Hi y'all.  I need some help, from my fiends :)

If you have an easy (I don't like to cook), inexpensive (we count our pennies, so we'll make it back the fort :) ) and kid-friendly dinner recipes... please let me know!  This mama has hit a road block with her dinner menu planning.  The only thing we don't eat is seafood (okay...Tom will eat it, but I will not) and the one allergy is peanuts.

If you have anything you'd like to pass along, I would LOVE to hear it!  Any suggestions...throw them my way!  I homeschool and we'll be starting back in 4 weeks; I'm hoping to add another 5 or 6 solid recipes on my meal calendar before then.

Thanks fiends!!

Hi y'all.  I need some help, from my fiends :)

If you have an easy (I don't like to cook), inexpensive (we count our pennies, so we'll make it back the fort :) ) and kid-friendly dinner recipes... please let me know!  This mama has hit a road block with her dinner menu planning.  The only thing we don't eat is seafood (okay...Tom will eat it, but I will not) and the one allergy is peanuts.

If you have anything you'd like to pass along, I would LOVE to hear it!  Any suggestions...throw them my way!  I homeschool and we'll be starting back in 4 weeks; I'm hoping to add another 5 or 6 solid recipes on my meal calendar before then.

Thanks fiends!!

I have 4 easy recipes I always keep handy. 

Chicken and Rice. 

1 box of Chicken flavored rice-a-roni

1 lb of Chicken 

I cut the chicken into 1" pieces and cook it in olive oil then I remove that and put it aside. 

Follow the recipe on the box of rice a roni but I again use olive oil instead to brown. 

When you add the water and seasoning pack to the rice a roni add the chicken back in. 

Cook to the directions for the rice a roni and your done. 

I serve with whatever veggie I have available or a salad

Beef and Rice

1 lb Hamburg I prefer 90% less grease to drain

1 box beef flavored rice a roni

1 can of whole kernel corn drained of half the liquid

Brown the beef, drain and set aside

follow the rice a roni instructions. 

When you add the water and seasoning you will add the beef and the corn

cook per box instructions.

Last but a favorite

American Chop Suey

1 lb hamburg 90% again for me

1 onion diced

1 pepper diced

2 cloves garlic minced

salt and pepper to taste

1 26 oz can Crushed tomatos I prefer the tuttorosa with basil

Oregano

italitan seasoning

I lb box of elbows or ziti

start the onions and pepper in some olive oil with a little salt and pepper

once they start to give off some of their juices add the ground beef and brown and season with a little salt and pepper

I dont usually have to drain anything for this one because of the 90%

Once cooked add the tomatos, oregano and italian seasoning. If you want it thicker add some tomato paste before the tomatos

Once combined give a taste to see if you want any more salt and pepper. I usually add a pinch of salt and a couple of grind of pepper

Simmer this till the pasta is ready

In a large pot prepare the pasta per the box. I usually start the water on medium high while doing the rest and then crank it once the tomatos and seasoning go in. 

Once the pasta is cooked, drain and return to large pan. Carefully pour the Meat sauce over the pasta and stir to combine. Tastes great and is even better the next day as leftovers. 

Oh and one more.

Easy Beef Stroganoff

1.5 lbs stew beef type of meat

1 onion diced

1 pepper diced

1 bag of egg noodles i prefer the extra wide

1 family size jar of brown gravy

salt and pepper

Trim the beef of any excess chewy bits and cut to bite size pieces

start the onion and pepper in some olive oil with a little bit of salt

add the beef and a little bit of salt and pepper 

once the beef is cooked and the onions are clear add the jar of gravy. the longer it simmers the more the meat will break down but I usually just heat it through. The cutting has already helped the beef.

In a large pot prepare the egg noddles per the package and time for when the meat and gravy will be done. The beef can keep so make sure you dont start this too early. 

Drain and return to large pot. Pour the meat and gravy over the egg noddles and stir to combine. 

Again really good fresh and makes for great leftovers too. 

I don't like to cook either. Here is an easy slow cooker recipe

Soft Chicken Tacos

Put 2lbs frozen chicken in the crockpot. Mix together a packet of taco seasoning and one can of chopped tomatoes with chilis. Pour over the chicken. Slow cook for 6 hours. Shred the chicken with a fork and return to slow cooker for another 1-2 hours. Serve on soft taco shells with whatever extras you like (sour cream, cheese, lettuce, etc.)

I also like this over a salad.

I'll look up some specific recipes, but check out www.onceamonthmom.com. It's a fee site for freezer cooking, but she posts the original recipes for each menu. You can access those for free! 

This one is great, and I love stuff that can be done in the crockpot. Everyone in the family loved this one. 

http://onceamonthmeals.com/crockpot-mongolian-beef/

I live in a cooking rut. Same stuff all the time. DS and DH are picky. Oh and I suck at cooking, I feel your pain.

Haha... you and I are a like-kind :)   Actually, what really put me in a rut...was DH started with a new company which (praise God) has him home for dinner every night but now...dog-gone-it, I can't get away with eggs, mac-n-cheese or spaghetti every night (like I did when it was just the kids and I).  Heck, most nights (if I am hungry) I could just eat a bowl of cereal ;)

I'll look up some specific recipes, but check out www.onceamonthmom.com. It's a fee site for freezer cooking, but she posts the original recipes for each menu. You can access those for free! 

This one is great, and I love stuff that can be done in the crockpot. Everyone in the family loved this one. 

http://onceamonthmeals.com/crockpot-mongolian-beef/

This one looked great Kel!  Thanks!! :)

My sister in law just made this for a family party and everyone asked for the recipe, it was fantastic.

Buffalo Mac & Cheese

1 box cooked elbows

3 cups Mexican cheese (save a little to sprinkle on the top)

1 cup ranch dressing

1 cup Franks hot sauce (can do less or more, depending how hot you like it)

3 cooked chicken breasts, shredded

Combine all ingredients then bake in 350 degree oven until hot and bubbly.

I post my favorite recipes on my blog: 

http://memoirable.blogspot.com/2008/11/overnight-beans.html

http://memoirable.blogspot.com/2009/05/crockpot-recipes.html

When our budget is really strained, we have beans three times per week.   The first day, I make beans in the crockpot and put rice in the rice  cooker.  This is esp. nice because I can set the timer function on the cooker, so I can set it in the morning and come home to hot and ready food in the evening.

The next night, we have meatless nachos.  Beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream, corn, and tortilla chips.

Then , the third night, we have beans and cornbread.  I use the cornbread recipe from Jason.

Another cheap favorite is Hamburger Gravy.  Brown 1 lbs. ground beef with some chopped onion. Without draining the fat, sprinkle about 1/2 cup flour mixed with a half tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper over meat and stir in. Then add 1.5 cups milk. Stir constantly while bringing to a boil. once gravy has thickened, serve over potatoes, or rice or pasta. I usually serve it with peas as well.  I double this for my crew.

HTH!

I post my favorite recipes on my blog: 

http://memoirable.blogspot.com/2008/11/overnight-beans.html

http://memoirable.blogspot.com/2009/05/crockpot-recipes.html

When our budget is really strained, we have beans three times per week.   The first day, I make beans in the crockpot and put rice in the rice  cooker.  This is esp. nice because I can set the timer function on the cooker, so I can set it in the morning and come home to hot and ready food in the evening.

The next night, we have meatless nachos.  Beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream, corn, and tortilla chips.

Then , the third night, we have beans and cornbread.  I use the cornbread recipe from Jason.

Another cheap favorite is Hamburger Gravy.  Brown 1 lbs. ground beef with some chopped onion. Without draining the fat, sprinkle about 1/2 cup flour mixed with a half tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper over meat and stir in. Then add 1.5 cups milk. Stir constantly while bringing to a boil. once gravy has thickened, serve over potatoes, or rice or pasta. I usually serve it with peas as well.  I double this for my crew.

HTH!

Thank you!! :)

Chicken and Noodles in a slow cooker.

4 skinless chicken breasts

2 cans cream of chicken soup 

2 cans chicken broth

1 stick of butter

Place in slow cooker on high for 6 hours.

Shred chicken and return to cooker with a 12 oz, package of frozen noodles for an additional hour. 

I made all meals ahead then froze them.

Chicken and yellow rice with peas

Big pizza roll like a calazone. Was good but messy to make. Got the dough from Publix.

Sausage and vegetables. I used yellow squash, zucchini and frozen cubed potatoes with peppers.

Premade pizza crust, your favorite toppings then cooked on the grill.

Chicken or beef kabobs. I did chicken pineapple peppers and onions marinated in a Hawaiin sauce.

Chili Mac

Most of these can be modified to fit your families likes.

Here are a couple of mainstays for us:

Recipe: Chicken and Dumpling Bake

©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish

Prep time: 15 min |Cook time: 45 min |

Yield: About 8 to 12 servings

Ingredients:

• 3-4 cups of cooked chicken
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter
  • 1 cup self-rising flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups chicken stock/broth
  • 1 can Campbell's cream of chicken soup

Instructions:

If you are using fresh, raw chicken, please see cook's notes at the bottom of the recipe. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Shred the chicken and spread it on top of the butter. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and the flour and slowly pour that over the chicken taking care not to disturb the chicken too much. Do not stir. Whisk together the chicken broth and the cream of chicken soup. Slowly pour that over the flour and milk mixture. Do not stir.

Bake uncovered at 400 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes, or until top is light golden brown.

~Cooks Notes~

Use rotisserie chicken, leftover precooked chicken, canned chicken or 3 to 5 pieces of raw chicken - chicken breasts, mixed chicken parts. Poach raw chicken in the chicken broth or stock in a medium sized saucepan. Cook on a low simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is mostly done. It will finish cooking in the oven. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool but reserve the stock. To substitute all purpose flour, use 1 cup of flour and add 1-1/4 teaspoon of baking powder plus 1/8 teaspoons of salt. Leftovers reheat nicely, but casserole does not freeze well.

Chicken Pot Pie Casserole: Several readers like to make this an all-in-one meal by adding drained canned mixed veggies, or cooked/steamed frozen or fresh veggies. Cook 2 sliced carrots, 2 sliced celery stalks, a diced potato and a chopped onion, in about 3 cups of chicken broth. Can season the water with bay leaf, herbs or other non-salt seasonings. When the veggies are tender, drain but reserve the broth. Put the veggies on top of the shredded chicken and add about 1-1/2 cups of frozen peas. Finished as above, using the reserved broth from the veggies.

©Deep South Dish

Mini Impossibly Easy Pies

Baking mixture:

½ cup Original Bisquick mix

½ cup milk

2 eggs

First, start with Bisquick baking mix, milk and eggs. This makes the base for all mini pies.  Combine and start with a little less than at tablespoon in each greased muffin cup.

Next add your filling. Cheeseburger, pepperoni pizza, BLT –whatever you can imagine. Add about ¼ cup of the mixture to each cup.

Finally, top it off with one more tablespoon of the Bisquick® mixture.

Bake for 25-30 minutes then pop them out of the pan.

MISSISSPPI ROAST

Put chuck roast in crock pot, Sprinkle with dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix  and a packet of dry McCormick Au Jus mix, and a stick of butter (sliced and placed on the powdered mix covered meat), 5 pepperoncini peppers around the edges. DO NOT ADD WATER. Cook on low for 7-8 hrs

One Pot Spaghetti 
Throw it all in the pot, INCLUDING the uncooked Pasta, and cook! - Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. The starch leaches out of the pasta and makes a rich, warm sauce for the noodles. The other ingredients cook right along with the pasta
Ingredients

12 ounces pasta (I used Linguine)
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid ( I used zesty red pepper flavor)
1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 large sprigs basil, chopped
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan cheese for garnish

(Really just use anything you like in your spaghetti.  I brown a lb. of ground beef with onion and then cool down the pot and add everything to it.)

Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired .
Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

BUSY DAY TACO SOUP:

1lb Browned Ground Beef or Turkey

1 Large Can Corn (don't drain)

1 Large Can of Pinto Beans (don't drain)

1 Large Can of Rotel Tomatoes (don't drain) - I puree it because my family "doesn't like chuncks of stuff floating in their soup."

1 packet taco seasoning

1 packet ranch seasoning

Throw it all in a pot and simmer...add water to get consistancy you want. Add salt and pepper to taste (although we generally find it isn't necessary).

We top it off with sliced avacado, sour cream, cheese, green onions, and crushed tortilla chips!

MEAT PIE:

Ingredients:

1lb ground beef or turkey

Worcestershire Sauce

Ketchup

Garlic Powder

Salt

Pepper

Shredded Cheese

2 Frozen Pie Crusts

Brown ground meat, add Worcestershire Sauce, ketchup, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Throw it all in the first crust. top with cheese and 2nd pie crust.  Bake according to the pie crust instructions for a two-crust pie and you are DONE!