4 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Flu must be really bad this year........

:lol::lol:

7 hours ago, bhall said:

I don't think newspapers and news stations proofread anymore.

Sadly... I agree.  It's amazing, just how many errors you can find in print especially.  I just don't get it...

I would love to have seen the reaction in the studio when that graphic went up.  It was probably a lot of people rolling on the ground laughing, and some person in a corner cowering in embarrassment.

Oh and everyone up here knows that you put chains on your tires when the snot gets too deep.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I was thinking the same thing.  There are always lots of 4x4's in the ditch when it gets icy.  

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

People get over-confident think 4WD will take them anywhere.

Like you said, on ice it will take you to the nearest ditch if you're not cautious.

The problem with 4WD is it lets you get going in situations where 2WD could leave you stuck. Then people forget that the number of drive wheels has no effect on stopping distance and are going too fast for the conditions when it comes time to stop. I've owned rear wheel, front wheel and four wheel drive vehicles in areas that had snowy winters. For on road use I only had one occasion where 4WD was really any better than FWD and that was in Colorado after 3 feet of snow and I had to go pick up a daughter before the roads had been plowed. Even now I'm not sure it was the 4WD as much as higher ground clearance of the SUV.

As to the recommendation not to use 4WD might have to do with many 4WD systems having a rigid drive system. On ice if one side loses traction while the other has it you are more likely to fishtail as there is nothing to push back against it (like with dirt or snow). I would expect this to be a problem with AWD as most of those are computer controlled to adjust wheel speed to keep the vehicle straight.

On 1/3/2018 at 1:27 PM, keith_h said:

The problem with 4WD is it lets you get going in situations where 2WD could leave you stuck. Then people forget that the number of drive wheels has no effect on stopping distance and are going too fast for the conditions when it comes time to stop.

Exactly. I've lost count of how many 4WD SUVs I've had slide into the ditch on the side of the highway. And I love it when the driver say's they crashed because the road was too slippery.... which is when I point to all the cars going by and ask why aren't there any other cars in the ditch next to yours?   LOL

That's pretty horrifying.

It's also why I'm unbelievably glad we left the TT in FL last month.  Our ride home without it was as snowy as in that pic and it was dicey enough with just the truck.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that our trip home next month with the TT will be weather-free.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 7:03 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

With the sticker on the window of that truck it could possibly been a transport driver delivering a new rig, looked like a wild ride,

That was my exact thought when I saw the picture up close.  When I saw it on the television, I was too busy giggling because they cannot tell the difference between a tractor trailer and a travel trailer, lol.