Lightning struck monorail near Epcot?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rescued people rode on giant audioanimatronic squirrels.  

I would rather be stuck on a monorail than on a moving bus with 30 screaming Brazilians. FUEGO!

Not a lot of mention about this problem at Universal in the media.  It happened only 2 days after the WDW Monorail Tragedy!   Everyone hates the big guy.....   ORLANDO, Fla. -   Transformers: The Ride

But the monorail is so cool looking!

It's a good thing that the ladder truck could get people out through the roof because if it had to be evacuated and everyone had to get clear of the monorail before rescue arrived, you know what that means? Climb down the windshield on a rope and walk the rail. But you'd look cool doing it?

I wonder how the rescued people got to their destination afterwards?

Two guesses and the first two don't count.

I'll guess that they did NOT take one of your buses.......

I'll guess that they did NOT take one of your buses.......

That's a pretty safe guess.

If it wasn't an emergency evacuation, why didn't they just tow it to the nearest station? I don't understand why they couldn't.

Also, it being struck by lightning as a cause for the power failure has not been confirmed by fire officials or Disney yet, just some wannabe reporters on the monorail. Breaking down for other reasons is not that uncommon.

I heard some thunder tonight but not much, so it's surprising if it was lightening.

DisDining.com had this.  Maybe a couple new details:

From WESH News and WDW News.

A Disney World monorail train had to be evacuated Sunday night after what passengers said was a possible lightning strike.  Apparently, lightning the beam on the Epcot monorail line this evening, stranding guests inside Monorail Red. The train stopped in the transfer track area where the tractor could not be used to pull the monorail to a safe unloading zone. A very rare instance, the monorail needed to be evacuated via the hatch on the roof with guests pulled down from the elevated vehicle using a cherry picker courtesy of the Reedy Creek Fire Department.

Several Twitter users reported the evacuation just after 6 p.m.

“Literally stuck on a monorail at Disney, lighting struck and we immediately stopped. I’m convinced that I’m going to die,” said Twitter user @nnaaatttalliiie at 6:07 p.m.

“We’re going to have to evacuate the monorail,” @lilymock said.

WDWNT.com tweeted a photo of the monorail stopped near the Wilderness Lodge with multiple emergency vehicles nearby.

A Disney World spokeswoman told WESH 2 News she was looking into the situation and would provide details when they were available.

WESH 2 News has a crew headed to the scene.

Also on the FB page it said the Nickelodeon hotel had been struck.

Thank god for FB. How would we ever know that lightning struck a building during a thunder storm in Florida during the height of the lightening season.

Now that's news because it never happens.