Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

The BFF Family is doing well. Unfortunately we haven't made the trip to the Fort since Halloween last year, and had to cancel our next planned trip in early October due to work issues. Damn work.

On the plus side, I am selling a kidney so we can do a 4 day cruise on the Dream in November. First ever cruise. I will definitely be hitting "y'all" up for cruise tips over the coming months.

I'm so out of touch that I had to Google Katy Perry.   Sad.

You were better off not knowing.

The BFF Family is doing well. Unfortunately we haven't made the trip to the Fort since Halloween last year, and had to cancel our next planned trip in early October due to work issues. Damn work.

On the plus side, I am selling a kidney so we can do a 4 day cruise on the Dream in November. First ever cruise. I will definitely be hitting "y'all" up for cruise tips over the coming months.

Woo Hoo!

You only need one kidney anyway!

That is awesome news.  I sure hope there will be a trip report.  Or a few pictures at least.

There are quite a few folks here who have cruised on the Dream, so hit us up for tips whenever.

Parents:  Do not let your daughters ride Pirates of the Carribean with Katy Perry.  I hear she kissed a girl.  And she liked it.   

I heard it tasted like cherry Chapstick.

TCD

I'm so out of touch that I had to Google Katy Perry.   Sad.

Are you meaning it is sad that you are so out of touch?  If so, don't be!

Or are you meaning that Katy Perry's story is sad?  If so, then I agree with you.  Her story reminds me to pray for my children and for so many others who are lost and don't even know it.   I hope that Miss Perry realizes just how lost she is and someday turns her life around.

I really mean it.  Don't do it.

TCD

You can't tempt me.  I have learned that when i read on FF.net not to google something, I really shouldn't.

Are you meaning it is sad that you are so out of touch?  If so, don't be!

Or are you meaning that Katy Perry's story is sad?  If so, then I agree with you.  Her story reminds me to pray for my children and for so many others who are lost and don't even know it.   I hope that Miss Perry realizes just how lost she is and someday turns her life around.

Preach it, sister.

The same can be said of almost every single "celebrity" worshiped by our society and media.

You can't tempt me.  I have learned that when i read on FF.net not to google something, I really shouldn't.

Good girl. I hope Gwen listens too.

TCD

Do you think many of her young fans even know about Katy Hudson?  It's very sad. 

Since we are looking at pictures that are a month old now, I am pressing on and trying to get this report done. 

Plus I have bonus material to share, so I've got to try and get caught up here.

We left off on the night of the 4th.  We were all together at the MK, then made it back to the Fort. Twin #2 had to work early in the morning, and decided that she would be better off sleeping at her apartment so she could get ready there.  She was going to be done some time in the early afternoon, so we would be able to do something together in the evening.

Also, today was the day I had to take my oldest to the airport.  She needed to be back at work, and had a meeting on Sunday, so she needed to get back.  I would be running her out to the airport a bit later in the morning.

So, the girls in the camper were going to sleep in a bit.

Fine with me.

When I headed in to the 100/200 loop comfort station to get a shower, it was warmer in there than it was outside.  It was warm in there all day the day before, but I figured the AC just couldn't keep up with the heat and all the hot water in there.

But, clearly, there was something wrong.  I took the cart and went to another comfort station, and that was fine.

On the way back, I stopped by the Meadow Trading Post right at opening for some coffee.

This was odd.  At 8:04 am, all of the 15 minute parking spaces were full.  Who are these people?:

7414358_zps4db31d9c.jpg

Whenever I'm in one of the trading posts, I always look to see if there is any new merchandise.  I always want to know, and I know there are other Fiends who do as well.

Well, there were some new shirts for sale. Not Fort Wilderness themed, though:

7414359_zpsf6fc8b92.jpg

7414360_zps8e404e9c.jpg

Do you see those?  Do any of you want to buy a t-shirt from a National Park when you're at Fort Wilderness?

Who the heck chooses what they try to sell here?

There's another National Park shirt over there, next to the Happy Camper shirts:

7414361_zps3380a768.jpg

They did have the same Fort Wilderness themed shirts that they've had for the past few years:

7414362_zpsce5d063a.jpg

And they're still trying to sell those Pacific Lakes Campground shirts.  As far as I can tell, they have yet to sell one:

7414363_zps294e06f1.jpg

Then there's the book section.  I wonder if they've ever sold a book?:

7414364_zps10f4d848.jpg

I don't know where all the rocking chairs ran off to, but there was one on the front porch, and that's all I needed:

7414365_zps20248c81.jpg

Front Porch Rocking Chair POV photo:

7414366_zps4d16ad05.jpg

As recommended, I sat and rocked through one entire banjo music soundtrack song. Then I moseyed around back.  Nobody was back here. That's how I like it:

7414367_zpsd62e7c30.jpg

Well, not quite.  There were a couple of guests on Bob's dock.  At 8 am?  What the heck is going on around here this morning?:

7414368_zps0e18470e.jpg

The Bear was not swimming:

7414369_zps185d7219.jpg

As required, I headed down to the dock to tell the trespassers to leave.  But, they were engaged in a heated argument, and the guy was bigger than me, so I let it slide just this once. If it had been some rotten kids or some old guy, things would have ended differently:

7414370_zpscc19d729.jpg

Those missing rockers were back here:

7414371_zps843aee13.jpg

A look across at the Bike Barn:

7414372_zps8fae71f8.jpg

This is another one of my favorite views at the Fort:

7414373_zps26f1dc8f.jpg

Since I was here, I decided to take a walk around the pool, and see if anything new was going on there.

Here we are looking at the canal from the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post:

7414374_zps104f4067.jpg

Having just driven through Georgia and Alabama a few weeks before, I couldn't help but notice that some of the Fort's crepe myrtles don't look so hot this summer. These trees in front of the pool used to have a lot more blooms. I don't think they've been pruning them right:

7414375_zps5d390059.jpg

This Closed sign is new.  And since when do they close the pool?:

7414376_zpsc6050c33.jpg

This year, they had several new food and beverage options set up for the 4th.  This sign announces what they were selling at the temporary drink station at the pool:

7414377_zps93de9215.jpg

7414378_zpsb492f8af.jpg

What I don't get is why?

You can buy all of that, and more, every single day from the snack bar right here.  So, what's the point of the temporary drink station?

Dumb.

They have plenty of chairs ready to accommodate the freeloaders who love to visit on holiday weekends:

7414379_zpsdfacc6d2.jpg

It was already reported on ff.net that they have life jackets available to use at the pool now, but this was my first time seeing them:

7414380_zps201e1fe5.jpg

Another closed sign. I wonder what time they set these out, and if people actually abide by them:

7414381_zpsb59c43bf.jpg

I wonder if the hot tub is closed too?:

7414382_zps82e486de.jpg

Here's something most of you rarely see- the pool without people:

7414383_zpsc1097111.jpg

It's a little after 8 am, and the pool is closed.  No one is around. Except for that lady sitting over there by herself:

7414385_zps8faf3002.jpg

What's she doing there?

She's apparently guarding all of the tables in the pavilion, which have all been claimed by an article of clothing:

7414386_zps1b5b82f6.jpg

Hmm.

Who would do that?

I made a mental note that I would need to come back and see who was hogging the pavilion today.

You know what they got right when they re-did the pool?

The landscaping.

Look at this beautiful magnolia bloom:

7414388_zps0787b2c8.jpg

I like that.

Whoops.  We need to stop here, as we've reached the photo limit.

I have some more photos of my walk back to the Trading Post, and then we're going to head down to the beach and see what's going on down there.

TCD

I know this is ridiculous, but this picture:

This is another one of my favorite views at the Fort:

7414373_zps26f1dc8f.jpg

for some reason made me think of the dearly departed lawnmower tree - the way it may have looked years ago before they kept chopping it lower and lower. (I recognize that it is just the picture that cropped the top of that tree off, but it just looks stark like that poor old tree stump did.) I still miss the lawnmower tree.  :-[

I am sorry you got behind on the trip reporting due to technical malfunctions. But a late in the day TR post is a really nice bonus!

Thanks.  It's not a big deal-I'll get caught up one day.  Maybe there will be a late day bonus today as well.

I know this is ridiculous, but this picture:

for some reason made me think of the dearly departed lawnmower tree - the way it may have looked years ago before they kept chopping it lower and lower. (I recognize that it is just the picture that cropped the top of that tree off, but it just looks stark like that poor old tree stump did.) I still miss the lawnmower tree.  :-[

You are a true Fiend. I miss the Lawnmower Tree too.

An Assclown.  

Show some respect.  That's Senorita Assclown to you.

I said "an Asshat" in my head when I read the post. Close. Great minds and all that jazz.

Same thing, don't disrespect our neighbors to the south.

I couldn't do the crowds. No how, no way.

Oh come on, it isn't that bad.  I promise you it won't be boring.

TCD

We're still looking around the pool the morning of July 5th.

I guess that the Fort management recognizes that there is a big problem with freeloaders showing up on weekends and hogging all the picnic tables under the pavilion, and I am pleased to announce that they have finally decided to do something about it.

It's about time.

What did they do?

Brought in some more picnic tables.  You can eat your $10 hot dog over there:

7414389_zpsa2c17818.jpg

Or even over there:

7414390_zpsa99ec776.jpg

Who says the Fort managers are a bunch or idiots?  Problem solved!

Speaking of idiotic ideas, here's a food truck sign.  It is pointing the way toward the pool, when it would actually be better to just continue down the sidewalk.  But, that's not the dumbest thing on the sign.  Look at the times the food truck will operate:

7414391_zps7896fdfe.jpg

7 pm to 10 pm.

I guess they wanted to coincide with the campfire times.  But, I think most people would have already had dinner by then.

Plus, they have hot dogs and nachos and such at the Chuckwagon.

At least this sign tells us what kind of food they're going to serve:

7414392_zps896cff60.jpg

All-American barbecue favorites!

Like slow-cooked barbecued pig wings!

What the Fort?

How is that an all-American barbecue favorite?

What the Fort is a pig wing?

This is needed to see.

If I could make it there between the convenient hours of 7-10.

Here's another one of my favorite places in the Fort- I love walking over that bridge to the 1500 loop:

7414393_zps5e2a0dbf.jpg

I didn't get to walk across it on this trip, though, since we were staying in the high-rent district.

Hey- guess what?  Look at that photo again. Do you see that red awning to the right of the bus stop and light post? 

How about if I zoom in?:

1500bridge_zpsb61f36ae.jpg

That's GDF's ugly Georgia Bulldogs EZ-up awning.

Let's take a look at all the picnic tables the ingenious Fort management have brought in to the Meadow Pool area:

7414394_zps0e926569.jpg

Isn't that great?!

Now there's room for everyone!

Hey, what's that on that picnic table over there?:

7414395_zps2ca497be.jpg

Uh-oh.

Somebody forgot his Magic Band.

I thought about taking it and giving it to Lou.  But, the name was off by a couple of letters:

7414396_zps82a59b91.jpg

I decided it would be best to leave it there in case Leo realized he lost it, and retraced his steps here.

Sorry, but I have to let out a mini-rant here.  How stupid is it that they issue a MagicBand to every single guest at the Fort?  For every single trip?  And personalize them?  How much does that cost?  What about all the packaging and the shipping?  And the darned things still won't open the gates or the comfort station doors!  No wonder prices keep going up.

We are heading back to the Trading Post now. I see a really nice crepe myrtle down the path:

7414397_zps511e9629.jpg

I love the giant sycamore tree behind the Settlement Trading Post, and I often take photos of it.  Here it is in its full summer glory (in case you don't know what a sycamore tree looks like, it's the tallest tree in the photo) :

7414398_zps39355206.jpg

Here's that crepe myrtle I saw walking this way.  Beautiful! :

7414399_zps3b144736.jpg

You fall and winter only Fiends don't get to see that.

Hey, the back porch is crowded:

7414400_zps56ea39ac.jpg

And that couple is still working things out on Bob's dock:

7414401_zpsdcdb8183.jpg

Those of you who can't stand crowds better stay away from the Fort on holidays like the 4th.  Look at all the people here crowded behind the trading post.  I almost had a panic attack.

I know I already posted some photos showing this view, but I took some more because it's so awesome.  Deal:

7414402_zps03bf5db5.jpg

7414403_zps3317386f.jpg

I saw some more new merchandise in the trading post. Maybe you've seen these magnets in here already, but I don't remember them:

7414404_zpsfe462579.jpg

Do you see those?  They have a turkey leg, a Mickey waffle, a Rice Crispy Treat, and even a Mickey Premium Bar!

The waffle looks real:

7414405_zpsa223087c.jpg

Speaking of Mickey Premium Bars.  Tragedy:

7414406_zps37d04721.jpg

Don't worry. Read the sign.  A CM can fetch you one out of the back.  Crisis averted.

You know how they always decorate the fireplace for Halloween and Christmas?  They don't do anything for the 4th.  Commies:

7414407_zps087f9948.jpg

I saw them put these decorations up around Mickey the day they took down the Christmas decorations. It's a nice Spring theme.  But, it's July:

7414408_zps626ea68b.jpg

I had seen enough of the trading post by then.

Time to head down to the beach and see if there's anything going on to prepare for the private party that we heard about here on ff.net.

TCD

I am not sorry.

Neighbors are neighborly.

People like that are Asshats.

I agree the Fall/Winter fiends miss out on the blooms at the Fort. But, I would rather miss out on 2 weeks of freakishly cold weather, so we head south during that time. Now, if I could work out ways to get down there more often, I would love to see some of the stuff we miss out on.