Frozen Ever After, See the Video of the Ride

We got to ride it twice yesterday.

The opening of this ride was a disaster for anyone hoping to ride standby.

Fortunately, we had FP+'s with a 5:50 pm return time.  The ride was down when we arrived, but every indication was that it would be reopening soon.  We hung around, and were able to jump into the FP return queue as soon as the ride reopened.  Even with the FP+'s, we had about a 20 minute wait for each ride.

Only Twin #1 and I were able to make it, but we had FP+'s reserved for the whole family, and extra MB's for those family members, so we were able to ride twice.

At the point of the day when we got there, they were turning away all standby guests- only guests with FP+'s were allowed to ride.  Not cool for guests who have been waiting a year and a half to get to ride the Norway attraction again.

As for the ride itself we loved it.

The new queue is well done.  The old theater is gone, and they used that space for the new queue.  They made great use of the space. While they used the old Maelstrom track, you now board where you used to exit the boats, and the first two scenes you see in the video occur in the area between the old unload area and the old boarding area- which was not used for the Maelstrom ride.  That was a good move, and it extends the ride just a bit.

I did not find the part where you travel backwards to be lacking.  There are projections on both walls, and lighting effects above.  And, there is a blast of fog at the very end.  I didn't see that in the first video posted above, but I do see it in the second. 

When I first saw the new style of animatronics on the Mine Train ride, I wasn't a fan.  But, they did a great job with them here.

I give the ride a 10/10- it exceeded my expectations.  I like Maelstrom, and was sorry to see it go, but this was a good move on Disney's part.

The big issues are going to be long lines and technical breakdowns.  There is a lot of technology in this ride, and a lot of moving parts to keep working.  The frequent breakdowns on opening day do not bode well for the future.

TCD

29 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

We got to ride it twice yesterday.

The opening of this ride was a disaster for anyone hoping to ride standby.

Fortunately, we had FP+'s with a 5:50 pm return time.  The ride was down when we arrived, but every indication was that it would be reopening soon.  We hung around, and were able to jump into the FP return queue as soon as the ride reopened.  Even with the FP+'s, we had about a 20 minute wait for each ride.

Only Twin #1 and I were able to make it, but we had FP+'s reserved for the whole family, and extra MB's for those family members, so we were able to ride twice.

At the point of the day when we got there, they were turning away all standby guests- only guests with FP+'s were allowed to ride.  Not cool for guests who have been waiting a year and a half to get to ride the Norway attraction again.

As for the ride itself we loved it.

The new queue is well done.  The old theater is gone, and they used that space for the new queue.  They made great use of the space. While they used the old Maelstrom track, you now board where you used to exit the boats, and the first two scenes you see in the video occur in the area between the old unload area and the old boarding area- which was not used for the Maelstrom ride.  That was a good move, and it extends the ride just a bit.

I did not find the part where you travel backwards to be lacking.  There are projections on both walls, and lighting effects above.  And, there is a blast of fog at the very end.  I didn't see that in the first video posted above, but I do see it in the second. 

When I first saw the new style of animatronics on the Mine Train ride, I wasn't a fan.  But, they did a great job with them here.

I give the ride a 10/10- it exceeded my expectations.  I like Maelstrom, and was sorry to see it go, but this was a good move on Disney's part.

The big issues are going to be long lines and technical breakdowns.  There is a lot of technology in this ride, and a lot of moving parts to keep working.  The frequent breakdowns on opening day do not bode well for the future.

TCD

Great report Andrew. Without passes now,    We will not be able to experience this ride for a while.  From the videos, it looks great. I was kind of hoping for more scariness on the backwards part like the snow monster chasing the boat or something, but using the existing track, it looks like they did a great job. My wife and I were impressed by the animatronics. I figured they would use the technology from the mine train, but seeing the arms move with faces was great.  I agree with you, I for sea many technical problems with this ride.  At least by the time I get to ride it, it will be dusty and old with no wait times..lol. I will miss the oil rig from maelstrom . They could have left it and showed what happens when big business takes over Arendale.  We are doing blizzard beach for the first time on our week trip to the fort in July. So we will be covering some new Disney ground we have never been to. 

In anticipation of technical failures, Disney has pre installed strobe lights in all areas of the attraction with animatronics.  Think disco Yeti meets Arendale.

This ride truly made me feel more like an animated movie was happening right beside of me than any ride I've been on.  Whoever did the animatronics did great.  With both this one and the dwarfs I guess I'm being greedy because I want the rides to be longer.  I wonder what these animatronic faces look like when the projection goes off.  I want a behind the scenes tour of the making of them I think.

3 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

We are doing blizzard beach for the first time on our week trip to the fort in July. So we will be covering some new Disney ground we have never been to. 

TCD waterpark tip- if you can, early in your trip, buy a one day pass for each family member and get there at opening.  The park won't be crowded, and you can hit-up the stuff that takes a long time later.  Take the ski-lifts up to the top and do the family raft ride- you'll love it.  Do that first thing as you can, as the wait gets long on busy days.  The kids' area there is great, and I think your kids are getting to be just the right size for it.  When you get tired, go back to the Fort and take a break.  Then later that day, head back there.  Here's the tip- for just a few bucks more per ticket, you can upgrade your one day ticket to an after 2pm Florida Resident's annual pass, which will be good for a whole year from that day.  From then on, you will only be able to go in after 2- but it's good at both parks, and you will get a lot of use of it on a week long trip in July.  Plus, you got that first morning for free!

TCD

37 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I notice they reworked the line too. Part of the line goes through what used to be a village you stood around in if the movie was going on when you exited.

We had a discussion about this while in the queue- I initially thought that they were using the same unload area and same fake village- but we all agreed that there was more space between the boats and the village, so I think they tore down the old stuff along with the theater, and built a new wall and new fake village- the standby queue also goes through a Wandering Oaken's store which is new.  But, you definitely board the boats where you used to exit.  And the new exit is immediately adjacent to that.

TCD

I saw yesterday where the ride was down several times.  In fact, when I checked the WDW Lines app (not Disney's) last night, it was down again and wasn't supposed to be up again until 8:58.  That was over an hour (it was around 7ish) wait.  Holly Hannah.  If I had a kid that really wanted to see that ride, that would be really taxing on said child to put up with that line, fast pass or no fast pass.

Just sayin

On June 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD waterpark tip- if you can, early in your trip, buy a one day pass for each family member and get there at opening.  The park won't be crowded, and you can hit-up the stuff that takes a long time later.  Take the ski-lifts up to the top and do the family raft ride- you'll love it.  Do that first thing as you can, as the wait gets long on busy days.  The kids' area there is great, and I think your kids are getting to be just the right size for it.  When you get tired, go back to the Fort and take a break.  Then later that day, head back there.  Here's the tip- for just a few bucks more per ticket, you can upgrade your one day ticket to an after 2pm Florida Resident's annual pass, which will be good for a whole year from that day.  From then on, you will only be able to go in after 2- but it's good at both parks, and you will get a lot of use of it on a week long trip in July.  Plus, you got that first morning for free!

TCD

We already bought our tickets. I should have did more research. I did something stupid but reserved one of the polar patios. It cost me an arm and leg but the wife and kids wanted a place to chill out since we plan on staying all day.  I guess you get a private deck with chairs.  Refillable mugs,a safe and a fridge full of water. It's bought and paid so we'll see how it goes. I'll look into upgrading to the after 2pm

47 minutes ago, Starbuc71 said:

We already bought our tickets. I should have did more research. I did something stupid but reserved one of the polar patios. It cost me an arm and leg but the wife and kids wanted a place to chill out since we plan on staying all day.  I guess you get a private deck with chairs.  Refillable mugs,a safe and a fridge full of water. It's bought and paid so we'll see how it goes. I'll look into upgrading to the after 2pm

Those polar patios look cool. You'll enjoy it, and it will be nice to have a base camp. I'm pretty sure you can still upgrade those tickets if you want to.  You have to use them first though. 

TCD

1 minute ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

There can only be one Delsa. DIT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That kinda what I was thinking. Strobe lights to disorient you while Delsa will instruct you on how to exit the ride.

On 6/23/2016 at 4:59 PM, Starbuc71 said:

We just did a week of water parks and the Fort it was great.