Lightning struck monorail near Epcot?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rescued people rode on giant audioanimatronic squirrels.  

I would rather be stuck on a monorail than on a moving bus with 30 screaming Brazilians. FUEGO!

Not a lot of mention about this problem at Universal in the media.  It happened only 2 days after the WDW Monorail Tragedy!   Everyone hates the big guy.....   ORLANDO, Fla. -   Transformers: The Ride

I would rather be stuck on a monorail than on a moving bus with 30 screaming Brazilians. FUEGO!

Okay, you drama spoilers!  I would have been scared out of my mind.  Not only does lightning frighten me, but I'm horribly afraid of heights.  Just the thought of having to climb through that hatch (I'm no spring chicken anymore) and get on top of one of those monorail cars gives me the total willies - not forgetting the fact that the flash of lightning and the thunder boom would have put me in a state of rigor mortis.  

There's a lesson here for me: don't take the monorail!

I indicated earlier that a lightening strike seemed odd and that only the FB and Twitter obsessed riders were reporting that it was a lightning strike.

Rescue officials and Disney were not.

Disney spokesperson Andrea Finger, told the local media that "the train stopped because of a "weather incident" but says the train was not struck by lightning". Officials said the cause of the power outage was not immediately known.

While breakdowns are common, having to evacuate is rare. I think the last one was 3 or 4 years ago.

Considering the millions of people and hundreds of thousand of miles these monorails have traveled over the years, it seems like their safety records and the small amount of times they break down are pretty phenomenal.

But the buses carry many, many, times the number of people and have an even better safety record.

and the small amount of times they break down are pretty phenomenal.

While breakdowns are common,

Monorail car was struck by lightning,, maintenance attempted to repair for 1/2 hour,, unsuccessful,, ready creek fire service performed roof evacuation of the riders,, the ladder is specially designed for monorail rescue..

But the buses carry many, many, times the number of people and have an even better safety record.

But the busses aren't as cool......

Has there ever been a comparison of monorail vs bus vs ferry ridership?

I guess to make it fair it would just have to be to the MK from the parking lot.

But the busses aren't as cool......

Has there ever been a comparison of monorail vs bus vs ferry ridership?

I guess to make it fair it would just have to be to the MK from the parking lot.

There is no comparison in ridership between the ferries and buses.

It's difficult to tell, just by observation, how large the bus transportation department is.

There are close to 350 buses and 1600 bus drivers. Buses service all the resorts and all the attractions. They operate for about 20 hours a day.

Except for a lull during the middle of the day, all available buses are used all the time.

I bet it got uncomfortable hot in those cars. And, with all the people who might ignore personal hygiene on a vacation that would just make it even worse.

If you are talking about me, which I assume you are, then it is only the very end of my vacation that I become really offensive.

I'm just thinking about all the different types of people that come to Disney and the challenges in evacuating them. Babies, special needs, pregnant women, older, younger, different sizes and physical abilities, etc. it's got to be hard.

I know my autistic son who have panicked. Heck I am terrified of heights, sometimes I have a hard time just riding on the monorail, so I probably would have had a panic attack trying to evacuate. The rescuers are trained for those sort of incidents though, so I am sure all was well. 

NOPE!  i can honestly say i would need alcohol delivered for a few hours before you could even think of persuading me to go out the roof and into a picker basket!!!  Ain't no way!  

last night i went up in the cab over bed in the mh and could barely figure out how to get back down.  SERIOUSLY!

:rofl3:

And what about the 1/3 of them whose Magic Bands didn't work? 

A CM from Quest Relations with IPad in hand went up in the first basket.  If your Magic Junk didn't work you got to talk to her.

Lightening or lightning, it's irrelevant. It wasn't struck by either one.

It was a power failure that may or may not have been caused by the weather.

Only the idiot passengers that wanted some excuse to post on FB and Twitter said it was hit by lightning.

Monorails break down on a regular basis, move along, nothing further to see here.