Big difference here?  The only experience we have, is with our hybrid that was around 26' opened up.  We have a 13.5k BTU a/c there and the thing could freeze us out! Looking for our next camper...size will be between 30 and 33 feet.  Some only come with a 13.5k BTU a/c....is it worth the money to pay for the upgrade for this size of a camper?

2 units usually require 50 amp electric. Not all manufacturers offer a trailer with 50 amp as an option.

I would prefer 30 amp anyway.

Okay... so the vote is YES on the 15k BTU.  Thanks for the feedback Fiends!

50 amp can use a 30 amp site, you just have to be mindful of what you have running at once. We have 2 A/Cs and if we are on 30amp, we can only run one at a time.

50 amp can use a 30 amp site, you just have to be mindful of what you have running at once. We have 2 A/Cs and if we are on 30amp, we can only run one at a time.

Really... man, learning all sorts of things lately.  I had no idea that a 50 amp could run off a 30 amp.  Wait... isn't the plug different?  Guess you just need a converter?    

Okay.. now that I say that, that actually makes sense.  I just didn't stop to think that you could use it, but would be limited to what you could use.  Makes sense now that I think about it, but I hadn't stop to give it any thought before... haha  :rolleyes:

Really... man, learning all sorts of things lately.  I had no idea that a 50 amp could run off a 30 amp.  Wait... isn't the plug different?  Guess you just need a converter?    

Okay.. now that I say that, that actually makes sense.  I just didn't stop to think that you could use it, but would be limited to what you could use.  Makes sense now that I think about it, but I hadn't stop to give it any thought before... haha  :rolleyes:

Yep, it is just an adapter cord called a dog bone. My dealer left one in my camper. To this day I don't know if it was their gift or incompetence. :)

Even with my little camper, which is 30 Amp. I carry adapters to go down to 20 Amp 110, and an adapter to go up to 50 Amp.

I use the 20 Amp adapter to just keep the trailer plugged in overnight when I've hitched up in prep for leaving the next morning.

I have also run into a campground where the 30 Amp was bad, and used the adapter to plug into the 50 Amp. Also, an overnight spot I stopped at once, the pullthrough site I picked only had 50 Amp.

If you are going with a bunkhouse, you will definitely want the 15K.  Ours barely keeps up on really hot days.  Another factor is if  you have doors between bunkhouse area and/or front bedroom.  I also upgraded my furnace registers to be adjustable so that I could moderate flow to different areas. 

Even with my little camper, which is 30 Amp. I carry adapters to go down to 20 Amp 110, and an adapter to go up to 50 Amp.

I use the 20 Amp adapter to just keep the trailer plugged in overnight when I've hitched up in prep for leaving the next morning.

I have also run into a campground where the 30 Amp was bad, and used the adapter to plug into the 50 Amp. Also, an overnight spot I stopped at once, the pullthrough site I picked only had 50 Amp.

We've done the same with our little 30 amp trailer. I also use our 30 Amp to 15 Amp at home to precool the refrigerator before we go on trips. The adapters don't cost much and can be found at Walmart.

I have a 30 to 50 amp converter just for the simple fact that 50 amp plugs are ususally less used and in better shape.

Best Regards,

Norm

We've always carried a converter.. just in case the 30 amp outlet was bad.  A Fiend suggested that  :thumbsup3:

for the price difference I would definitely go to a 15k unit.

Question - was your 13k in your last camper ducted? If not, it will get 100% of the cold air into your camper. If the new one is ducted, you are going to lose some cold air into the ceiling, just part of it. So the more cold air you can get the better. Heck, we have 2 15k units on ours and we are debating adding a 3rd.... You can never have too much cooling power.

A couple of other considerations:  The smaller AC will be easier to run off of a portable gen if you ever need to boondock or wallydock. Also having two smaller AC's comes in handy if one goes down at a bad time, or if you just want the bedroom cool at night and don't need to cool the whole rig.

We have a 30amp motorhome w/ 2 ACs and it has worked well for us. We have all of the different adaptors and have used all of them at one time or another......

for the price difference I would definitely go to a 15k unit.

Question - was your 13k in your last camper ducted? If not, it will get 100% of the cold air into your camper. If the new one is ducted, you are going to lose some cold air into the ceiling, just part of it. So the more cold air you can get the better. Heck, we have 2 15k units on ours and we are debating adding a 3rd.... You can never have too much cooling power.

No, the hybrid was not ducted.  We are definitely going with the 15 BTU with the new unit...

We have had two occasions to replace the front AC in various 37 foot motorhomes.  Each time I opted for 15K.  The front area is larger and needs more cooling capability.  The 15K was not that much more costly ands fits just like the 13.5K.  

Also in the last MH I was able to isolate the wiring for the rear AC so it could be run independently...with the primary shore power cord plugged into 30A, the rear AC was plugged into 20A via a separate extension cord.

• 3 weeks later...

You also might want to consider switching to a heatpump version. That way you don't use your propane to heat the trailer.

We don't camp a lot during the winter however... if we did camp (when it was cold), I have a couple of small (but VERY effective) space heaters.  I'd use those as they run off electricity :)     Actually, the water heater in our new camper has the option to run off electric, so the two tanks of propane should last us a few years :)

We don't camp a lot during the winter however... if we did camp (when it was cold), I have a couple of small (but VERY effective) space heaters.  I'd use those as they run off electricity :)     Actually, the water heater in our new camper has the option to run off electric, so the two tanks of propane should last us a few years :)

Since you had the other thread asking about emptying the water heater. You need to be sure to never have the water heater set to electric if is empty. To turn on electric operation without water will burn out the heating element.

Since you had the other thread asking about emptying the water heater. You need to be sure to never have the water heater set to electric if is empty. To turn on electric operation without water will burn out the heating element.

Thank you!!!