The Trip, Trip, Trip Report

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Monday and Tuesday were fairly similar in that we spent the days working on the project that El Hogar had planned for us – moving cinder blocks across campus and then using them to construct a wall wh

Wednesday:   Thankfully, I slept a little later than usual at home, and Ray slept a lot later than me, so we both woke up feeling refreshed despite our long travel and Epcot day yesterday.  We debated

Sunday – our last day!    I woke up on our last morning in enough time for one last run around SSR.  I had fun finding a Hidden Mickey in this here fountain:         It was yet another beautiful day

Oh my gosh... cracking up as I was reading the last update.  Love you!  Your pictures were great.  "Burst" photos?  Yeah, I have no idea...but all the pics were great!!  Love, love, LOVE the final picture of you two... that one is simply beautiful.

What a special trip :)

Hooray!  A lklasing TR! x3!

This one sounds like a winner already.

Jodi and Susan:

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneys_Animal_Kingdo

Susan's sweatshirt if from my second favorite place on earth to eat a meal.

Have y'all ever been to Seagrove Beach?  Susan's shirt is from a place called the Seagrove Market Café.  Ask her about it.  And then you need to go.  Get the Oyster and Shrimp Po Boy (or the seafood platter) (or the chicken fingers) (or a cheeseburger).  Ah man, now I'm hungry.

TCD

What a great start to your trip!

Thanks!  It was a great trip, beginning to end!

WOW looks like you are having a GREAT time!!!!!!!!!!! Treasure it.

We really did have a great time, and now that Danielle is so far away so much of the time, I really did treasure every moment.

I just love the joy in your daughter's face! You guys look like you would be a LOT of fun to hang out with. 

Thanks!  We think we're lots of fun!   :rofl:

Thanks for the Port Orleans Riverside pictures! We're going there in 2 weeks and a day!

And how much fun are you two?! These pictures were a HOOT!

Oh my gosh - you're going to love POR!  Please take lots of pics and do a report when you get back!  I think they have several different room configurations there so it would be interesting to see what you end up in.  If you want any particular area or any other room request, I heard that they still pay attention to requests that are faxed in 4-5 days in advance.  That's where I messed up - I waited until 3 (or maybe even 2) days before arriving to remember to do that, and we were pretty far away.

Regardless of where your room is, I predict that you'll love the resort!

Oh my gosh... cracking up as I was reading the last update.  Love you!  Your pictures were great.  "Burst" photos?  Yeah, I have no idea...but all the pics were great!!  Love, love, LOVE the final picture of you two... that one is simply beautiful.

What a special trip :)

Try the burst sometime!  Apparently all you do (at least on an iPhone) is hold down the shutter button thing instead of just pushing and letting it go.  It takes dozens of pictures in rapid succession, resulting in some pretty funny stuff sometimes.   :lol:

Hooray!  A lklasing TR! x3!

This one sounds like a winner already.

Susan's sweatshirt if from my second favorite place on earth to eat a meal.

Have y'all ever been to Seagrove Beach?  Susan's shirt is from a place called the Seagrove Market Café.  Ask her about it.  And then you need to go.  Get the Oyster and Shrimp Po Boy (or the seafood platter) (or the chicken fingers) (or a cheeseburger).  Ah man, now I'm hungry.

TCD

That's funny about Seagrove Beach!  I've been to that area lots of times, though I don't remember going to the cafe in particular.  My best friend/Danielle's Godmother has a place down there in that area.  Next time I go, I'll have to go get the po boy!  And yes, you got me hungry too!

BTW, what's your favorite place on earth for a meal?

El Hogar is a wonderful place!  Where was your cousin?  And I hope the sickness was just temporary!

I had to ask another cousin, but here's what I got:

"OK, she worked at WGO OIN in Tegucigalpa

And outside if Teg at Proyecto Alcanse and Little Red Bil School

Also at the Catholic orphanage in Octopeque

What I didn't realize is that she went down there on her own.  With no organization backing her"

I know that "WGO" is a group that she was working with for a while. I'm not sure what "OIN" means. :)

And she's OK - health issues have had tabled her missionary work which is sad, she wanted to do much more.

Great start to your trip, trip, trips!

Thanks!!

My favorite meal on earth:  A Giddyap and Go on the side porch of Trail's End.

I am not kidding.

TCD

Geez.  I can't believe I didn't get that without asking.   :wacko:

I had to ask another cousin, but here's what I got:

"OK, she worked at WGO OIN in Tegucigalpa

And outside if Teg at Proyecto Alcanse and Little Red Bil School

Also at the Catholic orphanage in Octopeque

What I didn't realize is that she went down there on her own.  With no organization backing her"

I know that "WGO" is a group that she was working with for a while. I'm not sure what "OIN" means. :)

And she's OK - health issues have had tabled her missionary work which is sad, she wanted to do much more.

Wow - to do that by herself is really something.  From what I hear, Tegucigalpa can be very dangerous if you're not exceptionally careful or in a safe area.  I'm so glad that she's okay now but I hate that her health issues cut her mission work short.  Danielle is still trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life but mission work is calling her hard.

Friday

Of course I woke up before the teenager, so I walked over and grabbed breakfast from the Riverside Mill CS.  I found out the hard way that while a few of the grab and go areas open at 6:00 a.m., the good stuff isn’t available till 7:00.  Nevertheless, I managed to get some pancakes for Danielle and of course a Mickey waffle for me once everything opened.  I noticed that they had Mickey waffles that were much bigger than the usual standard size I’ve ever seen in the restaurants before.  I brought Princess Danielle her breakfast in bed, which seemed to be the best way to get her moving much earlier than her internal clock might otherwise get her up.  (By the way, she stole my Mickey waffle so I was relegated to pancakes, but I made up for the lack of the waffle many times over later in the trip.)

Sunrise over the pool:

IMG_4842_zps5554442a.jpg

We were both excited to get to ride one of the (relatively) new double buses.  Danielle was particularly impressed watching the workings of the joint on curves:

IMG_4855_zpse7252629.jpg

After an exciting bus ride, we made it to the MK a little before 9:00.  The park was already lively as it had been open since 8:00 but it really wasn’t too crowded for a while yet.

First thing we did after arriving was grab some extra FPs with old MBs, which happily worked perfectly again.  We then rode HM which was fun as I somehow haven’t been on that for the past couple of trips.  After HM, I got to introduce Danielle to some fiend friends who happened to be in the MK that day – the DIT family!  We rode Space with Dave and 3 of his girls, and then hooked up with Mrs. DIT and the two younger girls in enough time to all meet Merida together.  Everyone in the DIT family looked like they had had a great long vacation and it was great to get to see them.  I’m hoping to get to see them again at the DeSoto GG in the spring!

cf2425a5-23b7-413d-b7c6-b81172b8f7e3_zps

IMG_4858_zps0e9807b1.jpg

IMG_4863_zpscamfvglu.jpg

IMG_4865_zps5cef1c77.jpg

After Merida, we parted ways with the DIT gang.  The crowds were in full swing by now, so did we did Buzz on FPs followed by Monsters Inc., and then set off in search of chicken fingers for my newly-not-a-vegetarian-anymore-daughter.  We found out the hard way that Casey’s Corner doesn’t have chicken and Danielle isn’t up to hot dogs yet, so we headed back to Tomorrowland Terrace.  It was surprisingly good, especially my beef and blue cheese salad.  After lunch, we were allowed to take the back way behind the stores toward the entrance to avoid the parade crowds.   It’s not very scenic back there, but at least you get to avoid most of the parade crush.

MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_7144727863_zpsklzlh

My all-time favorite picture of Danielle and me:

462985a0-5f75-49f6-949f-80ad61e319ef_zps

Sorry for the short update.  I'll have the rest of Friday soon!

Still great pictures, love the Anna hug your daughter got, it looked like a GOOD hug, also the two of you together makes for really wonderful pictures you both look like your having a blast.

Wait!

Did I read that right? Are you coming to the Desoto GG?

Ack!  No, sadly.  :(  I started working on this TR before the final dates were firmed up for DeSoto, and then forgot to revise that part out.  I'll definitely be in Honduras that weekend.  But, I'll be wanting to hear all about the fun and I'll definitely try again next time!

It may be short, but it's still a great update!

Thanks!!

Still great pictures, love the Anna hug your daughter got, it looked like a GOOD hug, also the two of you together makes for really wonderful pictures you both look like your having a blast.

Thanks, Rennie!  You're right - whenever Anna is around, there are lots of great hugs!  And yes, we were really having a great time!

That's awesome that you met up with the DIT gang.

And, I just realized something.  I misread this part of your report to mean that trip #2 had just started:

We're actually leaving WDW on trip #2 tomorrow  :(  so I've got to finish packing up, but I'll have the next installment up tomorrow.

But, you were heading back from WDW on 2/1?

The TCD gang was around WDW on 1/30 and 1/31!

I may have run into a couple of those women you say you met at the Fort.

TCD

Our room was in the Acadian House, on the back side of one of the mansion area buildings.  It definitely was not one of the more conveniently located units. 

IMG_4662_zps7d0830cd.jpg

But, we got used to the walk and it really wasn’t too far.  I'd be interested in figuring out which loop it would equate to if you were at FW and walking to Pioneer Hall.  But, that requires time and technology, and I haven’t really tried hard enough to do that yet. 

I always wonder about distances too.

So, I checked this out for you.

From the far corner of those buildings to the front door of the POR food court is .31 miles:

POR%20distance_zpsko7rhqdb.jpg

That's the equivalent of walking from the entrances of the 300/500 loops at the Fort to Pioneer Hall:

300%20to%20PH_zpsvczai4pu.jpg

Which is equivalent to walking from the boat dock at the MK to the entrance of Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (Space Mountain would be much farther) :

dock%20to%20SM_zpsbiiuctgd.jpg

And, just for giggles, that is also the same distance from the Little Mermaid buildings to the food court at the Art of Animation Resort:

LM%20to%20front%20AOA_zpsl0rustyv.jpg

TCD

That's awesome that you met up with the DIT gang.

And, I just realized something.  I misread this part of your report to mean that trip #2 had just started:

But, you were heading back from WDW on 2/1?

The TCD gang was around WDW on 1/30 and 1/31!

I may have run into a couple of those women you say you met at the Fort.

TCD

I still can't believe I missed y'all!  But I'm glad you ran into some fun women too!  :)

Pictures with Anna always make me smile :)

And, once again, the final picture of you and your daughter.... just beautiful.

Thanks!  It's my favorite picture of us.  Gotta get it framed.  :)

I always wonder about distances too.

So, I checked this out for you.

From the far corner of those buildings to the front door of the POR food court is .31 miles:

POR%20distance_zpsko7rhqdb.jpg

That's the equivalent of walking from the entrances of the 300/500 loops at the Fort to Pioneer Hall:

300%20to%20PH_zpsvczai4pu.jpg

Which is equivalent to walking from the boat dock at the MK to the entrance of Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (Space Mountain would be much farther) :

dock%20to%20SM_zpsbiiuctgd.jpg

And, just for giggles, that is also the same distance from the Little Mermaid buildings to the food court at the Art of Animation Resort:

LM%20to%20front%20AOA_zpsl0rustyv.jpg

TCD

You rock!  I was hoping someone would figure that out for me!  I swear, it seemed longer than those distances, but that might be because I refuse to call a bellman and lugged my way too heavy suitcase back up to the front when we checked out.  

A short update, but an awesome one! Anna hugs are the best! And I love the picture of you and your daughter. 

Thanks, Kelly!!

After a trip to the confectionary for my daughter, who rivals Elf in her love for sweets, we made it back to POR in time to relax for a little bit and then wait for the next big event – the arrival of Megan!  Megan is Danielle’s very best friend in college, big sister in sorority and roommate for next semester, so she and Danielle are very tight.  There was much rejoicing when she arrived.

First, for old times sake, some faux photopass shots:

IMG_4881_zpsb2ae674a.jpg

IMG_4882_zps4b0a9bf6.jpg

IMG_4883_zpsa1ea56f1.jpg

IMG_4884_zps3b81023a.jpg

I loved getting housekeeping every day while we were at POR, since we never get that when we book through DVC:

IMG_4887_zps5c0d0f3e.jpg

IMG_4888_zpsc4136299.jpg

We had perfect weather almost the whole trip:

IMG_4892_zpsb4a2f4a8.jpg

I think we were just waiting on Megan here:

IMG_4886_zpsa3293f9e.jpg

She made it!

IMG_4894_zps7c0b8c2b.jpg

Not surprisingly after flying in from Denver, Megan was hungry, so we grabbed her some lunch from Riverside Mills and after dropping her stuff in the room, headed off to Epcot.  Danielle wanted to make sure that Megan got to ride the monorail, so we went the very, very long way – bus to MK, monorail to TTC and second monorail to Epcot.  Amazingly after that long trip, we still got there in time to catch all our FPs – Character Depot, Soarin’ and M:S, plus a couple extra attractions – Nemo and Turtle Talk.  Megan had actually been on Soarin’ before in California, but she was very young, and everything else was new to her.

I should have gotten some ears:

EPCOT_ECENTR2_7145221791_zps4sdvue6s.jpe

EPCOT_BACKSIDE2_7145461483_zps1i7zm8hk.j

EPCOT_BACKSIDE2_7145461480_zpsa4rmumna.j

EPCOT_BACKSIDE2_7145461479_zps2ab8xgfa.j

Proving you’re never too old for character meet and greets:

IMG_4908_zpsdf40d79a.jpg

IMG_4909_zps0aabba45.jpg

IMG_4911_zps49b9fee6.jpg

IMG_4912_zps1901215b.jpg

IMG_4915_zps4074c6c1.jpg

IMG_4924_zpsd010a85c.jpg

IMG_4927_zps90727729.jpg

IMG_5091_zpsb899d563.jpg

Danielle insisted on Megan trying Beverly:

IMG_4930_zps70aa1ae0.jpg

IMG_4931_zps3fe4bc10.jpg

IMG_4932_zps56e7b364.jpg

These don’t fit as well as they did a few years ago:

IMG_4950_zps3184d31d.jpg

After M:S, we headed out through the International Gateway and walked to the Boardwalk, where we had dinner at Trattoria al Forno, the new Italian restaurant that opened up where Kouzzina used to be.  I had been disappointed when Kouzzina closed as I really enjoyed it, but this place was good too.  The girls got pizzas and I got the risotto, which was very yummy. 

IMG_4963_zps89005f61.jpg

IMG_4965_zpsf289ade6.jpg

After dinner, we just cabbed it back home.  There was no way we were up to transferring somewhere to go from resort to resort.  We all crashed after a really great day. 

Next up:  Exactly how many times can you go on EE one morning on a holiday weekend?

You rock!  I was hoping someone would figure that out for me!  I swear, it seemed longer than those distances, but that might be because I refuse to call a bellman and lugged my way too heavy suitcase back up to the front when we checked out.  

Distances can be a funny thing.  It's the same distance from the 2700/2800 cabin loop bus stop to the Outpost Depot at the Fort, but how many people do you ever see making that walk?:

2700%20to%20outpost_zpsnjpcphdk.jpg

It's kind of funny to me that people who think nothing of walking from the park entrance to Space Mountain will sit and wait for a bus to take them a much shorter distance.

That said, .31 miles is a long way to be lugging suitcases.

Respect points to you and Danielle for making Megan try the Beverly!

TCD

OK, you're in trouble. You ate at Trattoria, and no pictures?

I know.  Especially given the awesome risotto I had.  I really thought about taking Ray back there on Trip #2 but we ran out of time.  But we'll definitely go again.  

Exactly! No Pictures Of The Food!

Yup - my bad.  I do a little better on Trip #2, though.  

Distances can be a funny thing.  It's the same distance from the 2700/2800 cabin loop bus stop to the Outpost Depot at the Fort, but how many people do you ever see making that walk?:

2700%20to%20outpost_zpsnjpcphdk.jpg

It's kind of funny to me that people who think nothing of walking from the park entrance to Space Mountain will sit and wait for a bus to take them a much shorter distance.

That said, .31 miles is a long way to be lugging suitcases.

Respect points to you and Danielle for making Megan try the Beverly!

TCD

I think it was the suitcase that was the tipping point for me.  It seemed forever to get to the front with it.  Interesting that it's the same .31 miles from 2700/2800 to the Outpost.  And you're right, when we were in a cabin in 2700 a few years ago, we walked to the Outpost exactly zero times.

Whew! Caught up.

Meeting up with DIT gang awesome!

Anna hugs rock!

I too love the mother/daughter pix. Twinsies!!!

Love the pix in front of the giant golf ball.

But what did you mean by "I should have gotten ears"? You had them on your shirt. Lol.

Ha!  That shirt is so old and was so cheap to begin with (Old Navy, I think), but I have always loved it.  You'll be seeing it again before this report is over.  Maybe a few times.  

Saturday morning – This morning, we skipped breakfast at POR as we had ADRs at Tusker House for 8:35.  I had planned for us to just go straight to breakfast but we got moving in enough time that we decided a ride on EE might be possible beforehand, so off we went.  We got to AK right at 8:00 which was opening time that day, so we went straight to EE and managed to get 2 back-to-back rides in on standby before breakfast.  There was no wait at all – just the amount of time it took us to walk back to get on.  Note to self – EE is a lot more pleasant when I haven’t just eaten lunch and beignets right before riding.

IMG_4970_zpsc3471c8f.jpg

IMG_4974_zps7e6e54ca.jpg

Side note – have y’all seen these photopass videos?  I think they’re adorable!  (They’re probably old news to everyone – I’m always late to parties like cool videos.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjSfudhmTZo&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBtoQbHDWZQ&feature=youtu.be

On the way to breakfast, we stopped at a FP+ guy and used FP hack to get 3 more on our old bands.  I’m sure at some point, Disney will close that loophole in the FP+ system, but I’m going to enjoy it until they do.  :)

Breakfast at Tusker House was very good and fun.  The only other time we were there, it was much more crowded and took forever for the characters to make the rounds, with the end result being that we left before meeting even a single one.  This time was different, thankfully.  We got to see everyone, and we all got to eat lots of Mickey waffles.

AK_TUSKER2_7145731092_zpstevplfxl.jpeg

AK_TUSKER2_7145731095_zps8sshxujl.jpeg

AK_TUSKER2_7145731091_zpstjtpcgys.jpeg

IMG_4977_zps3447b01d.jpg

IMG_4979_zps71382779.jpg

IMG_4984_zps88e05270.jpg

IMG_4986_zpsd598145b.jpg

IMG_4995_zps538cfe4a.jpg

After breakfast, we went on Safari, which seemed like a really good one this time.  It seemed to last longer and the animals were plentiful.  I’m guessing the drivers perhaps take their time more when there isn’t a big line, and the crowds still hadn’t arrived yet that morning.

Rhino:

IMG_4997_zpsb1eeb237.jpg

IMG_5002_zpsb2daa79a.jpg

Double rhino:

IMG_5006_zps0ceea757.jpg

AK_TREEBACK_7145799557_zpskhrybfsx.jpeg

Next, we met Minnie and Mickey who were still dressed up for Christmas and very cute and fun.

AK_ADVOUTPOSTB1CHARACTER_7145808414_zps6

Next up was Dinosaur, which we had FPs for but definitely didn’t need.  Both sides were empty walking through.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard so much screaming out of two college girls.   (Actually, I think they screamed that much on M:S the night before also.  Those two sure seem to enjoy getting scared.)

IMG_5012_zpsdb88555e.jpg

IMG_5014_zpsa0cd673f.jpg

AK_DINOSAURRIDE_7145840253_zpsp9zh1f3h.j