we would also need APs right. (I mean you can't get a package when you use DVC points)   I wonder how often you would need to go for it to be worth it?

We would like to go every 2 -3 years (hubby's rules I would like to go once a year), so I don't think it would be worth it for us.  Can't you rent points for just a one time thing?  I would like to stay at the YC once at least.  

We are such cheapo's this last trip -- 4 of us, 1 under 3, free dining, hotel, 5 days of tickets, 7 nights in the hotel, $1800.  

If you only bought 50 points and didn't go every year you could combine your points.  So in other words you could bank points for a year (50), use your current year's points (50) and borrow against next years (50).  So you could use 150 points.  That would get you more than a couple of nights but of course it depends what size villa you want, what time of year, which resort, etc.

You can rent points, I know of a lot of people who do that.  We rented our points out this year and are using the money for a cruise.  So our points are always used, either we use them or rent them.  I will say I think the maintenance fees are ridiculous, that is the only thing I dislike about our DVC.  Otherwise we have stayed in resorts that we normally never would have and have had other great vacations, like Hilton Head.  We've been spoiled with the DVC accommodations, they really are nice.

If you only bought 50 points and didn't go every year you could combine your points.  So in other words you could bank points for a year (50), use your current year's points (50) and borrow against next years (50).  So you could use 150 points.  That would get you more than a couple of nights but of course it depends what size villa you want, what time of year, which resort, etc.

You can rent points, I know of a lot of people who do that.  We rented our points out this year and are using the money for a cruise.  So our points are always used, either we use them or rent them.  I will say I think the maintenance fees are ridiculous, that is the only thing I dislike about our DVC.  Otherwise we have stayed in resorts that we normally never would have and have had other great vacations, like Hilton Head.  We've been spoiled with the DVC accommodations, they really are nice.

Wow maybe it would be a good deal.  :) Thanks!!

Interesting.  I knew you could borrow points from the next year, or carry over points by a year....I didn't know you could do both and combine 3 years' points into one vacation. 

But can't you use your DVC points at the fort?

You can but the points are high plus I think you have to pay a fee for non DVC resorts, something like $75. You're better off using points at a DVC resort.

I just looked up the points for FW, the campsites aren't bad, the cabins are high. For instance we are going for two nights this January, staying in a studio at VWL. that will be 16 points per night. For those same two nights a preferred campsite would be 9 points a night, but a cabin would be 33 points per night. Actually, The campsites aren't as high as I thought they might be. Looks like the highest points are 17 per night, that's a preferred site over Easter Break or Christmas break.

To get a idea of how many points you need just google DVC points chart and you can see how it works. I will say a DVC resort is way better then a value resort. I think points normally rent for about $12.00 per point give or take a buck. My sister booked our Saratoga trip for us and I gave her $10.00 per point. It was 65 points for 5 nights Sunday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday are more points.

Animal Kingdom Lodge seems to use the least points from what I have seen.

A couple of things, my wife is required to drive the RV, not because I do not think I should drive the whole way, but she takes it out on her own so she drives it then.  This way I can sleep when she drives it.

As for DVC, it is not YC, but BC.  The villas are the closest to EPCOT and the furthest away from SAB, but SAB is still included.  Self Parking is actually closer to the DVC buildings.  I Love DVC and will be staying at BLT in a couple of weeks.  However, will probably try to camp again at Fort Wilderness in the RV.

The last go around for DVC Annual pass discounts was $300 off the Premium Annual Pass which made it $399 before tax.  I saved over $900 on the passes alone.

There are no packages to go along with staying at DVC, however, you can book the Dining Plan separate and do not need to have a ticket to go along with it.  Also, you can purchase the standard tickets, you do not have to have an annual pass.  Just aas with the fort, you do not even need tickets to stay at a DVC with points.

Watch out for resale from different companies.  Disney is starting to not accept certain perks if you do not buy directly from them.  If you buy resale from them, then all the perks still apply.

The sinking sand area was something that my oldest daughter remembered from our first visit there in the late 90's. The pool was later renovated and they took out the sinking sand.

TCD

WHATTTTTTT?????? No sinking sands????  The last time we were there was 2010 and it was there then. I didn't realize that they have renovated the pool in the last four years!!!! Thanks for the heads up TCD!!!

Just finished your report. Sounds like an awesome vacation! We are DVC members also, and one of our memberships is at Beach Club. We own there for location, mostly (LOVE being right there at Epcot....just like we love Bay Lake Tower for being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom) but Stormalong Bay is also a major draw. I can't get over how deep the lazy river is, though! Between kids diving in constantly and floating around, not paying attention to what's floating towards their heads, I get so stressed floating in there. I'm glad you all had a great time in the pools. What an awesome way to end your vacation, after being on a cruise!

• 3 months later...

Dave thank you so much for the trip report I have enjoyed it along with all of the extra post from everyone else. What a wonderful group of people. We are taking our first Disney Cruise in 9 days so we found your report very helpful since we sailed on Enchantment of the Seas back in 2000 or should I say enhancement.

Cheers,

Kathy

Dave thank you so much for the trip report I have enjoyed it along with all of the extra post from everyone else. What a wonderful group of people. We are taking our first Disney Cruise in 9 days so we found your report very helpful since we sailed on Enchantment of the Seas back in 2000 or should I say enhancement.

Cheers,

Kathy

Enjoy your cruise Kathy! You will love DCL. We are cruising on the Magic next year. I can't wait!