Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

Twin #1 is a funny girl. Love the picture. And some of them are actually looking at you and smiling! 

As far as Aaron's comment, country is definitely nationwide. My mom just went to two concerts on the beach in Atlantic City... Blake Shelton and Lady Antebellum. The beach was PACKED. 

I told the Luke Bryan story to some girls in a class today who were talking about him. I was instantly cool.

TCD, you are an awesome reporter! 

PS- I didn't get a notice either, so they also skipped the 1500 loop. 

Love Twin#1's photo bombing!

My 12 year old (J) is a huge Luke Bryan fan. This is the conversation my 13 year old and her were having the other night.

Conversation between Rachel & Jessica as we were watching Luke Bryan on TV. We had the CMA Fest recorded.

J: He's suppose to be in our basement. Drew was suppose to bring him home to me as a souvenir (he had gone to his concert).

R: You know he is married.

J: Doesn't mean I can't kidnap him.

R: He has kids.

R: He's like in his thirties.

Guess I need to be saving up some bail money for her.

Free concerts rock!

That's true.

Free anything at Disney rocks.

First, this is an awesome report. I have to confess that I wasn't able to really follow the party/concert/fireworks excitement in real time on FF.net, so this is pretty much all new to me. So cool that you were there.

Second, this is wins the best photobomb award:

Thanks, Leslie.  The whole day and night ended up being a lot of fun, both in person, and on ff.net.

Glad you liked the photobomb.  It actually isn't Twin #1's best work.

excellent updates. It's neat to see how this all unfolded, outside of what we already know from the other thread.

Thanks.  I have more unfolding events in the next update.

Okay, that truly was the best photobomb ever.

Eh.  I've seen better.

Great update.

Twin #1 definetely wins today's photobomb award. Too funny!

I can go with this- best photobomb of the day.  But not best ever.

LOLing at T1's photobomb.  Great job! 

Thanks.  She's had a lot of practice.

T1 gets a gold star for photo bombing ! (Now I just need to find the IMG code!)

What IMG code?  Can't you get it from the photo?

I actually laughed out loud when I saw Twin#1's photo bomb. That was great!!!!

Glad to provide you with a good laugh.

Love the photobomb!

It's OK.

The photo bomb rocks. It looks like Mr. Adidas and Miss Iron Row Clique? knew what you guys were up to and thought it was funny also. Those Argentinians apparently have a better sense of humor than the Brazilian and Ecuadoran groups.

Yes, the some of those kids not from this land did look at me taking the photo. 

Overall, the kids in these groups are decent kids.  They are just being themselves and having fun.

My beef is with the leaders.  They encourage the chanting and screaming and other bad behavior.  And so does Disney.

I don't get it.  Twin #1 and I were discussing this after having to walk through the mob of Brazilian kids sitting in a walkway to get to the escalator in the land.  She told me that when she went with her group to Europe, they had been very specifically instructed to be respectful when visiting other countries.  Yet these South American tour groups invade Disney World every summer, and act rude and unruly, and nobody says a thing.  Disney is happy to take anyone's money.  Too bad for the other guests.

TCD

Me too. Country must be country wide.

In every state, there's a station playing Cash, Hank, Willie and Waylon . . .

Twin #1 is a funny girl. Love the picture. And some of them are actually looking at you and smiling! 

As far as Aaron's comment, country is definitely nationwide. My mom just went to two concerts on the beach in Atlantic City... Blake Shelton and Lady Antebellum. The beach was PACKED. 

I told the Luke Bryan story to some girls in a class today who were talking about him. I was instantly cool.

TCD, you are an awesome reporter! 

PS- I didn't get a notice either, so they also skipped the 1500 loop. 

It surprises me to hear that country music is popular in New Jersey.  But, I know that it is.

Good to know that the kids think you're a cool teacher.

That's classic idiot Fort Management right there- they print a notice, and then pass it out to only some of the guests.

It is pretty cool that y'all can say y'all camped with Luke Bryan. With the money spent on this party I am surprised they didn't have Florida Georga Line there to do This is how we roll with Luke.

The TCD twins love Florida Georgia Line.  They performed at both of their schools this past year.

Luke did sing "This is How We Roll."  It didn't sound quite right, though.

That day & night were so much fun! I will always remember the fireworks.

Agreed.

It was a fun time.

Love Twin#1's photo bombing!

My 12 year old (J) is a huge Luke Bryan fan. This is the conversation my 13 year old and her were having the other night.

Conversation between Rachel & Jessica as we were watching Luke Bryan on TV. We had the CMA Fest recorded.

J: He's suppose to be in our basement. Drew was suppose to bring him home to me as a souvenir (he had gone to his concert).

R: You know he is married.

R: He has kids.

R: He's like in his thirties.

Guess I need to be saving up some bail money for her.

Someone needs to warn Luke.

Best photo bomb Ever! I cant wait to read the rest of the report!

Thank you.

Glad you're enjoying the report.  We are nearing the end of the camping trip, but there will be bonus features.

TCD

Let's get back to it.

It's the afternoon of July 5.

Twin #1 and I were back from Epcot, and hanging around the Fort.  In a little while, Twin #2 was going to come by.  Our original plans were to head over to DHS to see the new Frozen stuff and the Frozen fireworks, but a sense of excitement was building here at the Fort, and I for one didn't want to leave. 

But, it was a hot afternoon, and Twin #1 suggested that we make a run to the Lodge for some of that soft serve ice cream from the self serve machine.  It's not Dole Whip, but it will do.

We headed to the Settlement bus stop.  No bus.  That gave us time to take a look and see if anything was going on at the horse barn.

Something was definitely going on.

There were horses everywhere, and they were being groomed for something.  That's not a normal afternoon occurrence.  Morning, yes.  Afternoon, no.  But, they had a bunch of horses out of their stalls.  This guy was ready to go:

7414452_zps2e506e85.jpg

They were working on this one inside:

7414453_zps3721008e.jpg

Hollywood?  Never heard of him:

7414454_zps960334b4.jpg

They had the wagon ride wagon pulled in to the barn- which isn't normal either:

7414455_zpsaaf34750.jpg

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about horses, but I think this is a pair of Clydesdales, and I don't think they normally keep any Clydesdales in this barn:

7414457_zps14a246b0.jpg

There was more activity in the barn than I've ever seen- horses were coming and going:

7414459_zps92baa824.jpg

7414460_zps0bc47f64.jpg

Something was definitely up.

Outside, someone lit a fire in the Blacksmith shop.  I've visited the Fort hundreds of times.  And, I have seen farriers working on the horses in the Blacksmith shop.  But, I have never seen a fire in that old stove.  Until today:

7414461_zps126b8d89.jpg

7414462_zps42fc3d41.jpg

We headed over to the bus stop and caught the bus to the Lodge.  As we passed by the barn, I could see that the parking area behind it was loaded with trailers and a couple of tour buses.  You can see all the roof AC's pretty clearly in this photo, which I snapped from the bus:

7414463_zpsb1f748c1.jpg

This frenzy of activity confirmed that the private party tonight was going to be a Big Deal.  Maybe the biggest deal I've ever seen at the Fort.

On the way to the Lodge, we got stuck behind another idiot on a golf cart.  This idiot was another Castmember.  I've seen this particular cart around the Fort many times.  I don't know what the CM was doing going to the Lodge.  Our bus driver tailgated the golf cart, but sure enough, the idiot CM refused to pull over.  The bus driver was agitated, and was muttering under his breath and gesturing with his hands.  That's not normal Disney bus driver behavior. But, I don't blame the guy.  What is wrong with people?:

7414464_zpsbb511306.jpg

7414466_zpsf236a0e9.jpg

We eventually made it to the Lodge, and headed down to Roaring Forks.

I was surprised to see that the fake cascading water was still shut down, and they had construction equipment on site.  They needed to do this over the 4th of July weekend?:

7414467_zps114903af.jpg

7414468_zpsed5ce2be.jpg

I believe that I will be the first to report on a big change in Roaring Forks.

You know how it used to be a food court concept?  There were a couple of counters, and guests would grab a tray, and the food would be prepared and handed over before the guest would then take it to the register to pay.

Now, they have the menu posted at the registers, and you order and pay there. You then get one of those numbered signs to bring to your table, and CM's deliver the food.  I guess that's an improvement:

7414469_zpsc985d707.jpg

So, we got our ice cream.  And then we headed back.

On the way back to the cart, a guy comes up to me and says "War Eagle."  I was wearing an Auburn shirt.  I said "War Eagle" back.  The guy then says he recognizes me, and I find out that he is a Fiend.  It was clakey, who now has all of 14 posts.  His real name is Chris, and he's an Auburn fan from Alabama.  He and his family were in the 900 loop.  Several of those 14 posts were made on the thread that was blowing up on ff.net that day.  Chris was the one who had attended the sound check, and he also later reported seeing some stuff going on around the Blacksmith shop when the family first arrived for the party.   And, Chris is now official.  I just so happened to have a FWRR spike on the cart, and was able to spike Chris there in the Pioneer Hall golf cart parking lot.

Chris, if you're reading this- it was nice to meet you.  And why don't you go for a 15th post and say hello right here on this thread?

We had been away for less than an hour, but I needed to go and check on things again, so this time I headed down to the beach.  I saw that they were bringing out the barges to anchor in Bay Lake:

barges_zps8958efd4.jpg

barges2_zpsdc9c0ef6.jpg

Uh-oh.  Look at that sky.  Who thought having this party in the middle of the rainy season was a good idea?

There was more stuff set up on the other side of the fence around those pic-up trucks:

clembeach_zps1b074004.jpg

They had big speakers set up along the shore:

speakers_zpsf6fc1fda.jpg

And chairs, and benches, and a fire pit, and lights hung from the volleyball nets:

Clembeach2_zpsf78edaed.jpg

They had even hauled in fancy wood furniture.  Can't be having the rich folk sit on the lounge chairs they usually have there on the beach for us camper scum:

Clembeach4_zps10733fa5.jpg

See that white truck in the back of that last photo?  There are a bunch of guys behind it pushing.  It was stuck in the sand.  Whoops.

It was about here that I realized that I had never gone back to the pool to see who had commandeered the pavilion this morning.

We headed there next.  I saw the group on the way in, but couldn't stop for a photo because of golf cart traffic.  So, we headed in, and down to the campfire area to turn around.  Someone had pulled the posts that prevent carts from going behind the movie screen, and we headed down that path for old time's sake.  Here, we saw that they had set up a bunch of picnic tables.  Presumably for the food truck:

7414471_zpsbf9e566b.jpg

But the food truck wasn't here yet.  Which meant I would have to come back later.

We headed out.

I was driving, so I put Twin #1 in charge of getting photos of the group in the pavilion.  And, she came through big:

7414472_zps9efd0e33.jpg

7414473_zps6c765e45.jpg

I think that guy staring us down with the green solo cup and Puerto Rico shirt is the ringleader.  Seems odd that all those registered campsite guests would be hanging out like that in the pavilion, doesn't it? 

I love that picture.

It was here that we got a text from Twin #2 that she was finally on her way.  So, we headed back to camp, and she arrived not long after.

We then huddled up to make our plans for the evening.  We did not have dinner plans.  Twin #2 said she could go for a GAG.  I reminded her that we had already had one on Thursday night.  And today was Saturday.  "Your point?," she asked.

So, we had our second GAG for this three night trip.

And check this out- the Trail's End beeper worked at our site:

7414474_zps2ad451b6.jpg

This is where the TCD twins hung out while I was trudging back and forth to get the chicken:

7414476_zpse2661a6b.jpg

It was nice out, so we ate at the picnic table.  And something I've never seen before came walking buy as we ate.  A turkey mom and babies:

7414481_zps48993444.jpg

7414482_zpsd1aa6cc8.jpg

As I said, I've never seen such a thing.  But, GDF posted photos of a turkey family in her TR too.  I wonder if this is the same group?  It was a little awkward that they walked by just as we were digging in to our fried chicken.

During dinner, the twins came up with a hare-brained plan. They decided they would pop over to Hollywood Studios to at least see the new Frozen store and play area, and then get back to the Fort in time for the concert and fireworks.

I didn't want leave.  So, they decided to go without me.

Next up, I will run them up to the Outpost, and then I will be hitting up the food truck and spiking another Fiend.

TCD

Didn't the sky look scary that day? I didn't think the fireworks were going to happen at that point. 

Love the picture of the twins in their hammocks. 

I wonder if that is the same turkey family.

Cool that the pager works at the site! 

I really expected the skies to open up, but they never did. Maybe they paid extra for Disney to control the weather?

Here's one of your turkey family photos:

IMG_7516.jpg

I think your turkey babies are a lot younger than the ones we saw.  I've never seen turkey families at the Fort like this, and these seem to be two different ones.  Weird.

Hidden (intentional) Mickey or happy coincidence?

I totally missed that. Good catch.

I zoomed in for a closer look and it looks like it's just some rips in the plastic:

HiddenMickey_zps98ef541e.jpg

Maybe this is an unintentional non-so-hidden Mickey?

TCD

Love the freeloader picture.

I have a question though? Since they are At least pretending to be puerto Ricans, they are actually of this land, right?

Freeloaders be damned though, no matter what land you're from.

2 GAGs in 3 days. You're my hero. I bet Twin#2 had to twist your arm.

You're right. My turkeys were younger.

Give them time.

Love the freeloader picture.

I have a question though? Since they are At least pretending to be puerto Ricans, they are actually of this land, right?

Freeloaders be damned though, no matter what land you're from.

2 GAGs in 3 days. You're my hero. I bet Twin#2 had to twist your arm.

I guess you are technically right about the guests from Puerto Rico.  And I agree, I don't care where they're from-this land or not, I don't like freeloaders.

No one ever needs to twist my arm.  Some time, I want to go to camp at the Fort, and not bring any food.  We will just eat GAG's.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I wonder how long it would take me to get sick of it?  I don't think it would happen.

TCD

Great report TCD. Just getting caught up.

Not sure why, but no matter how many times folks posts them, I still really enjoy the arrival pics as you pass through the MK gates, then see the FW sign.

Use of the patent pending purple marker also provides a degree of comfort. :)

Great report TCD. Just getting caught up.

Not sure why, but no matter how many times folks posts them, I still really enjoy the arrival pics as you pass through the MK gates, then see the FW sign.

Use of the patent pending purple marker also provides a degree of comfort. :)

Thanks for reading and posting, Fred.

I agree with you about the MK gates and FW entrance sign.  I almost always take photos of both.  After all my visits to the Fort, I still have a special feeling when I pass those landmarks on the way in.

Glad you like the purple marker. I have another purple marker drawing coming up.

TCD