Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

We found out later that night, that Twin #2 had been caught up in Katy Perry's entourage , as they were moving from the Haunted Mansion to the Pirates ride.

Did you know Katy Perry was at the Magic Kingdom on July 4th?

Well, she was.

Just 1 week prior to this she was at Dollywood

katy-perry-topshop-dollywood-photo4.jpg

Maybe she's doing the theme park circuit?

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

Saving a picnic table by putting an article of clothing on it just ain't right.  Maybe a picnic basket or a tablecloth, but not clothes!  Can't wait to see who she was saving for.

Those crape myrtles at the fort are beautiful, but we're inundated with them here.  

Great photos as usual!

Sorry, Andrew. 

Make that....El Asso-Clowno. 

It must be nice to be multi-lingual.

I am not sorry.

Neighbors are neighborly.

People like that are Asshats.

I agree the Fall/Winter fiends miss out on the blooms at the Fort. But, I would rather miss out on 2 weeks of freakishly cold weather, so we head south during that time. Now, if I could work out ways to get down there more often, I would love to see some of the stuff we miss out on.

I think you're right for choosing to miss the freakishly cold weather.

By not coming in the summer, you miss the crepe myrtles blooming, but you also miss the sauna-like weather.

Must get that Mickey waffle magnet!!!

I'm not sure it's a good idea.

I swear just looking at that thing makes me hungry.

Probably not a good thing to have on the fridge.

Just 1 week prior to this she was at Dollywood

katy-perry-topshop-dollywood-photo4.jpg

Maybe she's doing the theme park circuit?

Wow.

I guess that's the same photographer too.

At least Katie has more clothes on in Dollywood.

Saving a picnic table by putting an article of clothing on it just ain't right.  Maybe a picnic basket or a tablecloth, but not clothes!  Can't wait to see who she was saving for.

Those crape myrtles at the fort are beautiful, but we're inundated with them here.  

Great photos as usual!

I think it's wrong to hog all the picnic tables in the pavilion, and I'm convinced that big groups like that aren't even camping at the Fort in the first place.  If they were, they'd have their own campsites and picnic tables to use, and they wouldn't be hogging all these.

And hold that thought about wanting to see who it was that was hogging the tables. One of my favorite shots from this trip will answer that question.

I think there are much better places to see crepe myrtles in bloom than the Fort.

TCD

From the Trading Post, I headed down to the beach.

I wanted to take a look around to see if there was anything happening around there yet.

A few days before we left for this trip, Mo had started a thread about a rumor about there being a private party on Clementine's Beach on Saturday night, July 5.  In case you missed that thread, it's here:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13138-private-party-on-clementines-beach-saturday-night/

The day before our arrival, fellow Fiend Jason/Katman had spotted men setting out the anchors that were marked by those orange buoys that I've posted photos of.  His photos are on that thread.

That indicated that the party would include a private fireworks show.

That has happened at the Fort before. But not when I've been at the Fort.

The last time I heard about was a Sweet 16 party for the daughter of the many who owns the Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey team.   It ended up being a big party.

I thought this one might be on the scale of that, and if it was, they would have to start setting things up at some point today.

Then there was this notice, which had been distributed around the campsites:

7414357_zpsb1027406.jpg

The funny thing is, I never got that notice.  Renny showed me his copy the day before.  They apparently skipped the 100 loop.  Makes a lot of sense.  Especially since we were in one of the closest campsites to the pavilion.

That notice was interesting in that it said that loud music would possibly be heard between 10:15 and 11:00 pm.  What kind of party could that be that would only involve music for 45 minutes? 

That was initially a mystery.

When I got to the beach, I saw that someone had been busy.

We had passed by here after midnight the night before, and saw nothing going on.

This morning, though, there were four pick-up trucks parked on the beach:

7414409_zpsa83f7a42.jpg

7414410_zps6c58b246.jpg

And there were electric lines run under the sand:

7414411_zpsd5a3643a.jpg

These trucks had their tailgates down.  But, they had clearly been placed here as props-not to do any kind of work:

7414412_zps10b4837f.jpg

These were newer trucks, and very clean, but appeared to be privately owned- not from a dealer or anything like that.

Here you can see that electric lines had been run under the sand, and outlets provided by the volleyball net:

7414413_zpsfaa40534.jpg

And there were additional outlets placed near the water:

7414414_zpsf458457c.jpg

And this is what really got me- they had put up a split-rail fence separating this area of the beach from the rest of the beach:

7414415_zpsc0ebcb94.jpg

7414416_zpsd93932b6.jpg

What the heck was this all about?

I didn't know- but it seemed newsworthy, so I whipped out my phone to take some photos to send to ff.net HQ.  And by HQ I meant Mo, who had started that rumor thread in the first place. These are the photos I sent to her:

trucks_zps97eeeb20.jpg

fence_zps8db36999.jpg

She posted those on the thread, and that got a pretty good discussion going.

Now, what about the old River Country Pavilion?  That's where the loud music would be coming from tonight.  Something must be happening there.

I headed back.

Nobody was around to stop me.

There didn't seem to be much going on in the front of the pavilion, that walled-off are you see here behind Pioneer Hall has been in place a couple of months, and is being used by the guys working on Pioneer Hall:

7414417_zps2ffb4502.jpg

I headed back through the old River Country entrance, and saw that they had completely cleared all of the picnic tables out of the pavilion, and had set up a new stage and a sound booth there on the right in this photo:

7414419_zps1cd4196c.jpg

And all of the picnic tables had been stacked over by the fence that hides the rotting part of River Country, and covered with dark green tarps:

7414420_zps891f9666.jpg

picnictables_zpsfac94f42.jpg

There was a guy busy at work on the sound equipment:

soundbooth_zps05344a19.jpg

And a new stage had been set-up on the far side of the pavilion:

pavilion2_zpsefced570.jpg

Those chairs you see lined up and all the other stuff over to the left were all brought in just for this event.  There were pallets still waiting to be unloaded with barrels, and hay bales, and whatnot:

pavilion1_zps18ef9eb3.jpg

So, I'm just standing there taking photos of all this stuff so I can send it to Mo and it can be posted on the World Wide Web, and nobody is stopping me.  But then a CM came over and asked if she could help me.  No, thanks, I told her, I'm fine.  I think she meant that she wanted me to leave, but she wasn't a security CM-she was in charge of setting things up, and she didn't know how to say it. I asked her if she was in charge here, and she said yes.  Wow, I said, you must have worked all night.  She said they had.  I told her I had received the notice, and wondered what this was all about. She said it was a private party, and that they would be enjoying a concert here tonight.  Wow, I said,  Is it anyone I would have heard of?  She said if I knew country music, I would know the artist.  It was someone nationally known, but that's all she could say.  Good enough.  I thanked her, and headed out.  I had also notice that she was wearing what the people in the concert industry call credentials.  That's what we call backstage passes.  Her credentials said "Camp LKO Special Events." 

On my way out, I took a look at things from over by the picnic tables:

7414421_zps65a47fff.jpg

And here's a look at all the stacked tables- and some people walking around by them:

7414422_zps8fb0b903.jpg

And a final look at the pavilion for this initial visit back here:

7414423_zpscbfd02f1.jpg

I sent all of this information back to HQ.

Then I had to leave the Fort for a bit to drive my oldest to the airport.

Twin #1 decided she would keep sleeping, and that's what she did.

Next up, I get back from the airport, and Team Fort Fiend starts to put the pieces together about what's about to go down.

TCD

TCD,

Wow, you were in some serious crowds at the MK!! We had a similar experience in the MK on July 3rd years ago. We had watched the fireworks right in the hub (Best show EVER!!!) after the show ended we just stood in place for a good 10-minutes waiting for the crowd to dissipate. Then we set off for Frontierland by way of the bridge going into Liberty Square. Once we got on that bridge everything stopped moving.....it was complete gridlock....we couldn't go forward or backward and people started pushing....it was downright frightening...ugh!!

I love the FP+ cheats that you have discovered!!! Thanks SO MUCH for waiting in line to test things and reporting back to all of us!!! Do you think bracelets that had tickets on them, that are all used up would work? I have quite a few friends/family members that have been to Disney in the past year. It would be fun if their bracelets worked!

You wondered who would buy those National Park t-shirts?? We would!! I wasn't planning on going to the Fort in August, but we may have to stop by to grab a couple of them!! We have been to about 1/2 of the National Parks, including Yosemite and Yellowstone. (I couldn't tell what the third shirt was that you had a pic of)and between the four of us, we have a pretty big collection of National Park shirts. We would surely scoop some of those up!!! I agree with you, it seems VERY odd that Disney would be selling these!!! I truly can't figure why they would be selling them at Disney of all places!!! Strange!!

Can't wait to see more photos of the big bash at the fort!! Too bad your oldest daughter had to miss it.

Also interested to see who hogged all of the picnic tables at the pool.

Heidi

No, no, no - there is no way we would have survived those crowds. One day maybe I'll make it for the 4th fireworks, but I doubt Ray will have any interest in joining me. He just doesn't like humanity enough to bear those crowds.

But the fireworks do look amazing, though.

We could leave Steve and Ray home and go together.

I'm late, but in.

Backing up to the golf cart parade, the ones you mentioned that probably owned a really nice jigsaw, I know them pretty well, and you're right, they do! Their 9 year old daughter hand painted all of those props on the cart. Pretty impressive if you ask me!

Cody

Exciting stuff!

It's funny how it all played out.

Before I visited the beach on the morning of the 5th, we were debating about whether to stick around for the fireworks, or go see the new Frozen stuff over at Hollywood Studios. 

As the day went on, and the puzzle pieces began to fit together, I told the girls I wasn't going to leave the Fort.

Twin #1 later persuaded me to leave for a couple of quick things, but I skipped the Frozen stuff.  I had to stay and see how this all played out.

I'm enjoy reliving the luckow festivities

I am enjoying re-telling the story.  And reliving it as well.

Its fun to see all this after what was a great afternoon and evening here on FF.

It was a great afternoon and evening.

And posting on and reading that thread added to the fun.

TCD,

Wow, you were in some serious crowds at the MK!! We had a similar experience in the MK on July 3rd years ago. We had watched the fireworks right in the hub (Best show EVER!!!) after the show ended we just stood in place for a good 10-minutes waiting for the crowd to dissipate. Then we set off for Frontierland by way of the bridge going into Liberty Square. Once we got on that bridge everything stopped moving.....it was complete gridlock....we couldn't go forward or backward and people started pushing....it was downright frightening...ugh!!

I love the FP+ cheats that you have discovered!!! Thanks SO MUCH for waiting in line to test things and reporting back to all of us!!! Do you think bracelets that had tickets on them, that are all used up would work? I have quite a few friends/family members that have been to Disney in the past year. It would be fun if their bracelets worked!

You wondered who would buy those National Park t-shirts?? We would!! I wasn't planning on going to the Fort in August, but we may have to stop by to grab a couple of them!! We have been to about 1/2 of the National Parks, including Yosemite and Yellowstone. (I couldn't tell what the third shirt was that you had a pic of)and between the four of us, we have a pretty big collection of National Park shirts. We would surely scoop some of those up!!! I agree with you, it seems VERY odd that Disney would be selling these!!! I truly can't figure why they would be selling them at Disney of all places!!! Strange!!

Can't wait to see more photos of the big bash at the fort!! Too bad your oldest daughter had to miss it.

Also interested to see who hogged all of the picnic tables at the pool.

Heidi

Thanks for posting, Heidi.  If I go for the 4th fireworks again, I expect all the new areas they are adding around the Hub will be open, and I'll try to watch from there.  That gridlock you experienced is something that I encountered during one of the 24 hour events.  I think the one-way thing we encountered by the old Noodle Station restaurant on the night of the 4th, and being forced to go backstage is an answer to that.  They moved the gridlock out to an area where there's more space.

I'm not sure if MB's that once had tickets associated with them would work.  I think they would, but I haven't tested that idea.

Good to hear that at least a couple of those National Park shirts will be sold.

My oldest daughter didn't even know what she missed until the next day. And she was disappointed when she heard.

Don't worry- you will see who was hogging the picnic tables.  I don't think it's going to come as a big surprise to anyone, though.

Ha, ha its settled, I just showed my husband your photos of the National Park t-shirts and he said, "I want that Yosemite one", we'll be stopping at the Fort to get some!!! I somehow don't think we will have to worry about them selling out!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will all still be there, next to the Pacific Lake Campgrounds shirts.

Fun reading even though we know what happend. Its like watching a good movie for the second time. But picking up on the details of the plot.

Thanks.  There are a few details that haven't been told.  Keep reading.

It's like deja vu all over again.

True.

Let's do it!   :partythree:

OK, but I need to know something. Will you be dragging me over to the MK and forcing me to buy an AP like Kelly's friend did to her?

Uh oh. This sounds like trouble.

Just remember, if anything bad comes out of this plan, it's all Dave's fault.

TCD

I'm late, but in.

Backing up to the golf cart parade, the ones you mentioned that probably owned a really nice jigsaw, I know them pretty well, and you're right, they do! Their 9 year old daughter hand painted all of those props on the cart. Pretty impressive if you ask me!

Cody

They are impressive.

Those people need to be Fiends.  Tell them the need to join!

TCD

Hey, I got a shout out! But I think you meant my beautiful red UGA easy-up.

It's cool seeing how close you got to what was going on. I wanted to get closer, but didn't want to traumatize Z by getting arrested or something.

Let's do it!   :partythree:

OK, but I need to know something. Will you be dragging me over to the MK and forcing me to buy an AP like Kelly's friend did to her?

I better be invited!

Hey, I got a shout out! But I think you meant my beautiful red UGA easy-up.

I was just checking to see if your were paying attention.

The shout-outs are not over. You (and Elena) will be getting a couple of more mentions in this TR.

It's cool seeing how close you got to what was going on. I wanted to get closer, but didn't want to traumatize Z by getting arrested or something.

It was easy to get close in the morning. Before the rent-a-cops showed up.

I better be invited!

This is definitely going to be trouble.

TCD

Definitely!  Bring your wallet.  :)

Uh oh. This sounds like trouble.

Just remember, if anything bad comes out of this plan, it's all Dave's fault.

TCD

It's always Dave's fault, isn't it?

I better be invited!

You are! You can use your new AP!

This is definitely going to be trouble.

Totally worth it.

We left off with me heading back to the campsite to get my oldest DD ready to head to the airport.

She was ready to go, and we had time for a little looping before we had to leave.

I took her down to the beach and pavilion and showed her what I had seen, and told her what I had heard about a concert by a nationally known Country Music artist.  We speculated about who that might be, and thought it might be someone on the level of Scotty McCreery (past American Idol winner) or maybe Jake Owen ( a pretty big name who graduated from FSU).  Turns out, we were thinking too small.

Then we headed out to the airport. I've taken her there before, and didn't pay much attention to where we were going.  I asked her to pull up the directions on Google Map and let me know when to turn.  Well, Google goofed.  And I guess I did too, because I missed the airport exit.  No big deal, we just had to go to the next exit, and come back.  That was about 15 extra miles I had  to drive.  We were fine with the time, so no problem.  I dropped her off, and headed back.  On the way back, I wanted to stop for gas, and saw a Hess station with good gas prices, so I pulled in there.  When I pulled back out,  the traffic was bad, and I couldn't get over to where I needed to turn around and head back to the Fort.  No big deal, I thought.  Wrong.  I had to go about another 10 miles before I could turn around.  And, my Sunpass got clipped for a toll both ways. FAIL!  Lesson learned.  Pay attention.

I finally made it back to the Fort a little before noon.  The returning guest lane was working.  The ding-dong in front of the car in front of me was trying to open the gate with his Magic Band.  Spoiler alert- it didn't work.  The helpful guard opened the gate eventually, and I was in:

7414424_zps7cc337fd.jpg

A  month or so ago, there was a thread here on ff.net where the problem of golf carts not pulling over for cars was discussed.  In case you're stupid, the official rules of the Fort clearly state that golf carts should pull over and let cars and buses pass.

Well, the problem persists.

And it's not just stupid guests.  It's also CM's, like these two idiots, who I had to drive 5 mph behind from the four way stop all the way to past the 1500 loop bus stop:

7414425_zpsdc04ada7.jpg

The only reason I got to pass these ding-dongs is that they pulled into the wrong lane to pick up a piece of trash:

7414426_zps70fbfd17.jpg

When I got back from the airport, Twin #1 was up and ready to go someplace.

I should have mentioned that when I stopped for gas, I checked in on ff.net, and saw that Mo had reported on a rumor brought up by another Fiend that the performer for tonight's concert was going to be Luke Bryan.  The day this was all going down live on ff.net, there were several Fiends who said they had never heard of him.  That surprised me. Luke Bryan is a huge name in country music, Huge.  He is currently on tour, and will be performing in Tampa at a big venue in September.  They had recently added a second show there because the first one sold out.

I should mention here that I listen to country music.  A lot.  I don't know how that happened, but I would say it corresponded with the popularity of rap music.  I can't understand rap music.  Country music is more my speed.  So I knew very well who Luke Bryan was, and understood what a big deal this could possibly be.

Luke has been on the cover of People magazine a couple of times, and had won some major music awards earlier this year:

luke-bryan-300_zpsbcdc9e6e.jpg

So this was big news.

But, still just a rumor at this point.

I told Twin #1 what I had heard, both in person earlier that day, and now the rumor.

She said let's go see.

So we did.

I drove the cart right into the old River Country exit, and we parked across from where the water tower used to be.  They were checking the sound system by playing recorded music.  It was country music, but not Luke Bryan songs, so the rumor was still just a rumor.  We sat and watched and listened.

Just a minute or so after we parked, a group of CM's walked toward us.  They were being briefed by the lady I had met earlier. She was telling them where she wanted them to stand, and what time things were going to be happening.  We heard her say that there would be a sound check at 2:30.  The group walked past us, and nobody said anything about us sitting there in our cart.

Here's that group of CM's, after they had passed us, and were congregated around the old River Country ticket booth:

7414427_zpsbb2422fd.jpg

This is a photo that I took from my phone and sent to HQ:

CM2_zps66ee578d.jpg

As we drove out, we said hello to the CM's.  I knew that we wouldn't be allowed back here anymore. They were going to be hanging out at the ticket booth and turning guests away.

I also reported back to HQ about the sound check, and that puzzle piece was posted on the thread about the party.

The sound check was important, because for concerts, sound check is where the actual performers play a song or two to make sure everything is ready to go.  Sound check would confirm or refute the rumor.

It was just a bit past noon at this point.

Before the developments of this morning, one of the plans for today was for Twin #1 and I to go and visit Twin #2 at work.  We hadn't seen her in action yet, and we wanted to.

And, we had FP+ reservations at Epcot for early afternoon.  Those were made before we knew that the private party was possibly going to be a much bigger deal than we initially thought.

So, we made a plan.

We would go and see Twin #2.  Then go to Epcot, and eat lunch in the Land.  And then ride Soarin'.  And then race back to the Fort. 

That meant we would miss the sound check.

But, we would be back at the Fort for the rest of the afternoon and evening.  This was a good plan based on the information we had at the time.  The Luke Bryan rumor could be false, and even if it wasn't we probably couldn't actually see him at the sound check.  Plus, we had promised Twin #2 that we would stop by to visit her, and she didn't know anything about any the rumors.

So we went.

Twin #1 drove.  That would get us everywhere quicker.  And we didn't have time to waste.

First, we visited Twin #2.  It was fun to see her in costume and working.  She was busy, so we kind of stood off in the distance and watched.  She looked like she was really enjoying working.  Imagine that.

Then, we headed to Epcot. This photo was taken at 1:28 pm:

7414428_zpsce0b198d.jpg

We headed to The Land pavilion.

It was overrun by Brazilian Tour Groups. This group decided to plop down and take a break right in the busy walkway by the escalators:

7414429_zps7da929fd.jpg

They apparently were waiting for the rest of their group to finish eating and join them:

7414430_zps08c479e0.jpg

Hang on a minute.

What the Fort is that in that guy's backpack?

Maybe I don't want to know.

They had a little display for the 4th outside the restaurant:

7414431_zps62204898.jpg

We headed down the escalator, and ordered our lunch from the food court downstairs.  I really like this place.  It has a lot of selections, and you can get your food quickly.

This was going to be a news flash, but now it's too late to help anyone.  They were distributing a 20% merchandise coupon with the receipt for your meal:

7414432_zps104700ba.jpg

Just a while before this, I had heard about a new offering they had at the food court.  Fish tacos.  I wanted to try them, and I did:

7414434_zps425052eb.jpg

They were excellent.  Just the right amount of seasoning, and a nice portion of fish.  Very, very good.  I'm going to have these again.  Twin #1 had the beef and broccoli stir fry, which I have had before. That is also a good dish here.

The restaurant was super busy.

And the tables weren't very clean.

Ours was sticky.

And, we were bothered by flies.

Flies.

At an indoor restaurant.

Gross:

flies_zpscfbd2948.jpg

But the food was good.  After we ate, we rode Soarin', and then headed out.  Before we did, I checked in with ff.net, and saw that fellow Fiend Clakey was reporting that he had been to the sound check, but wasn't sure if it was Luke Bryan or not.  I saw that Harold/Memphis then posted a video link, and then Chris/clakey confirmed that the song he heard was a Luke Bryan song.  Wow. 

We need to get back to the Fort!

On the way out, we passed several large tour groups who were just arriving at Epcot.  Yikes, there were a lot of them.

All those incoming tour groups made it kind of chaotic heading out.  Since these people do not understand the concepts of personal space or manners, Twin #1 and I were walking single file on the way out.  I would take a look back from time to time to make sure she was still behind me.  When we were almost at the exit, I checked a last time, and she wasn't there!  Dang it!  Where did that girl get to? 

I found her with her new amigos:

tourgroup_zps99f32599.jpg

We headed to catch the tram, and watched as more huge groups of foreign teens invaded Epcot. This group was not from Brazil. They were Argentinians:

7414435_zpse7ac1660.jpg

7414436_zpsc24249c0.jpg

We knew they were from Argentina, because they were chanting;  Ar-Gen-Tina! Ar-Gen Tina! Ar-Gen-Tina!  They don't pronounce it the way we do.  They say the G as a hard G, like in the word go.  I never knew that.  Now I do.

The tram finally arrived and took us away from the craziness.  And we headed back to the Fort.

On the way in, we saw something going on by the hitch/unhitch area.  I was in the passenger seat, and tried to get photos:

7414437_zps8f934d37.jpg

7414440_zpsea56dadd.jpg

I asked Twin #1 to pull over, and she took this shot on my phone:

lkobus_zpsa614b31f.jpg

So, what the Fort is this bus doing here?

We will soon see.

When we got back to the site, we grabbed the golf cart, and headed out.

There really wasn't a lot going on around the Settlement, and there were groups of CM's standing around blocking access to the pavilion:

7414441_zps98e803f6.jpg

cms_zps2d48534a.jpg

We then headed up toward the hitch/unhitch area to take another look at that bus.  But before we got there, we saw that the bus was on the road, and heading toward us.  I did a U-ey, and followed behind:

7414442_zps7cf62f8c.jpg

7414444_zps7373bffb.jpg

The bus turned into the Settlement area:

7414446_zps0efd2e81.jpg

We let the traffic clear a bit, then headed that way too.  We couldn't see where the bus went, but we could see that there were a bunch of trailers parked behind the horse barn:

7414448_zps4d94ee10.jpg

7414449_zpsdbb6a454.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see a black tour bus peeking out closer to the barn.

They were testing the lights for the show in the pavilion:

7414450_zpsee2127cd.jpg

CM's were keeping guests from getting too close to the pavilion, but we were allowed to stand and look from near the outer fence of the petting zoo.  I figured this wouldn't be a bad place to come down later to listen to the concert:

7414451_zps089e93b3.jpg

That was about all there was to see at this time in the afternoon.

So, we went back and hung around the campsite for a while.

Twin #2 would be done with work around 4 today, and she would be joining us. 

Twin #1 said we should go and get some ice cream at the Lodge instead of just sitting around and waiting.

That was an excellent idea.

So, we will be going there next.

And, then we will be looking at some more developments leading up to the concert and fireworks.

TCD

First, this is an awesome report. I have to confess that I wasn't able to really follow the party/concert/fireworks excitement in real time on FF.net, so this is pretty much all new to me. So cool that you were there.

Second, this is wins the best photobomb award:

tourgroup_zps99f32599.jpg