Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

The TCD twins and I scored tickets to a sneak preview of the new Disney film Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

The movie critic for my local paper didn't like it.

But we did.

It's a good family movie.  Nothing objectionable, and it had us laughing out loud.

If you're looking for a movie to take the family to, this one is a good choice.

TCD

My sons and I were discussing this after seeing a bunch of commercials the other day, all of which featured Steve Carrell's character. We thought the book focuses on the kid (it's been a while, though). Does the movie feature the father more or does Alexander have a large role. We wondered if the commercials were trying to attract the parents by showing Carrell.

My sons and I were discussing this after seeing a bunch of commercials the other day, all of which featured Steve Carrell's character. We thought the book focuses on the kid (it's been a while, though). Does the movie feature the father more or does Alexander have a large role. We wondered if the commercials were trying to attract the parents by showing Carrell.

I am not familiar with the book.

The movie is about Alexander for sure, but most of the funny scenes involve Carell.   I was happy to see that there were a lot more funny scenes beyond what you see in the trailers.  With a lot of "comedies" lately, you see all the good scenes in the trailer.  Not so with this movie.

TCD

I'm in ....Oh wait Alexander not Andrew I thought TCD was going to write about a bad trip..... never mind! Off to look at some trailers   

edit   OK.. this does looks good. At first I thought this was just going to be a day in the life of Harold but this will make you appropriate your life no mater how bad things are going for you.     thanks for the heads up. 

Critics are like weatherpersons.  Take them with a grain of salt, and they are usually wrong at least 50% of the time.

I would much rather hear a review from a real world person.

Most (not all) kids/family movies get at best a so so review down to "it's the worst piece of junk going".

I was really shocked when the Tampa critic gave Heaven is for Real a great review, and had it in the 5 movies to see list for about a month.

Thanks for the heads up TCD.

But nothing beats The Princess Bride!

Hmmm…we could use an outing next week, maybe we'll go see it. We don't have dollar theaters around here but we do have a fancy theatre with recliners that has $4 movies during the day when it's empty. 

We have theaters like that, but it's not entire theaters, it's balcony sections for over 21 only. Not all the theaters have this section, and they never seem to put Disney movies in those theaters........

Thanks for the movie review.  I have been wondering what it was like since it seems that the book was simply a jumping off place for the movie.   Wasn't sure how I felt about it since I absolutely LOVE the book. 

For those who haven't read the book, here is the general idea:

Alexander wakes up one day and EVERYTHING goes wrong - gum in his hair, teacher doesn't like his drawing, no dessert in his lunchbox, only plain sneakers in his size at the store, kissing shows on TV, peas for dinner, etc.  Nothing bad happens to his brothers.  He decides he wants to move but his mom assures him that everyone has bad days no matter where they live.    The book is a preschool/early elementary book with a neat message to share with your kid when nothing seems to go their way. 

It was cute. Glad they did not drag it out like they seem to do with movies these days.

If I had to do it again, I would wait to see it at the cheap theater.

Definitely a true family friendly movie if you have children of various ages. Those movies are so hard to come by these days.

We saw it tonight at the $5.50 movie and I think we all enjoyed it.  It was packed theater and we were down front which isn't my favorite.  My wife was crying she was laughing so hard at one point.  We all came out of the movie glad we saw it.  I agree with TCD it is a great family movie and there are a lot of clean laughs.

We saw Mom's Night Out on DVD last night and we loved it.  I would highly recommend it as a family flick as well.

We have theaters like that, but it's not entire theaters, it's balcony sections for over 21 only. Not all the theaters have this section, and they never seem to put Disney movies in those theaters........

This is an AMC theater. They redid the entire thing and when you get your tickets your seats are assigned. The seats fully recline. I won't go except for during the day when it's inexpensive and since I homeschool we often go and it's usually empty. The only problem is not falling asleep.