I think my husband is already nervous that I'm looking into annual passes. He said "let's just try and get through this 18 hour drive with 3 kids in the back of the pickup first. If we're all still friends when we get home we'll look into it".

That's hilarious

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to post on this thread and say welcome, but I skipped it.

So, Welcome!

October is one of my favorite months to visit the Fort and WDW.  It's a great time of year.  It's usually the month when we finally get a few cooler days after a long, hot summer.  And there is no place better than the Fort for Halloween decorations.

I assume your avatar photo is your daughter with Merida.  That photo is awesome!

Have a great trip.

TCD

I think my husband is already nervous that I'm looking into annual passes. He said "let's just try and get through this 18 hour drive with 3 kids in the back of the pickup first. If we're all still friends when we get home we'll look into it".

Welcome-  When our kids were young we always drove at night.  It was about an 18 hour drive from Connecticut (where we used to live) to FW.  I always felt I would rather lose a night of sleep then having to listen to the kids complaining.  That was long before all the great travel entertainment options.  The only thing we have was a 12v- 9"- TV with a VCR built in.  I have heard the movie "Good Burger" almost to the point where I can recite the lines, but I have never seen more than 2 minutes of the movie ever.  But even things like that are good memories now.  We now live in TX and it is about a 19 hour drive and even without the kids I still like to travel at night, less traffic. We now have annual passes, we usually renew them every other year.  We try to get 3 trips, usually March/ April, then Christmas and last March/ April the next year.  Then we wait until the next March/April to get new ones.  My wife is a big fan of the EPCOT flower and garden show, so that explains the March/ April trips.  

Welcome-  When our kids were young we always drove at night.  It was about an 18 hour drive from Connecticut (where we used to live) to FW.  I always felt I would rather lose a night of sleep then having to listen to the kids complaining.  That was long before all the great travel entertainment options.  The only thing we have was a 12v- 9"- TV with a VCR built in.  I have heard the movie "Good Burger" almost to the point where I can recite the lines, but I have never seen more than 2 minutes of the movie ever.  But even things like that are good memories now.  We now live in TX and it is about a 19 hour drive and even without the kids I still like to travel at night, less traffic. We now have annual passes, we usually renew them every other year.  We try to get 3 trips, usually March/ April, then Christmas and last March/ April the next year.  Then we wait until the next March/April to get new ones.  My wife is a big fan of the EPCOT flower and garden show, so that explains the March/ April trips.  

Man this story brings back memories!

My oldest moved out to Omaha in 2001.  We took a road trip out to visit her the next summer with our other 3 kids, but they were all teens.  I did the same thing, removed a middle seat from our MPV, bungee'd an all in one TV down and took off.  I heard Office Space dozens of times, but have yet to ever see the entire movie!.  While we were out there I bought them all headphones and audio cable splitters. Didn't have to hear any more movies on the way home.

Man this story brings back memories!

My oldest moved out to Omaha in 2001.  We took a road trip out to visit her the next summer with our other 3 kids, but they were all teens.  I did the same thing, removed a middle seat from our MPV, bungee'd an all in one TV down and took off.  I heard Office Space dozens of times, but have yet to ever see the entire movie!.  While we were out there I bought them all headphones and audio cable splitters. Didn't have to hear any more movies on the way home.

On man, I sitting here laughing.  We did the same thing with our Astro van, middle seat out and the TV/vcr was bungee'd down to an old milk crate between the front seats.  Yep, next trip had that audio splitter and headphones for the kids.  

Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one.

If you can decide about the APs at the end of this trip you can up grade whatever tickets you bought to APs and you will get credit for the original purchase. However, you have to do the upgrade before you use the last day on the ticket. The AP will be valid from the first use of the original tickets so if your next visit will not be for a while I would just wait  and pay full price. 

If you can decide about the APs at the end of this trip you can up grade whatever tickets you bought to APs and you will get credit for the original purchase. However, you have to do the upgrade before you use the last day on the ticket. The AP will be valid from the first use of the original tickets so if your next visit will not be for a while I would just wait  and pay full price. 

We did just this during our February trip. I read the part that I bold/underlined before I upgraded ours. Ours ended up being valid from the day that we upgraded the tickets not from the first day of our trip. I don't know if it was a fluke, pixie dust, or a new policy.

I meant to post on this thread and say welcome, but I skipped it.

So, Welcome!

October is one of my favorite months to visit the Fort and WDW.  It's a great time of year.  It's usually the month when we finally get a few cooler days after a long, hot summer.  And there is no place better than the Fort for Halloween decorations.

I assume your avatar photo is your daughter with Merida.  That photo is awesome!

Have a great trip.

TCD

Thank you! And yes it is my daughter. She walked back to us after the photo and said "mommy, she has hair like mine.....but she needs a brush!" So many great memories at Disney!

Hello and welcome!!

OK, the proper way to rig a portable DVD player is to hang it between the two front seats of the van using straps and Duct tape! 

We've strapped it to an arrow (bow and arrow kind) and had it hang from between the front seat headrests. :rofl3:

Lol. I can't tell you how many movies I heard but never seen.

The fun thing is it took me about two years to figure out my Yukon could play multiple media at the same time. My DD could watch her DVDs in the overhead player with head phones. DW could also plug in headphones and listen to a cd and I could listen to the radio while I drive. Heaven!!!

:rofl:

Hello and welcome!!

OK, the proper way to rig a portable DVD player is to hang it between the two front seats of the van using straps and Duct tape!

You youngsters have it easy. Way back when before portable DVD players you had to haul around an all in one TV/VCR, and those bad boys wouldn't hang off a seat to save your life!

You youngsters have it easy. Way back when before portable DVD players you had to haul around an all in one TV/VCR, and those bad boys wouldn't hang off a seat to save your life!

We still have ours, sits in the basement collecting dust.

Man, I was a deprived child! We never had a tv/DVD player!

When I went on car trips you got to listen to whatever AM radio station your parents were listening to and the sound came out of 1 speaker in the dash.

You sat in the back seat and read comic books, regular books, ate, slept and maybe had a couple of small toys with you to keep you occupied.

Don't you know it. We had to entertain ourselves by counting VW Bugs or if at night counting one eyed cars.

Heck, forget the VW Bugs... my parents just told us to count (all) cars ;)   If we were lucky, we would drive a long side a train and we could count the train cars... I still find myself counting train cars (when I'm the passenger of course :rolleyes:  ) and my husband and I still play the license plate/abc game!

I thought I was hot stuff when I had a "portable" black & white tv. It was about the size of two shoe boxes side-by-side, had maybe a 4" screen and ran on something like 9 D-cell batteries. It even had an ear-plug jack (not headphones, ear-plug).

You forgot the intellectual conversations with your older brothers!  :)

Only child..... -_-

When I was growing up portable transistor radios were just coming out. Back then the first ones out probably cost as much an iPhone does now. :lol:   Couple of years later all the knock-offs came out and the prices got reasonable.

We didn't travel in an SUV or minivan.  We traveled in station wagons.  Three seaters, with the center seat collapsed for the kids to play and luggage in the rear.  And no place to hang a DVD (a WHAT?) or set a TV.  There was a bench seat in front and the smallest kid sat in a car seat that hung over the back of the seat.  No seat belts or shoulder straps.  When I finally got my first MH(18.5' Class C) we had an AC/DC B/W TV, but we could only use it after we parked so we could connect an antenna I had rigged on a pole fastened outside the bathroom window.