Spring Break 2011 @ The Fort By TCD

There is another installment on the way.

Photos are uploading as we speak.

Before I get to that, though, there was an encounter that I forgot to mention.

It happened on Saturday.

When I was out on patrol on Saturday, I ran into a fellow driving a really cool Herbie the Love Bug golf cart.

It was Starbuc71.

From that other place.

We had a very nice chat.

He's a great guy.

We talked about this place.

I guess something happened here that made him feel less than welcome.

I don't know what.

But whatever it is, it's a shame.

If you are reading this Starbuc71- Hi!

I hope to see you around the Fort again soon.

And, while I am talking about Fiends from the past, I'll give a shout out to those who are reading along.

I'll bet there's some.

Like BamaEd and Frank and Denise.

Hi guys!

I miss you.

I wish you all would come over here.

OK, I'm done with that.

Now, back to the report.

TCD

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just plain ridiculous. What the heck is going on here? TCD leaves for months and then comes back writing 4 or 5 trip reports at once?!? Is TCD getting paid to write trip reports?! Conspiracy!

It's not just your run of the mill Hippie, it's the accordion playing hippie or APH, that are the problem. Drove through the 3000 loop today and saw this sign. See, management is listening. I didn't s

Ok, so I was nosy and called the fish feeder place. I talked to a nice gentleman who told me there are a total of 4 fish feeders on Disney Property. The solar panel on top charges a little battery tha

We talked about this place. I guess something happened here that made him feel less than welcome. I don't know what. But whatever it is, it's a shame.

I for one am interested to know the circumstances that made Starbuc71 feel unwelcome.

I, like a lot of others, have been here from the very beginning and can't recall an instance where someone was made to feel unwelcome by a poster and that poster wasn't taken to task by the vast majority of us. Just look at the welcome someone gets in the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

As I recently told someone that refuses to join us, you shouldn't let one person or persons dictate what you're going to do or not do.

Also remember our roots, being Snarky.

I for one am interested to know the circumstances that made Starbuc71 feel unwelcome.

I, like a lot of others, have been here from the very beginning and can't recall an instance where someone was made to feel unwelcome by a poster and that poster wasn't taken to task by the vast majority of us. Just look at the welcome someone gets in the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

As I recently told someone that refuses to join us, you shouldn't let one person or persons dictate what you're going to do or not do.

I would be interested in an answer to this too. I remember when this was brought up when it happened. I searched the entire board and could find nothing in the least unwelcome involving anyone. That's not how we roll.

I would be interested in an answer to this too. I remember when this was brought up when it happened. I searched the entire board and could find nothing in the least unwelcome involving anyone. That's not how we roll.

I had heard this as well, and can't remember anything that would have made him feel unwelcome. I know there was a thread where he was asking about someone who sold golf carts @ the fort and people tried to direct him to members here who do the same thing. Don't know what could have turned him off by this, as we all try to help each other and try to suggest that we support our members. I couldn't find anything that would have made him feel unwelcome. But as I have learned thru my life, that you can't please all the people all the time. We are a varied group of people and all are a bit snarky, and I think almost everyone knows not to take offense to it, we mean no harm.

I had heard this as well, and can't remember anything that would have made him feel unwelcome. I know there was a thread where he was asking about someone who sold golf carts @ the fort and people tried to direct him to members here who do the same thing. Don't know what could have turned him off by this, as we all try to help each other and try to suggest that we support our members. I couldn't find anything that would have made him feel unwelcome. But as I have learned thru my life, that you can't please all the people all the time. We are a varied group of people and all are a bit snarky, and I think almost everyone knows not to take offense to it, we mean no harm.

I will not presume to speak for Starbuc71.

But, as we all know, perception is reality.

What I took away from our conversation is that he had posted a few things here, and was more or less ignored.

I don't think he was mad about it or anything- he just felt this place was not his cup of tea.

I can see where someone on the outside might feel overwhelmed, and maybe even intimidated by the thought of joining this nuthouse.

I have said all I care to about this topic.

Now, let's get back to the report in progress!

TCD

Great Job!

You have earned your TCD Junior Deputy Badge!

I wonder what will happen if they get a few more calls about the Fish Feeder?

Especially if KFK calls all hopped up on her prescription medication?

Thanks! I will wear my Deputy Badge with pride!!

If KFK is going to call I think she should record the conversation for all fiends to hear! LOL

I mentioned this briefly above.

But, I will mention it again here just so you know.

This post involves a lot of photos of water.

Bay Lake water in particular.

Perhaps a bit too much Bay Lake water.

But I like Bay Lake, and I have these photos to share.

So, I'm going to share them.

We left off with us leaving the Fort dock and heading over to the Contemporary Resort.

There's the Fort Wilderness marina fading off in the distance:

101_0288.jpg

And here we are out on the lake. This is one of the pontoon boats you can rent at the Fort. I haven't rented one of these before. It looks like fun:

101_0290.jpg

Here's some shots of Discovery Island. You can see that there is still a lot of "stuff" still there on the island:

101_0291.jpg

101_0292.jpg

101_0293.jpg

101_0294.jpg

As we motor past the island, we can see Wilderness Lodge off in the distance:

101_0295.jpg

Here at the tip of the island, you can see the remains of what looks like a very tall stockade fence:

101_0296.jpg

We got off the boat at the Contemporary Resort, and hopped the monorail to the Polynesian. We ate lunch at the quick serve place there. We passed on the Dole Whip, as we were going to get ice cream in the MK later. From there, we headed to the MK, where we spent a few uneventful hours. We picked up Fastpasses for Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain to use later in the evening, and then it was back to the Fort. Which means another boat ride. And more Bay Lake photos.

On the way back to the Fort, we passed by the Lake Patrol docking area. River Country is just to the left of that chain link fence:

101_0299.jpg

And here's River Country, as seen from the water of Bay Lake:

101_0300.jpg

Things have really grown up here (remember the nature abhors a vacuum thing?), but if you look to the right of this photo, you can see the top of the old Whoop and Holler slide:

101_0302.jpg

Here's another look at River Country:

101_0303.jpg

And, here's that Shoe Tree, to the far left in this photo:

101_0305.jpg

You can see a pair of sneakers dangling from the Shoe Tree in this photo:

101_0307.jpg

This is the shore line in this area. This is where the new DVC resort is rumored to be going. Right here:

101_0308.jpg

The DVC people will have a great view of the Shoe Tree. You can see the shoes clearly here on the left of this photo:

101_0309.jpg

Maybe they should call the new resort Disney's Shoe Tree Resort on Bay Lake?

Because there may be big changes coming here, I snapped photos of the shore line as we traveled along:

101_0310.jpg

101_0311.jpg

101_0312.jpg

101_0313.jpg

Excuse me a moment while I set up my soap box.

OK-

I think it would be a crying shame to destroy the natural beauty of this small Cypress Head on Bay Lake by building a DVC resort.

The people who designed Fort Wilderness got this right.

They left this small piece of natural beauty alone.

And, it has stood here just like this ever since the WDW resort opened 40 years ago.

Leave it alone!

OK, I'm down off of the soap box.

And, we are back at the Fort marina:

101_0314.jpg

101_0315.jpg

101_0316.jpg

Where is there a more beautiful place in all of WDW than this?

Nowhere.

That's where.

When we got back, we took a look around the Settlement.

Evening was approaching, so it was time to break out the horses and carriages:

101_0317.jpg

101_0318.jpg

101_0319.jpg

When we headed out through the 100 loop, we noticed a party going on at this site:

101_0320.jpg

They had a clown and everything.

But, somehow I missed getting a photo of the clown.

Sorry.

From here, it was back to our site to chill for a bit.

It was Extra Magic Hours at the MK Sunday night.

The MK was going to be open until 3 am.

And we were planning to be there until then.

That is a hard thing to do after a long day.

Do you think we made it?

You'll find out in the next update.

And there will be no more Bay Lake or Shoe Tree photos.

I promise.

TCD

When I was out on patrol on Saturday, I ran into a fellow driving a really cool Herbie the Love Bug golf cart.

I'm fine not discussing that issue any further... what I'd like to know though is... did you get pics of his cart??... what we need is more carts... that'd make a nice diversion from rusty old fish feeders and such... not that floating solar powered fish feeders aren't captivating too, mind you... but I really enjoy seeing the individuality shown in the carts when we're at the fort, don't you? :dance:

I think it would be a crying shame to destroy the natural beauty of this small Cypress Head on Bay Lake by building a DVC resort.

The people who designed Fort Wilderness got this right.

They left this small piece of natural beauty alone.

And, it has stood here just like this ever since the WDW resort opened 40 years ago.

Leave it alone!

Amen!

I love the bay lake pics... can there really be too much water??

...were those kids playing in the water on the beach in that pic before the marina? :unsure:

* Warning Rant ahead! *

TCD I agree with you about them building that DVC. It is a really beutiful area and adds to the rustic charm of Fort Wilderness and The Wilderness Lodge. And the thing that gets me is with the large amount of land why not build another unique DVC. I am sure that the Fort is a very profitable entity with lower overhead than a normal resort and with that why possibly cause harm to their little cash cow? I know it may not make a huge difference in attendance but that DVC will ruin the charm and elegance of the area and massively increase and disrupt the flow of a wonderful place. I understand change and upgrades in fact the pool is a lot better now. But why screw up such a good thing.

I'm fine not discussing that issue any further... what I'd like to know though is... did you get pics of his cart??... what we need is more carts... that'd make a nice diversion from rusty old fish feeders and such... not that floating solar powered fish feeders aren't captivating too, mind you... but I really enjoy seeing the individuality shown in the carts when we're at the fort, don't you? :dance:

Sorry, but no photos of his cart. I think I have some old ones I may be able to dig up.

I'll get back to you if I find them.

Amen!

I love the bay lake pics... can there really be too much water??

...were those kids playing in the water on the beach in that pic before the marina? :unsure:

Good catch.

Yes, there are a couple of kids in bathing suits playing in the water.

One is making a sand castle.

As far as I know, this is allowed.

* Warning Rant ahead! *

TCD I agree with you about them building that DVC. It is a really beutiful area and adds to the rustic charm of Fort Wilderness and The Wilderness Lodge. And the thing that gets me is with the large amount of land why not build another unique DVC. I am sure that the Fort is a very profitable entity with lower overhead than a normal resort and with that why possibly cause harm to their little cash cow? I know it may not make a huge difference in attendance but that DVC will ruin the charm and elegance of the area and massively increase and disrupt the flow of a wonderful place. I understand change and upgrades in fact the pool is a lot better now. But why screw up such a good thing.

It is pretty obvious to me that the thought of putting a resort here is based on the amenities already available. They can use the ambiance of the whole Settlement area as a selling point. Plus, while destroying the Wilderness from which the Fort takes its name, they create an awesome location and views for the guests staying in the new resort. It all looks brilliant on paper, I'm sure.

TCD

Yes, this is today's second installment.

Don't worry, there is no extra charge.

I am trying to get this report wrapped-up after the brief intermission.

We are back at the Fort.

It's Sunday evening.

We are going to head over to the MK later, but we are not in a rush.

We visit the campfire and make a few smores.

I snapped this photo of the Chuckwagon menu:

101_0325.jpg

So, i could compare it to these:

This one is from 2010:

FW610467.jpg

And this one is from 2009:

FW809648.jpg

Can you spot all of the differences?

We headed over to the MK at about 11 pm.

It's pretty cool to be entering the park while streams of folks are leaving.

First stop was Space Mountain, to use our Fastpasses from earlier in the day, and to pick up new ones.

Have you ever had a Fastpass with a 2:00 am return time?

We did.

I snapped this interesting self-portrait on Space Mountain:

101_0328.jpg

And I was once again caught off guard in a candid pose by that cleverly hidden camera on the ride:

101_0334.jpg

We then hit Big Thunder Mountain to use our other Fastpasses. Here are the TCD twins, and a creepy guy trying to photo bomb them:

101_0338.jpg

I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure I saw that guy being invited to put down his six-pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade and take a seat for a talk by Chris Hanson on a TV show one time.

As the evening progressed, the lines for the attractions became smaller and smaller. To the point where everything became a walk-on.

We enjoyed the Astro-Orbiter, which we don't think is worth a long wait, but is great as a walk-on:

101_0339.jpg

101_0346.jpg

We rode Space Mountain many times.

Many.

And did a lot more, too.

And then it was time to go.

But, first a photo for bragging rights:

101_0348.jpg

101_0349.jpg

From there, we headed out to the boat, and back to the Fort.

As we boarded the boat, the castmembers were in deep discussion about a big storm approaching.

As we headed back, the wind picked up, and we felt a few raindrops.

We got back to camp, and made sure we were ready for a little rain.

At about 4 am, the bottom dropped out.

It rained like crazy.

For all the rest of the night.

And on to the next morning.

Monday turned out to be a very rainy day.

No early morning photos from Monday.

But, we did get our ponchos on and headed out for a look around the Fort:

101_0351.jpg

The Settlement was all but abandoned:

101_0352.jpg

101_0353.jpg

101_0354.jpg

A few brave/crazy souls were out and about:

101_0355.jpg

101_0356.jpg

From here, we went looping.

In the rain.

Nobody was out.

Except for this young girl.

That's her riding her Barbie Hummer in the rain with an umbrella:

101_0357.jpg

She is the first recipient of the TCDRCOGA.

That's TCD Real Child Of Genius Award

Way to go, kid!

That reminds me.

We have not yet named the TCDRMOG,

That's TCD Real Man of Genius.

We had identified him the night before.

On the 1800 loop.

But, I couldn't get a good photo at night.

So, here he is:

101_0358.jpg

What's so great about this, you ask?

Look at the guys' lights.

They are made out of plastic cups.

Like they serve drinks in at the Swamp.

At UF.

In Gainesville.

The guy took a set of Christmas lights, installed orange and blue bulbs, and then cut holes in the bottoms of the cups to put them on.

Brilliant!

And, they actually looked pretty good, too.

Congratulations to you Mr. Gator Cup Tacky Lights Guy, you are a TCDRMOG!

Here we are back at soggy site 1503:

101_0359.jpg

101_0360.jpg

101_0361.jpg

101_0362.jpg

Here are a couple more rain shots:

101_0363.jpg

101_0364.jpg

Something bad happened right after I took the last photo above.

The screen on my camera died.

Just like that.

Nothing.

It was probably all the rain.

Another one bites the dust.

But our trip isn't finished yet.

It seemed like the camera was still taking photos.

I just couldn't see them.

I'll share some of those photos in the next post.

And I'll also let you know if the rain ever stopped.

TCD

I snapped this interesting self-portrait on Space Mountain:

101_0328.jpg

OK, the self portrait is kind of creepy! You are MUCH cuter than that in person.

We then hit Big Thunder Mountain to use our other Fastpasses. Here are the TCD twins, and a creepy guy trying to photo bomb them:

101_0338.jpg

I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure I saw that guy being invited to put down his six-pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade and take a seat for a talk by Chris Hanson on a TV show one time.

:rofl2: Too funny!

TCD

I'm so excited that I knew about those fly traps. Usually, I'm the last one to figure something out. :blink:

101_0338.jpg

:rofl2:

He does have kind of a "to catch a predator" look about him! haha

101_0358.jpg

At UF.

In Gainesville.

The guy took a set of Christmas lights, installed orange and blue bulbs, and then cut holes in the bottoms of the cups to put them on.

Brilliant!

TCD

That's a great idea! I'm going to have to make me some of those, except in McNeese or LSU colors!

Great report as usual TCD!

WBI

That's TCD Real Man of Genius.

101_0358.jpg

At UF.

In Gainesville.

Brilliant!

I call foul on this TCDRMOG selection. What does he have plastered all over the MH & canopy, Gator stuff, and what is TCD's college of choice, you do the math.

From here, we went looping.

In the rain.

Nobody was out.

Except for this young girl.

That's her riding her Barbie Hummer in the rain with an umbrella:

101_0357.jpg

She is the first recipient of the TCDRCOGA.

That's TCD Real Child Of Genius Award

Way to go, kid!

Hey, TCD!

This looks like the basketball court on the 1400 loop.

Is it?

I know it is because I walked by that white Super Duty on my way to the comfort station every morning (sometimes I had to run.)

The Buckeye clan was just to your right in the Little Bear Loop....1460!

I think we went to Epcot this rainy day. It's a good park to do in the rain.

Please proceed.

1. Yes. It is a challenge.

2. I noticed the SC logo. Do you know these gnome mushroom people?

TCD

1. Challenge accepted.

2. I know absolutely NO gnome mushroom people. Maybe a few gypsies but no gnome mushroom people.

Great Job!

I wonder what will happen if they get a few more calls about the Fish Feeder?

Especially if KFK calls all hopped up on her prescription medication?

If KFK is going to call I think she should record the conversation for all fiends to hear! LOL

No self respecting southern woman can walk away from a challenge like that. I'm on it... but only if I get a badge. ;) Maybe I'd better figure out how to record the call BEFORE taking the meds though. :rofl2:

Another great installment! I am truly enjoying following along. :banana:

I think we should call the fish feeder people daily and ask if the fish at fort wilderness have been fed. Perhaps someone could ask for a tour of their facility. I want to see someone fill the fish feeder - we need to know when thats done so we can completely document the important role these fish feeders play at FW.

I think we should call the fish feeder people daily and ask if the fish at fort wilderness have been fed. Perhaps someone could ask for a tour of their facility. I want to see someone fill the fish feeder - we need to know when thats done so we can completely document the important role these fish feeders play at FW.

Are your hormones running rampant again Whip? :rofl2:

I think that's a great idea! :dance:

awesome trip report. Missed these. I have a funny story about the algae in the 500 loop for you.

We were checking in with our camping group for halloween this year. we had 5 TTs there. However most of us got there early in the day and we always request the 500 loop when we go. We had one lone straggler that left latehence not arriving till just after dark. He had his whole family including a couple teenagers. AS most of the adult were helping him set up we heard a teenager, who had never been to the fort before, from his group going on and on about how cool this place was. Remember they showed up after dark. However a couple minutes later we hear him saying check out this yellow sidewalk, its like the yellowbrick road. he then proceeded to jump onto the sidewalk. Needless to say the green algae canal must have looked like a yellow brick sidewalk to him. alls we could hear was a big splash and a panicking teenager. we ran back to the canal to see him emerging looking like the swamp thing. after realizing he was safe and pouring some alcohol in his ears to avoid amoebas we couldnt help but laugh our butts off. and all weekend when i would sit behind the camper for coffee or adult beverages i could see the outline of where he went in and couldnt help but laugh again. great pictures and great report

awesome trip report. Missed these. I have a funny story about the algae in the 500 loop for you.

We were checking in with our camping group for halloween this year. we had 5 TTs there. However most of us got there early in the day and we always request the 500 loop when we go. We had one lone straggler that left latehence not arriving till just after dark. He had his whole family including a couple teenagers. AS most of the adult were helping him set up we heard a teenager, who had never been to the fort before, from his group going on and on about how cool this place was. Remember they showed up after dark. However a couple minutes later we hear him saying check out this yellow sidewalk, its like the yellowbrick road. he then proceeded to jump onto the sidewalk. Needless to say the green algae canal must have looked like a yellow brick sidewalk to him. alls we could hear was a big splash and a panicking teenager. we ran back to the canal to see him emerging looking like the swamp thing. after realizing he was safe and pouring some alcohol in his ears to avoid amoebas we couldnt help but laugh our butts off. and all weekend when i would sit behind the camper for coffee or adult beverages i could see the outline of where he went in and couldnt help but laugh again. great pictures and great report

That is so funny, poor kid, but funny :rofl2:

:rofl2: