Will any fiends be at the Fort, the 7th or 8th of October?   I may drive down with the kids and have Tom fly in that Friday... if so, I will need help backing the camper into our spot (hopefully in the 100 loop).  I think I can hook it up, once it's backed in... but I know that I cannot back it in on my own.

The only way to learn is to just dive in and do it. We all started somewhere.

The only way to learn is to just dive in and do it. We all started somewhere.

Spoken like a true fiend...who just wants to bring out his lawn chair to sit and watch me back up.  And when I say "back up", I actually mean take out the front post, trash can, recycling bins and oh yeah...several small bushes.  I think I'll ask Judy for help instead ;)

Some friendly advice:  I don't think it's wise for you to be traveling that distance towing a trailer if you can't back it up.  Your trip is 3 months away.  Take the truck and trailer out and practice.  You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you need to back up and can't.  You will be surprised how fast you get the hang of it, and you will have one less thing to stress about on your trip.

TCD

Agree with TCD.  You willlearn fast, and a little practice will make you feel much better about the whole trip.

Just find a big parking lot that is not busy and take your time.  LIke a lot of things, it seems hard till you try a few times and get used to it.

We get there on the 3rd. Should be in 400.

Thank you!

Some friendly advice:  I don't think it's wise for you to be traveling that distance towing a trailer if you can't back it up.  Your trip is 3 months away.  Take the truck and trailer out and practice.  You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you need to back up and can't.  You will be surprised how fast you get the hang of it, and you will have one less thing to stress about on your trip.

TCD

That is good advice, thank you.  We've driven down a couple of times now, so I know to use the larger truck stops for gas...but (if I decided to come down early) I will practice backing up before driving down.  I would imagine that I could actually back it up, but I don't know how one can back a trailer into a spot...without someone else helping to guide them in as there are too many blind spots.  Tom is actually pretty good at it, I would say that he can do 80% of it without me...but he still needs that extra set of eyes to make it a really good fit.

That is good advice, thank you.  We've driven down a couple of times now, so I know to use the larger truck stops for gas...but (if I decided to come down early) I will practice backing up before driving down.  I would imagine that I could actually back it up, but I don't know how one can back a trailer into a spot...without someone else helping to guide them in as there are too many blind spots.  Tom is actually pretty good at it, I would say that he can do 80% of it without me...but he still needs that extra set of eyes to make it a really good fit.

Good thinking.  You can't plan for all contingencies.  You may think you've figured out a way that you won't have to back-up, but you never know.

For what it's worth- I've seen Fort CM's help folks back into sites.  You can ask for help when you check-in, and they'll send someone to help.

TCD

Good thinking.  You can't plan for all contingencies.  You may think you've figured out a way that you won't have to back-up, but you never know.

For what it's worth- I've seen Fort CM's help folks back into sites.  You can ask for help when you check-in, and they'll send someone to help.

TCD

Sure, you can get help from the front desk, but who would you trust more to help:  a front desk flunkie or a Fiend?  :)

TCD

TCD has excellent advice here, you wouldn't want to travel a long distance without knowing how to, or being nervous about backing up. You never know when you may need to do it. Just like all the other Fiends have said, go with Tom to a local parking lot and practice. Put your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel (6 o'clock) and whichever way you want the rear end of your trailer to go (left/right) push your hand in that direction, and it'll go. After a couple tries you'll have it down.

Cody

My wife will drive, but only forward. She's expressed an interest in backing/parking the camper, but there was always a reason that she didn't (audience, not enough time, tricky layout, etc.). The campground that we're at (Lake Magic in Clermont/Davenport) is barren of well, pretty much everything. No people, no landscaping, no nothing.

As I expected- she parked this dang thing better than I ever have! AND- I suck as a spotter. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks y 'all.  My concern is not backing the camper up... it's backing it up so that it would fit (as nice as possible) into the spot.  In other words, so that I'm as close to the electrical as possible, without hitting it, in order to get as much as room possible for our awning and rug... without messing up extending the slide on the other side.  I've backed it up before, I just need someone to help guide me back.

Having said that... I don't know that we'll (financially) be able to swing my coming down early.  No worries though, super excited about the days we are able to come! :)

I agree and learn to back, I ended up helping someone back their trailer into a spot on the 300 loop last weekend. Once I got him calmed down and stop fighting with his wife over directions, it was so bad he was in the shrubs on the awning side of his camper. Took me a few shots but finally got him moved over and in their spot. Told him just relax and enjoy their Disney vacation.

I agree and learn to back, I ended up helping someone back their trailer into a spot on the 300 loop last weekend. Once I got him calmed down and stop fighting with his wife over directions, it was so bad he was in the shrubs on the awning side of his camper. Took me a few shots but finally got him moved over and in their spot. Told him just relax and enjoy their Disney vacation.

This is what I love about campers in general. I know my husband has helped several people back in. Sometimes after a long drive down people are stressed and nerves are pretty tight so sometimes all you need is a helpful person you aren't related to to help calm you down. Often when we pull in someplace we drop the kids off at the playground and I'll get out of the car to spot for my husband. It's just not worth arguing. 

Spoken like a true fiend...who just wants to bring out his lawn chair to sit and watch me back up.  And when I say "back up", I actually mean take out the front post, trash can, recycling bins and oh yeah...several small bushes.  I think I'll ask Judy for help instead ;)

Sounds like you have it down to me!