From WDW News Today...

BREAKING: Disney World Introducing $150 Paid After Hours Event At Magic Kingdom

168799_10151437863411687_747077822_n

Disney has just announced a new paid after hours event called “Disney After Hours”.

With “Disney After Hours,” guests buy a ticket and get access to The Magic Kingdom for three hours after the park closes, including select attractions and meet & greets.

Tickets go on sale April 6th for select dates in April and May only. Dates of the events are April 14th, 21st, 28th, and May 5th, 8th, 12th, & 19th. Tickets are $149 plus tax each for children or adults. At that price, we imagine space is very, very limited and lines should be almost non-existent.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/03/breaking-disney-world-introducing-150-paid-after-hours-event-at-magic-kingdom/

Speculation that this may be the beginning of the end for evening Extra Magic Hours from Passholders.club...

One of the major perks for staying on property is the Extra Magic Hours, where guest that stay on property are allowed into the parks early or get to stay late to ride attractions without a long wait time.

Well according to our friends at WDWNT.com a new Experience Disney is set to offer in April might change that. Introducing “Disney After hours” A Premium Experience that will allow guest to stay an additional 3 hours at Magic Kingdom after park close.

Dates of “Disney After Hours” are April 14th, 21st, 28th, and May 5th, 8th, 12th, & 19th. Tickets can be purchased starting on April 6th.

Our Thoughts: (Just our two cents)

• Disney May End up combining This With Extra Magic Hours, Including it as part of the proposed Resort Fee, would let resort guest attend these events
  • Disney May Keep Morning Extra Magic Hours at MK
  • We are wondering, Will you have to pay the Park Admission, or is this going to be handled like a Halloween or Christmas Party?
  • Will Passholders Have any type of benifit?
  • Will This mean the park closes early every night this event is offered?

http://passholder.club/2016/03/is-disney-after-hours-the-end-of-extra-magic-hours/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

We rarely seem to be able to hang into the night magic hours.  I would be willing to bet it is going to be a lot like the holiday parties.  Wow, surely at 149 it would include the day's admission.  I can't imagine paying all that money then being worn out and leaving early!  That would be a tough day for me.

On the flip side, this could open up a lot of rooms onsite. I can see folks staying at some of the nice resorts in the area and becoming commuter Disney vacationers. Universal will benefit from folks not locked into Disney property

Looks like the admission price covers only the extended hours. From the site:

Please note that the number of tickets available is limited. In addition, all tickets are non-refundable, non-transferrable and are only valid for admission during the special event date and hours.

Adding in the cost of the daily admission and you are talking some big bucks. I have also seen some talk about it being selected attractions being open late which I assume to be the biggies. Could feel kind of dead if they have a bunch of the lesser attractions closed. Kind of like the last night of the county fair where they start tearing down some of the rides and side shows before the gated close. I hope it is just an occasional event and doesn't replace the traditional extended hours as I do like those even though there might be a few more people in the park.

13 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Reading some of the additional details, it stated you could enter at 7pm.

Yep.  From the official link above...

"Official check-in for the event will take place at the Main Entrance to the theme park beginning at 7:00 PM."

So if you don't have a regular park ticket for that day, you could use this to still get in 6 hours of park time - similarly to how some folks use the other party tickets and enter at 4pm.

Any speculation on how this will effect those with regular admission for the day?  I was planning to be at MK on 4/28 from 9am to the stated closing time of 10pm.  Will I now need to plan to leave at 7pm?

Okay.  Nevermind.  I found where the closing time will stay the same.  Can't wait to see how this effects the crowd level for the parade and fireworks that night. :(

" Ice Cream Novelties & Select Beverages Included! 
In the midst of the laughs and thrills, be sure to chill out with ice cream novelties and select bottled beverages—included with the cost of admission—available at carts stationed through the park."

Unlimited Mickey Bars for $150?  Hmmmmm... Or will they substitute some lesser ice cream novelties?

50 minutes ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

... Can't wait to see how this effects the crowd level for the parade and fireworks that night. :(

Hmm... good question. I'm not really sure.  This isn't like the other parties where the fireworks are only during the parties and the party parades are totally different than the regular park hour parade.

11 minutes ago, Seals said:

Unlimited Mickey Bars for $150?  Hmmmmm... Or will they substitute some lesser ice cream novelties?

My money is on the later, although for $150pp maybe not.

Personally, I think this is BS.

Another example of money grabbing for nothing.

And, reportedly there are no more fastpass+ reservations being taken for parades and/or fireworks.

This is really beginning to get ridiculous, in terms of what you get for your ever-increasing $$ spent. It's almost offensive at this point.

5 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Reading some of the additional details, it stated you could enter at 7pm.

Missed that part.

It still wouldn't work well for us as we usually go first thing in the morning to get some stuff in, leave around lunch then go back after dinner till close (whenever that may be that day).

• 4 weeks later...

Inside The Magic posted a review...

Review: ‘Disney After Hours at Magic Kingdom’ event – Is it worth it?

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/04/review-after-hours-at-magic-kingdom-event-is-it-worth-it/

Excerpt...

• To figure out if this event is worth it to you, you clearly have to weigh how much your time is worth against your budget. If time is of an essence and you rather not waste it in line for attractions, then yes paying $149 may be worth it to you. I have a hard time figuring out any other time when you will see the Magic Kingdom this empty. But if this is your 5th trip to Disney, you can visit Magic Kingdom more than once and plan out your FP+ correctly I see no reason why you wouldn’t be able to experience all the attractions without much of a wait time. Which only leaves you the free ice cream and that surely wouldn’t be enough to be worth the ticket price.
  • If this was offered during Christmas or Fourth of July weekend I could see it having much bigger appeal but as for now it is not.

Interesting article from the Orlando Sentinel...

Disney: After Hours event and its aftermath

Walt Disney World's latest special event is a late-night ticket to Magic Kingdom

The first Disney After Hours event at Magic Kingdom has passed, and the reaction on social media ranges from ecstatically happy to, well, confused. And some people would rather just keep their money.

Holders of a ticket to Disney After Hours have access to key parts of the park for three hours after regular day guests have left. Walt Disney World is selling a limited amount of tickets to the event, which is on select nights only. After Hours guests can actually enter Magic Kingdom at 7 p.m. The cost is $149 per person.

So while photos from the event appear to show nearly deserted attractions ... that's kind of the point. (Disney isn't saying what the upper limit of its After Hours ticket sales is.) Reports from the event said that most rides were on a walk-right-on basis. And some beverage and ice-cream treats, including the Mickey Bar, were available for free.

A favorite tweet from the evening comes from @laughing_place: "Able to throw a turkey leg and not hit another guest."

Among the available rides and attractions during After Hours were Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Barnstomer, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, "it's a small world," Mad Tea Party, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Peter Pan's Flight, Prince Charming Regal Carrousel, Astro Orbiter, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Stitch's Great Escape, Tomorrowland Speedway, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Pirates of the Caribbean, Swiss Family Treehouse, Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room and Under the Sea -- Journey of the Little Mermaid. Guests could also meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater or royal characters at Princess Fairytale Hall in Fantasyland.

Other Twitter posts from the event:

"Our best guess is that there are about 1,000 guests at the #DisneyAfterHours event at Magic Kingdom tonight." (@attractions)

"I want to know how many of the estimated 1000 guests at #DisneyAfterHours tonight got in free with DVC membership???" (@DJDisnerd)

"Even with #DisneyAfterHours meeting Anna & Elsa is the longest line... Of about 10 minutes." (@Jsilsb)

"Disney After Hours works for people who aren't bloggers, locals, casual goers etc. It's for people who don't live here and can splurge." (@figmentjedi)

"If I was a vacationer from out of state, Disney After Hours would be a cool splurge for a MK day INSTEAD of a regular park day." (@drunkatdisney)

"Disney- 'how do we get rid of all the old ice cream we never sold...?' 'NOW INTRODUCING, DISNEY AFTER HOURS @ $159!" (@diegodrummer69)

"Empty park and free ice cream. I love after hours. Thanks. #Disney" (@mfinder3)

"Just walked on to mine train. #DisneyAfterHours rocks!" (@waltdisneydad)

"These photos from Disney After Hours make it pretty much look like heaven." (@mfwit)

"I love that people are reporting from the extra pay Disney After Hours event at WDW that there are like no guest there" (@scjacka)

"Im confused. Technically #DisneyAfterHours looks like a flop but isn't nobody showing up and having the park to yourself kinda the point?" (@coastineast)

"Looks like there were very few people at the #DisneyAfterHours event. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?" (@disneymagicwdw)

"The first #DisneyAfterHours has concluded and 3 hours is not enough time to do all 26 attractions even with no wait." (@laughing_place)

Other scheduled Disney After Hours dates include April 21, May 5, 8, 12 and 19. For more information, go to disneyworld.com.

Copyright © 2016, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-disney-after-hours-first-event-20160415-story.html

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Best quote ever!

"Disney- 'how do we get rid of all the old ice cream we never sold...?' 'NOW INTRODUCING, DISNEY AFTER HOURS @ $159!" (@diegodrummer69)

That cracked me up. 

It also reminded me of the last time we did the 24 hour event at MK.  Around 3-4am some CMs from the candy store came out with big trays of sugar covered cake pops and were handing them out.  Apparently they miscalculated how many "balls o' sugar" people would pay money for and they don't store well.  ;)

If the 1000 guest number quoted in the article is anywhere near the actual number of guests then I think Disney failed on their opening night. That is only $150K for the gate. With all the freebees a high assumption of another $100/person in expenditures your only talking $250K for 3 hours of park operation. My guess is Disney was expecting another zero added to the 1000 reported guests and I wouldn't be surprised if the target wasn't more like 25K-50K or about a quarter to half of the park capacity. With the number of rides open the delays would be minimal at those numbers and in my mind still worth one visit.

2 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

I wonder if Disney will increase the amount of tickets they sell and allow more people in? Maybe keep adding bodies until people start to complain and then they will know about how many tickets to sell.

There's speculation that many of the people there didn't even buy tickets, but instead were media/bloggers invited by Disney.  Could be they were invited for the "free press" (that happens) or also possible they didn't actually sell out in the first place. I'm betting there's a magic number of tickets they need to sell for this to be profitable enough to keep doing it.  Doesn't sound like they likely hit it out of the gate.

1 hour ago, Tuke said:

Based on the comments and articles I've read, I'm thinking that this experiment will just go away.

Could be people aren't super aware of this event yet. It seemed like it was announced on the interwebz not long before it debuted. Maybe it'll pickup steam as it goes along.  If not, I agree it'll either be tweaked (lower price?) or just go away.