Rocky Shoreline is now replacing sandy shores at the Lagoon.

Thanks to WDW Today, there are photos of the new construction that has started at the Grand Floridian.  I will be there next week and will post some more eyewitness photos and give you a Floridian Fiend Perspective starting Thursday.

Until then, please enjoy this article.  I'll post some and you can clicky the link for the rest.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/07/photos-rocky-shorline-replaces-sand-at-disneys-grand-floridian-resort/

PHOTOS: Rocky Shorline Replaces Sand at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort

image-74-1200x900.jpeg

This I like.  The sharp rocks will be a deterrent to wading.  Ideally, they would realize the rope fences will not be necessary and will remove them, but that is unlikely.

36 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

This I like.  The sharp rocks will be a deterrent to wading.  Ideally, they would realize the rope fences will not be necessary and will remove them, but that is unlikely.

I bet the fences stay because people will still go on the rocks sharp or not.

I wonder if the rocks might also act as some type of a deterrent to the alligators. While I know they could go over them when added to the fence, which they can also climb over, the rocks don't make it worth the gators effort to try. I could also see where it would inhibit them sunning in the space between the fence and water to to its roughness.

5 hours ago, keith_h said:

I wonder if the rocks might also act as some type of a deterrent to the alligators. While I know they could go over them when added to the fence, which they can also climb over, the rocks don't make it worth the gators effort to try. I could also see where it would inhibit them sunning in the space between the fence and water to to its roughness.

Nothing is going to deter them if stupid people, including their staff, keep feeding them.

However, it is another barrier.  I am not really sure Disney is worried so much about erosion from waves (because it is really minimal as erosion goes) as they are rising water levels over the course of many years.  See, water levels have risen over the years of existence of the man-made and natural lakes that are connected.  If you doubt this, take a gander of the boat (or remains of) that is on what was Discovery Island.  It was on a regular beach many moons ago.  Now it is partially covered and there is no beach.  Look up old pictures, you can clearly see.  What would happen, if anything is that the fencing would become irrelevant after many years and would have to be moved back.   It helps with rising waters, and in this case, humans. Most vacationing humans are not going to want to climb over a barrier of sharp rocks to get to water and then back again to "just wade in the pretty water".   A benefit with it too is that it will harbor new life for the birds to feast on in the coming year, increasing the smell for people not to go near, lol.

Most gators are not going to be leaving the water unless there is prey, or during the winter when they need to sun themselves to keep up their body temp.  And if they sun themselves, it's usually in a semi secluded area where there are few humans. I've seen quite a few on steam and riverbanks while kayaking and they usually go into the water as soon as they see me. 

And yes there are the occasional rebellious gators that you see on the interweb walking across roads, climbing trees and wandering around golf courses, but those are a lot rarer then the ones you don't see.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Most gators are not going to be leaving the water unless there is prey, or during the winter when they need to sun themselves to keep up their body temp.  And if they sun themselves, it's usually in a semi secluded area where there are few humans. I've seen quite a few on steam and riverbanks while kayaking and they usually go into the water as soon as they see me. 

And yes there are the occasional rebellious gators that you see on the interweb walking across roads, climbing trees and wandering around golf courses, but those are a lot rarer then the ones you don't see.

On the whole, gators really don't want to be near humans.  That is unless, of course, they are fed by said humans.

And there is always the exceptions to the rule, as there are with humans as well.  I before E except after C and so on.

I think the rocks with the fence look pretty good.  The rocks sort of make the fence/distance to the water make sense.  Definitely a deterrent to any creature going in or out of the water.  If it looks decent and keeps the beach area available for fireworks watching I am willing to accept it.

Not that I had any say in it...:unsure:

Only problem with the rocks is snakes love to get in areas like that. About 5 years ago here in Texas a 2 year old died from a snake bite. The snake was under a rock, ether in a park or where they were camping. (Can't remember which)

Good. If people (especially those who don't live in Florida and know everything about alligators) shouldn't go in the water, then don't make it look like a beach. That is much more effective than a "no swimming" sign on inviting white sand that leads to a body of water. 

45 minutes ago, Seals said:

Good. If people (especially those who don't live in Florida and know everything about alligators) shouldn't go in the water, then don't make it look like a beach. That is much more effective than a "no swimming" sign on inviting white sand that leads to a body of water. 

Yup, gone are the good old days of wide open spaces, unmarred by fences.  They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...

2 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

Yep, just another case of someone protecting us from ourselves. Sad

I think things would've gone differently if that family had just seen a gator and the child wasn't killed.  Disney probably would've gone with just the warning signs and not the fencing. The death was a big black eye and a public relations nightmare for them, and now they are definitely going overboard to compensate for the bad publicity.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Yup, gone are the good old days of wide open spaces, unmarred by fences.  They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...

Since you quoted me in your reply, I'll clarify that my "Good" referred to the rocky shore that was mentioned in the original post. I'm not a big fan of fences, and especially not paving paradise, but the addition of natural elements that deter and therefore reinforce the message of the sign rather than entice in conflicting message to the sign is a step in the right direction imho.

16 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Only problem with the rocks is snakes love to get in areas like that. About 5 years ago here in Texas a 2 year old died from a snake bite. The snake was under a rock, ether in a park or where they were camping. (Can't remember which)

Birds love snakes.  However, you have a very valid point for the stupid portion of the human population.  Disney is relieving one problem and adding another, which is water moccasins.

3 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Agree. I'm more of a "personal responsibility" type. Warn me that there are bad things in nature  (the lake). If I ignore the warning, consequences are mine to  bare.

Oh, I am too, however, there are a ton of lawyer types that would disagree with you.  They take up most of the air time on TV these days.  They also drive up our insurance costs on a daily bases.  

2 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

Oh, I am too, however, there are a ton of lawyer types that would disagree with you.  They take up most of the air time on TV these days.  They also drive up our insurance costs on a daily bases.  

1-800-ASKGARY!  I think a lot of people have these TV lawyer types on the #1 speed dial in their cell phones.