Surprise, Santa, and a Shiny new AP Holder… A GDF Trip Report

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it’s time for another GDF trip report. This trip started small and ended up much bigger. Originally, I thought Z and I might drive down for a few days before Christmas to see some Disney lights

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.   We weren’t doing

Okay so I'm about half way done with this report.  It's keeping me sane on these hard days of adjustment.  We got home from China about a week and a half ago!  Yay!   Here's the boys at the airport!  

It’s time for an update! And this one even includes a cute Anna pic! I’m expecting lots of up arrows, so don’t let me down. Oh yeah, DIT was there too. DIT, where are you?

So we headed to Germany to meet the DIT crew at Biergarten.

IMG_1328.jpg

Sometime during the planning, I booked the Candlelight Processional at Biergarten. Since Dave also reads my boyfriend’s crowd calendars, he was going to Epcot that day too. And guess what? They had an ADR about 30 minutes later than ours. So we hatched a plan. What if we went together and asked to sit together? I’ve had great luck checking in early, so I thought it would work.

We ran into the older DIT daughters almost right away. Dave was running a little late. They were back in Morocco trying to talk security into letting them stay in the park after Anna felt up Jasmine. OK, the last part is slightly embellished.

I went to the desk and talked to the hostess. She changed our reservation to one big party, so we’d be seated together. It wasn’t even a problem that my family was doing the CP package and Dave’s wasn’t. Awesome! They gave me a pager to wait for our table.

Here are the Biergarten show times in case you’re interested.

IMG_1330.jpg

Decorations

IMG_1332.jpg

Meanwhile, Anna got broken out of Disney jail, and the rest of the DIT family arrived. She and Z chatted.

Yes, Z is in his stroller because we knew this was going to be a looooooooooong day.

IMG_1333.jpg

And then we were at our table. Cheeese!

IMG_1335.jpg

I wanted to get more pictures of the buffet, but it was busy. Plus, I had to make a plate for Z and for me. So you just get the carving station.

IMG_1336.jpg

But here’s my plate!

IMG_1337.jpg

That’s carved pork, a pretzel roll, AWESOME mac and cheese, green beans, potatoes, and chicken. I was a little sad that they didn’t have the potato dumplings I fell in love with on our last visit, but the food was yummy.

And of course, we had to order Biers.

IMG_1338.jpg

You may remember from some DIT trip reports that fries are Anna’s favorite food. They asked if it would be possible for her to have some fries. They said they thought so and went back to the kitchen. Our waitress came back, and it turns out the fryer was down. Bummer…. Except then Disney did something awesome, something very Disney-like.

A little later, these arrived!

IMG_1339.jpg

Now you can see that Anna is very happy there. I just wish I could have captured her squeal of delight and clapping excitement. It was one of the highlights of my trip. The chef had sent someone to get Anna fries… apparently they traveled all the way to the American pavilion to get them! Isn’t that awesome? Too bad there isn’t a video.

We chatted and watched the entertainment.

IMG_1340.jpg

Random Z picture

IMG_1341.jpg

Boys and their biers

IMG_1342.jpg

And this reminds me. DIT can confirm that Jason WAS NOT wearing orange.

Our waitress was pretty, so Z wanted a picture with her.

IMG_1343.jpg

Here are the “adults” of the group.

IMG_1344.jpg

After that, we parted ways. DIT and INC got to have some adult time together, and we headed the direction of the Candlelight Processional.

Sorry it’s a short update. I need to upload more pictures tonight. But hey, this one included a dirndl, an Anna pic, and Bier. That's quality. 

Yes, Z is in his stroller because we knew this was going to be a looooooooooong day.

IMG_1333.jpg

And then we were at our table. Cheeese!

IMG_1335.jpg

I think it's great that you brought Z's stroller!  Heck...if they made one large enough for me, I'd sit in it too :)

You and Dave look like siblings...haha :)

I think it's great that you brought Z's stroller!  Heck...if they made one large enough for me, I'd sit in it too :)

You and Dave look like siblings...haha :)

You know what? I see it too now that you mention it. That's pretty funny. 

That is quality!

Good job!

I'll bet that meal was a lot of fun.

TCD

It was a great time!

That's so funny. I looked at that picture and said out loud "They look like brother and sister."

Great update...those biers look like pitchers.  My husband would love it there.

Yes, yes, and yes.... I have evidence of the pitcher size in the next update. 

I think Dave and I need to talk to our moms. 

And that is why I have no problem spending money to go visit WDW. Their customer service is outstanding. Super happy that Anna got her fries.

My experience with their service has been stellar for the most parts. I really wish I could have captured Anna's reaction to her fries. It was priceless. 

I mean really, I posted an Anna pic and went to Biergarten with the DIT family, and I get 4 comments... none of which are from Ray. You people need to step it up. 

I'll continue anyway. 

We headed out of Biergarten and towards the American Pavilion. It was mentioned that the biers at Biergarten are the size of a pitcher. I submit exhibit A to support that fact. The cup in my hand is my leftovers.

IMG_1347.jpg

Family photo

PhotoPass_Visiting_Epcot_7132530260.jpg

During our late lunch, Dave had suggested we get to check in fairly early but told me not to worry if there was what looked like a long line.

While Jason and Z hung by the fountain, I checked out the scene.

IMG_1349-1.jpg

The line was already really long, so I went to suggest we just wait in line. And yes, I realize that’s funny since I refuse to wait in lines for rides.

Not too crowded here.

IMG_1350-1.jpg

I had to snap a couple pics of my cuties before we got in line.

IMG_1352-1.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

These people are waiting in the non-package line. I had serious doubts about them getting in.

IMG_1355.jpg

It wasn’t long before they let us in.

We got seats here… We’re about 10 rows back. Winning!

IMG_1356.jpg

Here’s the program that includes the narrators.

IMG_1358.jpg

From what I understand, the singers in the middle of the stage are professional while those on the sides are from high schools. My school actually went last year.

The performance began. We’re at the 5:00 show, so it wasn’t dark at the beginning.

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

It was still cool though.

Filing in

IMG_1363.jpg

Everyone in place

IMG_1364.jpg

Our narrator was Marlee Matlin. Since she’s deaf, she signs the story and her interpreter narrates the story. It was really cool. During parts, she also signed the music, and you can definitely tell she feels the songs.

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

We loved the show! Seeing and hearing the story of the birth of Jesus so close to Christmas really reinforced the reason for the season. And I was so glad that we had the dinner package because every person I saw in the theater had the package sticker on. I don’t know if any of the standby guests got in.

As we exited the show, Epcot as just a little busy.

IMG_1368.jpg

But that’s okay because we’re about to hop to DHS. Yes, the GDF is hopping! You know we never do that right? We're going to see some Osborne lights... FINALLY!

Love BOTH of these updates :)

I can just see Anna's little squeal. Boy is she getting tall!! I think she's grown since I saw her last :)

And it looks like Jason has some beer drinking catching up to do on Dave!

It was my first time meeting Anna, but I know she's gotten bigger because she was able to ride some of the rides she hadn't before. 

Trust me, Jason can hold his own! 

Great updates!

I've heard Marlee Matlin is a really good narrator.  And the CP overall is such a moving experience.

Looking forward to your Osborne Lights pictures! 

She was very good. I'm so glad we went!

We're usually at the Fort in October, so I've never even heard of the CP.... sounds like a really neat experience!  We should definitely try to attend one year :)

It's great. You need to see it. And it's a good excuse for a trip, right? 

Whew! Caught up.

First of all missy. Some of us have to work and I had to have my iPhone, iPad, and computer monitor worked on yesterday. They said they were working just fine but there still making men's red shirts look ORANGE! Lol.

Ok two updates to comment on.

The first update was, well let's just say...I laughed. I cried. It moved me Kelly. What more could I ask for.

You were at Epcot, you ate at my favorite restaurant with an awesome family. There was pood forn, bier. And a great Anna pic. ( I'm weeping rigjt now as I type.).

For all of you who want to how to write a great TR take notes. Kelly nailed it with that update.

Now to clarify something about Kelly and Dave. Yes they are brother and sister. So are me and Missy. Just ask Disney's Memory Maker people. And yes I got the good looks in our family. Lol.

CLP sounds so nice. One day I hope we get to see and hear it. Great tip on having the dinner package. We did it with the Fantasmic show and probably won't see it again without the dinner package.

Hey- I learned something new!  I didn't know you could get a to-go cup at Biergarten.  I wish I had known that, as I had to chug my bier the last time we were there so we could make it out in time for Illuminations.

You'd be surprised how many guests can still get seated at the Candlelight Processional without the dining package.  We were lucky to show up there 5 minutes before a show on New Year's Eve Eve (12/30) and we were seated not too far from your fancy reserved seats.

I wondered how Marlee Matlin could be a narrator.  Now I know. Her interpreter is a pretty cool guy, and is a celebrity in his own right.

TCD

Whew! Caught up.

First of all missy. Some of us have to work and I had to have my iPhone, iPad, and computer monitor worked on yesterday. They said they were working just fine but there still making men's red shirts look ORANGE! Lol.

Ok two updates to comment on.

The first update was, well let's just say...I laughed. I cried. It moved me Kelly. What more could I ask for.

You were at Epcot, you ate at my favorite restaurant with an awesome family. There was pood forn, bier. And a great Anna pic. ( I'm weeping rigjt now as I type.).

For all of you who want to how to write a great TR take notes. Kelly nailed it with that update.

Now to clarify something about Kelly and Dave. Yes they are brother and sister. So are me and Missy. Just ask Disney's Memory Maker people. And yes I got the good looks in our family. Lol.

CLP sounds so nice. One day I hope we get to see and hear it. Great tip on having the dinner package. We did it with the Fantasmic show and probably won't see it again without the dinner package.

I'm glad you finally caught up, slacker! 

We're a dysfunctional family. LOL!

You need to see the CLP for sure. I'm surprised y'all haven't. 

Hey- I learned something new!  I didn't know you could get a to-go cup at Biergarten.  I wish I had known that, as I had to chug my bier the last time we were there so we could make it out in time for Illuminations.

You'd be surprised how many guests can still get seated at the Candlelight Processional without the dining package.  We were lucky to show up there 5 minutes before a show on New Year's Eve Eve (12/30) and we were seated not too far from your fancy reserved seats.

I wondered how Marlee Matlin could be a narrator.  Now I know. Her interpreter is a pretty cool guy, and is a celebrity in his own right.

TCD

I didn't know that either. Our pretty waitress offered it. 

I'm sure that many times guests without the package can get in, but this night at the CLP was super busy. Z had to go to the bathroom at one point, so I had to get up just before the show started. I made a point to look around and everyone had the sticker. I'm sure some got in somewhere, but very few. 

Let’s wrap up December 22nd. When we left off, we were about to hop to DHS. Over lunch we’d talked about how we might get there. After talking to DIT and INC, we decided to walk. We knew it was a good ways, but we were OK with that because we’d be able to see the Boardwalk area, and we’d  never seen that. Plus, we had Z’s stroller, and we’d eaten WAY to much at Biergarten, so a walk would do us some good.

We thought the Boardwalk was really cool!

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

I need to try this place.

IMG_1375.jpgBlurry

It wasn’t very crowded though. Maybe it is later?

IMG_1376.jpg

We arrived at DHS. Here’s the tree.

IMG_1378.jpg

This view will look a lot different soon.

IMG_1379.jpg

We had FP+ for RnR, so we headed that way. We have to do rider swap here. Jason rode first and then me.

For some reason the PP photo disappeared on our account, but I don’t really care that much about ride photos. You know what’s funny though? The girl sitting next to me and I did the exact same thing without even talking about it beforehand.

IMG_1382.jpg

From there, we walk towards the Osborne Lights.

I think this guy had too much Christmas cheer.

IMG_1386.jpg

We arrived at the Osborne Lights, and all I can say is WOW!!! They are AMAZING! That’s right Troll, amazing.

IMG_1387.jpg

Blurry, sorry

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

Yes, another selfie

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

A PP photographer was walking through the area to go somewhere else, but took this for us.

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

From there we headed back to the RV. I was ready to settle down, but we had a notice that a package has come. It was the pins that Mo sent! I knew the family was leaving in the morning, so we headed over to deliver them.

I made this note in case they were asleep or not around.

IMG_1424.jpg

But they were around! We got to talk to them for a bit. They’re a great family. Z and their son played a bit, and I got a sneak peak of the little girl’s thank you for the pins.

A2499C99-611F-4581-A1FA-2409284C9A94.jpg

Fiends are great! I know they were reading the pin thread and hope they’ll comment here if they happen to be reading.

From there, we put Z to bed, made a fire, and relaxed.

IMG_1427.jpg

We saw some deer too!

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

After some relaxing, we headed to bed. Tomorrow is going to be a Fort and resort hopping day. I was excited to see decorations and take Jason to `Ohana for the first time!