Surprise, Santa, and a Shiny new AP Holder… A GDF Trip Report

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it’s time for another GDF trip report. This trip started small and ended up much bigger. Originally, I thought Z and I might drive down for a few days before Christmas to see some Disney lights

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.   We weren’t doing

Okay so I'm about half way done with this report.  It's keeping me sane on these hard days of adjustment.  We got home from China about a week and a half ago!  Yay!   Here's the boys at the airport!  

Great update. Can't wait to hear about the mini GG on the porch.

Here it comes! 

Nice update! It is still baffling that a pool is open in December!

Yeah, now I'm back to highs in the 40s. I know weather at Disney can go either way in December. We were very lucky. 

I missed the yeti hopper too. I would not pay that much because we would lose it within a year or so :lol:

My work did give us a soft cooler last year that is really impressive. Its a "polar bear"...it will keep ice for days.

I think I only like the Hopper because I didn't pay for it! 

These photos are gorgeous.

That Elsa gets an F. Looks like the real one called in sick and they had a Minnie Mouse actress fill in for her.

That Anna gets an A, however.

Who the hell was the chick in the stroller? Medieval Lady?

Confused.

Hopefully your little boy never grows up so we continue getting these reports.

A compliment from the Troll! Thank you!

I haven't seen a really great Elsa yet. Anna always looks way better. 

The Medieval lady was part of that group that walks around Fantasyland. I'm not sure what they're official name is, but they walk around and interact with guests. 

Z is at such a fun age, but judging from my husband's behavior, he'll never really grow up. 

Oh, by the way, this is a castle:

IMG_0966.jpg

Suck it, California tree hugger people.

Agreed. 

After getting cleaned up, we headed to Crockett’s Porch for drinks and fun with Fiends.

These were my neighbor’s decorations.

IMG_1001.jpg

They’re still parking bikes where the wagon should be.

IMG_1002.jpg

Frozen cart… it was for sale if you’re in the market.

IMG_1003.jpg

Hey! Look at this fine group of folks!

IMG_1006.jpg

From left to right that’s Timsmith7, tiggerinbama’s husband, LornaDuck, tiggerinbama, Rich, Anna, and Christy (Dave’s better half).

Jason got Anna hugs, and so did I.

IMG_1007.jpg

Jason with some of the crew already pictured.

IMG_1059.jpg

Jason and Dave…. A pair that could get into some trouble together.

IMG_1010.jpg

Missy was there too but missed the photos… did I leave out anyone else?

Of course, there was much running of mouths and a little green death passed around. I could have sat there and chatted all night, but we had a mission. The GaDawgFan family was going to the Lodge. Period. It was going to happen, not like all the times we intend to go and never make it. We were going. And not even Fiends with adult beverages could distract us.

We took the bus from the Settlement and arrived at the Lodge. It’s beautiful! Sorry, but my pictures are bad.

The amazing tree

IMG_1013.jpg

Guess who was meeting in the lobby? Santa Goofy and Pluto! What a great surprise! And the line was pretty short too.

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg

They even had photopass photographers with them. After all, the Lodge is fancy.

After that, we headed to the Territory Lounge for dinner. The plan was to get some appetizers and make that our meal. You’ll get my review in the next update!

We should have gone to the Lodge with you. We went to the Contempo cafe for a quick bite that night and it was very disappointing.

And regarding using the pool in December. We've used it more this trip than any December trip. ..of which we've made 6. It's been in the low 80s a lot of days. ...but today it's in the high 50s. Florida weather in December is pretty unpredictable.

Looks like an awesome gathering!!! I hate that I missed it by just a few hours :(

I hate that too!!! But you are Jason's favorite Fiend after the CR delivery. :) 

We should have gone to the Lodge with you. We went to the Contempo cafe for a quick bite that night and it was very disappointing.

And regarding using the pool in December. We've used it more this trip than any December trip. ..of which we've made 6. It's been in the low 80s a lot of days. ...but today it's in the high 50s. Florida weather in December is pretty unpredictable.

You guys should have, or you should have ordered the turkey and brie! I never did get one of those.

Our weather was amazing. And you're still more than 10 degrees warmer than here.

Great update, Kelly!

Thanks!

Wow... characters at the Lodge!  Awesome!  We've never had that kind of Pixie Dust... guess we need to hang out with you all ;)

Yes, you should, especially because this is the first of 3 character run-ins. :) 

It's funny you had to talk Z into riding the cars. We always try to talk Miley out of it and then ride them anyway. Miley drives the same way. Glad you liked the yeti we like ours mine has been setting in the back of my truck for 5 days now and still has ice in it. Nice report love Z's face when you told him he was going to Disney.

I wish I could have joined y'all on the porch.

I bet Jason and Dave did get into trouble and that's why Daveintn is not writing a TR. Those two just look like trouble. Lol.

Christmas decorations at the lodge are beautiful.

We had a good group on the porch! Jason and Dave behaved for the most part. 

The Lodge was very pretty. We'll be back there on future trips. 

Next year's Christmas card?

I'm pretty sure all of our "family" portraits have Disney characters in them.

Hmmm.... that's a good idea! 

Nice meeting on the Porch.  They do look like Trouble. LOL

It was a lot of fun! 

It's funny you had to talk Z into riding the cars. We always try to talk Miley out of it and then ride them anyway. Miley drives the same way. Glad you liked the yeti we like ours mine has been setting in the back of my truck for 5 days now and still has ice in it. Nice report love Z's face when you told him he was going to Disney.

I have a feeling we'll be riding those cars a lot in the future. 

Z's reaction to the surprise still makes me smile. 

I'm late, but finally caught up! That video of Z is awesome - he was so excited! I love seeing pictures of him - you can tell that he's a happy kid!

Welcome and thanks for joining! Z is a fun kid. :)

Grandma's favorite place at Christmas. One year we were there when they where putting the tree up, that is amazing to watch.

I can't even imagine how it goes in or how many lights it has. 

:waiting2-smiley:  Patiently  waiting for more on this TR!    Schools over, I've done the laundry and it's raining outside so... I need something to read! :)

Here you go!!!! Sorry! 

After meeting Santa Goofy and Pluto, it was time to head to the Territory Lounge. For those who don’t know, the Territory Lounge is the bar/lounge next to Artist Point. Most Fiends and bloggers agree that it’s one of the better lounges on property…. There is one issue though; the menu is always changing, so something you love may not be available on your next visit.

When we arrived, all the tables were full and there were a few people waiting. It only took about 10 minutes to get a table though. It’s important to note that we were there at prime dinner time, so I’m sure some of the people were waiting to be seated at Artist Point.

Here’s what the place looks like.

IMG_1024.jpg

The ceiling above us was pretty cool.

IMG_1023.jpg

Cheese

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

Z was excited to get a light-up cube in his drink.

IMG_1029.jpg

At $3, they’re a pretty cool and fairly inexpensive way to make a meal super cool for a kid… or an adult.

At the recommendation of my pretend boyfriend Josh, we ordered the wings.

IMG_1031.jpg

I think that started about as about a dozen for $9.00, not a terrible value at Disney. They were pretty good too, and I’m picky about my wings. They weren’t as good as my favorite wing joint, but they were better than what’s at most restaurants that don’t specialize in wings.

We also had the parmesan truffle fries.

IMG_1032.jpg

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

We also got the pinot grigio fondue.

IMG_1033.jpg

So good!

IMG_1035.jpg

Z thought it was super fun to dip.

IMG_1037.jpg

The apples were his favorite.

IMG_1039.jpg

The food came to $28… plus we had a couple drinks each. All in all, it wasn’t a very expensive dinner, and we got to our Tables in Wonderland for the first time, so we got 20% off the total. There was one problem though, our waitress was sloooooooooooooooow. I got the impression that she’s not used to waiting on a full house. That presented a bit of a problem though because we had intended to hit rope drop at the Magic Kingdom the next morning. When we still didn’t have our check after 8:00 PM (Z’s non vacation bedtime), we knew that we needed to revise the plan. Thanks to the pixie dust we’d received earlier in the day, that wasn’t that big of a deal. We decided we’d sleep in a bit and hit the MK around 9:00 since we had FPs lined up starting a little later than that. Look, I was spontaneous. Aren’t you proud?

Even with slow service, we enjoyed the Territory Lounge. I have a feeling that service would be much better when they aren’t full. I can see sneaking over here for a quick mini-date when my dad is with us in April.

One more tree picture!

IMG_5504.jpg

A Fort bus was arriving just as we needed it.

IMG_1040.jpg

Pioneer Hall decorations

IMG_1041.jpg

My guys with the Fort Christmas tree

IMG_1044.jpg

Jason decided we needed to do a little decoration looping since we had arrived so late the night before. So, we did.

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Hey look, it’s our site!

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

And our neighbors

IMG_1058.jpg

I know there’s been talk that not as many people decorated this year. Since it was our first Christmas, we didn’t have anything to compare it to and really enjoyed the decorations.

Well, that’s all for our first real day…. We went to the Magic Kingdom, received major pixie dust, swam, met up with a bunch of Fiends, finally visited the Lodge, tried a new restaurant, and did some decoration looping. Awesome day, right? And this trip is really just starting!

We’ll hit the Magic Kingdom on Sunday, December 21st in the next update. It opened for EMH at 7:00 AM, but we’re going to arrive around 9:00. Are we crazy? Probably, but we have a little trick up our sleeves that we learned here on the site. 

Very awesome!! Love the looping pictures!

The Fort is going to feel a bit naked in April. 

We tried the Territory Lounge a few years ago and really liked it. We hung out there for a few hours just visiting with each other and having apps and drinks.

Great Christmas tree and loop pix. Keep it coming.

The Territory Lounge has become a "must do," I think. 

We enjoyed the Lounge too when we went.  Can't remember what we got, but it was good.

Looks like the fixed the tree lights for you.  I'd say you got an little extra pixie dust right there. ;)

We enjoyed it. I wish I could have tried the doughnuts they used to have. They looked good. 

Yes, they fixed the Fort tree! 

LOVE the lights and Christmas decorations... especially the blow-up nativity, too cool.

Did you take the bus from the lodge to the Fort?  We've always taken the boat so I never even considered the bus...does it go directly from one to the other?