Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Well, wife's family moved to Florida last month and she plans on visiting them often. Since we have the dogs they need to come too.  Long trips in the truck, though comfortable in the F350 Dually,  are cramped and cause extra work to pack food, move dogs in and out and make stopping at a cracker barrel to overnight a pain if its hot or cold because you either sweat all night or freeze until it warms up. 

I see many benefits of the class a but love love love my reflection 5th wheel and truck. 

It just so happens my wife's current car can be flat towed.......

I have read some other forums but value the Fiends opinion since many of us travel long distance to get to the promised land. 

Let me hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we just sold our trailer on Tuesday and pick up the Newmar Mountain Aire (OK, 2012 - I'm not rich) September 10th.

 

We always travel with 2 German Shepherds as well as at least one cat so a Class A seems to be the right fit.

 

Look for the floorplan that fits your needs and go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about this before and in the end I decided the owner ship of a motor home would be to much of a pain.  Just from the service and maintenance side. I would go crazy waiting on the side of the road waiting for a special tow truck just to be able to lift the motor home to change a tire. But I know people love class A so go with what  makes you happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to consider is some folks complain about all the rattles they hear in a motorhome going down the road, plates, glasses, even liquor bottles. Pros are not having to get out in lousy weather to use at night and bathroom breaks. Good luck on your decision. Hershey RV Show is in 2 weeks for searching, at least floorplans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah... we've debated on this one as well.  I can see many conveniences in a MOHO.  For us (and long trips) the two biggest pros are to have a bathroom and the ease of pulling over for overnight parking/quick sleep. 

In the end, we opted to stay with a 5th wheel because we had the truck and I the idea of having another engine to maintain made me very nervous.  Plus, with two kiddos the 5th wheel gave us more space. HOWEVER, I do see a class A in our future (when my babies are grown :(... makes this mama sad).

All that to say:  I understand the draw! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All good points.  We'd be looking at a gasser with a v10 (had a truck with one and loved it)

So far mainly been looking at Forest River Georgetowns in a 377, 378 floorplan  but I'll need to go back a few years to make it doable.  

I wish I could find one with an outdoor kitchen, I love that feature on my Reflection.  

I guess I'll know it when I see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rene an I have been talking about going to a diesel Class C or possibly a smaller Class A after she retires and to put her FWD Mazda CX-5 on a tow dolly for local driving.  I don't know what it is but hitching and unhitching a TOAD just seems like less work than a trailer. I know its not but perception is everything, right? We've seen a few plans that would fit us well and have plenty of room for the two of us and the occasional grandchild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I guess I'll know it when I see it. 

This is the key.  We looked for many years and knew it when we saw it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We switched from a fifth wheel to a class A almost three years ago.  For us it has been great and glad we did.

I needed the dually capacity only for the fifth wheel so I was able to get a half ton to tow.  Much easier to park in some of the small towns we visit.  

We can also bring our golf cart with us to the Fort in the back of the truck now.

The motorhome has a lot of space underneath so we can carry more camping “stuff” 🙂.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dieseldave said:

We switched from a fifth wheel to a class A almost three years ago.  For us it has been great and glad we did.

I needed the dually capacity only for the fifth wheel so I was able to get a half ton to tow.  Much easier to park in some of the small towns we visit.  

We can also bring our golf cart with us to the Fort in the back of the truck now.

The motorhome has a lot of space underneath so we can carry more camping “stuff” 🙂.   

That's where I would be with my dually.  Is it a bummer to see the Moho engine and tranny sit so much? I like the 5th wheel because I know the truck in and out and can tell when it needs attention because I drive it every day.  Something about jumping in something that sat for 3 months and driving 1000 miles just seems scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

That's where I would be with my dually.  Is it a bummer to see the Moho engine and tranny sit so much? I like the 5th wheel because I know the truck in and out and can tell when it needs attention because I drive it every day.  Something about jumping in something that sat for 3 months and driving 1000 miles just seems scary.

I didn’t drive the dually for a month or more sometimes so the motorhome sitting isn’t much different.  I usually do a pre-trip inspection just for piece of mind such as checking belts, hoses, etc.  My theory of thinking is that if something mechanical wasn’t broke when I got home from the previous trip it usually break when sitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had 1 tent, 2 pop-ups, 1 travel trailer, 1 5th wheel and now the motorhome...  I can say that each has its own set of specific things that make them unique and enjoyable to use.  

For us, the motorhome has been the best choice so far.  When we travel, I feel that I am not as tired at the end of the day or whenever we get where we're going.  I found that when I was pulling some sort of trailer, I was more mentally tired then physically tired due to the heightened sense of keeping an eye on the trailer and all the idiot drivers around me.  Don't get me wrong, I still have to keep an eye out now, but it is somehow different. Also I think the ride is better overall will the MH, no bucking and chucking going down the road. If we want to stop and eat, or just have a snack while on the road, my trusty "flight attendant" gets up and grabs something from the fridge.  Really the only time we have to stop is for fuel or if I need to visit the "facility".

I think they all are great RV's to have, you just have give it a try to see how it works out for you and your situation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Duane said:

We have had 1 tent, 2 pop-ups, 1 travel trailer, 1 5th wheel and now the motorhome...  I can say that each has its own set of specific things that make them unique and enjoyable to use.  

For us, the motorhome has been the best choice so far.  When we travel, I feel that I am not as tired at the end of the day or whenever we get where we're going.  I found that when I was pulling some sort of trailer, I was more mentally tired then physically tired due to the heightened sense of keeping an eye on the trailer and all the idiot drivers around me.  Don't get me wrong, I still have to keep an eye out now, but it is somehow different. Also I think the ride is better overall will the MH, no bucking and chucking going down the road. If we want to stop and eat, or just have a snack while on the road, my trusty "flight attendant" gets up and grabs something from the fridge.  Really the only time we have to stop is for fuel or if I need to visit the "facility".

I think they all are great RV's to have, you just have give it a try to see how it works out for you and your situation...

Ahhh... now see, that would be nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went right into a Class A so I never experienced trailering anything. I tow a 2011 Chevy Tahoe 4 down and it works great. Some day when it's replace time I think I'd like to go back to a pickup I can put the golf cart in. We like being able to go to the bathroom while on the road and my "flight attendant" will also fix me lunch to go. We get about 9.5 to 10mpg consistently- diesel. It's hard to compare because people got their vehicles for different reasons. I tell people ours is our condo. We go to a park as close to what we want to see as we can and use the Tahoe for the sightseeing duty just as if we were at a hotel or lodge.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the v10 could pull an f150. Otherwise my wife has a Ford Edge and we thought about getting a cricket golf cart someday. I could get a full size gas cart if I could pull the 150. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I wonder if the v10 could pull an f150. Otherwise my wife has a Ford Edge and we thought about getting a cricket golf cart someday. I could get a full size gas cart if I could pull the 150. 

It's been several years since I looked into all this but if I remember right I think the f150 will be to heavy. That was another reason we didn't do the motor home. Unless we went with a diesel we couldn't bring the jeep and the golf cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LONE-STAR said:

It's been several years since I looked into all this but if I remember right I think the f150 will be to heavy. That was another reason we didn't do the motor home. Unless we went with a diesel we couldn't bring the jeep and the golf cart.

5000 lbs of towing,  edge is 4000, f150 is 4600. I'd be getting close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

5000 lbs of towing,  edge is 4000, f150 is 4600. I'd be getting close.

That's better then I thought, the one we were looking at was 3500 to 4000 max. As far as the f150 goes we just traded the wife's wrangler on a 2019 f150 4x4 last month we really like it, first half ton   truck we ever had. My daughter still prefers riding in my mega cab though.  But I really like the 20.5 mpg in that f150.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.....picking up a 2013 Bounder 35k in Jacksonville on Saturday! 

Got a real good deal on it as long as it's as advertised.  

I also have a line on 2 other coaches that are at amazing prices from private owners if anyone else is looking.  

The Reflection sold in about 10 minutes even with the R Title....guess I should have asked from more!

All in all its about an even swap with the 5th wheel and selling my dually.  Now looking to see if we should flat tow the wife's Edge or get an F150. 

It did cross my mind to sneak to the Fort for one night but that may be asking for trouble with a rig we dont know.

If it all pans out I'll update.  

Thanks for everyone's opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations. Hope it works out for you. Even the Fort with problems is better than no Fort. If the new rig can pull it I would go with the f150 and put a golf cart in the bed.

Have fun what ever you do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Ok.....picking up a 2013 Bounder 35k in Jacksonville on Saturday! 

Got a real good deal on it as long as it's as advertised.  

I also have a line on 2 other coaches that are at amazing prices from private owners if anyone else is looking.  

The Reflection sold in about 10 minutes even with the R Title....guess I should have asked from more!

All in all its about an even swap with the 5th wheel and selling my dually. 

Sounds like the stars all aligned - congrats!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Ok.....picking up a 2013 Bounder 35k in Jacksonville on Saturday! 

Got a real good deal on it as long as it's as advertised.  

I also have a line on 2 other coaches that are at amazing prices from private owners if anyone else is looking.  

The Reflection sold in about 10 minutes even with the R Title....guess I should have asked from more!

All in all its about an even swap with the 5th wheel and selling my dually.  Now looking to see if we should flat tow the wife's Edge or get an F150. 

It did cross my mind to sneak to the Fort for one night but that may be asking for trouble with a rig we dont know.

If it all pans out I'll update.  

Thanks for everyone's opinions. 

Congrats on the new rig!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, Duane said:

I found that when I was pulling some sort of trailer, I was more mentally tired then physically tired due to the heightened sense of keeping an eye on the trailer and all the idiot drivers around me. 

FWIW this is/was a biggie for us. Towing 1400 miles on interstates with lots of knuckleheads is super stressful - even more for DH than me, and I'm the one doing almost all of the driving! We break up our trip to the Fort mostly because DH is too stressed to sleep while I drive so we eventually have to pull over for a nap.  

Eventually we want something drivable largely for that very reason (A or C) but we're not there yet.  So our plan B was to stick with towable but smaller this time.  We haven't taken it on a big trip yet, but we did drive it 3 hours home from the dealer through the VT mountains and I hardly knew it was there!!  It reminded me of when we used to tow our hybrid with an Expedition - easy peasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...