So our current TV tows our TT fine, but we do notice that it feels like she is maxed out so we know that in the next couple of years we'll need to make a change. Question that I have, is when looking at trucks... some have an extended/longer bed.  Is this necessary/important?  I don't imagine we'd ever purchase a GC, we would just throw bikes back there.  Is there a huge benefit to the longer bed with regards to towing?  Or is the only benefit, more room in the bed and the wheelbase is the same??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you said extra room in the bed for gear, also a longer wheelbase vehicle is usually better for towing, a shorter wheelbase seems to sway more then a longer one. Plus if you ever upgrade to a 5th wheel I like a long  bed best.

I don't want a 5th wheel.  If we ever changed from our TT, we could go with a Class A.

Right now we have a short wheelbase of 123", but we spent a lot of money on a ProPride hitch and I will tell you.... very, very nice hitch.  Even with our short wheelbase, the sway has been minimal. Our truck is low on power, which is the main reason we would make the change.  Looking at some "standard" beds, it looks like we could still gain about 20" over our current wheelbase.   I guess I'm just trying to avoid, having to drive around a super huge truck  :rolleyes:

I don't want a 5th wheel.  If we ever changed from our TT, we could go with a Class A.

Right now we have a short wheelbase of 123", but we spent a lot of money on a ProPride hitch and I will tell you.... very, very nice hitch.  Even with our short wheelbase, the sway has been minimal. Our truck is low on power, which is the main reason we would make the change.  Looking at some "standard" beds, it looks like we could still gain about 20" over our current wheelbase.   I guess I'm just trying to avoid, having to drive around a super huge truck  :rolleyes:

Pay more attention to the wheelbase than the bed length. Some cab\bed combinations on the truck give you the longer bed for storage (if you wanted that) but can be on the same wheelbase as a crew cab short bed.

I would think the longer wheelbase would be more beneficial with a bumper pull than a 5th wheel since the connection is made farther back on the truck. The bumper pull has much more leverage to start the wiggle process on the truck. Obviously you have a fantastic hit to mitigate that, and make wheelbase a non-issue.

Agree X2.

If I had my choice of pulling a TT or a 5er I would choose the 5er all day.

But as Todd said some crew cabs have the se wheel base as a long bed. So look into that more.

We've heard that... pulling a 5th wheel is easier than a TT, so I don't know that we'd disagree (heck, we can't as we've never pulled a 5th wheel...  :lol: ).  But we debated this time between towing and a driveable, which is why I say that the next time around... it will be a Class A.

Actually the closer the ball to the rear axle the more stability.  

Ball... the hitch ball to the real axle??

The Ford diesel has the dreaded 6.0 motor that was & still is a thorn in Ford's side, it does look like he addressed a lot of the issues they had which is a good thing. Once you get things corrected in it, it  is a great motor. I have a 05 with only 80,000 miles on it but do not tow with it anymore due to the purchase of a bigger tow vehicle.

We've heard that... pulling a 5th wheel is easier than a TT, so I don't know that we'd disagree (heck, we can't as we've never pulled a 5th wheel...  :lol: ).  But we debated this time between towing and a driveable, which is why I say that the next time around... it will be a Class A.

Ball... the hitch ball to the real axle??

Yep!  That's why a FW is very stable the hitch (pin or ball) is right over the axle

I would avoid the 6.0 diesel unless you are a truck guy that likes to modify it.

I had a 6.0 and even though it had 325h.p. it never had enough power to pull my camper and 13 mpg was tops on mine Not towing. When towing it was 6 or 7 mpg. I am a Ford guy but if you are going with a 05 or 06 diesel I would go dodge or Chevrolet or gmc. Now if you were to get a 2011 or newer ford diesel there great you will never know your trailer is back there. And yes a long bed tows better I have had both. Not near as much bounce when hitting bumps with the long bed. Also in ford super duty long beds have 10 more gallons of fuel then the short beds. 38 gal long bed 28 gal short bed.

Just take a walk around the campgrounds your at and start taking notes on what folks are towing with, keep in mind not everyone has the right set up after a while you will know what's right & wrong. Sometimes I just scratch my head and wonder what some people are thinking, even scares me at times.

I hate the tires on the truck (or maybe it's the rims??), but Tom loves them.  I keep telling him that he's a country boy at heart  :lol:   The more people he talks to, the more reading he does, the more he is leaning towards diesel... simply for the towing power.  Our TT isn't the heaviest out there, but if we decided to travel up some mountains... we want to know that we'll make it.  With our current TV, that's a tough call  :rolleyes:

Yes... I know, I REALLY hate the color.  It should be Gator Blue.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/5043061820.html

I have had several trucks with lift kits and 35" tires. And that really hurts your towing power and mpg. If it's a truck to tow your camper stay as close to stock tire size as you can. I miss my lifted trucks they were fun but when it comes to pulling trailers I love my stock truck. I will say that Chevrolet looks good but I would keep looking.