Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

Love twin #1's hammock picture. It looks really professional.

I agree, it looks like an ad!

The dog is in training to be a therapy dog for autistic kids. It needs to be around a lot of people and stuff going on, so they actually encouraged him to pet the dog vs. how you can't pet most service animals. I still bet that was a crazy night for the poor dog. 

I bet they got more than they bargained for taking that poor dog to the MK on the 4th of July!

I know Mo has had some success with a weighted vest for her dogs and something else.  Perhaps the service dog had something like that?  At least I hope so!

The thundershirt!  We have one for our dog.  She wears it in the car, it does calm her down.  Not sure it would help surrounded by thousands of people, with exploding fireworks over her head.  She'd probably have a heart attack.

But if you need a chuckle, google cats wearing the thundershirt.  It does not have the same effect on them that it does on dogs.

Eno hammocks are the rage with all age groups. All 3 of my boys have them and sleep in them on boy scout camping trips. They have done a stack of 3 -- I didn't know there was a contest or I would have taken a picture for it.   I even have one that was a hand me down from my older son. He had a single one, then got a double one plus the fancier straps for his birthday. Then he wanted a rainfly so I got him that in exchange for him giving me his single one and basic straps.  Now he wants the bug net also. I wish I had stock in that company. 

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of thunder.  That person would not be able to do things when it thunders, when a loud bang happens, when vehicles beep or an alarm goes off.

The people that have service dogs rely on their dog for help.  They can not have a dog that gets scared from sounds.  Bringing the dog to the MK is a perfect way to test the dog out one of the worst case situations for the dog.

It was very nice to meet you! 

Those hammocks are big in high school too. Our campus is pretty big, and sometimes the kids string them up during lunch. I will have one of those hammocks on our cruise next year because we have the cabin with the huge balcony again. 

You captured a little bit of Z in his stroller in the dog and lady's butt picture. So, I asked her about that dog because Z was fascinated that a dog was on the boat. The dog is in training to be a therapy dog for autistic kids. It needs to be around a lot of people and stuff going on, so they actually encouraged him to pet the dog vs. how you can't pet most service animals. I still bet that was a crazy night for the poor dog. 

Same here.  It's always fun to finally meet a Fiend in person.  Without exception, Fiends are interesting and cool people.

I thought the dog's vest said that it was in training.  That's interesting that the lady encouraged Z to pet the dog.  We always taught our children that they should not pet or approach service animals, because I think in most cases, they don't want people to distract the dog.  Letting kids pet that dog could lead to confusion and problems down the road the next time a kid sees a service animal.

Brian has a hammock like that. Was like $20 from target. His good woven one got destroyed by squirrels when he didn't bring it in one night. They tore that sucker up. Adam hates the new one because he can't get in it by himself.

I'll bet if Brian hung the hammock lower, Adam could get in it.  Or better yet, get that boy his own hammock.

Good updates.  Love the hammock shots.  Eno should be very happy with the pic that Twin #1 posted - it's so cute!

Interesting and a little worrisome to think about the dog at the MK on the 4th of July.  My dogs absolutely hate fireworks.  This 4th, one of them got on our bed at the lake and peed on it while we were outside watching fireworks.  Ray found it when he went to bed that night.  

Fun times.

LOL.  Poor Ray.  That's a great story.  I'll bet it wasn't so funny at the time, though.

I know Mo has had some success with a weighted vest for her dogs and something else.  Perhaps the service dog had something like that?  At least I hope so!

I hope so too.  It's possible the dog got back on the boat and went back to the Fort.  I never saw it in the MK.

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Quit bragging.

I have a triple ENO.

Not really.

I made that up.  I don't even think there are triple ENO's.

I am going to get my own some time.  My big rope hammock takes up a lot of room, and is a PITA to tie up to trees. The strap systems they sell with the ENO's are pretty amazing.

Never have time for a hammock. When we first started rving we took one with us hung it up and never used it. So after several trips it got left at home.

I have to make time for the hammock.  When I do get the chance to lie down, it's usually only for a few minutes.  I always have the best of intentions to use it more.  But, it usually sits empty and mocks me.

Great update.

Love twin #1's hammock picture. It looks really professional.

I think I'd like your hammock better. Twin #1's hammock looks like you wouldn't get much of a breeze.

The photo was taken by one of Twin #1's friends, who also is majoring in journalism.  These kids are really good photographers.

The girls say that the hammocks aren't hot- but I agree with you- I'd rather not be surrounded by all the nylon.

Love the hammock picture. My husband has one. He sleeps in it when he goes Boy Scout camping with our oldest. He says it's much better than sleeping on the ground in a tent.

Wow, everyone has an ENO!

Back in my day, when I was a Boy Scout, I had a hammock like this one:

selva-tactical-gear-military-mesh-hammoc

Those roll up into a ball about the size of a large grapefruit, and were great for backpacking.  I slept in mine all the time.  But, I always figured that was OK for a 15 or 16 year old back, but not so much for a 40 or 50 year old back, so I have never broken it out again.  I think I still have it in a box with some of my old camping gear.  Maybe I'll dig it out, and take it with me the next time I visit Twin #1 at school. I can show the kids how we used to do it Old School.

TCD

I agree, it looks like an ad!

I hope so. These kids are majoring in Journalism and Public Relations. Maybe they'll get paid to take photos like that some day.

I bet they got more than they bargained for taking that poor dog to the MK on the 4th of July!

I hope it wasn't the dog's first exposure to crowds and fireworks. The MK on the night of 4th may be the craziest of all the crazy times.

The thundershirt!  We have one for our dog.  She wears it in the car, it does calm her down.  Not sure it would help surrounded by thousands of people, with exploding fireworks over her head.  She'd probably have a heart attack.

My dog would too. We've thought about getting him a thundershirt, but he'd have to wear it 24/7 in the summer.

But if you need a chuckle, google cats wearing the thundershirt.  It does not have the same effect on them that it does on dogs.

I will try to remember to take a look at this some time. I'm afraid if I looked now, I'd be looking all day.

Eno hammocks are the rage with all age groups. All 3 of my boys have them and sleep in them on boy scout camping trips. They have done a stack of 3 -- I didn't know there was a contest or I would have taken a picture for it.   I even have one that was a hand me down from my older son. He had a single one, then got a double one plus the fancier straps for his birthday. Then he wanted a rainfly so I got him that in exchange for him giving me his single one and basic straps.  Now he wants the bug net also. I wish I had stock in that company.

Yes, I've seen photos of the hammocks stacked. Crazy stuff.

Even though ENO posted Twin #1's photo, and it got a lot of likes, she didn't win anything. There was a comment made by ENO on their site saying that they do not recommend hanging the hammocks higher than 18" from the ground. But, then they post photos of all kinds of crazy stuff. That 18" thing obviously comes from their lawyers. The lawyers might want to take a look at their Insta page.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of thunder.  That person would not be able to do things when it thunders, when a loud bang happens, when vehicles beep or an alarm goes off.

The people that have service dogs rely on their dog for help.  They can not have a dog that gets scared from sounds.  Bringing the dog to the MK is a perfect way to test the dog out one of the worst case situations for the dog.

Good point. Service dogs have to be ready for anything. But, even so, does the poor dog need to be at the MK on the craziest night of the year?

I have friends who adopted a dog that flunked service dog training. There's a place in Sarasota that trains the dogs, and these dogs are trained rigorously. This one had a distraction problem, so she flunked. She's an awesome dog otherwise- very well behaved, and she knows a ton of voice commands. She just couldn't be trusted to not be distracted by a squirrel or something else on the job, so she got put up for adoption, From what I understand, there is a waiting list for the dogs that flunk, and the school charges a hefty adoption fee.

TCD

We have one of the eno hammocks it is awesome!  We have a knock of for one of the boys and we will be buying a second before our next trip.   :)  They are super comfortable, but I guess it's the momma in me, I can't stand laying in it because I can't see what is going on .  I like a camping chair with the feet props better.  

Hmm.  I never thought about not being able to see from the hammock.  I wouldn't like that either.  Maybe I'll stick wit the good old Official TCD Hammock.

TCD

Let's get back on track . . .

We left off with our arrival at the MK.  As mentioned, GDF was on the same boat as us, and we had briefly discussed strategy for the fireworks.  I know we were going to try to get onto Main Street, and GDF wasn't quite sure where she wanted to go.

I knew that we hadn't allowed enough time for us to get a good spot further down Main Street, but I thought we might have a chance for someplace closer to the flag pole.

Well, as soon as we came out from under the train station, there were CM's there directing guests to the right and through the backstage area that dumps out into Tomorrowland.  We got fooled into that on NYE, and went left instead of right.  No one stopped us.

So, we ended up heading up Main Street.

One problem- it was wall to wall people.  Literally.

The CM's were keeping a center aisle open.  Presumably, if anyone walked all the way up the center, he would then be directed to one side, and down one of the sidewalks and out into Tomorrowland.  So, we just walked up a little way.  Twin #1 and big sister found a space to the right, and I found a space to the left.  Not ideal, but we were on Main Street.

Want to see how it looked?

Like this:

7414316_zps95093107.jpg

We stood in place for a while. It was just 8:22, and the fireworks wouldn't be until 9:

7414317_zpscee31d00.jpg

I think we were lucky to have found a spot where we did. The people around us seemed to have been here for a while:

7414318_zps4197d05c.jpg

Yes, those people are sitting on Main Street.  On the 4th of July.

This was the crowd behind us:

7414319_zpsc62ccdf0.jpg

And this was the crowd in front of us:

7414320_zpsd1ff64fa.jpg

Right at 8:30, CM's came through the crowd and asked everyone to please stand, and move forward a bit.  That actually made things a bit less crowded, and the three of us were then able to stand together.  We purposely did not move all the way up to the people in front of us, so we would have some breathing room and not be too packed in.  I thought we were in good shape and would have a great view of the fireworks.:

7414323_zpsa20d8c55.jpg

By 8:33, it was starting to get dark:

7414324_zps80616c94.jpg

As soon as it got dark, they started to project red, white and blue lights on the castle and stars too:

7414325_zps65243c62.jpg

They had obviously closed off Main Street to any more guests.  No one around us was moving or pushing or shoving.  That was great.  Actually better than a lot of more out of the way places we've tried.

Just 9 more minutes!:

7414328_zpsde279ea4.jpg

Then, from out of nowhere, some people crowded in to the space we had left between us and the people in front of us.  I had left a little space, but not enough space for people to fit.  But, these people squeezed in anyway.  Now we felt crowded:

7414329_zpse8fa2db9.jpg

And it was too late for us to do anything about it.  It was now dark, and the fireworks were about to start:

7414330_zps122df849.jpg

That meant all the phones and iPads were coming out.  Look at all the screens lit up in this photo:

7414332_zps22aec61d.jpg

You can see a little bit of one of the new people who crammed in front of us at the last minute in that last photo, but let me give them a proper introduction. Please meet my new Brazilian friends:

7414336_zps78975597.jpg

7414337_zps4b72f8d0.jpg

Yup.  My view of the fireworks was going to be disrupted by a couple who aren't even American.

But, the dude did have a sweet Brazil jester's hat:

4thfireworksbrazil_zps5fbf5d05.jpg

At least he didn't have an iPad, like the lady over there:

7414346_zps3f60eddf.jpg

You know what, though?

This was still a great place to watch the fireworks.  There's no way photos can convey what it's like to be there and to be surrounded by the fireworks, but here's a couple of photos:

4thFireworks2014_zpse7e481c8.jpg

4thFireworksfinale_zps93490032.jpg

They were great.

I think the 4th of July fireworks in the MK are my favorite of all the fireworks shows they do at WDW.

I forgot to mention a couple of things.

Before the fireworks started, the CM's around us told us that if we wanted to stay in the park after the fireworks, we should turn around and walk out, and then through the bypass toward Tomorrowland. 

The other thing was that Twin #2 was going to try to meet us at the MK for the fireworks after she got off of work.  She actually made it into the park, and up Main Street, and was just off to the side of us.  After the fireworks, she went up Main
Street and texted us that she was near the ice cream parlor.  So we swam upstream to meet her there.  Then we headed toward Tomorrowland through the restaurant there.  But, when we got to the restaurant, there were CM's there stopping all guests, and saying that this was one-way only. There was nobody coming out of there, but they wouldn't let us through.  We had to turn around and go backstage, and walk around to the back entrance to Tomorrowland.  Ugh.  All that swimming upstream for nothing.

So, we ended up backstage. They have long since given up trying to stop people from taking pictures back here, so I helped myself:

7414351_zpsc4b54186.jpg

Now, here's where it go hairy.  Because they sent everyone back here, there was a huge bottleneck at the one entrance into Tomorrowland.  You can see the huge crowd in front of us, and the small opening that everyone was trying to get through:

7414353_zpse37a86e4.jpg

It was hot.

It was dark.

And we were not moving.

At all.

People behind us were pushing.

For a moment there, it felt like the crowd was going to lose it.

It didn't help things that there were huge tour groups in this mob of people.  And they were screaming competing chants in their foreign tongues to each other.  Trying to drown each other out.  A big group of American teens near me then started singing the Star Spangled Banner.  And, a lot of my fellow Americans joined in.  What a scene.  The biggest regret I have from this trip is that I didn't video this scene.  It's something you would have to see to believe.

Finally, the crowd began to move again.  I think the idiot CM's up front had stopped people from being able to enter for a while, and we made it in to a very, very crowded Tomorrowland.

Remember how we had FP+'s for Peter Pan?

That's where we went next.

It was wall to wall people the whole way.

When we came out of Peter Pan, it was crowded, but not wall to wall people as it had been.

Next up was the Haunted Mansion.

But, Twin #2 had not had dinner and wanted a snack.  We stopped at the place next to the Hall of Presidents and got some ice cream and drinks.  But, Twin #2 wanted a pretzel.  She had to go to that stand in Frontierland to get it.

We sat down and waited.

When Twin #2 came back, she told us the strangest thing had happened.

As she walked toward Frontierland, she got caught up in a group being led by several of the VIP plaid vest tour guides.  She said there was one in front, one in back, and one on each side, and a group of about 18-20 guests being guided by them. She said the guests were people in their 20's with a lot of piercings and tattoos, and weird clothes.  What could that have been about?

We found out later that night, that Twin #2 had been caught up in Katy Perry's entourage , as they were moving from the Haunted Mansion to the Pirates ride.

Did you know Katy Perry was at the Magic Kingdom on July 4th?

Well, she was.

And Twin #2 almost got to ride the Pirate ride with them.

If you want to see a bunch of spoiled rich kids enjoying the Magic Kingdom, including taking flash photography in the Haunted Mansion and Pirates, and eating pizza in the Castle suite, please enjoy this photo gallery:

http://ronyspb.com/disneyworld/all.htmlhttp://ronyspb.com/disneyworld/all.html

How do you like that?

Those A-holes got to sit on the grass to watch the fireworks while I had to stand behind the Brazilian Jester!

Oh well, that isn't the last bunch of rich A-holes we ran into on this trip.

After we used our Haunted Mansion FP+'s, we were out of FP+'s, and the park was still very crowded.

We decided to head out.

And we did.

The Fort was dead when we got back.

We looped around to see if anyone was out and about.

The only people we saw were a group of teens who had been stopped by security. 

Otherwise, everyone was in bed.

So we went to bed too.

Don't stop reading now though, tomorrow ends up being an epic day.

TCD

No, no, no - there is no way we would have survived those crowds.  One day maybe I'll make it for the 4th fireworks, but I doubt Ray will have any interest in joining me.  He just doesn't like humanity enough to bear those crowds.

But the fireworks do look amazing, though.

Edited 'cause I forgot to reply to this:

LOL. Poor Ray. That's a great story. I'll bet it wasn't so funny at the time, though.

I actually managed to help Ray believe what he wanted to believe - that the wet spot was from some kid sitting on the bed in a wet bathing suit.  (Of course, since all the kids are now 16+, we all know that's not what happened.)  So we're going to let that truth stay a little secret among Fiends.

How do you like that?

Those A-holes got to sit on the grass to watch the fireworks while I had to stand behind the Brazilian Jester!

Not only did they get to sit on the grass, they had enough room to do cartwheels.

Did you just complain about the people who pushed in front of you right before fireworks started, in the paragraph after you talked about how you walked up the narrow pathway of humanity and pushed in the middle of all those people "around us seemed to have been here for a while"?  Nice.

Also...I really wish Disney would not cater to celebrities....or at least charge them out the "A" for the kind of access they get, although I could not get that access even with a stack of money.  I would bet, just guessing here, they comp them on everything just for the privilege of having them at their park.

Somewhere in America, someone is sharpening their pitchfork. 

I'm sure. 

Hey, when are you going go let Dave have his account back?

Your view of the fireworks was much better than mine. But the crowd at the end sounds scary.

Fuego!

And that was the first I'd heard about Katy Perry.

It wasn't really scary.  More like super annoying.  Especially the chanting in foreign tongues.  On the 4th of July, no less.

Yeah, I was surprised to hear about Katy Perry after the fact.  As far as I know, she wasn't there to perform.  But, now I wonder if she did a show for the Luckows?

Wow.  Insane crowds. You were brave.

Insane, yes.

Brave, no.

I actually enjoy going when it's packed.  The more packed the better. I don't know why I like it, but I do.

They should not have allowed her to were that outfit into the MK.  She basically had on underwear.  Why do people have to wear things just to make other people uncomfortable???

That whole bunch needed baths and more clothes as far as I'm concerned.

What a bunch of freaks.

No, no, no - there is no way we would have survived those crowds.  One day maybe I'll make it for the 4th fireworks, but I doubt Ray will have any interest in joining me.  He just doesn't like humanity enough to bear those crowds.

But the fireworks do look amazing, though.

Edited 'cause I forgot to reply to this:

I actually managed to help Ray believe what he wanted to believe - that the wet spot was from some kid sitting on the bed in a wet bathing suit.  (Of course, since all the kids are now 16+, we all know that's not what happened.)  So we're going to let that truth stay a little secret among Fiends.

You guys had the tour groups when you visited.  This probably wasn't much worse than that.

So, if I ever get to meet Ray, I shouldn't mention that time he lay down on the dog pee?

Not only did they get to sit on the grass, they had enough room to do cartwheels.

I saw that.

Must be nice.

Oops. Stupid ghost.

Don't call the ghost names.  You'll be sorry.

Did you just complain about the people who pushed in front of you right before fireworks started, in the paragraph after you talked about how you walked up the narrow pathway of humanity and pushed in the middle of all those people "around us seemed to have been here for a while"?  Nice.

Also...I really wish Disney would not cater to celebrities....or at least charge them out the "A" for the kind of access they get, although I could not get that access even with a stack of money.  I would bet, just guessing here, they comp them on everything just for the privilege of having them at their park.

Whoot!

A BFF post!

This is getting good!

Now, I have to defend myself. We did not push our way in front of anyone.  We walked up the street and found open spaces where there was room for us to stand. Also, I was not wearing ugly and offensive headgear like a Brazilian Jester's hat or an Ohio State Buckeyes ball cap.  What those Brazilians did is totally different. Plus, I'm from here.  I think that's enough rationalization/justification.

Agreed on the celebrity part.  It really bugs me seeing those filthy hippies jumping up and down on the beds in the Castle Suite.  So disrespectful.

TCD

Whoot!

A BFF post!

This is getting good!

You are too kind.

Now, I have to defend myself. We did not push our way in front of anyone.  We walked up the street and found open spaces where there was room for us to stand. Also, I was not wearing ugly and offensive headgear like a Brazilian Jester's hat or an Ohio State Buckeyes ball cap.  What those Brazilians did is totally different. Plus, I'm from here.  I think that's enough rationalization/justification.

What you did there....I see it.

Also, that kind of attitude is why libs say the rest of the world hates us....so keep up the good work.

Agreed on the celebrity part.  It really bugs me seeing those filthy hippies jumping up and down on the beds in the Castle Suite.  So disrespectful.

Walt's head would hate Katy Perry.

You are too kind.

Not really, but I am glad to see a post from you. I hope all is well with you and your family.

What you did there....I see it.

Also, that kind of attitude is why libs say the rest of the world hates us....so keep up the good work.

I know. I'm sorry. Just having a little fun. I know you can take it. Plus, the Buckeyes are looking to have a good season this year, while my team is hopelessly lost.

Hey, if those foreigners hate us so much, they can just stay home and blow their vuvuzelas and watch their own fireworks on the 4th of July. Otherwise, they need to tone it down when they come here.

I don't imagine you run into a lot of Brazilians around the farm in Ohio. Trust me, they would get on your nerves pretty bad. And the Argentinians aren't far behind.

Walt's head would hate Katy Perry.

That's true.

Whenever they get around to unthawing him, whoever let her and those filthy hippies jump on the bed better hope Walt doesn't figure out how to use the internet and see those pictures.

TCD

For anyone interested in hearing more about Katy Perry's visit to WDW, it was mentioned on the Official Disney Parks Blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/07/katy-perry-visits-walt-disney-world-resort-during-fourth-of-july-holiday-weekend/

There's a video there that shows her meeting Mickey and Minnie in what looks like a room full of old props. Does anyone know where this is?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W24Q0UKliU4

Also, I found a little blurb on this site that says she sang "Firework" at Hollywood Studios:

http://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/katy-perry-disney-world-4th-of-july/

That's the first I've heard of that, but there are photos that show her gang in the Sci-Fi Drive In.  I wonder if the Luckows were there?

TCD