I'm just old and crotchety. I miss the old days when I could tune up my car in the drive way for about $10 and an hours time. Now you need a couple thousand dollars worth of diagnostic tools and $300 worth of parts.

OK, rant over.

I still do much of my own work but these days take the vehicle in if I need to do a lot of underneath work. I was talking with the young guy doing some work and the conversation turned to my old Volvo P1800. Explained I was lucky with my year as it had switched to fuel injection from dual Jensen carbs which were a pain to balance. While he new what a carburetor was his face went blank when I told how nice it was to be able to set the timing dwell to what I wanted over what some computer thought was best. While he had heard of points he had no idea what dwell was and many other things about electromechanical ignition systems.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They have a camper and a highly lettered tow vehicle in one of the loops by the Meadows and 2 or 3 of the carts were also at the site. One is a custom cart that looks like a stretch 57 Chevy. The com

WHAT! No more cinnamon rolls?  When did that happen.   Next thing you know they will shut down 20000 Leagues Under the Sea!

I just want to apologize to h20divers.... Ray.

He's the epitome of the American Dream and I didn't mean to come across that his post was upsetting.

He's done things the right way, lived within his means and got ahead step by step.

My rant is against greedy corporations (see above).

Not that anyone isn't allowed to make $$ and get ahead.

No need to apologize. I'm not the best at expressing myself with the written word. Mainly because I can't use my hands while I'm talking. Lol.

I still do much of my own work but these days take the vehicle in if I need to do a lot of underneath work. I was talking with the young guy doing some work and the conversation turned to my old Volvo P1800. Explained I was lucky with my year as it had switched to fuel injection from dual Jensen carbs which were a pain to balance. While he new what a carburetor was his face went blank when I told how nice it was to be able to set the timing dwell to what I wanted over what some computer thought was best. While he had heard of points he had no idea what dwell was and many other things about electromechanical ignition systems.

Lol!

Points? Cars have points?

Many years ago, while in college, I had an 66' mustang and 68' Volkswagen bug. I could fix anything on those cars.

Now I can't even jump start a dead battery.

No really. A few months ago we went to Walmart, in my wife's hybrid and as we were coming out a guy asked if we could jump start his car. I said sure. I pulled in front of his car and popped the hood. Omg! You wouldn't believe the warning signs about electrical shock hazard. I was afraid I might blow up his battery or mine or even worse electrocute myself. Luckily another driver volunteered to use his car.

That's fantastic, and more power to you.

But, companies even bigger ones used to care about the bottom line AND their employees. Everyone was able to make a living wage, and if you worked hard you got ahead, got raises and promotions.

Then bean counters got involved, showered CEOs with praises, inflated their egos and showed how they could save $$ buy cutting benefits and shipping jobs overseas.

The $$ they "saved" they pocketed and gave themselves bigger and bigger raises.

We went from the leading industrialist nation in the world, a true superpower (not just militarily) and turned into a sales oriented, customer service nation.

Skilled jobs are dying out, there are fewer and fewer machinists, electricians, hands on skilled jobs.

Now a skilled job involves being able to make change if the register acts up, or it somehow involves a computer based position.

Don't get me wrong, computer related jobs are important, but a computer can't do everything. No one wants to get their hands dirty anymore.

I'm just old and crotchety. I miss the old days when I could tune up my car in the drive way for about $10 and an hours time. Now you need a couple thousand dollars worth of diagnostic tools and $300 worth of parts.

OK, rant over.

I agree with most of your rant, however there is no longer a tune up on cars. All you do now is change spark plugs every 100,000 miles or so, nothing to tune up or adjust. By the way, I started working on cars in the 60 and just retired a couple of years ago as a fleet mechanic on police cars, the new ones are much easier to keep running correctly..

Hijacking back to the original theme of the post.

Big controversy over on that other FB site. The golf cart guy posted about why the carts were there and that he doesn't rent at the fort.

I only read a few posts, but he's getting attacked because he listed his companies name (advertising) and he's lashing back.

Great drama!

It's so silly.  The guy goes on vacation to the Fort with extended family and friends, and brings carts along for them to use 'cause hey - he owns a GC company! 

A bunch of people jumped to all kinds of conclusions based on zero information, and then in typical internet nonsense fashion, balk when confronted with the actual facts.

I just like that once upon a time the Fiends were told we were too Snarky to be part of "civilized" internet society, and yet we don't often seem to have this kind of baloney happening here, where other places it seems to be daily routine.

No need to apologize. I'm not the best at expressing myself with the written word. Mainly because I can't use my hands while I'm talking. Lol.

You too?!  B)

I agree with most of your rant, however there is no longer a tune up on cars. All you do now is change spark plugs every 100,000 miles or so, nothing to tune up or adjust. By the way, I started working on cars in the 60 and just retired a couple of years ago as a fleet mechanic on police cars, the new ones are much easier to keep running correctly..

Yeah, I know, but it's everything on cars nowadays.  My fuel filter is in the gas tank.  If I turn on the wipers, the power no longer goes from the switch to the motor maybe via a relay.  It now goes to a computer cluster behind the dash which then sends it to another cluster out by the underhood fuse box/relay station and then it might go to the wiper motor.  Lots more to break and a lot more expensive.

I guess I'm lucky, my 2002 Ram was a stripped down version, has A/C and automatic transmission and not a lot else.  At least no power accessories to break.

It's so silly.  The guy goes on vacation to the Fort with extended family and friends, and brings carts along for them to use 'cause hey - he owns a GC company! 

A bunch of people jumped to all kinds of conclusions based on zero information, and then in typical internet nonsense fashion, balk when confronted with the actual facts.

I just like that once upon a time the Fiends were told we were too Snarky to be part of "civilized" internet society, and yet we don't often seem to have this kind of baloney happening here, where other places it seems to be daily routine.

You too?!  B)

I think the big thing on the other site is because his wife? posted about how they brought them to the Fort etc. etc., but then she listed their company name and website and that ticked off someone, and the name calling started.

WHO CARES?  Like you said he brought them for family and friends to use, Disney told him where to park his rig and people get upset because a picture showed his truck and company name on it.

I think the big thing on the other site is because his wife? posted about how they brought them to the Fort etc. etc., but then she listed their company name and website and that ticked off someone, and the name calling started.

Pretty much everything always ticks off someone in that group.  The woman (I think it might be his wife) came on to basically defend the business against all the ridiculous assumptions made, so... it's just a no-win situation with that bunch much of the time.  Lately in particular, it seems they've spent more time beating up on each other than actually discussing anything WDW/Fort related.  :wacko:

Just reminds me why I no longer post there.  If I want aggravation I can just come here and remind Dave and Aaron that they can't get MSB cinnamon rolls anymore.  :tounge-smiley:

Just reminds me why I no longer post there.  If I want aggravation I can just come here and remind Dave and Aaron that they can't get MSB cinnamon rolls anymore.  :tounge-smiley:

WHAT! No more cinnamon rolls?  When did that happen.

Next thing you know they will shut down 20000 Leagues Under the Sea!

Pretty much everything always ticks off someone in that group.  The woman (I think it might be his wife) came on to basically defend the business against all the ridiculous assumptions made, so... it's just a no-win situation with that bunch much of the time.  Lately in particular, it seems they've spent more time beating up on each other than actually discussing anything WDW/Fort related.  :wacko:

:facepalm:

I talk with my hands so much I once hit a full coffee cup my DH was holding. Not to bad. Except we were at a reception and he was in his white uniform. That right white from head to toe. Needless to say I try to control my hands more.

Oh no. I was doing a performance in DC and they reqired everyone to wear white pants or shorts. My girlfriend at the time had a red Hi-C fruit punch. I was picking them up and caught the counter with the cup. The lid flew off and right down the front of my white pants went the cup a couple of hours before our performance. Do you know how hard it is to find white anything for a larger guy never mind on short notice. Oh the memories.

The inevitable going the wrong way in a golf cart thread came up. I was pretty shocked at the name calling- not like beat around the bush passive aggressive name calling; full-on middle school verbal fight.

Yeah, there have been a few threads like that there lately, plus a bunch more shenanigans with fake profiles of previously banned posters stirring up old trouble.  Yeesh...

"I Love Camping at Disney's Fort Wilderness".

The inevitable going the wrong way in a golf cart thread came up. I was pretty shocked at the name calling- not like beat around the bush passive aggressive name calling; full-on middle school verbal fight.

yeah, that one went off the rails and got ugly real quick.

I'm honestly jealous of people who can do that stuff. I mean, who the heck has that kind of time on their hands???!

My thoughts exactly!  Life is too darned short to spend that kind of time on such negative nonsense.

If I want to waste time like that, I'll just come here and remind Dave and Aaron that they can't get MSB cinnamon rolls anymore.

:rofl2: