Rumor: So How Likely IS a 5th Park?

Might be time to dig up the ol' "5th Gate" rumor again for some fun speculation.  With thanks to Jen for digging up this article...

What Will Disney Do With Its Newly Purchased 350 Acres of Land?
Could this purchase signal more resorts or even a fifth theme park?

http://www.worldofwalt.com/disney-buys-350-acwhat-will-disney-do-with-its-newly-purchased-350-acres-of-land.html

...it's a little old at this point (the land was purchased 2 years ago), but it brings up some points I'm not sure I've seen before. And if I have and have forgotten, just ignore me and move along.  ;)

By setting aside the land in the Disney Wilderness Preserve, Disney earned the right to destroy 600 acres of wetlands, which in turn allowed it to develop more of the property on the Disney Resort.

...Disney has submitted an application to the local Florida water management district that would allow it to build on 800 acres of land that are adjacent to and west of the Walt Disney World Resort, near State Road 429 and Disney’s new Flamingo Crossings development. Part of the application would allow Disney to destroy 350 acres of existing wetlands during the next 20 years.

With all the expansion at AK and HS, I can't imagine construction on a 5th park anytime soon, but these things generally are planned years in advance and I do wonder if there's something sitting on a drawing board somewhere? (or whatever today's equivalent of a drawing board is)

The other thing that makes me think that a 5th park will come eventually is the recent admission by Disney that part of the reason for price increases has been to help mitigate park attendance. (Don't you hate it when your marketing works TOO well??) Could it be that they're close to maxing out attendance in terms of how many people they can cram into the parks (at any price) and the only real potential for growth down the line in terms of park attendance is a new park?

MK is the park with the biggest crowding problem and the only way to relieve that is build a second MK and assign guests to one or the other. If it were to be a park with a new theme I only see it compounding the MK problem with the additional guests it might draw.  Disney has done a lot of mixed use stuff in the area so I think a development of some sort is more likely than a new park.

I'll have to find the exact article, but there has been discussion that Disney Springs is effectively the fifth gate. This makes sense in many ways, actually, as it keeps people on property longer. There has been a lot of speculation about that purchase, but no confirmed rumors that I know of.

The big thing I got out the article is that by buying the article, it gives them the ability to change the wetlands they have now.  My hope is that they are not going to sub it out like they did right next to FW and with Bonnet Creek and other places.  Honestly, with all the fees they charge, I am over it.

21 minutes ago, geoffdaddy said:

I would prefer Disney spend some money on fixing Epcot vs building a new park. Worry about what you have first.

I 2nd this.  Epcot was my 2nd favorite part right behind MK.  Now I like MK, then AK.  I what a full retool of future world!! and I want it NOW

44 minutes ago, bdm said:

I 2nd this.  Epcot was my 2nd favorite part right behind MK.  Now I like MK, then AK.  I what a full retool of future world!! and I want it NOW

I agree with that, and we're the same in our family... we generally like to do MK and AK the best of all now.

If they were to add a 5th park is like to so a "thrill" park.   Big roller coasters, ones that do loops.  a river rapids ride that has some serious waves and turns., etc.  

we have taken many trips to wdw and Disneyland. With out extended family. My FIL takes us, 12-24 family members on a trip each year. And when we've talked about going to wdw the teenagers always say they would rather go to universal because they're to old for the kiddie rides at wdw.   

I can't see them ever building a thrill rides only park. Wasn't the one thing Wat wanted was a place where all ages could have fun together? I totally agree more thrill rides would be nice, but I think we will just have to settle for a few here and there (and I know Disney's "thrill rides" aren't on the same level as universal).

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

I can't see them ever building a thrill rides only park. Wasn't the one thing Wat wanted was a place where all ages could have fun together? I totally agree more thrill rides would be nice, but I think we will just have to settle for a few here and there (and I know Disney's "thrill rides" aren't on the same level as universal).

I think doing what Walt wanted left the building a long time ago. Other theme parks seem to be competing for the fastest/longest/biggest drop/most loops until you throw up thrill rides and I could see Disney joining in the competition for the $$ with a 5th park. Although with their building record, not for a few decades. At which time we'll probably all be time traveling anyway.

10 minutes ago, Seals said:

I think doing what Walt wanted left the building a long time ago. Other theme parks seem to be competing for the fastest/longest/biggest drop/most loops until you throw up thrill rides and I could see Disney joining in the competition for the $$ with a 5th park. Although with their building record, not for a few decades. At which time we'll probably all be time traveling anyway.

Or pushing up daisies !

9 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I get enough "You're old" stuff from the kids. I don't need to see it here too. :lol:

Just wait awhile.  Our oldest turned 45 two days ago, and our youngest will turn 35 in a few days.   We don't hear that any more.

I reminded our daughter that in 5 years she will be 50 ... I feel so old.

34 minutes ago, arthuruscg said:

At think point with Disney purchasing Marvel, we could see a Superhero's area in the potential 5th park. They could get a lot the thrill rides and family entertainment from the marvel books.

I wonder how that deal works with Universal already having a whole Marvel section of IoA?  I remember reading something back when Disney first bought Marvel that basically said they wouldn't directly compete - but I wonder if there's a time limit on that?

A super hero park would be a great opportunity for some cool theming and some thrill rides to boot.

Although part of me thinks that IF a 5th park comes, it won't be something that's already been done elsewhere or that will have them in competition with something existing right out of the gate.