Disney Quest Closing to make way for NBA Experience

Here's the Disney Parks Blog article they referenced...

As we approach tip off for the 2015 NBA Finals, we wanted to share some exciting details on a new, extraordinary entertainment experience for guests of all ages coming to Disney Springs called The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort.

WDL7995732thumb.jpg

The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort is going to be a one-of-a-kind destination featuring hands-on activities that put families and guests of all ages right in the middle of NBA game action. You’ll be able to explore inside the world of professional basketball with numerous interactive experiences and enjoy a restaurant and retail store.

WDL7995731-613x110.jpg

The Walt Disney Company and the NBA just made the joint announcement and also shared that initial development work has just begun. “We’re excited to join the NBA in offering this unique form of family entertainment,” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “It will be a terrific addition to the world-class lineup of shops and restaurants coming to Disney Springs.”

The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort will be one of more than 150 shopping, dining and entertainment venues at Disney Springs.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for more details about The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort as Downtown Disney continues its expansion into Disney Springs.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/06/nba-experience-at-walt-disney-world-resort-coming-to-disney-springs/

WDW News Today just posted...

Yesterday was the last day guests would be able to purchase annual pass tickets for the DisneyQuest

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/06/disneyquest-to-close-soon-to-make-way-for-the-nba-experience/

Good question.  I'm assuming they'll drop the "and more" off the ticket.  Question is, will they also lower the price?

Ok, I just stopped laughing at your lower the price comment and wiped the coffee off of my monitor.

Seriously, isn't it a little early to be hitting the bottle so hard?

I know it's 5 O'clock somewhere but it's not even Friday!

Ok, I just stopped laughing at your lower the price comment and wiped the coffee off of my monitor.

Seriously, isn't it a little early to be hitting the bottle so hard?

I know it's 5 O'clock somewhere but it's not even Friday!

And thus ends your "chuckle of the day."

You're welcome.  :smug:

The Disney Parks Blog omitted a pretty significant fact in their announcement.

Like, that this great new addition is going to replace something that a lot of folks already enjoy.

I like how half the comments asked if this was going to replace Disney Quest, and those comments were ignored.

It doesn't affect me, because I have no plans to go anywhere near that mess.

TCD

but obviously the new NBA venue will bring in more $$$.

I don't think that's obvious at all.

There has been a restaurant/sports bar at Universal Studios called NBA City for years.  Do you know anyone who's ever been?

My sense is that the NBA is not as popular as it once was.

I'm not so sure people are going to want to flock to this place.  Especially with all the other stuff there will be to do at Disney Springs.

TCD

There has been a restaurant/sports bar at Universals Studios called NBA City for years.  Do you know anyone who's ever been?

Nope.  I've walked by it a bunch of times too, and it always seems pretty empty.

I agree it seems like a strange choice for what's now Disney Springs.

It's possible DQ just wasn't cutting it any more in terms of revenue, but given the overall theme change and the "tone" of what else has been added to Disney Springs so far, this seems like an odd choice.

When PI Clubs were closed, Premium AP holders were given greens fees for Oak Trails 9-hole walking course to compensate as part of the "And More", so maybe they will do something.

I went into DQ just once. Lots of the classic games were broken, the Virtual Reality stuff gave me a headache.

They haven't updated anything in that place for years. It's probably time for it to die.

When PI Clubs were closed, Premium AP holders were given greens fees for Oak Trails 9-hole walking course to compensate as part of the "And More", so maybe they will do something.

I went into DQ just once. Lots of the classic games were broken, the Virtual Reality stuff gave me a headache.

They haven't updated anything in that place for years. It's probably time for it to die.

And that says it all about Disney's attitude for a lot of their attractions, and the way the Fort has been handled.

Look at all the things they have closed at HS, and EPCOT.

Things are getting run down and threadbare, and it's really starting to show.

The Fort gets neglected or is the last in line to get any improvements.

We've always wanted to go, but never wanted to "waste" a park day. I guess we'll go in the next 2 weeks just to say that we did.

having unlimited use of the old arcade video games like Frogger is great.  Some of the simulation games like Pirates of the Caribbean are good, but some; like Alladin, are really getting old.  Cyber Space Mountain is a lot of fun.  We go every year as part of the cast member Christmas package.  We always enjoy it, although I usually end up with a headache due to the noise.

Nope.  I've walked by it a bunch of times too, and it always seems pretty empty.

I agree it seems like a strange choice for what's now Disney Springs.

It's possible DQ just wasn't cutting it any more in terms of revenue, but given the overall theme change and the "tone" of what else has been added to Disney Springs so far, this seems like an odd choice.

First off......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

That's all you need to know.  

DQ was a huge space, and likely wasn't bringing in the revenue to justify it.  

The NBA is very popular within certain demographics, but not so much for the "typical Disney crowd", I would guess.  So I bet the NBA sees this as an opportunity to expand their fan base, and they must have offered up (through whoever the operator is going to be) significant enough leasing fees for Disney to hand the keys over to them.  

I don't think it'll be a rousing success.  But what do I know?  Every single day that I live in this country things happen that make me scratch my head and realize that I'm becoming a dinosaur.  

First off......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

That's all you need to know.  

The NBA is very popular within certain demographics, but not so much for the "typical Disney crowd", I would guess.  So I bet the NBA sees this as an opportunity to expand their fan base, and they must have offered up (through whoever the operator is going to be) significant enough leasing fees for Disney to hand the keys over to them.  

I don't think it'll be a rousing success.  But what do I know?  Every single day that I live in this country things happen that make me scratch my head and realize that I'm becoming a dinosaur.  

What they need is FUTBOL!  Goalllllllllll.  They would make a mega ton of money off of the Brazilians!  The line would stretch all the way back thru the entire complex to the toy store and the splash fountain.

What they need is FUTBOL!  Goalllllllllll.  They would make a mega ton of money off of the Brazilians!  The line would stretch all the way back thru the entire complex to the toy store and the splash fountain.

Good idea. It might also help lower their numbers in the parks.

... I bet the NBA sees this as an opportunity to expand their fan base, and they must have offered up (through whoever the operator is going to be) significant enough leasing fees for Disney to hand the keys over to them.  

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. 

And if it flops?  No problem.  Disney isn't forking over any money to develop/maintain the space, like they were with DQ.  On the contrary, they're being paid to use it and if this "tenant" doesn't work out they can bring another in.

I'd imagine there's a pretty long list of people looking to get a foothold on Disney property to get to their customer base.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. 

And if it flops?  No problem.  Disney isn't forking over any money to develop/maintain the space, like they were with DQ.  On the contrary, they're being paid to use it and if this "tenant" doesn't work out they can bring another in.

I'd imagine there's a pretty long list of people looking to get a foothold on Disney property to get to their customer base.

Yup.

I still think it's a strange choice.  Disney Quest has things that all ages can participate in, and lots of things that would appeal to any kind of family, regardless of its composition.  This NBA thing?  I don't think it's something that is anywhere close as universally appealing.

But, I'm sure the NBA is coughing up the $$$, so it's all good for Disney.

TCD

Yup.

I still think it's a strange choice.  Disney Quest has things that all ages can participate in, and lots of things that would appeal to any kind of family, regardless of its composition.  This NBA thing?  I don't think it's something that is anywhere close as universally appealing.

But, I'm sure the NBA is coughing up the $$$, so it's all good for Disney.

TCD

I guess the 1% of the 1%ers that are staying at the Poly Bungalows, are at Disney Springs to purchase their $200 men's razor,  $300 woman's shirt and eat the $150 lamb chop dinner at the Boathouse will like to spend some time in there purchasing overpriced tank tops, shorts and jerseys.