First Day of Preschool For My Special One

This has nothing to do with camping...so I apologize for going off-topic on this forum, but I wanted to share my good news today.

Some of you have already seen this on FB, but I wanted to share this with all my Fiends, especially considering how y'all made Anna's homecoming so special a few months ago.

Anna started school today! We are blessed to live in a country that provides an education to all children, regardless of their abilities. The public elementary school in our neighborhood has a wonderful Early Childhood Special Education preschool, where they blend classrooms of half special needs children and half typical peers. PT, OT and Speech Therapy are all offered as appropriate in the classroom, as well as on a "pull out" basis for kids that quality. Anna has qualified for services, and started school today. And she loved it!

The teachers are all awesome, caring people. Anna's primary teacher sent us some pics today to show how well she did, and I wanted to share those.

Annaschool3.JPG

Annaschool1.JPG

Annaschool2.JPG

I wish the Russians that wrote her off as someone with no potential, who couldn't connect with people and didn't deserve a family, could see her now. This kid has more zest for life than anyone I know. The thought of her wasting away in a crib in some institution doesn't seem imaginable, and I'm so thankful that God had other plans and entrusted her to us. She sure is a light in our lives! But I do feel sorry for that kid in the 2nd picture above. While he was busy mugging for the camera, Anna stole his glue stick! :rofl2:

Well, thanks for indulging me here. Just wanted to share my joy.

A lesson for that little guy. Never take your eyes off your stuff, not even when confronted with a cute, sweet, smiling girl that acts like you're just the greatest guy in the world.

Owned! :siren:

A lesson for that little guy. Never take your eyes off your stuff, not even when confronted with a cute, sweet, smiling girl that acts like you're just the greatest guy in the world.

Owned! :siren:

Or...PONED!

Maybe KFK should have bought that kid a PONED carved ring before that stand went out of business.

"Look, Bobby, it's a camera....smile!".

sucker.... :rofl2:

Everytime I see pictures of how that smiling little face, it warms my heart. A love of life just shines through her eyes! I am a special ed teacher, eventhough I work at a DJJ facility now. When I taught at the high school I had a young woman with Down's that "worked" for me. She really was a volunteer! She was the highlight of my day! She learned to make copies, she could go up and get my stuff from my mailbox, (a simple dot to mark my box, until she recognied my name) she would sit in my reading group because she was still learning to read! We did weight watchers together, she would tell me what she ate and I would count the points. Of course that's also where we got the expression, "when in doubt, white it out" cause if she went over her points she would white them out. When I taught band, she was in the band, she played the tambourine and came to every football game and concert with us. OMGosh I miss her. She is working at the K8 school now. I know they are very fortunate to have her and she is well-loved by all the faculty and students.

I know that Anna has such a bright future ahead of her because she has an awesome family and is getting the services she needs to help her be successful at an early age! Go Anna! This is just the beginning!

Everytime I see pictures of how that smiling little face, it warms my heart. A love of life just shines through her eyes! I am a special ed teacher, eventhough I work at a DJJ facility now. When I taught at the high school I had a young woman with Down's that "worked" for me. She really was a volunteer! She was the highlight of my day! She learned to make copies, she could go up and get my stuff from my mailbox, (a simple dot to mark my box, until she recognied my name) she would sit in my reading group because she was still learning to read! We did weight watchers together, she would tell me what she ate and I would count the points. Of course that's also where we got the expression, "when in doubt, white it out" cause if she went over her points she would white them out. When I taught band, she was in the band, she played the tambourine and came to every football game and concert with us. OMGosh I miss her. She is working at the K8 school now. I know they are very fortunate to have her and she is well-loved by all the faculty and students.

I know that Anna has such a bright future ahead of her because she has an awesome family and is getting the services she needs to help her be successful at an early age! Go Anna! This is just the beginning!

Thank you for sharing this, Rita. You've made my day!

Dave, I followed the story of your ordeal with adopting Anna on the local news, and when I found the Fort Fiends site I recognized your family. I have a granddaughter who started kindergarten this year and it's amazing to see how fast they grow and learn. It's wonderful to see Anna's sweet, smiling face and to know that she is happy and loved.

Aw, fantastic!!! Every post about Anna makes me smile -- your whole family are shining stars. Anna was truly meant to be part of your fam.

A friend of ours here in NC is thisclose to bringing home their new daughter, a special needs little girl from the Philippines. I don't know how the experience there compares to Russia, but they're an outstanding family, too, so I know this little girl is going to be treasured as well. Every child should be so blessed!

Everytime I see Anna, she has a beautiful smile on her face. She was so blessed to have a family that cared take her in with no reservations. Because people cared, we are all being blessed. Thank you!

When I taught at the high school I had a young woman with Down's that "worked" for me. When I taught band, she was in the band, she played the tambourine and came to every football game and concert with us.

I was in the "Alumni Band" at that time. Because the band had dwindled to almost nothing, a group of past band members (some of them grandparents) formed the Alumni Band to fill the ranks until they could carry on themselves. On one of our away games, Rita, Chris, Jamie (the girl with Down's) & I stopped to eat before the game. While I was up at the salad bar, Jamie told Rita that, "Your brother's hot". Rita said, "Yes, it's hot in here". Jamie said, "NO! He's "HOT""! She had also said to me, "If you get rid of that mustache, you will get a girlfriend". The implication of that being, that SHE would be 'that' girlfriend - that's when I grew the beard! :rofl2: Jamie frequently popped out with other hilarious statements and I miss her too.

That's great Dave! You need never to apologize for going off topic when it comes to that little beauty.

Good for her for stealing that boys glue stick, he should have been paying more attention! :))

Anna is a lucky little girl.

Well, thanks for indulging me here. Just wanted to share my joy.

Dave, don't thank your readers, you are the one to be thanked for sharing your joy.

We all can use a little joy in our lives.

Feel free to share any time.

I know that you and your family will be richly blessed for what you have done for Anna.

And it's great to see that those blessings are already raining down!

Good job!

TCD

Dear Dave and Christy, we are the ones who thank you for sharing your story. Anna is a precious example of how great the human spirit really is. I showed my girls your pictures on FB and even at their ages they were touched. You've got a very special group of young ladies there!! :heart:

Russians are a differnt bred of people, I'm working with a group from St. Petersburgh right now and they are wearing my nerves!! However, I can get them to do just about anything I want for home cooked food... they are especially fond of chicken and dumplings.. I'm not above bribery! :rofl2:

and here I thought I only cried on my kids' first day of school. :heart:

What an adorable little glue swiper... that's the way to do it kid, put those boys in their place while they're young...:rofl2:

Dave you and your family are very special people who made your family even better, my sister was a special ed teacher also who was never blessed with children of her own but you would never know it the way she spoke of all her students. We lost her when she was only 30 years of age but even though she could not have children she always said there were plenty of them that needed her. :heart:

This should be the cry your damned eyes out thread. I remember the first time I clicked on Daves link for the first child they were trying to adopt and thought, oh that's cool Dave is adopting a special needs child and didn't think much more of it. Then when they were denied that child and seeing the disappointment his family endured, it was like I went through it too. I was worried with Anna they'd get the same result and every time Dave would post on facebook or the boards I was hoping he wasn't going to say we didn't get her or another delay. That last trip to Russia had me on edge every day that something was going to happen even after they took her from the orphanage.

Since everybody else kinda spilled their guts and is being softies I might as well admit I went to the SMGG to enjoy fiends and share good times but had Anna not been there I might have backed out. I mean I had to see Bob for Pete's sake all weekend and drink those teribble toasted almonds Carol made me.

OK back to being the snarky attacking mean people we've been accused of being. Thanks for sharing Anna with us Dave. Your family wins the 2011 feel good about being a fiend award.