Supposedly some new rule enforcement coming

would it be hard for them to put a swipe card thingy at the pool entrance so you'd get no admittance without it?

I wouldn't think it would be that hard.  At Disney's Hilton Head Resort, you have to swipe your card to enter the pool areas, the beach house, and to get back onto the grounds from the beach.  It's kind of a pain, but I'd rather do that than have people swimming there that aren't guests of the resort.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize if this has been discussed before, BUT:

When were the return gates removed from the front?  Why?

I know the Poly gives timed passes when we drive over to Knoa Cafe for breakfast.  "Assuming" this is to prevent people parking for the day there.  The contemporary did the same thing when they had the arcade/fun center before the Wave took its place.

So all that rambling to ask why did they losen access to the Fort?  I want to say the return gates were there in May 2001, so it must have been post 9/11.  And that dosen't make any since.  losen security post 9/11? 

I'm confused. :-\

The gate you are referring to was in front of the Outpost Bus stop & was removed in early 2003, along with the guard station on Vista Drive. When that happened the parking lot was divided into 2 lots - a day visitor lot that was open to anyone and the inner lot that could only be accessed through the guard.

In the late spring/early summer last year (2010) a new gate was erected at the entrance to the day visitor lot - on the road that went in front of the old kennel.  That can only be opened by a KTTW card, a bus transponder, or a pissed-off guest that drives too fast and rips the gate off the pole (which happens frequently).

All other traffic goes through the guard - which is as efficient as trying to fill a bucket that has a hole in it.  In my experience all I need to do is show my drivers license to the guard and into the Fort I go.  No explanation asked for as to why I need to come in - even when I have my golf cart in tow!

As far as the parking pass at PR & CR, those are monorail resorts and people got wise to that in a hurry.  The parking lots were filled when the resorts weren't.  Disney is not going to miss out on the opportunity to charge $14.00 per car to park.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, BUT:

When were the return gates removed from the front?  Why?

I know the Poly gives timed passes when we drive over to Knoa Cafe for breakfast.  "Assuming" this is to prevent people parking for the day there.  The contemporary did the same thing when they had the arcade/fun center before the Wave took its place.

So all that rambling to ask why did they losen access to the Fort?  I want to say the return gates were there in May 2001, so it must have been post 9/11.  And that dosen't make any since.  losen security post 9/11? 

I'm confused. :-\

The gate you are referring to was in front of the Outpost Bus stop & was removed in early 2003, along with the guard station on Vista Drive. When that happened the parking lot was divided into 2 lots - a day visitor lot that was open to anyone and the inner lot that could only be accessed through the guard.

In the late spring/early summer last year (2010) a new gate was erected at the entrance to the day visitor lot - on the road that went in front of the old kennel.  That can only be opened by a KTTW card, a bus transponder, or a pissed-off guest that drives too fast and rips the gate off the pole (which happens frequently).

All other traffic goes through the guard - which is as efficient as trying to fill a bucket that has a hole in it.  In my experience all I need to do is show my drivers license to the guard and into the Fort I go.  No explanation asked for as to why I need to come in - even when I have my golf cart in tow!

As far as the parking pass at PR & CR, those are monorail resorts and people got wise to that in a hurry.  The parking lots were filled when the resorts weren't.  Disney is not going to miss out on the opportunity to charge $14.00 per car to park.

When we stopped in at the Fort to meet Lou the guard did ask why we were there and asked for a drivers license. Maybe there is one guard on the ball there :'(

As long as there is money to be made, there is no solution.

Personally, I'm glad I have access to the Fort without actually staying there.  I can go there and back home 4 times on a tank of gas!!  :'(

So that means I will get to see you a bunch of times over the 4th right :popo:

I honestly don't mind folks visiting the Fort by BUS, golf cart, or on foot.  I thought the dual parking lot solution was perfect.  Folks could park for meals, horseback riding visiting, etc, no questions asked, that was fine.  The guards could then restrict the front lot to Fort guests only.  If implemented properly, it kept day guest VEHICLES out of the Fort loops and also illegally parking places they shouldn't. The new way STINKS!!!  The guards have to be more relaxed about letting folks in the parking lot for all the reasons mentioned above, but now anybody can drive their vehicle through my "hotel hallways" "per se".  I HATE IT!!  I've also written several letters about it and have gotten a call from "Disney Executive Offices" not sure if it will do any good though.

All I need is a site #!!  :D

300 something is the best I can do :banana:

Just put out your sign or some purple flamingos - or your dogs.  I'll find you, my pretty!!!  And your little dogs, too!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEjzNgPDCUJP1twrLrAn4lY2SY1pXFHrmkeHQG_IdGoYDDNkvY&t=1

Believe me I won't be hard to find. I just hope you don't hear my little dogs too much. I do plan on bringing my no bark birdhouse. It works like a charm here. They at the point that all I have to say is no barking and they shut up. For 3 of them this will be their first Fort experience and 2 of them haven't traveled at all yet. I plan on a couple of weekend trips to see how they do :banana:

I honestly don't mind folks visiting the Fort by BUS, golf cart, or on foot.  I thought the dual parking lot solution was perfect.  Folks could park for meals, horseback riding visiting, etc, no questions asked, that was fine.  The guards could then restrict the front lot to Fort guests only.  If implemented properly, it kept day guest VEHICLES out of the Fort loops and also illegally parking places they shouldn't. The new way STINKS!!!  The guards have to be more relaxed about letting folks in the parking lot for all the reasons mentioned above, but now anybody can drive their vehicle through my "hotel hallways" "per se".  I HATE IT!!  I've also written several letters about it and have gotten a call from "Disney Executive Offices" not sure if it will do any good though.

I wrote and suggested that they re-open the day lot and construct a "bus only" entrance.  It could easily be done and it would make everyone happy.  Of course, I also suggested that they put a bus access lane on the back side of the Outpost for internal buses only, but, both letters were responded to with the perfunctory "thank you for writing, but this has been classified as we don't give a crap about what you think" letter.

I propose that all resorts go back to showing resort specific ID, give a valid verifiable reason to be at another resort (valid dining confirmation #, activity #, etc) or allow timed access for shopping. For those wanting to extend then park at downtown Disney and bus over. Other resorts could park at the magic kingdom lot and use the TTC buses.

And this would apply to all resorts.

This allowing anyone to drive into the resort sucks!  Does Disney security allow any and all to wonder in hotel hallways?  I trust fellow campers more than outsider "touring" the resort.

And as far as the pool, if as a paying camper I couldn't use the aminities due to "outsiders". Well let's just say everyone within hearing distance would know how I felt.  Up to and until the real POPO showed up.

I just don't think it's right that someone is in the resort that has no business there. There have been a few activities where a man met a young girl at the fort and had sex with her in a laundry room and some other things I can't exactly remember.

A couple years ago during our 4th of July visit my daughter and 2 friends were in the hot tub. There were 3 young boys in the tub with them. One of them stood up grabbing his crotch asking if she wanted this and other obscenities. They didn't know I was on the other side of the newly planted trees. These 3 no more belonged at the fort than the tooth fairy. The girls got out went to the pool and they followed them where I proceeded to tell them the fort would be doubling as a graveyard if they didn't leave them alone.

I'm not saying a registered guest wouldn't engage in activity that a complete stranger wouldn't but at least you might know who said person is.  It would be very hard considering the resorts have restaurants and activities that anyone staying on or off property can participate in. I agree with the OP that if you're entering a resort you should have an activity number and if you just want to go to that resort to look around they should at best have a copy of your ID on file in case something illiegal does happen. It's just more work and it's more apparent WDW would rather pocket those extra bucks than protect the guests already paying them.

The guards at the resorts 99% of the time are doing nothing. All they seem to care about is sitting back down after they see your id flash. DW IMO doesn't care about guests anymore. Once you do get past the guard it takes 30 minutes for a foreign exchange student who doesn't speak english well to check you in and they have no idea what the fort.

All I need is a site #!!  :worship:

She will have mine, and Lorna's and Donnie's and Kelly's and ........ :banana:

Does that mean I have a special reason for being in the Fort?  :banana:

And for the record...yes, me & my DH will take our bikes or our golf cart over to the Fort for a few hours or on rare occasions - for the day.  We ride around to soak up the ambiance of the Fort, stop & talk with people we know, hand out FF.Net cards, get a lone rider chicken dinner - and - if we are riding bikes in the middle of the summer, we will stop at the cabin pool to take a dip and cool off.  I refuse to use the big pool for many reasons - one of them being - too many people means yukky water. 

On busy holidays, we don't go near the Fort and we don't make ressies to camp (okay - EXCEPT Halloween).  4th of July 2009 did me in for going over for the day on a major holiday. Even though we had a great time riding around and visiting the various Fiends, getting out of the parking lot after the fireworks was a nail biting experience that I don't want to repeat.

Like Carol said, I too wish they would go back to having a day-visitor lot.  There is something about "forbidden fruits" and trying to pull one over on the guard that is just too tempting for too many people.

I don't know about the rest of you, but, if I'm staying at the Fort, have my own picnic table at my site, my own kitchen in my RV, and my own grill, why would I want to set up a picnic at a pavillion? That's just too much work to haul all the crap there & back.  If you're having a large group at your site for a party & need extra picnic tables, the Fort will bring them to you.  All you have to do is call the front desk and make the arrangements - for no extra charge! I just see no reason for any large group of people to be at the pavillion all day and into the night unless they are trying to pull one over on the Fort.

Personally I think everyone should have to show resort id or confirmation of a reservations to even use Disney transportation  :'(

That used to be the rule a long time ago. ???

Yes it was.

We should all go and try and use the pavillion on the 4th and if a bunch of non-campers are there we should have security remove them and if they don't we should all go up front to the office and request a refund for the day of the 4th since we would not be getting the benefit of the facilities for that day.

What ever happens, it will be interesting to see what rules (new or old) come up & how the rules are enforced.

I realize that all are on vacation & we are there to enjoy ourselves, but not at the expense of others. Like Jen says, they used to check everyone's resort ID before you got on the FW boat, but I remember how irate people became if they did not have theirs with them & had to go back for it. And there were those who had some of their id's for their party, but not all, and had to go back to get them. Then they relaxed the rule to one ID per your group, then no ID required at all.

It would be nice if they would go back to resort ID's required, even if it just for the amenities offered by the resorts and even if only during those holiday periods when we get slammed by outsiders.

Has anyone heard anything more about Holiday decoration restrictions? 

I wonder what would happen if a bunch of people all carrying towels, chairs and coolers got off the FW bus at the Wilderness Lodge and proceeded to set up shop at the WL pool?....

things that make you go hmmmm.......

:D :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I wonder what would happen if a bunch of people all carrying towels, chairs and coolers got off the FW bus at the Wilderness Lodge and proceeded to set up shop at the WL pool?....

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Just tell them that since you couldn't use the pool "you were paying for" due to freeloaders, you are going to use another pool - or Disney can give you a refund! hmmmmm.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Just tell them that since you couldn't use the pool "you were paying for" due to freeloaders, you are going to use another pool - or Disney can give you a refund! hmmmmm.

And you know who will get in trouble us, not the freeloaders. Just the way it works.