Sam's Club (and I presume Costco, and possibly other places) sell Disney gift cards at a discount.  They have $150 cards for around $143.  I'm thinking of possibly buying around $1,500 worth, which would come at a $70 discount from face value, and then use them at check in to pay for the site.  I'd miss out on the Disney Visa 2% rebate as Sam's doesn't accept Visa, but still end up $40-50 ahead....enough to pay for some lunch or something. 

Has anyone done this?  Any problems using the gift cards at check in?  Can you still do online check in, or would that already have charged my Visa before I arrive? 

This sounds simple, but if it is too much of a hastle for some reason I'm not aware of, it wouldn't be worth the savings. 

Sam's Club (and I presume Costco, and possibly other places) sell Disney gift cards at a discount.  They have $150 cards for around $143.  I'm thinking of possibly buying around $1,500 worth, which would come at a $70 discount from face value, and then use them at check in to pay for the site.  I'd miss out on the Disney Visa 2% rebate as Sam's doesn't accept Visa, but still end up $40-50 ahead....enough to pay for some lunch or something. 

Has anyone done this?  Any problems using the gift cards at check in?  Can you still do online check in, or would that already have charged my Visa before I arrive? 

This sounds simple, but if it is too much of a hastle for some reason I'm not aware of, it wouldn't be worth the savings. 

Sounds like too much work for a small discount ...

Sounds like too much work for a small discount ...

What I'm trying to figure out is whether there is a catch....because just buying some gift cards at Sam's and using them at check in doesn't sound like much work to save $50 or more.  I shop at Sam's anyways.  Are you seeing something I'm not that makes this a lot of work? 

I have bought gift cards from Kroger when they offered the mega fuel points. I do use them to pay for our site. With a target red debit card you can get 5% off gift cards.

This would be about 5% off, so sort of comparable.  So you've never had an issue using the gift cards?

What I'm trying to figure out is whether there is a catch....because just buying some gift cards at Sam's and using them at check in doesn't sound like much work to save $50 or more. I shop at Sam's anyways. Are you seeing something I'm not that makes this a lot of work?

This would be about 5% off, so sort of comparable. So you've never had an issue using the gift cards?

The only issue is if you charge on your MB, make sure you pay off the balance a couple days before you leave. I waited too long once. It wasn't a big deal though. They just refunded and used the cards.

I check the Target ads every Sunday. Sometimes they have a deal where if you buy a particular product they will give you a $5 or $10 target GC. I will do this when it is for a product I actually use and collect them over the course of the year. Then I buy Disney gift cards with them.

I charge things to the room then pay it off with the gift cards. I have never had a problem but it can be time consuming so I can see where it would be beneficial to go down and pay off the balance every couple of days.

I have been tempted to buy the cards at BJs for probably the same discount you're getting at Sams Club. I say every little bit helps, especially with kids. Every time we even save a little bit we'll say 'hey, that's a couple of Mickey bars!'

I have been tempted to buy the cards at BJs for probably the same discount you're getting at Sams Club. I say every little bit helps, especially with kids. Every time we even save a little bit we'll say 'hey, that's a couple of Mickey bars!'

We do the same thing... we charge to our Disney Visa when we can and say "hey that's a coke" or "that's a Mickey bar" :)

Dave... I'm all for saving a buck; if I had a Sam's membership, I'd buy a few.  Be careful of expiration dates but... I'm guessing you're planning to use them for this year's Christmas trip so, you'll be good there.

Last Christians I went to target and bought enough Disney gift cards (Red Card 5%) to buy 3 APs. I had no problems except when we tried to purchase our APs. If you use them to buy tickets don't deposit them into your acct. buy the tickets with them. But as other poster said be sure to only deposit what you know you will use.

Thanks for the input everyone!  

Jason, I like your suggestion to apply the gift cards to my account before even leaving.  That would make it easy peasy.  And like you said....I won't toss the used cards until later after everything is final.  

What the heck....if I save $50 that is a whole BUNCH of Mickey bars!!  

Sam's Club will take Wal-Mart Gift Cards.... Go to Wal-Mart and buy the gift cards with your Disney Visa, and get the 2% rebate, then go to Sam's and use the Wal-Mart cards to buy the Disney cards.

That's a great idea.

Now we know why Rick keeps you around. Lol.

When I used to buy the baseball team concession stand stuff, that's how I had to do it..... Sam's used to not take ANY credit cards, and I never had enough in my checking account to make the purchases, so used my CC to buy Wal-Mart cards, then went to Sam's, then got reimbursed from the ball team.