The Trip, Trip, Trip Report

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Monday and Tuesday were fairly similar in that we spent the days working on the project that El Hogar had planned for us – moving cinder blocks across campus and then using them to construct a wall wh

Wednesday:   Thankfully, I slept a little later than usual at home, and Ray slept a lot later than me, so we both woke up feeling refreshed despite our long travel and Epcot day yesterday.  We debated

Sunday – our last day!    I woke up on our last morning in enough time for one last run around SSR.  I had fun finding a Hidden Mickey in this here fountain:         It was yet another beautiful day

Leslie,  I have been quietly reading along when I have had the chance...  but I must say that you and your family are the most photogenic family I have ever seen...  I could easily turn on the TV at Disney and see your family on one of the DVC channels...

Great trip report!

All caught up. Others have said it but I have to repeat it. Y'all always look like having a blast! Those are some awesome of photos of y'all and the scenery.

I lol about the girls getting confused about the line for Ariel's Grotto and the Little Mermaid ride. DD and I did the same thing this last trip.

We have ridden the Little Mermaid ride over a dozen times but it's always been thru the FP return line. But this trip we didn't have a FP+ so we got in line and about half way thru we realized we were in the wrong line.

Resort days by the pool are so MSBCR. They definitely don't SMB.

I don't know why it tickles me when you mention "Ray". Maybe because we have the same name and I wish we were there with y'all.

Page 7 bragging rights!  LOL  OK, at least I got in before the end of Trip #2.  8)

Really great TR... so many awesome photos of so many happy (and rhino) faces!!  Love hearing about BlueZoo as it's been on my list of things to do for a while.  Maybe we'll squeeze it in this year.

Hey guys!  I'm so sorry I've been so negligent in dragging this report out so badly!  I figured I better wrap up this portion before leaving for the last trip of this triple trip report.  So, if you're still here, thanks!!

The older I get the more I appreciate resort days. The resorts are beautiful and have a lot to offer, glad you could take advantage of SSR.

Exactly!  That's one great thing about WDW - I have yet to go to a resort that wasn't worth being at, just for the sake of being there.

I've never been to SSR but it looks like a nice place to spend the day.

And the sushi looks good!

What is the dessert?

The dessert was awesome.  I don't remember what it was, but I do remember that it had nutella and obviously lots of chocolate.  And I ate every.single.bite.

Said it before... but it looks like you all had such a great trip.  Thanks for sharing!! Loved all the pics in this TR :)

Thanks!  It was truly awesome.

Leslie,  I have been quietly reading along when I have had the chance...  but I must say that you and your family are the most photogenic family I have ever seen...  I could easily turn on the TV at Disney and see your family on one of the DVC channels...

Great trip report!

Thanks, Duane!  That's so sweet!  I think we look better at WDW than anywhere else as we're always smiling! 

All caught up. Others have said it but I have to repeat it. Y'all always look like having a blast! Those are some awesome of photos of y'all and the scenery.
I lol about the girls getting confused about the line for Ariel's Grotto and the Little Mermaid ride. DD and I did the same thing this last trip.
We have ridden the Little Mermaid ride over a dozen times but it's always been thru the FP return line. But this trip we didn't have a FP+ so we got in line and about half way thru we realized we were in the wrong line.

Resort days by the pool are so MSBCR. They definitely don't SMB.

I don't know why it tickles me when you mention "Ray". Maybe because we have the same name and I wish we were there with y'all.

Ha!  We should all meet up together sometime and see who all we can confuse with y'all's name!  Grand gathering sometime??

We love resort days! Unless it's a super quick trip, we usually plan at least 2. It's nice to relax, something we get to do rarely at home. 

This was my first trip to have an actual resort day.  Ray has been a proponent for several trips but I finally gave in this time.  I don't think I can go back to a trip without a day off now!

Page 7 bragging rights!  LOL  OK, at least I got in before the end of Trip #2.  B)

Really great TR... so many awesome photos of so many happy (and rhino) faces!!  Love hearing about BlueZoo as it's been on my list of things to do for a while.  Maybe we'll squeeze it in this year.

Glad you're here!  You definitely need to try Bluezoo!  It's definitely worth the trip!!

Ray's flatbread looks delicious!  Wonder if they could make it without bread ...

Hmmmm.  Don't know about that.  I try to not eat too much bread at home, but justify it at CG as they say they are made with wheat flour.  I'm sure it's not real whole wheat, but they're too good to not get sometimes.

Caught up and ready for more! :D

Thanks, Marty!  It's coming up now!

Sunday – our last day!  :(

I woke up on our last morning in enough time for one last run around SSR.  I had fun finding a Hidden Mickey in this here fountain:

IMG_5930_zpsvd2cxs11.jpg

IMG_5929_zpsoimkpgvy.jpg

It was yet another beautiful day.  Why can’t they all be like this at home?

IMG_5931_zps6iegwlqb.jpg

IMG_5932_zpsvnatujw1.jpg

We all finished packing up and toted our bags to the airline check in, and then hopped a bus to the MK.  We had ADRs at Chef Mickeys that I had scored at the last minute.  But first we had time for a quick run into the MK for a ride on BTMRR.

MK_BIGTHUNDERMTN_7176103508_zpsfpvbzkn5.

I have no idea what is happening here:

MK_BIGTHUNDERMTN_7176103510_zpswyrhyche.

Chef Mickeys was exactly as it always is, which was just right for a departure day last breakfast.  The girls wound up leaving before Ray and I were ready to as they wanted to hit the MK for their last hurrah.  Ray and I just headed back to the SSR pool after breakfast to enjoy the sun and relaxation before getting picked up to head back home.

IMG_5934_zpsm9oav061.jpg

IMG_5938_zpsgmqc9j3d.jpg

IMG_5940_zpswydprvln.jpg

IMG_5943_zps0zxnfxln.jpg

IMG_5945_zps9bbgdog4.jpg

Love this guy:

IMG_5947_zpskwacqq5p.jpg

Back in the MK, I honestly have no idea what all the girls did, other than Space Mountain and Splash, as those are the ones that had pictures show up.  Apparently right before these Space Mountain pictures were taken, Jodi talked Susan into reaching up and touching the ceiling in the tunnel thing, which resulted in a visible, audible and painful shock to Susan, which in turn resulted in these:

MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_7176323620_zpsphw7narw

MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_7176323597_zpsx5xtrcox

MK_SPLASH_7176267132_zpskfs0apww.jpeg

After soaking in all of this that we could:

IMG_5950_zps744gc2hq.jpg

we made it back home uneventfully. 

It was a really great trip.  Totally different from the first trip with Danielle – a different pace to the trip, different travelers and different goals – but they were both equally wonderful.  That’s what I love about WDW trips.  They are all different but always great.  And Ray and I are learning more and more about how to have a great time in our old age, including more pool time and less racing about trying to hit every attraction we can.  

So that’s it for Trip #2!  The exciting news, though, is that Trip #3 is almost here!  Danielle and I are meeting up in Atlanta on Friday, and then a week from today we travel to Tegucigalpa, Honduras to stay for a week at El Hogar de Amor y Esperanza, an amazing orphanage where children are given a chance to have a future they would never have without it.  I’m fairly nervous but thrilled to get to be going.  

So, this report will resume as quickly as I can get myself together after getting back.  In the meantime, though, here is a little preview from when Ray and Danielle have been on this same trip before:

482811_4947526119323_1742155676_n_zpshy1

1506890_10202173096622247_2083400843_n_z

562080_4901631411984_328592966_n_zpsiecq

1011446_10202173088622047_549953973_n_zp

Thanks for hanging in there with me! 

It was a really great trip.  Totally different from the first trip with Danielle – a different pace to the trip, different travelers and different goals – but they were both equally wonderful.  That’s what I love about WDW trips.  They are all different but always great.

Totally agree with this!! Who you're with, when you go, how long you're there, where you stay... all make for very different trips, but still great ones.

Looking forward to hearing about Trip #3.

Oh and note to self... watch your hands on Space Mtn.  :blink:

What a great ending to a great trip!

Thanks!   :)

Thanks again for the TR!   Safe travels on this upcoming trip.  Enjoy your time... blessing others, there is no better way to spend your day/life.  Amazing how God, in His mercy, blesses and lifts us up...when we bless others.  God is so good.

I totally agree.  I'm really excited, nervous, anxious to go and also anxious about going - lots of emotions, but I know it will be great.

LOL at the girl behind Jodi.  

Wonder if it was her first time?

And the Dad looks like he's ready to put his hands on her shoulders in case she comes flying out.   :D

Oh my gosh - that little girl looks terrified!  And yes, I think that's exactly what her dad is about to do!

All caught up!

Two great trips that included the return of the napkin bra and the rhino face.

Whatever happened to Mr. Napkinbra?

Mr.  Napkinbra is alive and well, and very much still a part of our lives!  He and Danielle took a brief break in the fall while she got her feet under her at school, but then they reunited and are closer than ever.  Here are the two of them plus Jodi last month when Danielle was home for the 70th birthday party for Buddy (my wonderful step-mom, who has appeared in my TRs before):

84794f76-42f8-4bfa-899b-c784f3346a26_zps

Napkinbra and Danielle are actually returning to the World this summer - this time without me!   :o  His parents are taking them and they're staying at the Poly.  I've thought about crashing the party.  Still thinking...

Can't wait for the rest of the report! 

That's funny about the shock from the blue tunnel on Space Mountain- I have also touched the ceiling there once and received a big shock.  Big enough that I've never tried again.  I thought it might have been static electricity, but maybe they have it like that on purpose?

TCD

It apparently was hysterical, at least to Jodi, when it happened.   :lol:

Keep your hands inside the ride vehicle, people.

We've done many goodbye breakfasts with characters. There a good ending to a trip.

Can't wait to hear about Honduras!

Thanks!  And I agree about the goodbye breakfast.  It really was a super way to spend our last morning.

Totally agree with this!! Who you're with, when you go, how long you're there, where you stay... all make for very different trips, but still great ones.

Looking forward to hearing about Trip #3.

Oh and note to self... watch your hands on Space Mtn.  :blink:

Yup!  

I will be praying for your Honduras trip.

I thought about warning my kids not to reach up in the blue tunnel on Space Mountain, but knowing my kids, then they all would try it!   :facepalm:

Thanks for the prayers!  They are definitely very appreciated!

And I know what you mean about not warning the kids about something they would just then try to do on purpose.  We'll have to see whether Mr. Napkinbra tries it next time!

Thanks everyone for reading!  I'll be back after trip #3!!   :D

Yes about the Chacos!  Danielle loves them.  I've worn my Tevas for years and they're in perfect shape, but Danielle has about talked me into some Chacos for this summer.  You should get some and we can compare notes!

Well, I just ordered some from Sierra Trading Post.  I am hoping to have them broken in for my Spring trip. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!  Thanks first of all to everyone who commented and is still reading.  This time I’m just going to jump right into the report instead of doing individual replies, as I’m just so anxious to tell y’all about my week in Honduras.

Before telling you about the trip, let me tell you a little bit about where we went.  Smack in the middle of Tegucigalpa, Honduras – a city riddled with poverty and crime – is an oasis called El Hogar de Amor y Esperanza (which I believe means “The Home of Love and Hope”).   El Hogar is an orphanage, but it is not the type of orphanage I think of when I think of orphanages.  Many of the children at El Hogar have family of some sort.  None of them are children that El Hogar is seeking to have adopted or fostered by a family, either in Honduras or elsewhere.  Rather, many are children whose families are not able to care for them and are willing, because they love them so much, to let them live with someone else who has the resources to care for them. 

However, while most of the children at El Hogar have some family, several do not.  Some children were rescued literally off the side of the street by Claudia de Castro, the director of El Hogar.  Many of the children have very terrible backgrounds – young girls sold into prostitution, boys who without having been rescued would have undoubtedly ended up in gangs or in the drug trade.  Without El Hogar, these children might have had short, violent lives.  But thankfully, El Hogar actually changes the direction of these childrens lives, in such an amazing, positive way.

The children at El Hogar are generally age 5 and up, and they stay there until graduation at the end of 6th grade.  Once they come to El Hogar, they are educated, housed, fed and most importantly, loved.  Many of the children don’t know how to live in a community at all when they first arrive.  Sometimes it takes quite some time to help the children learn that they don’t have to try to hoard food or objects – that their next meal will come without them having to scrounge to find it.  They learn to live together.   They learn how to be loved.

The main campus of El Hogar is the home for these children until they graduate from 6th grade.  After graduation, the girls go to live at the El Hogar High School for Girls, where they will continue their education with the ultimate goal of the girls graduating with the skills necessary for a vocation and the educational background to prepare them for attendance at the universit.  The boys either go to live at the farm school or the technical school, both associated with the Episcopal church with which El Hogar is connected.  The boys at the farm school learn how to farm both crops and livestock, and the boys at the technical school are trained to be able to market themselves upon graduation in one of three trades, including welding, electrical or automotive repair.  Whether they go to the farm school or the technical school, the boys are prepared either for going to college upon their graduation or for working in their trade.

If you have a few minutes sometime, please watch the video at this link about El Hogar and all the different schools – it is a great representation of what these children receive from living at El Hogar:   https://vimeo.com/96450831

Anyway, seven of us left the US on Saturday, March 14 on the Delta flight nonstop from Atlanta to Tegucigalpa.  We had been well briefed by our team leader Christine about how to safely and successfully make it through the airport, which thankfully was something we had no problem with at all.  Soon, we were smushed into a van on a hair raising ride to our destination.  Thankfully, we had no wrecks (a true miracle), as the van had no seatbelts.  We passed poverty like I have not seen firsthand before, including shacks that would have been torn down by the city as uninhabitable ages ago at home, as well as children looking through dumpsters for food on the side of the road.  Just the drive was eye opening, and not in the way you hope for.  But within 15 minutes, we arrived at our new home. 

Please forgive me if this next part of this report is inappropriate, as I am not a very overtly religious person and rarely put my religion out there in any public context, but from the moment I stepped foot outside the van, I felt God’s presence as I had never felt before.  His grace was so evident on the faces of the children who ran into our arms immediately.  None had ever met me before as it was my first trip, but I received hug after hug after hug.  Danielle has been on this trip twice before, so she was really covered up with love by kids who remembered her from prior trips as well as kids who had come to El Hogar after her last trip.  It was truly an experience like I’ve never had in my life.

Danielle and Reuben:

IMG_6495_zpsthnryocy.jpg

IMG_6496_zpssez2jgdt.jpg

Johana:

IMG_6507_zpsr20hfwgy.jpg

I can't remember this little girl's name, but she was adorable:

IMG_6513_zpszewbrtby.jpg

IMG_6524_zpskxeyhpj5.jpg

Ronnie (a kid who is always smiling) and Danielle:

IMG_6536_zpsbrl4y7rr.jpg

The rest of Saturday and most of Sunday was spent getting to play with the kids in a totally unstructured manner, as the kids were out of school until Monday morning.  On Sunday morning, we got dressed up and got to go to the Episcopal church in town with some of the kids and a few of the adults from the school.  The ride there was another interesting ride as there were 18 of us in a 15 passenger van.  Church was a really nice service, despite the fact that it was all in Spanish.  Most parts of it were very much like what we do at our Episcopal church at home as the service was out of the same Book of Common Prayer as we use, except in Spanish. 

One of the boys’ bedrooms in the dorm:

IMG_6538_zpsazjwoxmf.jpg

IMG_6539_zpswt5vecdc.jpg

View from the dorm:

IMG_6544_zps9y7erir6.jpg

Some of the children were receiving extra academic help on Saturday, including Daniela, whom you’ll hear more about in just a sec, and her twin Christian:

IMG_6545_zpsorapsevw.jpg

Some of the girls sitting on the steps of the dormitory:

IMG_6651_zpsayo4mh5f.jpg

One way that El Hogar raises funds to take care of the children is through sponsorship.  Anyone who wants to sponsor a child can, and many people who visit the school end up not being able to leave without sponsoring one or more.  That’s what happened with our family on Ray and Danielle’s trip last year.  We are now the proud sponsors of Daniela, a very sweet 9-year old girl, and Elder, an awesome boy who turned 12 while we were there.  Elder was very busy with various activities promoting the school that weekend, but Daniela and her brother got to join us at church and at Pizza Hut afterward for a special treat meal.

Danielle, Daniela and Christian:

IMG_6687_zpsesbudp6k.jpg

IMG_6685_zpslsxrmlbq.jpg

Danielle (whose Spanish is very good) getting beat at a thumb war by Daniela:

https://youtu.be/rEYjpfkBsAk

After lunch, we headed back to the school to play for the afternoon and evening.  I was given the opportunity to get lots of exercise – jumping rope, playing chase, kicking a ball….  These kids are very active!  Having this free play time was just wonderful.  

Our fearless leader and the girl she sponsors, who is now at the girls’ school but had come for the weekend to El Hogar:

IMG_6547_zpsaxh48cld.jpg

IMG_6568_zpsneovrtqr.jpg

Danielle and Nancy, one of the most beautiful children in the world.  If she lived here, she could be a serious model if she wanted:

IMG_6582_zpsylgezfnw.jpg

The boy in the striped shirt is Elder, who truly is now the son that Ray never had.  They had an instant connection on Ray and Danielle’s first trip, which just got closer last year.  Elder was disappointed that Ray wasn’t with us this trip, but was happy to know that Ray will be returning in July with another group from our church.

IMG_6653_zpsmyzemvhx.jpg

Elder, Danielle and Ruben:

IMG_6654_zpsanvsplge.jpg