Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

Buckle up, we're moving on.  I am way behind on this TR, and we need to get it moving.

We're already done with the 3rd.  I kind of failed on the photo-taking on the 3rd, but I think I made up for it on the 4th.

As you probably already guessed, I was up early on the 4th.  I knew the campground would be crowded and busy all day, so I wanted to do some early morning looping and enjoy a quiet and peaceful start to the day. 

Mission accomplished.

I started the coffee, grabbed a quick shower, and hopped on the cart with the first cup of coffee.

First stop, the marina.

Now that I've read GDF's report, I know that she had beat me here this morning by just a bit.  She must have driven right past my site as the coffee was brewing.

I think she had run by here a little before 7.  Here I was at Fort Wilderness Landing at 7:06 am:

7414127_zps507ed781.jpg

As you can see, there were already CM's out and about at this early hour preparing for a the big day ahead.

They put up this sign every 4th of July- it's because the shoot off extra fireworks over the Seven Seas Lagoon:

7414128_zps775e6f2d.jpg

I just loved this morning's sunrise- you can see the rays of the sun peeking through that opening in the clouds.  And look how the sky is reflected on the water.  This is my favorite time of day at the Fort:

7414129_zps95d70e02.jpg

That was so pretty, it deserved a second shot:

7414130_zpsc056f20e.jpg

If you want to go to the MK early from the Fort, don't expect to take the MK boat.  It doesn't start running until 30 minutes before park opening, and you will be lucky to get there before the park opens:

7414131_zps3697e221.jpg

A look to the west:

7414132_zpsb01fea05.jpg

These are the pontoon boats you can rent.  The size of the outboard motors on these things crack me up.  I don't even know how the boats can move.  If you look over on the beach, you can see the guy with the little tractor raking the beach.  I want his job:

7414133_zps03d89fe7.jpg

Another sunrise shot, sorry:

7414134_zpsabf13f06.jpg

There goes the resort boat heading to the Contemporary with the noisy bunch who was ruining this moment for me.  I never thought they'd leave.  Now I had the dock all to myself.  And peace and quiet:

7414135_zps3590accf.jpg

I stood here on the end of the dock and sipped my coffee and listened to the birds chirping.  I wish I was there now:

7414136_zps5631b877.jpg

7414137_zps0376253e.jpg

Here's your basic bird reflecting in the water with the guy raking the beach on the tractor shot:

7414138_zpse78f68a7.jpg

I wasn't sure if I got the reflection right in that shot, so I took one more for good measure:

7414139_zps0bf41245.jpg

This canoe isn't usually here.  It's a prop they will use for food and drink service on the beach tonight:

7414140_zpsd8c9d59a.jpg

I would have liked to stay out there on the dock longer, but I had to make my morning rounds. 

The roses at the Settlement Trading Post were looking good:

7414141_zps97eb36bb.jpg

They are right on the usual schedule for letting wagons rot behind the Trading Post. The covered wagon still sits here looking as pathetic as it did the day they pushed it back here over six months ago:

7414142_zpsa6f419f5.jpg

They haven't gotten around to replacing the regular sign that got knocked down during the recent work done around the dam behind the 300 loop, so they still just have this paper sign saying no golf carts allowed.  They need to make it bigger, I didn't even see it:

7414143_zpse6ce713c.jpg

Nothing is happening in the clearing where they one day plan to build the new dining pavilion:

7414144_zpsc8d1e487.jpg

Aw, look what's there down the path:

7414149_zpsfffb13bf.jpg

7414151_zps55a817b5.jpg

Those deer disappeared into the thick brush:

7414157_zpsf542aba4.jpg

Well, not entirely:

7414158_zpse10b40ac.jpg

Yes.  My favorite spot at my favorite time of day:

7414160_zps40d64d1d.jpg

It's hard to believe that right across the water there, in just a few hours, that place will be packed with screaming South American teens celebrating our country's birth:

7414161_zpsc1dfa8bb.jpg

It sure doesn't seem like anything has taken up residence in the BABH:

7414163_zps118ac5e9.jpg

Access denied:

7414164_zps51e1e8fa.jpg

I saw no signs of life:

7414165_zps384b52f6.jpg

I used to love to stand on the bridge here and gaze down this canal.  Now, I have to peek through the fence to do that:

7414166_zpsfd978aeb.jpg

Very nice:

7414167_zpsa84d1751.jpg

Well, except for how that huge building is poking up above the trees:

714FourSeasons_zpsb8ccb214.jpg

We're at the photo limit.

We will continue with our morning rounds in the next update.

TCD

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

Dave may have been kidding about the strobe lights.   That's what they're currently using in Expedition Everest instead of fixing the broken Yeti there.

I haven't seen anyone get turned away from the Mine Train for being too tall.  The leg restraints are tight, that's for sure, but I think a tall person could just pull the bar down until it locks, and it would be fine.

It was good to finally meet you, too, Mark.

I got to meet a lot of Fiends for the first time on this trip.  There were 4 new spike recipients.

You're lucky you got home dry.  I almost did, but drove through some really heavy rain around Tampa.  I had to open the camper back up, because I always seem to get some water in it if I tow in the rain.  BTW- I don't think you left until the morning of the 6th.

I hope you get around to starting your trip report.

TCD

You're right.

Originally we were leaving on the 5th but added a day so we could relax after the 4th.

Plus we got the free concert and super fireworks!

Wow. Look at this damn picture. Look! This photo knocked my socks off. As you were reading Andrew's report, you probably skimmed past this photo, but go back and look at it again.

If it hadn't been posted by TCD, I'd say it was Photoshopped.

7414122_zps68bf7831.jpg

It's night...the attraction is beautifully exposed, and the firework is perfectly exposed! And is that a chicken?

Love pictures of the Fort.  If I close my eyes, I can pretend we're there.  Embarrassed to admit this...but often times we pull up youtube on our living room tv and put on videos of the Fort :)   It's great to feel like you're "back home".

Mornings are always my favorite and a beautiful morning that the Fort are very tough to beat.

Nice pics.

Wow. Look at this damn picture. Look! This photo knocked my socks off. As you were reading Andrew's report, you probably skimmed past this photo, but go back and look at it again.

7414122_zps68bf7831.jpg

It's night...the attraction is beautifully exposed, and the firework is perfectly exposed! And is that a chicken?

I actually thought the same thing that is a very nice shot.

Could we replace the mermaid ride with something Russian themed?  Complete with Russian beers for DIT?

Now, there's an idea.  But, if you serve that Russian beer Dave calls the Green Death, you wouldn't even need a ride.  Just have guests sit in chairs looking at a blank wall, and their hallucinations will keep them entertained.

You're right.

Originally we were leaving on the 5th but added a day so we could relax after the 4th.

Plus we got the free concert and super fireworks!

That ended up being a good move. The night of the 5th was fun.

Great update!  Early mornings are my absolute favorite time of day at the Fort too.

Me too.  (Me, not you, though you would be welcome to be there too!)

I hope you made it out to see some sunrises on your recent visit.

GAG. Check

Early morning pics! Check

The wagon....wtf!

Looking forward to more FP+ workarounds!

I know.  Can you believe that wagon is still sitting there like that?

I will be getting to the FP+ workaround soon, so pay attention.  As an added bonus, I'm going to share a TCD Fort secret as well.

Love the fact you all 3 TCD girls with you to celebrate the 4th with you.

Great pix of the fireworks over BTMRR. And morning shots from the dock.

I was out of the country for two weeks and worked for a week from the lake and had limited wifi access.

It was nice to get the girls together.  With Twin #2 having to work part of every day, it was hard.  We did have a nice morning together on the 4th, which I am about to get to.

Love pictures of the Fort.  If I close my eyes, I can pretend we're there.  Embarrassed to admit this...but often times we pull up youtube on our living room tv and put on videos of the Fort :)   It's great to feel like you're "back home".

Mornings are always my favorite and a beautiful morning that the Fort are very tough to beat.

Nice pics.

Thanks.

I don't pull up videos of the Fort.  I'm lucky enough that when I need a fix, I can just go.  But, I know the feeling.

TCD

Now, there's an idea.  But, if you serve that Russian beer Dave calls the Green Death, you wouldn't even need a ride.  Just have guests sit in chairs looking at a blank wall, and there hallucinations will keep them entertained.

Technically, Green Death is a Ukrainian beer.  Which gives me an idea of how those Ukrainians could fight back against the current Russian aggression. 

7414122_zps68bf7831.jpg

I actually thought the same thing that is a very nice shot.

Thanks, guys, but I do not claim to be a photographer.  My photos are taken with a little point and shoot camera that fits in my pocket.

As proof that was just a lucky shot, here are a couple of other photos I snapped right before that one:

7414118_zps2f74b9da.jpg

7414121_zps6bda6e28.jpg

That thing Troll thinks is a chicken is just some kind of light on the mountain.

TCD

I'm in! I think my favorite part of the report, so far, is where all three TCD sisters stayed up late catching up. It's great having sisters and I couldn't imagine being away from mine for too long. :)

That's my favorite part too.

It's really fun to be around them when they get together now.  They all have interesting stories to share.

I am blessed.

TCD

We need an update.  So, here we go.

We left off on the morning of July 4th.  We've visited the marina, saw some deer, looked at the MK across Bay Lake, and saw the BABH.

Now, we're out front of the 300 loop, watching the sun rise over the playground and dog park:

7414168_zps89992337.jpg

The swamp between 300 and 1500 waking up:

7414169_zps43e492ff.jpg

7414170_zps13187ee8.jpg

I hadn't gotten the chance to loop very much the day before, so I decided to get some early morning looping in today.  I went around the 800 loop, since I knew there were several Fiends there, but they were all asleep still.

I did get a shot of this set-up, which I had noticed the day before.  This guy pulled his pop-up into his site, rather than backing in.  So, all his utility connections are across the pad from his camper.  Why?:

7414171_zps46747484.jpg

Speaking of geniuses, the 800 loop bus stop still looks like it is taking a regular beating from guests who want to ruin their RV's on the way out of the Fort:

7414172_zpsebae33a4.jpg

7414173_zpsbbe09652.jpg

So here's a free tip for you- if you're heading out of the 800 loop, watch out for the bus stop.  Or you're going to go home with an unwanted souvenir on your rig.

Since I was here, and this could be a busy weekend, I decided that I should go ahead and get my site 617 photos out of the way:

7414174_zps75a66130.jpg

Hey, that lush landscaping they planted is really making a difference, isn't it?:

7414175_zpsdf260e47.jpg

You can tell that it's still early, because the lights are still on on the footbridge that goes from the 600 loop to the campfire area:

7414176_zpse46e31e9.jpg

Here's another one of my favorite views at the Fort:

7414177_zps2110e992.jpg

The canal between 600 and 1400 is decidedly less green.  I am not sure what happened with this photo- I guess there was some kind of reflection that caused that red splotch.  Or a ghost maybe:

7414178_zps8be804d7.jpg

All those bushes they planted behind the new sites they added to the 600 loop a few year back have finally grown in, and you can't see the campers over there anymore:

7414180_zps6ccb9c67.jpg

I notice that there was some kind of sign posted over there by the campfire area, so I had to go and see what it said:

7414181_zpsfe5842a6.jpg

This is what it said:

7414182_zps4f2847d3.jpg

A food truck?

Returning?

Has there been one here before?

If so, I never heard about it.

What kind of food?  When?  Don't you think it would be a good idea for some more details?

Hold that thought.

Spoiler alert- I visited the food truck later on, and have some photos to share.

The campfire stage looks so much better since they finally replaced the faded canvas on it:

7414183_zps7c7fdd98.jpg

I love the design of the projection building here:

7414184_zps31844846.jpg

And the chuckwagon, too:

7414185_zps69a585c0.jpg

Here's a good look at the Dr. Terminus screen:

7414186_zps387adc96.jpg

In case you're new to TCD TR's, that's a reference to the old Disney movie, Pete's Dragon.  If you haven't seen it, you should.  It's a pretty amazing film.

The Meadow Trading Post wasn't open for business yet, and nobody was trespassing on Bob's dock this early in the morning:

7414187_zpsa13dc2d4.jpg

Those of you who only visit the Fort in the fall and winter miss out on seeing the trees around the Trading Post with all of their leaves in their summer glory:

7414188_zps210cb112.jpg

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the morning of the 4th was glorious.  A nice, blue sky, and really not too hot, yet:

7414190_zps24435039.jpg

After looking around the Meadow area, I headed to get some ice.

Now, here's a reward for those of you who actually read TR's, and not just look at photos.

I am going to share a little secret that I have kept to myself for years- there is an ice machine at the Fort where I always buy my ice.

Why is it the best?

Because it always, every single time, without fail, dispenses way over one bag full of ice.

It's this machine right here:

7414191_zps81d09fc2.jpg

I swear the ice bags used to say they were 8 lbs.  Now they say 7.  The typical bag sold at retail locations, including the Trading Posts at the Fort, is 10 lbs:

7414193_zps12808154.jpg

But, don't worry about what's on the bag.  I put $2.00 in:

7414194_zps6de9965c.jpg

And this is what came out- almost two full bags.  For $2.00:

7414195_zpsda9fa3b4.jpg

That's a win!

Maybe you can recognize the location of this machine from the photos.  If not, ask me when you see me, and I'll tell you.

I had to bring the ice back to my site.

So, after filling the cooler, I sat out back and watched some of the traffic pass by on the path behind the site.

Then I saw a DB guest walking his big German Shepherd along that path.  There's a big sign that the DB walked past to get there that says "No Pets Beyond this Point."  But, I guess he can't read, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  So why am I calling him a DB?  Well, this photo isn't so great, but it shows the big German Shepherd taking a big German Shepherd steaming dump right next to the path:

7414196_zpse2956e46.jpg

I knew that we were dealing with a DB when I saw the guy look around to see if anyone saw the squat, and then take off without cleaning it up.  I needed a photo of this DB, so here he is:

7414198_zps1a71466d.jpg

Not cool.  That guy's a DB.  Keep your pet where it's supposed to be.  And clean up after it.  You DB.

Let's change the subject.

Here's something cool.

I got nice Father's Day gifts from all the TCD DD's and I had them here with me on the trip.

Twin #1 brought me this genuine Disneyland Paris poncho all the way back from Paris.  It was hanging on my line drying, as I had worn it when we got rained on at the MK the night before, and it worked flawlessly:

7414199_zpsa69a2b30.jpg

My oldest gave me this mason jar full of coffee beans.  It's from her favorite coffee shop in Auburn:

7414200_zps366f8904.jpg

I ground some of that earlier to make my coffee.  That was some very good coffee.

I didn't get a photo of the gift I got from Twin #2, because it was still in the box inside the camper.  I wanted to take photos after I opened the box, but I never got around to doing that on the trip.  This is what she gave me, though:

CBVinylmations_zps15414f58.jpg

It was a set of three Vinylmation figures featuring Melvin the Moose and his buddies from the Country Bear Jamboree!

How cool is that?

For some reason, these didn't go over very well in the stores in the parks, as Twin #2 found the set for sale in the Castmember store.

Personally, I think they're great!

It's good to be TCD.

Well, that's how I spent the early morning of the 4th at the Fort.

I woke the girls up right around now so they could get ready for the golf cart parade.

And, while they got ready, I headed out to scout around and see what I could see pre-parade.

I'll start the next update with that.

TCD

Vinylmation is stupid. 

But Melvin Vinylmation is somewhat cool.  So that's a nice gift in my book.  Good job, Twin #2. 

Agreed.

My only beef with the Melvin one is that it doesn't look a thing like Melvin.

Somehow I got behind. But I'm back. I agree that the fireworks shot is a nice one.

And yes, I was at the Settlement before you. My cart had a FF sticker on the steering wheel. Did you notice it?

I must have walked right past you cart, but I'm not in the habit of looking at steering wheels for stickers, so no.

I'm not a fan of vinylmation, but that Melvin one is really cool!

As I said above, I like the idea, but I wouldn't even know what those three are supposed to be unless someone told me.

I will need to remember to ask you the ice tip before we fly south for (part of) the winter.

FP+ SMB but hopefully your tip will make it a bit better.

Great morning pics per usual. I love that bridge and the campfire area in the morning.

Don't get too excited about the ice.  At best, that trick is saving you around $2.

FP+ does SMB.  My trick helps a make it suck a little less, but not by much.

TCD

A while ago we went to the Disney Store before a trip. I was looking for something (can't remeber what, not relevant to the story anyway). And was chatting with the CM. She suggested we buy this giant plain white vinylmation to use for autographs at the park. I'm not a fan of vinylmation to start with, plus it would be obnoxious to carry around and I'm sure the characters would be thrilled to try and sign the stupid thing.

I just realized it is Frday, which means we must wait until at least Monday for another update.

Aaron, I nominate you as Captain Hijack!

Wait.

Give me another 10 minutes, and I'll have something for you to read over the weekend.

A while ago we went to the Disney Store before a trip. I was looking for something (can't remeber what, not relevant to the story anyway). And was chatting with the CM. She suggested we buy this giant plain white vinylmation to use for autographs at the park. I'm not a fan of vinylmation to start with, plus it would be obnoxious to carry around and I'm sure the characters would be thrilled to try and sign the stupid thing.

Are you saying you didn't buy it?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone carrying around a giant Vinylmation for characters to sign.  That CM should get a gold star for trying to make a sale.

TCD

Here's another update for you.

It's still the morning of the 4th of July, and we are going to see the famous Fort Golf Cart Parade.

I went out to scout things before the parade started.

I noticed that they moved the judge's tent from where it used to be along the path to the Settlement to over by the Settlement Bus Stop:

7414202_zps25d549db.jpg

They always stage the golf cart parades up by the hitch/unhitch area.  So, I headed there to see what I could see.  I saw a lot of carts:

7414203_zpsd1989038.jpg

It looks like there were a lot of carts this year:

7414204_zps48852127.jpg

Hey- look Olaf is on that cart:

7414205_zps30393778.jpg

I'm not sure what those people in the minivan over there were doing- they've got chairs set up behind their minivan and are taking it all in:

7414206_zps8b062791.jpg

The parade was supposed to be at 9 am, and it was about 10 of now.  I needed to go and get the girls, so I headed down the parade route.  This gave me a chance to see how many spectators there were out to watch.  There weren't many at the four way:

7414207_zps3780d6c6.jpg

Not many around the Meadow Trading Post either:

7414208_zps0243a893.jpg

And this is just past the 900 loop entrance, with the 800 loop on the left and the 600 on the right- that's the 800 loop bus stop up ahead.  What you don't see is anyone out to watch the parade:

7414209_zps016d9281.jpg

This shot is taken just past the entrance to the 700 loop, looking down toward the Settlement- again no people out to watch the parade:

7414210_zpsbdbd02de.jpg

Wow.

There were more people in the parade than there were people to watch it.  I don't remember it being like that in the past.

I made it back to the site, and the girls and I carried some chairs over to a spot behind the 400 loop, along the road.  In the shade.  There was a pug on a golf cart there:

7414211_zpsc657ce99.jpg

This was the beginning of the parade- just a CM golfcart:

7414212_zpsc2502dc0.jpg

But we did get Goofy on the pony wagon:

7414213_zpsc1a74e04.jpg

7414214_zps0e7cdfde.jpg

And one surrey:

7414216_zps3da7f96d.jpg

And then a cart with a lot of red, white and blue:

7414218_zps71844666.jpg

And a bunch more:

7414221_zps7c94763b.jpg

7414222_zps261cc832.jpg

This is what you call multi-tasking- decorating for a Sweet 16 and the 4th of July at the same time:

7414223_zps5d54786f.jpg

The Olaf cart:

7414224_zps710031c7.jpg

A bunch of flags:

7414225_zpsfcc70c95.jpg

This cart had a couple of kids in costumes on the back:

7414226_zpsd0557b7a.jpg

Nothing says 4th of July like the Florida Gators. Go Gata:

7414227_zpsa73ec7c3.jpg

Underneath the decorations, this cart is painted yellow and has a picture of Snoopy's friend, Woodstock, on it.  The Fort should not allow this kind of hippie stuff:

7414229_zps6173a1ed.jpg

This cart had bucket seats bolted on in the second and third rows.  Nice work:

7414230_zps028ab35c.jpg

This cart apparently died, and everyone had to get out and push.  I think the young man seated on the cart is the young man depicted on the poster, who is going into the Navy soon.  Why isn't he pushing too?:

7414232_zpsbf544b12.jpg

I guess the owner of this cart has a nice electric jigsaw:

7414236_zpse6e71d0b.jpg

Don't quote me on this, as I may be mistaken, but I believe this guy is a Revolutionary War veteran.  Well, he looks old enough to be one anyway:

7414237_zpsdb11d70d.jpg

A pink cart.  Nice (if your name is Barbie) :

7414238_zps59da846c.jpg

The Tiki Room cart.  I think one of the ladies on this cart recently joined the Fiends:

7414240_zpsa78838a2.jpg

Semper Fi:

7414241_zps1b136187.jpg

That's the last golf cart photo I have.

We had a reservation for breakfast at Trail's End, and I didn't want to be late.

We heard a bagpiper bringing up the rear of the parade.

But, we had to bolt before he got to us.

We stopped at our site to drop off our chairs, and then headed right to breakfast.

TCD