Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

The TCD gang made it back to the Fort for another 4th of July. The logistics were challenging, but we made it.

Here's how it went- the oldest TCD DD got almost a full week off from her gig at Auburn, and flew home earlier in the week.

Twin #1 had to go back to Gainesville at the end of June to take some summer classes.  But, she would have the 4th off, and could drive down to the Fort on the night of the 3rd to meet us.

Twin #2 was working hard at the Disney College Program, and was able to snag us a CM rate on a campsite for the weekend beginning July 3rd.  A preferred site for just over $50 a night. 

Sweet.

The only bad part is Twin #2 rarely gets a day off on weekends.  And, there was no way she would get time off over the 4th.  So, she had to work some of every day.  Mostly at night, though.  So, she was going to sleep at the camper after work on the 3rd, and watch the golf cart parade and have breakfast with us on the 4th.

So, our story begins on the morning of July 3.  I had the oldest TCD DD with me, and we headed east a little before 9 am.  That was fun.  I can't remember when the last time was that it was she and I alone driving to WDW.  That's how this all began a long time ago.  But, she's been a little busy for the past few years or so.

We had smooth sailing on the way over- no problems with weather or traffic, and we hit the MK gates right around 10:45 am:

7414032_zps30a48b56.jpg

Next stop, the Fort:

7414033_zps1c3f3952.jpg

I never found out what was going on here, but they had the returning guest lane blocked off so everyone had to go by the guard:

7414034_zps994b6dcb.jpg

Twin #2 had to meet us there to check us in, and then she headed to our site with us.  We got site 123.  We had this site for Memorial Day weekend last year.  It is just two sites down from the VIP cabins, and backs up to the path to the Settlement.  Nice site.  I was happy.

Twin #2 and the oldest daughter took off to shop at the CM store and get some lunch.

And, I proceeded to get set up. 

In case you're wondering, it's hot in July.  I was sweating worse than usual, but I got everything set up, and the AC running before the girls got back.

I managed to borrow a cart from Richie this trip.  And, I got to see him too.  Great guy.  I knew that there were other Fiends around, but we had a tight schedule to keep, as I had been able to snag a couple of Mine Train Fastpasses for 2:05-3:05, and we needed to get to the MK to use them.  Twin #2 needed to head to work, so she did.

We had a big problem, though.  I had cut the time too close.  We know from previous experience that you can arrive 5 minutes early or 15 minutes late for a FP, and it will be honored.  That meant we needed to be at the Mine Train by 3:20, or we would be shut-out.

This photo was taken as we pulled away from the Fort dock at 3:03 pm:

7414035_zpseb2a5f4d.jpg

It would be real close.

But, we were going to try.

I knew that we might run into the Festival of Fantasy parade coming down Main Street, which certainly wouldn't help things.  But, we were going to try.

There was something going on over at the CM dock, and what looked like pontoon boats covered with plastic:

7414036_zpsf41aea97.jpg

And, do you see all these orange buoys in the water?  Something is up:

7414039_zps04887242.jpg

The placement of these buoys had been announced on ff.net earlier that week.  The speculation was that these were marking anchor points for some barges for a special party and fireworks show that would take place at the Fort beach on July 5.

For this trip, our boat didn't go the normal route to the MK.  Instead we went the long way around Discovery Island.  And, we got held up some in the canal by the water bridge.

Bag check wasn't bad.  But, still, it was right around 3:18 when we walked into the MK.  Even if we ran, we wouldn't make it to the Mine Train by 3:20.  Fail.

Oh well, the Festival of Fantasy parade was probably going to be coming down Main Street at that very minute, so we decided to find a spot somewhere around the flagpole to watch it.

My daughter suggested the Train Station.  We've always wanted to watch the parade from the Train Station.  Maybe today would be the day.  We hurried up there, and found a spot behind some the first row of people who had pulled up chairs to watch.  Not bad.  This was our view, at 3:20 pm:

7414040_zps412084d3.jpg

Hmm.  It's 3:20 pm.  Where's the 3:00 parade?

I mentioned that to my daughter, and one of the people sitting there said they had two parades today, so the second one wasn't until 3:30.  Oh, so the 3:00 parade would be at 3:30.

it takes a good 20 minutes for the parade to make it to Main Street, so we had a half hour wait.  We were in the shade, but it's still pretty hot up there on the platform.

At 3:52, we finally saw the beginning of the parade making its way toward us:

7414041_zps30bccfcc.jpg

If you're ever running late and looking for a spot to watch the parade, look how open it is around the flag pole.  Of course, you're in direct sunlight, and it's blazing hot, but there is plenty of room.

Here's the first float, as seen from up high:

7414045_zps4653d5d1.jpg

And there's the Tangled float:

7414047_zps71602f36.jpg

The back of the first float, which features Anna and Elsa as well as Tiana and Naveen, was not spinning.  Anna had some kind of issue:

7414050_zps8aebf263.jpg

You can really see how tall these new parade floats are from here on the Train Station- this is the top of the Tangled float:

7414055_zpseeb276e2.jpg

After all the times we've seen this parade from the ground, it's weird that we were looking down to see Flynn today:

7414057_zps0cdee8c9.jpg

Check this out- look down the street and look how high the Peter Pan float is:

7414060_zpsf5a53d81.jpg

Let's take a closer look at that.  I've marked the top of the float with an arrow, and drew a line across showing how tall it is relative to the Main Street buildings:

floatheight_zps70d4580b.jpg

The reason I'm pointing out the height is that there were rumors last year that this new parade would mean they couldn't string the garland on Main Street for Christmas anymore. You know, this garland:

FW121313061_zpsc8c4d7f8.jpg

I think that rumor is true.

Finishing up with the parade, here's the Ariel float:

7414062_zpsc56fa05f.jpg

And the Peter Pan float up close:

7414071_zpsf9486965.jpg

Go Gata:

7414076_zpsd87a9d80.jpg

Merida:

7414077_zps6d259e35.jpg

I now have the timing down to get fire shots of the dragon:

7414079_zpsd61f01a3.jpg

This one also features the dragon pilot with his purple earmuffs- just like the movie (it's in the bonus features I guess) :

7414084_zps116f738c.jpg

And here comes Mickey and the angry mob trying to leave.  Which meant it was time for us to bug out too so we wouldn't get caught in that mob:

7414090_zpsbc241671.jpg

The reason we needed to get back is that Twin #1 was able to get away early, and was due at the campsite at any moment, and we had received a bit of good news as I was trying to see if I could change our missed Mine Train FP's into something. 

Look:

fpmessage_zpsccfef14d.png

I guess the ride shut down or something, and now our FP's were good anytime for the rest of the night.  That was perfect, because I had a single FP lined up for 7:25-8:25, and that meant the three of us could now ride together.

So, we caught the boat and headed back to the Fort.

TCD

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t