RV Fire Exits (aka, leaving Dukes of Hazzard style)

We were parked in a field tonight with no one around and were playing with the fire escape windows to get air into the camper. We have been talking for a while about emergency planning with the fire escapes and practicing exits and whatnot. So tonight, we played around with the idea and frankly, I'm very sad and very afraid.

#1- I could get my kids out *if* I'm standing outside and able to "catch" them.

#1a- we didn't test it but my wife could catch my 3 year old son, but no way would be able to catch my 12 year old daughter (not without getting hurt in the process; but I guess if it comes to that- being hurt or kid dying, the decision is easy).

#2- neither my wife or I could make it out. (yes, bold, underline, and caps.)

Maybe we'll be willing to plummet face first to the ground in the event of a real fire. BUT- in practice, neither of us could force ourselves to do it.

Now, for the videos. My apologies for fat guy stomach hanging out of the bottom of my shirt.

Daughter came out. But notice it took 20 seconds and that doesn't include the couple of stutter starts to figure out the best way.

https://youtu.be/5NG6GEiSdgo

Son popped right out, but this was the lowest window. Would he come out IF he had to free fall a bit before I caught him?

https://youtu.be/FqBkp41R36w

And now, my 3 failed attempts. I gave up fairly quick because that was an option. But still- the idea of falling face first down 6' wasn't comfortable.

https://youtu.be/f5sv1WDEzeQ

https://youtu.be/KlZ0QCNkr2A

https://youtu.be/gKmmaVSSK2o

I have heard from multiple people and some online research that escape windows are required for rv's. However I have seen mixed guidance on how many, location in unit, size, height from ground, etc.

in our hybrid there was an easy way out. Our travel trailer is a little different. The rear escape is really big. The middle window to escape is big but in the slide out over the couch. I could see issues trying to get out of it. The front room has nothing in it as I expect the plan to get out of there is the door in the middle room. We have a Rockwood 8312ss and I am pretty sure if I needed to get everyone out quickly I could between the 2 doors and 2 fire escapes. If I had issues you better believe there would be some windows being kicked/smashed out.

Same here, our rear window has a big red "Fire Exit" sticker. In an emergency you have to push or kick the window out AFTER pulling a red plastic loop.

I've been to many many fatal fire scenes and am a big believer in practice drills and knowing ahead of time where the exits are (even in a restaurant, store, movies, etc.)

I've seen many times where someone was killed just a few feet away from a door or window, or even just inside a window because smoke got them before they could exit. Fires in RV's move fast and seconds count.

So good for you Doug and keep practicing.

As a side note, I've noticed that many new campers are doing away with large windows and/or drivers doors (for Class A's). That's a mistake and our next RV will have at least a drivers door and large rear exit windows.  I am also leaning towards a Super C which has a better crush zone than an A, plus it has 3 doors.

Maybe get each family member a glass break hammer to keep in their nearest drawer. That and a tough burlap or similar fabric to lay over the window edging? In a real situaton, you would not be working about breaking the camper or minor injuries. Good smoke detectors and plenty of them are key in a camper. 

Fire/emergency drills are a good thing to do so everyone is familiar with the exits and how to use them. If it came to a actually emergency situation you wouldn't find yourself hesitating, I know in our trailer there is the door, exit window in the bedroom and one in the slide. However the window over the dinette a foot from the emergency window is a sliding window that is much bigger and lower to the ground. If I had the option to use it I would even if it had to be broken.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow...great thought Doug.  We need to do a drill.  I've looked at the windows and we have a decent size extinguisher (however, I'm planning to buy a larger one for both our home and the RV).  The idea of a fire and not being able to get to your children...don't even want to speak it.

Wow...great thought Doug.  We need to do a drill.  I've looked at the windows and we have a decent size extinguisher (however, I'm planning to buy a larger one for both our home and the RV).  The idea of a fire and not being able to get to your children...don't even want to speak it.

I think I'm turning into a walking advertisement for Mac The Fire Guy. His site videos are pretty helpful.

http://www.macthefireguy.com/

I am also going to be looking at buying a 5-pack of fire extinguishers, 1 of the automatic fire suppression ones for in the basement where my furnace and water heater are, and at least 3 smoke detectors (my bedroom, kids bedroom, basement, and maybe a 4th in the hallway coming up the steps).

I'll also be practicing exiting my bedroom with the emergency exit (which is different than what I showed in the videos AND should be more conducive to feet first exiting). And, the kids are going to learn to open their emergency exit and get out that way.

I know they can be trained/taught to exit via it. But one of my concerns is simply daughter having the strength to open it. The red tab is a pain in the but to pop-up in order to open the window.

22 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Maybe get each family member a glass break hammer to keep in their nearest drawer. That and a tough burlap or similar fabric to lay over the window edging? In a real situaton, you would not be working about breaking the camper or minor injuries. Good smoke detectors and plenty of them are key in a camper. 

Good point about plenty of smoke detectors.  You can't escape from smoke/fire if you don't wake up soon enough.  I've seen many burned houses with disconnected or non-working smoke detectors hanging from the ceiling, usually with either no batteries or dead batteries.  That's why I start each trip by using the test buttons on each detector.

In our's we have detectors front and rear:  2 combo smoke/fire detectors (some detectors alarm with smoke, some alarm with heat), and 2 CO detectors, plus the LP detector.

And a good idea when doing a fire drill is to train people in the RV to grab blankets and pillows from the beds to put over the window sill. They're handy and should work just fine.

Having the hammer nearby just in case is also a good idea.

10 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

I think I'm turning into a walking advertisement for Mac The Fire Guy. His site videos are pretty helpful.

I am also going to be looking at buying a 5-pack of fire extinguishers, 1 of the automatic fire suppression ones for in the basement where my furnace and water heater are, and at least 3 smoke detectors (my bedroom, kids bedroom, basement, and maybe a 4th in the hallway coming up the steps).

I'll also be practicing exiting my bedroom with the emergency exit (which is different than what I showed in the videos AND should be more conducive to feet first exiting). And, the kids are going to learn to open their emergency exit and get out that way.

I know they can be trained/taught to exit via it. But one of my concerns is simply daughter having the strength to open it. The red tab is a pain in the but to pop-up in order to open the window.

Mac does great classes and videos. I think he did another one after that awful story a couple of years ago where some RVers died trying to get out of a small window with people outside trying to help them.... very sad     :(

Remember the hand held fire extinguishers are primarily for blocking the fire so you can get out.  Only the smallest fires can actually be successfully fought inside.

Our fear is for our three wheelchair dependent children...one in the rear and two near the front door.  But none could get themselves out.  And I can't see either of us leaving them inside.

1 hour ago, Retired and Happy (Ken) said:

Remember the hand held fire extinguishers are primarily for blocking the fire so you can get out.  Only the smallest fires can actually be successfully fought inside.

Our fear is for our three wheelchair dependent children...one in the rear and two near the front door.  But none could get themselves out.  And I can't see either of us leaving them inside.

Understood and agreed - basically we want to be able to get us adults out at one end and if need be, back in on the other end to extract kids. I think going around would be the best plan considering where fires are likely.

are there no fire escapes in your bunk house? We have once in the bunk house that is on the lowest bunk so the fall would not be that bad....that's assuming you need to get out that window. Our slide has one in the same spot yours is in but it is the entire window, I feel a little better with a larger opening trying to swing myself out if needed. The one I don't want to do is the one from the front bedroom as it is higher than I'd like to tumble, but in emergency you do what you have to do.

Thanks for posting these, it's a good reminder to folks that this is something that needs to be practiced. I must admit, we have only practiced once in this new 5er and we have had it over 2 years now.

2 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

are there no fire escapes in your bunk house? We have once in the bunk house that is on the lowest bunk so the fall would not be that bad....that's assuming you need to get out that window. Our slide has one in the same spot yours is in but it is the entire window, I feel a little better with a larger opening trying to swing myself out if needed. The one I don't want to do is the one from the front bedroom as it is higher than I'd like to tumble, but in emergency you do what you have to do.

Thanks for posting these, it's a good reminder to folks that this is something that needs to be practiced. I must admit, we have only practiced once in this new 5er and we have had it over 2 years now.

The only emergency exit in the bunkhouse is the upper bunk on the driver's side. But, we also have the 1/2 bath door. Needing to use the emergency window means that the fridge started the fire (effectively blocking the 1/2 bath door and possibly the bunkhouse door) - which, scarily, isn't that far out of the realm of possibilities.

The thing about practicing is finding that your instinct of how to get out a window is typically the wrong method. I think it was mentioned above, but there's a story told of people who got stuck in their exit window and subsequently died.

---

Touching on it, as it's commonly mentioned-- the whole concept of a swift kick- I've never tried, but I'd hate to try it with bare feet in the middle of the night with fire licking my bum. I know you get crazy adrenaline strength in emergencies, but still.

Here's a video where everything turned out OK, but it came close to being a tragedy.....

The RV Doctor was in the right place at the right time.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/04/04/dnt-fl-rv-fire-rescue.wesh

The fire started when their right front tire blew and ignited which quickly cut off the one and only door in this RV. 

As Doug said above, fridge fires are also somewhat common and that will also cut off the front exit/s.  

On 4/11/2016 at 11:12 AM, ependydad...Doug said:

Understood and agreed - basically we want to be able to get us adults out at one end and if need be, back in on the other end to extract kids. I think going around would be the best plan considering where fires are likely.

And don't forget your keys when you run around to the front.  

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:23 AM, ependydad...Doug said:

ependydad, look up metalcraft fire in Maryland if your going to put a self operating system in with your generator. They are built and designed for high-end road and water vehicles. Worth every penny because of their testing. Also I would recommend buying anything less than a 5lb extinguisher. The smaller ones usually don't have enough emmmph