Overall experience from recent trip

On another note, we went to Ohana one night and the table next to us had an infant in a high chair. The parents put the baby's food right on the table, no plate and the mess on the floor was equal to the mess on the table. The parents thought it was funny the mess the child made. It's not the baby's fault if course but the scum bag parents. No respect or courtesy these days. Can you imagine where that rag has been all night that wiped that table?

Was this us? We went to Ohana on the 22nd last week.

I don't think we are scumbags, but we put our 1-year old's food directly on the table a lot so???

High chairs at home have a tray for the kid, but at a restaurant all you have is the table, am I missing some trick that parents use? We do try to give it a good wipe down first with those disinfecting wipes. Plus if we give him a plate he likes to grab it and move it around, we make less of a mess without it.

Our boy likes to feed himself so we let him, most of the time he doesn't want to be spoon fed, especially something like bread or meat.

I also try to pick up as much food as possible but I'm sure I miss some of it and I don't remember laughing at him when food fell on the floor, but he is cute and pretty funny so who knows.

WBI

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's it, exactly.   Based on what I've seen, the problem is that there are guests using the Fort as a place to congregate and party- not to camp.  Over Thanksgiving weekend, there were a couple of l

The problem is they have a unique product (campground at an attraction) and they know it.   Now if Universal decided to build a campground, or if KOA built a large one in the area they may start to li

I can solve this problem. Bring beer to my campsite, and I'll take care of the rule breakers who are bothering you. 

Thanks Beckers!

After I wrote that I googled it and saw those, I guess I'll have to get some.

WBI

I habe seen trailers parked in the over flow lots that seem like they have been there for awhile. I know there was a pop up last year that was there a good month. Though when I had reservations booked for every weekend of Flower and Garden and asked if we could leave the trailer in overflow during the week I was told no! ( I spoke to multiple people "manager" both in person and on the phone). We ended up canceling most of the reservations as it was to much money and work to tow the trailer back and forth every weekend.

My thought on it was it would be no different then someone who is on a cruise leaving there trailer there, well except those people are spending money with Disney while their trailer sits in the lot.

After the final no I asked about the pop up that had been there so long, oddly enough no one had any idea what I was talking about.

I have to chime in now with my 2 cents worth.  If a group anywhere around our site had more cars than allowed and more than 10 people actually staying on the site I would report them and keep reporting them until those in charge got tired of my calls and did something about it.   I am a person who hates to complain and possibly spoil another's vacation, but as mentioned above, we pay a LOT to stay at the Fort and to have our vacation ruined due to people who constantly break the rules is unfair to all of us.  The squeeking wheel gets the oil....well if I squeek enough they will eventually come down on those folks just to shut me up.   Perhaps we all need to start doing that.  If enough of us complain constantly, they will eventually do something about it.   We have a right to enjoy our vacation without having it ruined by those who never follow any of the rules.  But to give the campers the benefit of a doubt, until the management comes down on them they will think it is O.K. to do what they are doing.

Most of you know us and our children and know that we love Disney World and the Fort more than any other place anywhere.  But with all we are reading this year, we may decide to spend our long Christmas Vacation in the mountains of TN next year.  I already have my reservations at the Fort but I want to enjoy the trip.  We would come to Disney for Thanksgiving so we can enjoy the lights and decorations but then head back home.

Let's all make our voices heard....speak up and don't stop until something is done.  I remember several years ago a family from

the snow country parked right across from our site.  We had gotten to know them and were really fond of them.  They had to pull a flat bed trailer behind the RV and cover everything on it to protect it from all the snow they drove through.  There was plenty of room on our site for the trailer so we told them they could park it there.  Next thing we know one of the Disney Security people was at our door asking if the trailer was ours and we told him no but that we had given the owners permission to put it there.  He said they have to move it as it is

on the grassy area.  So the family hooked it back up and took it to the overflow lot.  That one trailer was not hindering anyone's parking or anything.  But we found out that was one of the rules so we all understood.  Now we see all that is going on and no one even caring.

Makes me literally ill. :(

Though when I had reservations booked for every weekend of Flower and Garden and asked if we could leave the trailer in overflow during the week I was told no! (

My thought on it was it would be no different then someone who is on a cruise leaving there trailer there, well except those people are spending money with Disney while their trailer sits in the lot.

It is different. There are many people with back to back weekend ressies. If everybody wanted to do that it would be full all the time.

I'm in the out of touch camp too.  I just don't understand the "me" attitude so many young people have today.

Agreed.  Even sadder, is the fact that the "me" attitude parents are raising "me" attitude children.  If, as adults, we don't set the example...why in the world would children do any different?

I have to chime in now with my 2 cents worth.  If a group anywhere around our site had more cars than allowed and more than 10 people actually staying on the site I would report them and keep reporting them until those in charge got tired of my calls and did something about it.   I am a person who hates to complain and possibly spoil another's vacation, but as mentioned above, we pay a LOT to stay at the Fort and to have our vacation ruined due to people who constantly break the rules is unfair to all of us.  The squeeking wheel gets the oil....well if I squeek enough they will eventually come down on those folks just to shut me up.   Perhaps we all need to start doing that.  If enough of us complain constantly, they will eventually do something about it.   We have a right to enjoy our vacation without having it ruined by those who never follow any of the rules.  But to give the campers the benefit of a doubt, until the management comes down on them they will think it is O.K. to do what they are doing.

Let's all make our voices heard....speak up and don't stop until something is done.   

AGREED!!  I do think it's important that we let Disney know where improvements can be made... but I will clarify with saying that we need to do so in an encouraging way.  I think it was TCD who ran into an issue with a CM and by speaking with respect, he was able to receive a positive result.  That's an excellent example.  I think each of us should make sure that the Fort (via Disney Corporate) understands that we choose to spend our money at Disney because we truly love being there; but that if they do not work hard to keep Disney magical, that we will choose to spend our time (and more important to them, our money) somewhere else.

Was this us? We went to Ohana on the 22nd last week.

I don't think we are scumbags, but we put our 1-year old's food directly on the table a lot so???

High chairs at home have a tray for the kid, but at a restaurant all you have is the table, am I missing some trick that parents use? We do try to give it a good wipe down first with those disinfecting wipes. Plus if we give him a plate he likes to grab it and move it around, we make less of a mess without it.

Our boy likes to feed himself so we let him, most of the time he doesn't want to be spoon fed, especially something like bread or meat.

I also try to pick up as much food as possible but I'm sure I miss some of it and I don't remember laughing at him when food fell on the floor, but he is cute and pretty funny so who knows.

WBI

No not you, we went on Saturday the 29th. I'm just a germaphob our choice was to always use a plate or a pad when our kids were small. I also have been in the food service/ rest. Business most of my life and I know all the sanitary short cuts servers will take...and I can be OCD. As far as the kids mess on the floor, I believe there is no excuse to leave a table like that. I would think most people would not do that in their home, so what makes this any different. There is just not respect in the world anymore

No not you, we went on Saturday the 29th. I'm just a germaphob our choice was to always use a plate or a pad when our kids were small. I also have been in the food service/ rest. Business most of my life and I know all the sanitary short cuts servers will take...and I can be OCD. As far as the kids mess on the floor, I believe there is no excuse to leave a table like that. I would think most people would not do that in their home, so what makes this any different. There is just not respect in the world anymore

Ok good!  We were really wondering if we left a mess or not, we try not to.

I agree about the germs, it always grossed me out which is why we wiped it down first, he likes to dump out his plate so I'm hoping those sticky place mats will work for him.

I fully agree about the mess on the floor, I always try to clean it up as best as possible, and even then I feel bad so I end up tipping even more than normal. 

WBI

Most of you know us and our children and know that we love Disney World and the Fort more than any other place anywhere.  But with all we are reading this year, we may decide to spend our long Christmas Vacation in the mountains of TN next year.  I already have my reservations at the Fort but I want to enjoy the trip.  We would come to Disney for Thanksgiving so we can enjoy the lights and decorations but then head back home.

Let's all make our voices heard....speak up and don't stop until something is done.  I remember several years ago a family from

the snow country parked right across from our site.  We had gotten to know them and were really fond of them.  They had to pull a flat bed trailer behind the RV and cover everything on it to protect it from all the snow they drove through.  There was plenty of room on our site for the trailer so we told them they could park it there.  Next thing we know one of the Disney Security people was at our door asking if the trailer was ours and we told him no but that we had given the owners permission to put it there.  He said they have to move it as it is

on the grassy area.  So the family hooked it back up and took it to the overflow lot.  That one trailer was not hindering anyone's parking or anything.  But we found out that was one of the rules so we all understood.  Now we see all that is going on and no one even caring.

Makes me literally ill. :(

I agree 200%.

Money talks, but in Disneys case if they lost everyone that has ever camped at the Fort, they would still probably be able to keep it full.

If there are problems, call the front desk over and over until something gets done about it.

Let's all make our voices heard....speak up and don't stop until something is done.

I agree. I think we should all embark on a letter writing campaign. I think one of us should locate the physical mailing address to Fort management and then each one of us write a physical letter and mail it to them. Email is great, but trust me, well-written snail mail still grabs more attention.

Imagine if you were the manager of the resort and suddenly letters start flooding your desk.

Here are some topics I'd suggest addressing in the letter:

• Multiple vehicles on each site. I believe there should only be one vehicle allowed per site. Anything else should be moved to the overflow lot. I understand folks can park multiple vehicles on most sites without blocking anyone, but that's not the point -- the point is the aesthetics and atmosphere of the Fort. Allowing multiple vehicles per site creates a parking lot atmosphere, not a camping one.

• Horns on Disney golf carts. These should be removed.

• Rowdy, drunk group parties. I'm all for having fun. I'm also all for enjoying a few libations. But when you've had so many that EVERYTHING -- including your shoe becoming untied -- becomes hilarious, it's over the line and obnoxious.

• Drunk soccer moms at the movie not watching children and talking obnoxiously loud over the movie.

• Oversized golf carts.

• Semi trucks being used to pull fifth wheels. They should not be permitted to park in the campground.

• Utility trailers, UHaul trailers, or work trailers with advertisements on the side of them. Again, this turns the atmosphere into a parking lot. And again, it doesn't matter if it isn't blocking anyone. Looks junky. That's the world we try to escape when we vacation at Disney.

• Lack of wilderness. Seriously, Disney, get up and do something about this. Plant some Florida scrub brush and ferns, for crying out loud. Anything. The barren nature of many loops is downright depressing. Wagon Wheel Way looks like a petrified forest.

• High top tables on the porch. We can definitely unite and get rid of this, if each of us here complains.

• Lack of classic theming at the Fort: Topiaries, hammocks, wagons, totem poles, etc. This type of theming is in abundance at other resorts. There's no reason it shouldn't be at the Fort.

• Children driving golf carts. I mean, come on. While you're at it, please bring in Gaston to flog the parents who allow this.

• Any sign of trailer park "permanence." You know what I mean. If you have potted plants at your site and the potted plants have been there so long there are weeds growing out of the pots, you gotta go.

I will try to get a mailing address for Fort management, if anyone is willing to join me.

I have noticed a lot of underage drivers as well as a lot more golf carts going the wrong way around loops then ever before.

While I have nothing against kids having fun there was a group in the 500 loop this weekend that thought they owned it. Kids and parents would stand in the middle of the road and look at you like you were imposing on them by trying to walk, drive, or ride your bike through "their" part of the loop.

Yet I got royally yelled at by a bus driver for passing a bus that was not even stopped but supposedly had his flashers on. ( He was going one way I was going the other). I have always made it a point to stop for busses both here or anywhere if they are stopped.

Good ole rule enforcement

I will try to get a mailing address for Fort management, if anyone is willing to join me.

Trying to find a mailing address or even an email address for Disney on a Disney website is next to impossible.

I found this information on a website listing corporations address's.

Maybe a letter to Disney executives just may get things changed at the Fort.

I don't think complaining to the Fort management will do much.  I'm sure they hear about issues on a daily basis, and it seems like a lot of people on this site complain about the same things over and over with nothing getting done.

Telling the CEO and the CFO that your trips are becoming less magical with each visit, and your going to take your $$$ elsewhere, is a way to get their attention.

Disney Corporate Office

Disney Corporate Office AddressWalt Disney Company
500 S Buena Vista St
Burbank, CA 91521 Contact DisneyPhone Number: (818) 560-1000
Fax Number: (818) 560-1930
Email: Email Disney Executives

CEO: Robert A. Iger
CFO: James A. Rasulo
COO: Alan N. Braverman

But if you want to try locally first I also found this information that might help.

Walt Disney World Guest Relations
P.O. Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

This is the universal address. For example, if you want to write to the General Manager of All Star Music, or any other resort, address the envelope to the person and use the P.O. Box 10000 address.

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

[email protected]

Robert A. Iger
Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Thomas O. Staggs
Chairman
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Meg Crofton
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations, U.S. & France
The Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040

Karl L. Holz
President New Vacation Operations and Disney Cruise Line
PO Box 10000

Mr. George Kalogridas
President, Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL  32830-1000

I'm willing!

Trying to find a mailing address or even an email address for Disney on a Disney website is next to impossible.

We need someone on the inside......

Is this the address?

Ft. Wilderness Campground4510 N. Fort Wilderness TrailLake Buena Vista, FL 32830

It's N. Ft. Wilderness trail

The GM Jose actually has his office at the Lodge if I remember correctly. Send a letter to the FORTand it will be intercepted by his #2 man Sam Gates and you will get a generic "We do enforce the rules when we see a violation" response, been there, done that.

It's N. Ft. Wilderness trail

The GM Jose actually has his office at the Lodge if I remember correctly. Send a letter to the FORTand it will be intercepted by his #2 man Sam Gates and you will get a generic "We do enforce the rules when we see a violation" response, been there, done that.

Exactly. Why bother writing a letter?

Jose doesn't give a rip about any of the things listed in this thread.

He only cares about achieving the occupancy levels that generate the most profit.  As long as that is happening nothing will change.  At least not for the better.  In fact, the more stuff he can cut out, the better for his bottom line.

I believe that is very short-sighted, but Jose will have moved on to bigger and better things before those chickens come home to roost.

And you think anyone up the chain will care?  The object of this game is to make money, not to please the customer.  As long as the bottom line is pretty, none of them care about what is actually happening at the Fort.

TCD

He only cares about achieving the occupancy levels that generate the most profit. As long as that is happening nothing will change. At least not for the better. In fact, the more stuff he can cut out, the better for his bottom line.

I believe that is very short-sighted, but Jose will have moved on to bigger and better things before those chickens come home to roost.

And you think anyone up the chain will care? The object of this game is to make money, not to please the customer. As long as the bottom line is pretty, none of them care about what is actually happening at the Fort.

TCD

Sad but true. See it all too often in business these days.

He only cares about achieving the occupancy levels that generate the most profit.  As long as that is happening nothing will change.  At least not for the better.  In fact, the more stuff he can cut out, the better for his bottom line.

And you think anyone up the chain will care?  The object of this game is to make money, not to please the customer.  As long as the bottom line is pretty, none of them care about what is actually happening at the Fort.

TCD

The problem is they have a unique product (campground at an attraction) and they know it.

Now if Universal decided to build a campground, or if KOA built a large one in the area they may start to listen more to the complaints.

The general consensus seems to be that the Fort management won't do anything to make the Fort better.

So I say step it up a notch and start complaining to Iger and the CFO.  Tell them about the issues the Fort is having and how your overall experiences have slowly been going downhill.

Let them know what you loved about the Fort in the past and how it made you love all things Disney.

Invite them to visit you when you are there.

Ask them if they have ever set foot in the Fort as an average visitor and not with a 40 person entourage.

Let them know about the over crowded sites, bad behavior, lack of overflow parking, outsiders invading on weekends etc.

Ask them if they feel that these things make for a magical experience, and if they do, then why don't they tolerate the same things at the hotels.

If they allow 10 people on a site, why not 8 or 10 people in a room.

If they allow loud music and drunken parties on a site until 1 a.m. why not the same at the Grand Floridian?

The campsites used to be treated the same way as all of the other Disney properties.

Poor judgement and lack of good management has allowed it to slide downhill to an anything goes type of third world property.

But then again, when they do decide to start enforcing the rules about the lights being off at 10 (I know I know, they don't enforce evenly) people start raising their pitchforks and storm the castle !

Years ago you were told the rules and obeyed them, and if you didn't you were asked to comply or leave.

Now management either lets things slide, or the rule breaker just ignores them because they know nothing is going to happen to them.

Start enforcing rules, drop back to 1 vehicle per site, clean up the overflow (it wouldn't be hard to give a dated, site numbered parking permit to place on the vehicle out there at check in).  If they park half-assed make them come out and move it.  If it's there after their check out date have it towed to an impound lot.  

Enforce the golf cart, skateboard, ripstick etc. rules.

Make quiet time quiet time.  You can still sit around your site visiting after 10, but I shouldn't have to hear every word and belch 3 sites away.

Crack down on the tweens and teens running wild around the loops

Eject outsiders from the pools.

Again, none of these things are tolerated at any of the other Disney hotels so why at the Fort?

Just my 2 cents....

The problem is they have a unique product (campground at an attraction) and they know it.

Now if Universal decided to build a campground, or if KOA built a large one in the area they may start to listen more to the complaints.

The general consensus seems to be that the Fort management won't do anything to make the Fort better.

So I say step it up a notch and start complaining to Iger and the CFO.  Tell them about the issues the Fort is having and how your overall experiences have slowly been going downhill.

Let them know what you loved about the Fort in the past and how it made you love all things Disney.

Invite them to visit you when you are there.

Ask them if they have ever set foot in the Fort as an average visitor and not with a 40 person entourage.

Let them know about the over crowded sites, bad behavior, lack of overflow parking, outsiders invading on weekends etc.

Ask them if they feel that these things make for a magical experience, and if they do, then why don't they tolerate the same things at the hotels.

If they allow 10 people on a site, why not 8 or 10 people in a room.

If they allow loud music and drunken parties on a site until 1 a.m. why not the same at the Grand Floridian?

The campsites used to be treated the same way as all of the other Disney properties.

Poor judgement and lack of good management has allowed it to slide downhill to an anything goes type of third world property.

But then again, when they do decide to start enforcing the rules about the lights being off at 10 (I know I know, they don't enforce evenly) people start raising their pitchforks and storm the castle !

Years ago you were told the rules and obeyed them, and if you didn't you were asked to comply or leave.

Now management either lets things slide, or the rule breaker just ignores them because they know nothing is going to happen to them.

Start enforcing rules, drop back to 1 vehicle per site, clean up the overflow (it wouldn't be hard to give a dated, site numbered parking permit to place on the vehicle out there at check in).  If they park half-assed make them come out and move it.  If it's there after their check out date have it towed to an impound lot.  

Enforce the golf cart, skateboard, ripstick etc. rules.

Make quiet time quiet time.  You can still sit around your site visiting after 10, but I shouldn't have to hear every word and belch 3 sites away.

Crack down on the tweens and teens running wild around the loops

Eject outsiders from the pools.

Again, none of these things are tolerated at any of the other Disney hotels so why at the Fort?

Just my 2 cents....

Great post, Mark.

But from Bob Iger all the way down the chain, the only thing that Disney management cares about is the bottom line.

As long as suckers like us keep forking over our dollars and the occupancy rates at the Fort stay within the range they want, they don't give a hoot about what we think.

Those folks with the UHaul trailer and salsa music paid to stay at the Fort.  If one of us stops coming because of the noise, that just leaves a site open for the next group and their UHaul.  As long as the sites stay within their target occupancy level, they don't care who stays in them or what they do in them.

Letters aren't going to work.

Empty campsites would work.

Who wants to stop going ?

TCD

We have only been to the Fort twice, but loved it both times.  We plan to stay there on future trips.  The thing I worry about is if empty spots do start to show up and they don't

reach thier capacity targets the short-sighted cash-now-and-to-hades-about-the-long-term-effect MBAs will say, "See people aren't showing up!  We NEED the Fort DVC area!" 

Then the Fort will disappear for good.  That is my worry.

Great post, Mark.

But from Bob Iger all the way down the chain, the only thing that Disney management cares about is the bottom line.

As long as suckers like us keep forking over our dollars and the occupancy rates at the Fort stay within the range they want, they don't give a hoot about what we think.

Those folks with the UHaul trailer and salsa music paid to stay at the Fort.  If one of us stops coming because of the noise, that just leaves a site open for the next group and their UHaul.  As long as the sites stay within their target occupancy level, they don't care who stays in them or what they do in them.

Letters aren't going to work.

Empty campsites would work.

Who wants to stop going ?

TCD

TCD, you are correct money does talk.

The U-Haul  people did pay to stay there, but that doesn't give them or someone in a $500,000 RV the right to break the rules and spoil someone elses stay.

And the person whose stay is getting ruined shouldn't have to confront the inconsiderate jerks, or even have to call the front desk.  They should have enough rangers/security/off duty cops to patrol the Fort and keep it enjoyable for everyone.

If they cracked down on rule breakers (fairly across the board) then just maybe those type won't come back because they can't do whatever they feel like.

If they get away with whatever they feel like without repercussions, of course they will be back, bringing even more rule breakers with them.