Importance of Surge Protectors - fka Ten Minutes is All It Took!!!

Camping World just sent out their "lastest"  sale ad, with this listed (note free item incl):

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-surge-guards-with-lcd-display-30-amp/58464

Thanks for the pointer. I had been planning on getting one of these but the cost was making me hold off. The Camping World special changed that and I now have one on order.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the post. I got my surge protector today because of this.  

Was looking for a thread on surge protectors and figure this needs to be bumped

Some good news is I have noted a lot of surge arresters installed in Fort distribution panels. The ones I have seen are far better than anything you can likely buy at an RV store. Look for the boxes

Wow!

This is one of the reasons I am so glad I found you people.

I would like to thank (in no particular order):

Bill, for bringing this to our attention and sharing those alarming photos that hopefully will prevent many of us from a similar experience.

Mo, for the questions she posted…..which would have been similar to my own…..saved me tons of time and googling.

Beckers, for bumping this thread.

Nacole, for the link to the deal at CW.

Everyone who contributed to this thread with helpful info, relatable experience, etc….

And finally, Todd, for posting a link to this article on the Disney Campers Facebook page.  As I've explained on another thread, I haven't had much time to peruse FF lately (moving again), and your link reminded me to stop in here!  I had to sign in!  I am so looking forward to the days when I am able to pop in several times a week again.

Our surge protector and "freebie" lock has been ordered (bonus:  Good Sam got me free shipping), just in time for us to return to FL to pick up our beautiful new camper that we bought last year and only used once!

Which reminds me of another thank you I need to post…..to Curt, for keeping an eye on our home on wheels when he is in and out of the storage lot where he keeps his rentals.  Which I would have never known about had it not been for him, and of course FF!!!

The benefits of being a part of this group are limitless.

Wow!

This is one of the reasons I am so glad I found you people.

...The benefits of being a part of this group are limitless.

Thank YOU for that post!  It reminds us all that FortFiends is a community of people and, as opposed to some places on the interwebz where it seems it's all about one person or just a few "chosen" people, FortFiends is about ALL of us together, and it's ALL of us that make it such a great place.  :top-points-smiley:

Ooh and for those of you that may not know, FortFiends does have a couple of Facebook pages.  A general organization one, and one called FortFiends.net.

Because we know that people's online attention is scattered these days, and not everyone has time to check in here all the time, we try and post info/links on our Facebook pages to here, to help people stay on top of what's going on, even when they're off in other corners of the interwebz.  It also helps us attract new people in that may not be aware of us.

I know some folks avoid Facebook like the plague (and I can't blame you) but it's especially handy because people get regular notifications through Facebook. So be sure to like our pages if you're "out and about"...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FortFiendsnet/198188510195897?ref_type=bookmark

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FortFiends/137423776325370?ref_type=bookmark

Last night we ordered the PI 50A model similar to what DIT posted.  It's not 100% protection, but will do until our inheritance comes in.   :rofl3:  This morning we got word it has been shipped, so we'll have it for our trip in 2 weeks.  Oh, and we got it from Amazon, but Amazon also list several other sources for about the same price.

Okay... just ordered ours from Camping World.  Was going to hold off (because, let's be honest, it's tough to afford) but then we thought of the OP's story again and realized that the breaker box in our small trailer is directly below our daughter's bed.  Yep... that's all it took.

It should be here by the end of next week and in time for our trip on the 4th.

My surge protector and lock box arrived today. Six days isn't bad for the item being out of stock when I ordered. Now I just need to get my TT back home, it's in for some warranty work, and we should be good to go. Thanks again for the bump and posting the link.

• 1 month later...

I would not feel at ease with the locking device Camping World sells, that just locks it to your cable. Unplug the protector, cut the end off your camper cable and away. A chain and two locks would seem to be a better bet... at least make them damage the protector to make off with it!

Actually look at the photo.   The golf cart tire marks are near the trailer, not where it is now.  The damage on the trailer correlates to the golf cart tire marks and the charger and extension cord is right by the steps.  It definitely was electrical.   If needed I could breakout the crayon.