Surprise, Santa, and a Shiny new AP Holder… A GDF Trip Report

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it’s time for another GDF trip report. This trip started small and ended up much bigger. Originally, I thought Z and I might drive down for a few days before Christmas to see some Disney lights

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.   We weren’t doing

Okay so I'm about half way done with this report.  It's keeping me sane on these hard days of adjustment.  We got home from China about a week and a half ago!  Yay!   Here's the boys at the airport!  

Don't ever parasail in the Bahamas. We did for our honeymoon and they guys thought it was funny to "dip" people's behinds in the water. Thankfully they didn't do it to us. I would like to do it in Disney but I think when I read the weight it really isn't for 2 normal sized adults.

I got dunked in New Jersey when we went parasailing

. It actually cooked me down nicely and it made my family laugh. I was the only one who they dipped, though.

Pro tip: don't go parasailing 2-3 weeks after hang gliding. It ended up being boring. :P

Did Z take his nap in the hammock?

The Contemporary used to have a gingerbread tree.  Is it another Frozen casualty?

We had a little discussion about the old Gingerbread tree in this thread, with a photo provided by DIT:

The CR gingerbread house was flat when we saw it in 2011 too. It's still not impressive...but at least the Frozen makeover didn't hurt it too much. What's interesting is that they still used the same background, only now it's plain white while it used to be colorful. As I think it is supposed to be a Mary Blair design....it used to look much more "small world-ish" than it does now that's it's white.

ETA: i've gone back and read the sign posted at the house in your pics....they do acknowledge the Mary Blair connection. But they've certainly "white washed" it. LOL.

P1020466.JPG

I never thought the gingerbread Christmas tree was very impressive.

This Frozen one isn't either.

Meh.

Don't ever parasail in the Bahamas. We did for our honeymoon and they guys thought it was funny to "dip" people's behinds in the water. Thankfully they didn't do it to us. I would like to do it in Disney but I think when I read the weight it really isn't for 2 normal sized adults.

Agreed about the Bahamas.

As far as I have seen there are no safety regulations in the Bahamas. Any couple of guys who can scavenge a boat, some rope and a parachute can have a go at it.

TCD

The Contemporary used to have a gingerbread tree.  Is it another Frozen casualty?

I suppose so. 

Beautiful cruise picks. I love those little boats.

Your funny. Parasailing looks like a lot of fun. I like how you got that parasailor in the background of that pic of Jason and Z.

Resort hopping is cool. Especially at Christmas.

It was great to have our own little cruise. Very relaxing. 

It would take a LOT of money to make me go parasailing. I'm terrified of it. 

I really enjoy resort hopping. 

I won't even do it in the US. No way would I do it out of the country! 

^This!

We left on the 25th.

mmmm....bacon.

Ah, I'm sorry I didn't see you. Hope your issue worked out. Mine did. 

BACON!

I got dunked in New Jersey when we went parasailing . It actually cooked me down nicely and it made my family laugh. I was the only one who they dipped, though. Pro tip: don't go parasailing 2-3 weeks after hang gliding. It ended up being boring. :P

Hand gliding? Does Soarin count? 

Did Z take his nap in the hammock?

We had a little discussion about the old Gingerbread tree in this thread, with a photo provided by DIT:

I never thought the gingerbread Christmas tree was very impressive.

This Frozen one isn't either.

Meh.

Agreed about the Bahamas.

As far as I have seen there are no safety regulations in the Bahamas. Any couple of guys who can scavenge a boat, some rope and a parachute can have a go at it.

TCD

Z napped inside. I don't remember, but I'm willing to bet Jason or myself rested in the hammock. 

I agree about the Frozen gingerbread and the tree. Neither are very impressive. 

It's like they know nothing will compare to the gingerbread house at the GF so they don't even try.

Yep!!! Ha ha! 

We arrived at the Poly and checked into `Ohana. Because of the construction, there is not currently a photo opportunity at `Ohana. No big deal.

The new lights in the lobby are cool.

IMG_1503.jpg

I’ll have more pictures of the new lobby in a bit, but I’ll go on record as saying that while I miss the waterfall, they did a good job. I like the new look.

At this point, I remembered I forgot my TIW card. Yep, I’m a newbie with that. `Ohana was blocked out for the week, but it would have been nice to get a discount on drinks. I asked the bartender if there was a way to pull it up on my MB. Nope. I figured that. Oh well.

I ordered a Lapu Lapu, but then I saw a chocolate martini as I said that. I quickly changed my order to the chocolate martini because I’ve been wanting to try it. Jason ordered a beer.

The place was pretty busy, and the bartender was waiting on several people at a time. She came back with a Lapu Lapu. I reminded her I switched to the chocolate martini, and she said I was right; I had. The Lapu Lapu was on the house, and she’d bring me the martini. Wow, that’s better than a TIW discount! And it’s a good thing I hadn’t had anything else to drink at this point.

Drink and drink in waiting

IMG_1481.jpg

I’m not a big martini person, but I love chocolate. It was good and would make a nice dessert.

She got a nice tip.

IMG_1483.jpg

We were shown to our table, right at the window. The picture is awful, but we could see the castle dream lights from here.

IMG_1485.jpg

What a great view!

Soon, the food started coming out. They wanted to give us lettuce wraps. I thought they discontinued those. I asked if we could have the salad instead. The answer was yes!

IMG_1484.jpg

I love that salad. I have to try not to eat too much of it.

More food! Z dove right into the wings.

IMG_1486.jpg

I love the noodles and broccoli.

IMG_1488.jpg

Shrimp, pork, and steak! Ahhh… sorry this is partially eaten. I was excited!

IMG_1491.jpg

I believe it was Ray who suggested we request our steak done medium when I said I thought they overcook their steak. Thanks for the tip! Sooooooooooo much better when it’s not well done.

IMG_1495.jpg

The singer started coming around.

IMG_1493.jpg

This boy loves `Ohana!

IMG_1494.jpg

At some point, I finally made it to this.

IMG_1496.jpg

Then it was time for some hula.

IMG_1502.jpg

Sorry, that’s all you get of that, no real dancing pics.

I made sure to save room for this! So good!

IMG_1499.jpg

And with that, our meal was over. As predicted, Jason LOVED it, and we will be returning in April. As we were exiting, I looked down into the lobby at the Christmas tree and saw some characters.

IMG_1504.jpg

Lilo and Stitch were greeting, so we headed down.

There was a bit of a line, but it was moving fairly quickly.

IMG_1505.jpg

Another shot of the cool lights

IMG_1506.jpg

I asked Stitch if he was going to be on the good list, and he assured me NO WAY.

Even if he has bad behavior, Z loves him.

IMG_1509.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneys_Polynesian_Vi

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneys_Polynesian_Vi

IMG_1510.jpg

Then we headed to the monorail. Z was all sugared up and in a great mood from his nap, so we decided to head to the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house and decorations.

One last lobby shot

IMG_1516.jpg

We’ll head to the Grand in the next update. 

A free Lapu Lapu and 'Ohana!

Awesome!

But where are the potstickers?

TCD

Yes, free! That was pretty awesome. I kind of wonder if she did it on purpose because she felt bad I left my TIW card behind. Maybe not though.

There are potstickers in the bowl with the wings. Some of them might be missing though! LOL

We must try 'Ohana some time.  The food looks so good!

Isn't `Ohana a low-carber's dream? I can't believe you guys have never been! 

Okay... make you a deal.  As soon as you try parasailing, I'll jump on a ski boat :)

Gingerbread house... now I want gingerbread.  I'm hungry.

The food at Ohana's looked good.  Now I'm really hungry.

Love to resort hop....the Christmas decorations were beautiful.  That boy on the golf cart is frustrating.  

Awesome update! 

I love 'Ohana and I love resort hopping!

I could really go for some of those 'Ohana wings and shrimp right now!

We arrived at the Poly and checked into `Ohana. Because of the construction, there is not currently a photo opportunity at `Ohana. No big deal.

About this picture, I thought they only did the photo opps for breakfast?  We've never done one for dinner in all the times we went.

WBI

Okay... make you a deal.  As soon as you try parasailing, I'll jump on a ski boat :)

Gingerbread house... now I want gingerbread.  I'm hungry.

The food at Ohana's looked good.  Now I'm really hungry.

Love to resort hop....the Christmas decorations were beautiful.  That boy on the golf cart is frustrating.  

I don't have a ski boat; I have a pontoon. You're going to love it! 

I tried the gingerbread. It was much better than what the grocery store sells. 

`Ohana rocks! 12 year olds driving don't. 

Finally caught up, great update,  I now want Bacon, scrambled eggs, cornbread, and a Lapu Lapu to go with it!  

Ohhhhhhhhhhh..... me to!

It's very very close (ok, not at all- though I do love Soarin')

Me:

http://youtu.be/eafDCV0s1aw

My wife:

http://youtu.be/YStOS3c7XfA

NO WAY. 

No, because of the sweet/starchy glazes they put on everything.

Ah, that makes sense. I bet they can leave it off. My mom asks for the shrimp without seasoning because she thinks it's too spicy. 

Free drink!!!

Winning!!

O'Hana my second favorite restaurant. Yummy.

Quick question. Do all the deluxe resorts have characters.

Yes, winning! As far as I know, all the resorts get characters. I think the special thing about the deluxe is that they have photopass photographers with them. 

Awesome update! 

I love 'Ohana and I love resort hopping!

I could really go for some of those 'Ohana wings and shrimp right now!

About this picture, I thought they only did the photo opps for breakfast?  We've never done one for dinner in all the times we went.

WBI

Yum, me too!

You might be right about the photo opp only being breakfast. We've done both, and I'm not sure when I've seen it. However, I asked Devores after there wasn't one, and he said they're not doing photos there during construction. So either way, no pics at `Ohana for a bit. 

Let’s visit the Grand Floridian! All I have to say about their tree is WOW!

IMG_1518.jpg

They didn’t have carolers this night, but they did have a full band playing.

IMG_1519.jpg

That was pretty cool!

Another tree shot

IMG_1524.jpg

Two cute boys

IMG_1526.jpg

And the gingerbread house is just amazing.

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Lots of details

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

Inside

IMG_1529.jpg

Of course Z wanted a shingle. I don’t know how he ate it because he shoveled food at `Ohana, but I guess when there’s a will, there’s a way.

Happy boy!

IMG_1535.jpg

I tried it, and it was really good.

Love this shot

IMG_1536.jpg

Afterwards we went to the bath shop, and I got some of their bath bombs. They’re awesome. Highly recommended.

That’s all for now! We’ll head back the Contemporary, run into another character, and loop before bed.

Finally caught up!

We love the Boardwalk and it has never been too busy when we have been there during the winter months. It's a fun place to just stroll around and get drinks, snacks, etc.

We have had Ohana breakfast but never dinner. That needs to be rectified sometime.

The pics of Z watching the glass blower were awesome. I like when the kids show interest in things other than the major attractions.

Anna getting American fries in Germany is awesome!

I wish Dave would cone back from his hiatus and give us a trip report!

Finally caught up!

We love the Boardwalk and it has never been too busy when we have been there during the winter months. It's a fun place to just stroll around and get drinks, snacks, etc.

We have had Ohana breakfast but never dinner. That needs to be rectified sometime.

The pics of Z watching the glass blower were awesome. I like when the kids show interest in things other than the major attractions.

Anna getting American fries in Germany is awesome!

I wish Dave would cone back from his hiatus and give us a trip report!

Yes, you need to do dinner at Ohana. It's a must.

I miss Dave too. I do have the cutest EVER from the last night. Maybe that will draw him back.

Oh man, the GF tree was a sight to behold!  This year was the first time I have ever stepped foot in the GF.  Which bath bomb did you get??  I was very tempted. The whole place smelled wonderful.

Oh, and yes.  Our ornament incident turned out fine.  I hate that I didn't get to see you guys again. 

Oh man, the GF tree was a sight to behold!  This year was the first time I have ever stepped foot in the GF.  Which bath bomb did you get??  I was very tempted. The whole place smelled wonderful.

Oh, and yes.  Our ornament incident turned out fine.  I hate that I didn't get to see you guys again. 

It sure was! I'm not sure what fragrance I got. It has little Mickey heads in it that dissolve too. They smell great and make my skin feel so soft. I'll definitely be getting more in April and might order some online. http://www.basinwhite.com/large-bath-bombs/

Glad your ornament turned out OK! 

It’s time to finish up December 23rd. We arrived at the Contemporary docks, and Peter Pan was there waiting on a dessert cruise to come back. No pictures because the CM was very protective of the private event, but Z got to say hi and thought it was really cool.

We saw Lou’s favorite during the ride back to the Fort.

IMG_1541.jpg

We did a little looping when we got back.

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

This is the site on the 1600 loop that you walk through.

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

I can’t imagine how long it took to set all that up or how they got it there.

This site had a tree farm set up with real Christmas trees. Cute idea

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

Ken and Judy’s site

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

That’s all for the 23rd. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve! We’re not going to a park… it’s another Fort day! 

The Bahamas is where I went parasailing. It was so much fun.

So, Jason really seems to be liking everything you thought he would. Does this mean along with a trip at Halloween you will be back again this year for Christmas?

Jason loved it. We really want to go back for Christmas, but my mom is taking us on a cruise for Thanksgiving. I'm not sure Jason could take off work for both. BUT, I do have a reservation just in case. So maybe!!!