Lightning struck monorail near Epcot?

Our house must be cool then. We got a lightning strike. Took out the modem and the router, tripped the beaker to the sump pump and made a few other electronics hiccup. We found out one of our surge protectors was not strong enough. Lucky we were home at the time.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rescued people rode on giant audioanimatronic squirrels.  

I would rather be stuck on a monorail than on a moving bus with 30 screaming Brazilians. FUEGO!

Not a lot of mention about this problem at Universal in the media.  It happened only 2 days after the WDW Monorail Tragedy!   Everyone hates the big guy.....   ORLANDO, Fla. -   Transformers: The Ride

Our house must be cool then. We got a lightning strike. Took out the modem and the router, tripped the beaker to the sump pump and made a few other electronics hiccup. We found out one of our surge protectors was not strong enough. Lucky we were home at the time.

Wow, that stinks!! Glad the damage wasn't worse.

I was asking DH about surge protectors and lightning and he said that typical home/camper surge protectors generally won't help with a direct lightning strike.  :(

Wow, that stinks!! Glad the damage wasn't worse.

I was asking DH about surge protectors and lightning and he said that typical home/camper surge protectors generally won't help with a direct lightning strike.  :(

Nothing but insurance can help with a DIRECT lightning strike and then it's only to replace the damage. 

We had a pretty bad storm roll through around dinner time yesterday.  No direct strikes, but our power kept flickering and the lights would dim, although it never went all the way out.  First time it happened we heard the A/C cycle a couple times so we quickly turned the central air off, unplugged all the electronics and I unhooked the cable, as we had a strike come through our cable before and knock out the modem and router.  Fortunately no damage....but those voltage drops were concerning.  We did suffer a strike once that destroyed our TV and Wii and blew out about the half the lightbulbs in the house.   

The house DH grew up in has had strikes on/near several times.

One summer they lost 2 or 3 TVs, a cordless phone and a couple of other things.

We've been lucky lately that all the intense storms in the area over the last week or so seem to have "split" and gone around us, so that we haven't gotten the worst of it. 

But the busses aren't as cool......

Has there ever been a comparison of monorail vs bus vs ferry ridership?

I guess to make it fair it would just have to be to the MK from the parking lot.

I think the buses are cooler than the monorail.  (And not just because I'm trying to butter up Lou so he'll check out a site for me.)  Occasionally, we get the coolest drivers, who sing, joke, do hysterical tour guide routines, etc.  I LOVE the buses at Disney!

I think the buses are cooler than the monorail.  (And not just because I'm trying to butter up Lou so he'll check out a site for me.)  Occasionally, we get the coolest drivers, who sing, joke, do hysterical tour guide routines, etc.  I LOVE the buses at Disney!

Last time my family was there, one of the bus drivers told us they are not allowed to talk while driving.  Of course, he told us that while he was driving.

Our house has been struck by lightning. It was weird the path it took hit in some rooms skipped others completely.

Also back in 2008 Steve's brother was struck by lightning. He was working in the meadow up on a pivot tower. The sun was shining where he was. About 20-25 miles away there were thunderstorms.

Our house has been struck by lightning. It was weird the path it took hit in some rooms skipped others completely.

Also back in 2008 Steve's brother was struck by lightning. He was working in the meadow up on a pivot tower. The sun was shining where he was. About 20-25 miles away there were thunderstorms.

My goodness!  

Not a lot of mention about this problem at Universal in the media.  It happened only 2 days after the WDW Monorail Tragedy!

Everyone hates the big guy.....

ORLANDO, Fla. -

Transformers: The Ride-3D at Universal Studios is operating Tuesday afternoon after fire officials rescued guests from the ride earlier in the day.

Orlando fire officials confirmed to Local 6 they were performing a "technical rescue" at Universal and safely assisted 12 passengers out of the vehicle on the Transformers ride.

No injuries were reported.

Casey Ruston, 20, who was visiting the theme park from New Jersey with her grandparents and siblings was a passenger on the ride when it suddenly broke down.

"The sounds completely stopped, like someone hit mute on the TV", said Ruston. "There was no sound, it was just us going through the ride. All of a

sudden everything went black and we stopped, like at a complete halt."

Pictures from riders showed the car of the ride being stopped on a low point, so it appeared the passengers couldn't walk off of the ride themselves.

Ruston told Local 6 the workers made it seem as though they got stuck in one of the worst places on the ride - about 40 feet up from the ground and far enough from the top that fire rescuers had to rappel down with ladders to reach the car.

"Earlier today, Transformers: The Ride 3-D experienced a technical glitch. We assisted a small number of guests off the ride. All guests are off the ride and everyone is safe and in good spirits," said Alyson Lundell, Universal Studios Public Relations Director.

Universal gave the rescued guests VIP passes and free lunch for the day.

The Universal Orlando website describes the indoor, simulation ride as "an ultra-immersive, next generation thrill ride that blurs the line between fiction and reality."

ORLANDO, Florida – Riders are being extricated from a ride at Universal Studios Orlando, according to Orlando television stations.

It is not clear what prompted the evacuation of passengers on the ride Transformers: 3D Tuesday morning.

According to posts on Twitter, riders were stuck for about an hour.  Firefighters rappelled down the ride to rescue riders, said published reports.

I think I'd rather be stuck on the monorail.

Actually I always hope I'll get stuck in the Haunted Mansion ...in the attic ...for a couple of hours ...with a camera. 8)

There is so much detail in that area I am always finding new things. Lets break it so we can get stuck there.

My friends got stuck on HM and had to walk out through a side door. CMs went ape snot when my friends tried taking pictures of the behind the scenes stuff. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn't surprise me.  I don't care so much about the behind the scenes stuff.  I just want to be in there long enough to look through all the ON scene stuff.  8)