Someone please 'splain this FP+ crap to me

Initially, I booked FP separately.  Then I realized that I could check mark everyone in my party collectively.  I lost a 10AM FP on 7DMT so that I could get 2 FP together on that attraction :(  

I do not like how Disney has bulked together and force me to make selections that I really don't care for, but with each FP selection, I was able to find something in proximity that we all could enjoy.  

I am a HEAVY planner (spreadsheet MADNESS), but I think this year it is just going to be go with the flow.  I have set aside the park days vs. Fort days.  Beyond that, I am not going to stress to badly.  Maybe....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just checked the website. I can't make my fp+ choices yet, because I haven't purchased our annual passes yet.  So the rat is forcing me to spend $$ I wasnt ready to do just to preplan rides that I w

Thanks for the help, err'body.     Carol,   That doesn't sound very "magical". Its crap like this why I don't like the system. I'm not a planner. I would rather show up early and grab a paper FP. oh w

I thought the ones during a resort stay don't count towards your 7 days. 

This is the type of post that I have seen on other sites come from guests defending FP+ by saying they could get the reservations they wanted on short notice.

But, let's be clear on what you had to do to get these FP+'s. You had to pick a day and check for availability one guest at a time. When you found your A&E FP+, you had to book that, as well as two FP+'s you may not have wanted, and then close out and search as another individual guest. And so on. You ended up with separate FP+ reservations for each member of you party. Sometimes you can manipulate the times so they overlap, and you can then enjoy the attraction together. That may work for a small party during a not busy time. It might also work during a busy time, when parks have very extended hours and are operating at full capacity. It won't work for a family of more than 2 or 3 who all wants to see A&E together. Also, when you went, and even now, A&E FP+'s are and were way easier to get than Mine Train FP+'s.

As for what you were able to see as being available tomorrow-you were searching for 1 FP+. You would not have found those attractions available if you searched for 2 or 3 together. Searching for one FP+ at a time and then piecing them together does work, most of the time. Just last week, by checking multiple times, I was able to book 4 FP+'s for the Mine Train on a Wednesday to use the next day-Thursday. But, despite multiple attempts, I could only get two of them to have an overlapping return time.

So, yes, there are last minute FP+'s available, but when you're trying to get a group of more than 2 to ride together, it's not easy, and most of the time it's impossible. And, it's one thing to be able to do that at home from your computer, but it wouldn't be easy to do from a park or resort during your vacation.

TCD

The search I did last night was for 2 people... Z and me.

The search I did last night was for 2 people... Z and me.

I didn't know you got Z a pass.  So, you're saying that when you searched for 2 FP+'s on a Sunday for a Monday during a slow time, there was no availability for the Mine Train,  A&E, and all the others you listed.  That is not a good thing.

And the booking separate and overlapping thing is a pain in the ass. Luckily I only had to do that for 2 things. I'm just saying that the idea that NO headliners are open is false. Most are.

It depends on what you call a headliner.

Also, remember that we are now coming up on the first Thanksgiving and the first Christmas where all guests have access to FP+. 

I don't think it's going to be pretty.

TCD

Just checked tomorrow. October 20th for 1 person and there are no FP+ available for A&E or SDMT. Those are the headliners I want to do. And I can't unless I wait in a long, long line. Or I I had booked 60 days ago.

With the old system I could at least walk in the park and get a FP for those rides.

Again ivy and I don't want to plan. Not even one day in advance. But Disney has taken away that option for us.

I know. I know I can still ride other rides. Or wait in longer lines than before.

I'm truly glad that the new system works well for the planners out there. I actually enjoy reading about how y'all go about planning your trips. I sometimes wish I was more of a planner

But let me be clear. I DON't WANT TO PLAN!

Just to add my two cents, I prefer the old FP system to the new FP+ system.  It did mean that my dh was "running" for a fastpass while we were in line for Dumbo on our 2010 trip, but it did allow more spontaneity.  

However, I am a Que Sera, Sera kinda gal, and i just figure i should make the best of what it is.

So I have tried to research and find the best way to use the FP+ system.  I will happily share what I have learned. :)

Great news, everyone!!

I got a Fastpass+ time to poop in the Rapunzel bathrooms at 9:40am on Dec 23rd!! 

Do you have any idea how difficult that FP is to get? 

Who says this My Magic thing isn't awesome? 

I hope you didn't forget to FP+ the TP too.

It sounds like you did.

So, you'll get to take care of business fine, but then you're going to have to stand in line for the TP.

Fail.

Just to add my two cents, I prefer the old FP system to the new FP+ system.  It did mean that my dh was "running" for a fastpass while we were in line for Dumbo on our 2010 trip, but it did allow more spontaneity.  

However, I am a Que Sera, Sera kinda gal, and i just figure i should make the best of what it is.

So I have tried to research and find the best way to use the FP+ system.  I will happily share what I have learned. :)

I don't like the new system either, but it's here, and it's not going anywhere.

I agree with you- we need to share what we know to help each other maximize what the new system allows.

It is not completely awful.  One good benefit that guests visiting during the upcoming holidays will be able to take advantage of is being able to ride attractions via rope drop at one park, and still have FP+'s to use in the evening at another.  That would not have been possible under the old system.

TCD

Another thought about this system that occurred to me....and I'm wondering how many people are doing this:

You can book FP's 60 days before your stay, for the length of your stay.  I asked a question recently about how it works if I have to push my check-in back a day after booking my FP selections.  Apparently it's fine to do that and I won't lose my FP's.  So if you are going to WDW during a busy week like Christmas, couldn't you book your check in for a day in the much quieter week before Christmas, book all your FP selections 60 days before that check in when there is much less competition for them, and then subsequently cancel the extra days on your reservation?  It seems wrong to do....but I bet there are lots of people gaming the system this way.  

I thought about doing this for ADRs and I agree if we thought about it I'm sure there are tons of people that do it.  Heck people came up with the "throw a way night" at the Fort just to get extra magic hours and Magic Bands so I'm sure they thought of the book extra nights idea too.

WBI

Great news, everyone!!

I got a Fastpass+ time to poop in the Rapunzel bathrooms at 9:40am on Dec 23rd!!

Those who have FP+ times at the Rapunzel bathroom the same day as Dave will want to reschedule that Fast Pass.

Great news, everyone!!

Now the fertilizer is going to hit the windmill.