CKCK "Lessons Learned" trip report, 10/9-10/13

From one Living with the Land dork to another...

00037.gif

I too enjoy Living with the Land... Not only is it pretty interesting, I love the fact that it ticks off my 15 y/o daughter to no end when I drag her into that boat...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I forgot a few things about our first night. First of all, you can't roast marshmallows over charcoal...very well. We thought we would avoid the crowds and just do it at our site after we grilled

We just returned from our inaugural camping trip in our new TT to the Fort. We have been to Disney World before. We have camped before (once). This was our second camping trip to the Fort (or EVER fo

Moving on... Here are a few more pics from our first Settlement expedition: If I could sleep on one foot with my head turned around backwards, would I? No. This duck thinks it's a good idea, though

Thanks to all for the nice comments!

We were at the Blue Ridge festival this weekend and are heading to LaFayette Marching Classic this weekend followed by Old South in Newnan in two weeks. Any chance you may be there also?

No dice. After this weekend we're putting it on autopilot and cruising to the end of the season!

Wow!

What a great start to a trip report!

Well done!

And, I have one more topic to touch on. And, this one includes a question.

What time of day did you see those two castmembers with the horse?

Thanks! Coming from the TR King, that means a lot!

I think we saw the covert horse mission around 4:00 or so.

That's really interesting about the horse. I never would have known or suspected that.

Ok, sorry for the delay. That whole life thing just got in the way the past two days.

Boooo...

So, we're at Tuesday morning now. After our first morning confusion with the free tickets, we decided to be smart.

Lesson Learned: Don't try to be smart.

I took DD19mos to Epcot (via the bus) while DW and DD3 headed over to the MK to watch rope drop and wait for me to arrive with the tickets.

A great plan in theory.

But...it turns out that our tickets for Tuesday were different than Monday. Our travel company CEO was going to walk us in the park using her guest passes.

Except all of us needed to be there.

Doh.

Luckily, she was super helpful and drove over to the MK while DD and I rode the monorail over to meet her.

In the meantime, DW and DD3 were watching the rope drop festivities.

I have never seen a rope drop.

My wife took pictures.

6242839092_2d1d910752.jpg

She doesn't take pictures often. She did say that rope drop at the MK was pretty cool.

Lesson Learned: I need to make it a point to see rope drop next time!

So we finally made it in the MK. Woo hoo! You can't help but just feel happy when you walk in (unless you're Lou, more than likely). I hope that the happy feeling doesn't wear off as we visit more often.

Here's my obligatory castle pic:

6242321787_70fe350fed.jpg

To some of you that are in the MK often that might just be an ordinary castle pic.

To me it shows something exciting.

I have been to the MK about 5 times. It hasn't been since 1986 (my first trip), that I have seen the castle doors open. I kept remembering that when I was little and we were there that we walked through the castle. But then every time I have been there since it is always closed up.

I started wondering if they ever opened it up.

Apparently they do.

Here a pic looking from the castle doors down mainstreet:

6242839396_5780a86af1.jpg

Lesson Learned: While it's kind of neat to walk through the castle, it wasn't all that exciting. The carousel was more exciting.

Being there with two young daughters, we obviously were going to spend a lot of our time in Fantasyland. Of course, the same would hold true if we were there with my mother. She loves Fantasyland. She nearly refuses to go into Tomorrowland.

Here are my couple of pics of the new construction:

6242321975_0346a2aed1.jpg

6242322103_9af6394d5f.jpg

I'm excited to see it when it opens.

Still sad that 20,000 Leagues is gone. I only rode it once back in 1986.

Lesson Learned: I tend to be pretty nostalgic...especially when it comes to Disney.

Does anyone know if the knot on the tree is still around? I remember reading that there was a homage to 20,000 on the treehouse to Winnie the Pooh or something? I've never found it.

We made the rounds, riding pretty much all the "big" rides in Fantasyland.

We fast passed Peter Pan, though none of the waits were very bad. I guess we were there on a good day.

Apparently they were giving out all kinds of surprise fastpasses to Mickey's Philharmagic. Whats' up with that? Are they desperate to get people in there? We didn't go this time, but have been before and I think it's pretty cool. I'm afraid that they'll end up taking it out if they can't get people to go to it.

We went to Tom Sawyer Island. We probably won't go back. Not my bag.

Some highlights of our MK day was Pirates (both girls did well on that) and our FIRST PINEAPPLE DOLE WHIP.

After all of the hype, we couldn't wait to try one.

We weren't disappointed.

Lesson Learned: Dole Whip is good.

You know what I was disappointed in?

The smoking area right across from the dole whip place.

No offense to smokers out there, but I hate it. I don't like to be around it, and definitely don't like my girls to be around it. I think they should put the smoking areas further away from people.

Moving on...

6242839934_4aee687dd8.jpg

How tired would you be from dancing all the way down and back up mainstreet? And smiling the whole time? Not for me.

6242840074_e1790095dc.jpg

6242840230_bae3217e34.jpg

For any of you who can think about the song that goes along with that parade, I hope that you agree that it is obnoxious. Stuck in my head all day. Almost as bad as rocky to......don't say it.

Later on I heard that dumb parade song being played at the Contemporary pool. booo..

6242840464_e9eb81dac5.jpg

6242840656_9d005a005c.jpg

6242323225_d4b2d26820.jpg

I read somewhere that the Fort is home to the horses that work in the MK. How do they get to the Fort? How often to they go home to the Fort?

Ok, so here's where it gets exciting. Mr. Fire Chief man comes out on his car. I'm thinking to myself, "self, that's a pretty cool rig."

Until he nearly runs me over.

6242840880_37b4667d54.jpg

Lesson Learned: Get out of the way of Mr. Fire Chief Man, because he will run your butt over.

I was standing on the curb. I think he tried to take me out. He didn't like my St. Louis Cardinals hat.

Go Cards.

That brings us to the end of MK day. I didn't take as many pictures as I wish I had. I made up for it on the next day, though.

Lesson Learned: It really is a pain to carry a camera around all day long when you're pushing a stroller.

Next up was Fort Day/Resort Touring Day. I have a couple of mysteries that I hope someone can answer for me. We'll also have an encounter with the Lake Patrol and get up close and personal with the shoe tree and RC.

And I will finally reveal where I found the missing tetherball.

Yes, that was a teaser.

Still sad that 20,000 Leagues is gone. I only rode it once back in 1986.

Lesson Learned: I tend to be pretty nostalgic...especially when it comes to Disney.

Does anyone know if the knot on the tree is still around? I remember reading that there was a homage to 20,000 on the treehouse to Winnie the Pooh or something? I've never found it.

Yes, there is an outline of a 20K sub in the Pooh playground tree. I had heard of it, but had a hard time finding it. Then I heard that it was above one of the doors. Last November, we visited late one night, and it was too dark to see anything inside the tree. But, I took flash photos of the areas above each door. Lo and behold, there's the Nautilus above the doorway in this photo, to the right:

100_0243.jpg

This is a bit odd now, as the tree and playground used to sit on the site of the old 20K attraction. But, last year, they moved it over to the front of the Pooh ride. Now the homage to 20K doesn't make much sense.

Apparently they were giving out all kinds of surprise fastpasses to Mickey's Philharmagic. Whats' up with that? Are they desperate to get people in there? We didn't go this time, but have been before and I think it's pretty cool. I'm afraid that they'll end up taking it out if they can't get people to go to it.

They give surprise Fastpasses to attractions with big capacities and low interest. They used to do this with the Honey I Shrunk the Audience attraction at Epcot. These Fastpasses are useless, as these days, you can easily enter Philharmagic without a Fastpass. But, it is a brilliant move on Disney's part- they give the guest the impression that they have received something of value, and maybe it siphons a few folks away from the busier attractions.

6242323225_d4b2d26820.jpg

I read somewhere that the Fort is home to the horses that work in the MK. How do they get to the Fort? How often to they go home to the Fort?

Hey- hang on here a minute. . .

Where did you take that photo?

You have just shown me something that I have not seen before.

I didn't know there was a horse jail at the MK!

Seriously, in all of my visits, I have never seen that area before.

As for your question about how often the horses go back to the Fort, as far as I know, they go back and forth every day.

As to how they do it, here's the big trailer that they use:

ThanksgivingFW2008486.jpg

You are still doing a great job on your report-

I'm looking forward to what you have to show us about River Country and the Shoe Tree.

TCD

Outstanding Trip Report!!!!!

Lessons learned....two thumbs up

Living with the Land.....I'm also a huge fan. It's a comfortable ride, usually a short wait, and some really cool scenery

Mickey's Philharmagic....Never miss it. It is "Great Show" in Disney Lingo

Most Important.....I agree "GO CARDS."

I am really enjoying your trip report!!!

Lessons learned is a fun idea!!

I can understand your feelings about Tom Sawyers. We have boys, so the island has always been a hit. However, what really breathed new life into it for us, even at my boys ages on our August trip (15 and 18) is the hidden paintbrushes. We actually went over three different days and found a brush on each day. Woohoo for us!!! They give you special fast passes as a prize for finding the paintbrush.

Can't wait to read more!

Heidi

Hey- hang on here a minute. . .

Where did you take that photo?

You have just shown me something that I have not seen before.

I didn't know there was a horse jail at the MK!

Seriously, in all of my visits, I have never seen that area before.

It's the horse drunk tank.

It's in the Trolley barn/house/garage or whatever they call it. One door happened to be open when we walked by so I started snapping.

Has anyone ever ridden the trolley? I've never even seen it in operation. Guess I haven't been there enough yet.

Lesson Learned: Finish trip reports on the weekends, because it's hard to find time during the week!

I left out some of Tuesday night. We wanted to head over to Hollywood Studios to catch a few things and maybe see Fantasmic. So after dinner at the TT we got on the bus and headed over there.

We knew it was going to be towards the end of the day, so we obviously knew there was no chance of getting on Toy Story, but DD3 really wanted to see the Little Mermaid, or Ariel, as she called it. We figured we could ride a couple things before they started shutting down.

We got there just before 7:00...park closed at 8:00 (Fantasmic at 8:00 as well).

My wife though she remembered something from long ago that she wanted to ride...so we got on the Great Movie Ride.

Not what she remembered.

Had it been the middle of a hot day with lots of crowds, it would have been perfect. Long ride, inside, air conditioning...nap time.

At 7:00 an hour before the park closes when you just got there...not so much.

Lesson Learned: The Great Movie Ride sucks.

Then we thought we would go do the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area and so forth, maybe another ride or two before we hit the last showing of Little Mermaid.

Turns out that DHS shuts everything down before the park actually closes. What the heck?!?

Lesson Learned: Don't expect to do much an hour before closing time at Hollywood Studios.

I'm sure that Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror were still going strong, but we obviously weren't riding those on this trip.

After "Ariel" we decided to bag Fantasmic and just headed back to the Fort. Of course DD3 wanted fireworks again, so off we went.

Ok, let's get rockin' on Wednesday...Fort and Tour Day.

We were really looking forward to having a day at the Fort just to explore and enjoy it. In December we didn't get that day, and by the end of our vacation we needed a vacation from our vacation.

Lesson Learned: Always plan in some "down" days to relax! That's the point of being at the Fort anyway!

We woke up way earlier than I would have liked because someone (DD19mos) decided that she didn't need to sleep in. DW fixed breakfast in the TT and we took our time getting up and at 'em.

After we were all ready we decided to go for some looping and exploring...probably around 9:30 or so. I took a ton of pics, so here are the first few.

6242324561_d09c0bb578.jpg

6242842158_5964e3f0f8.jpg

6242842282_bf74591dda.jpg

6242325007_543b8f3f5e.jpg

6242842626_d51e2a6c64.jpg

Nothing exciting, just taking it all in. Some day I'm sure we'll do the pony rides and carriage rides, but not this time.

I have read probably everything there is to read about the old River Country and seen a ton of pics. I never went to RC, but like I said earlier, I'm pretty nostalgic, especially with Disney stuff. So of course we were going to walk back to RC and see what we could see.

To me, the "hosted by Dixie" just doesn't look right in the Fort. Too commercial for me.

6242842794_2a3fc02ea4.jpg

I had seen a pic like this before (probably from TCD) of the old RC entrance/ticket window. It really was neat/cool/interesting/sad to see the vegetation growing on the roof. It's really interesting that the building itself is in good shape, painted, etc., but the roof is nearly a garden.

6242842970_690323cb0b.jpg

6242843138_985642cfc4.jpg

Here's the pavilion. My question is this: was this part of RC, or was it built specifically for the Fort/Mickey's backyard bbq?

6242843336_1aa8fb61b5.jpg

6242326125_925476e8b8.jpg

Old RC bathrooms. It was really interesting that they are open, clean, maintained, and working. But for whom? Being way back in the back, I can't imagine anyone going there. Do they use these for the BBQ people?

6242843714_ea1d466896.jpg

We walked around the RC fence for awhile, looking through the holes and so forth. It was very eerie...dirty rainwater filling the pool, deteriorating slides/rocks, old tables laying around. Vegetation everywhere. It would make for a great movie set.

You've all seen these pics from other people before, but here are my additions:

6242843906_9a91e8b9a4.jpg

6242326545_e9fb58e3c6.jpg

6242326687_a892833707.jpg

6242326845_e556c4787c.jpg

Lesson Learned: Disney is really peculiar with the way they just close something off and leave it sit. I'm sure they have their reasons...probably money...but it's just weird.

What is this? Booo. If you're going to smoke, give yourself nasty breath, extra wrinkles, cancer, emphysema, waste lots of money, the LEAST you can do is put your freaking butts in an ash tray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially at the Fort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6242844932_b8bc12e6e0.jpg

Here's where we really learned something this morning. After we finished our Settlement area exploration, we did a little looping on and made our way back to 1802.

When we pulled in to the loop we heard a weird noise.

High pitched.

Loud.

Almost like an alarm of some sort.

It was an alarm.

Coming from our TT.

Crap.

Turns out our LP alarm works just fine.

Also turns out that somehow...not naming names...a burner on our stove got turned to "light," but was never lit. My wife used a different burner to cook breakfast, so odds are that a little hand somehow turned it on.

Really Important Lesson Learned: Check everything before leaving the TT!!!!!

I think we also need to get something to prevent the gas from being turned on by little hands. Anyone have any ideas?

Our neighbors apparently had come knocking on our door and windows afraid that we were in there. They even called the front desk hoping that the Fort management could get a hold of us on our cells.

Guess what?

They didn't.

Didn't even try. Not even a missed call on our home phone (in case that was the only number that had for us).

Thanks, management.

Later that night a lady came by walking her dog. She asked if everything was ok with the TT after the alarm had been going off. Apparently our TT caused some good excitement for about an hour that morning.

We were "those guys."

Lesson Learned: I don't like being "those guys."

We aired out the TT then hit the pool.

DW was really excited about taking the girls to the kid area of the Meadows pool. It looked fun...water shooting around, kids slides, shallow water.

DD3 was having a blast. We were enjoying watching her. Even DD19mos was digging splashing around, though she wouldn't go down the slide. There were several other kids playing around as well.

Then we noticed something.

In the bottom of the water slide.

Floating in the water.

No, it wasn't a Babyruth from Caddyshack.

A woman who was there saw it, then calmly said, "I'll go get a paper towel."

Huh?

That's it?

TIME TO HEAD TO THE BIG POOL.

It was okay, but DD3 didn't want to wear a life jacket, and didn't want to try the slide, so all we could do was float around. Why could we only float around? Because the freaking lifeguards suck.

There was a dad in the pool with his young son, and he put the kid on his shoulders.

Oh, no, call the Fort po po because the dad just broke the rules.

After a stern talking to by "Mr. I'm 21 and a lifeguard," he got the memo that no fun is allowed in the big pool.

I'm all for pool safety, and that means not letting kids get crazy with their pool games. But a dad can't even play with his kid?

DD3 wanted me to throw her up in the air and so forth, but I wasn't interesting in arguing with a 21 year old lifeguard, so we opted to not.

Lesson Learned: No fun allowed in the Meadows pool unless you're going down the slide...which we did not.

After the pool it was lunch/naptime.

We're going to keep this train moving right along.

After naps we got ready to go and visit the Resorts...Contemporary, Poly, Grand Floridian, and Wilderness Lodge.

We headed to the marina to get on the boat to the Contemporary. Two guys, and two older women got on as well. The two guys (I think father/son) asked the driver if instead of going around the island he could drive up close by RC so they could see it. Apparently they hadn't been to Disney since RC was still open and had fond memories (as most people who went seem to have). The driver said he wasn't supposed to, but that he would.

Sweet.

Get out the camera and put on the zoom lens.

Our heading took us closer to the shoe tree than normal. Since I had on my zoom I was able to get some really close up shots of it, and a bird.

6242845100_8e29b47647.jpg

I had seen TCD's shoe tree pics a while back. I didn't realize how many shoes were actually on it. Maybe there have been more added since he last took pics of it. Either way, there were a lot.

6242327683_136a7fd25c.jpg

These actually looked pretty nice. Look like they could have been CM shoes, too.

6242327911_1d72e8d0b2.jpg

6242845394_b329f3f5f0.jpg

What the...

IT'S THE MISSING TETHERBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did it get there?

The only possible solution I can see is that someone rented either a pontoon or Sea Raycer, took the ball with them, and threw it up there. Or...maybe it was washed out in the lake and someone picked it up. Either way, why would someone want to put it up there? Those crazy kids...

Lesson Learned: You never know what you're going to find around the Fort!

Underneath the shoe tree. Is that part of a chain link fence? I honestly can't tell, but that's my best guess. Unless it's some kind of fishing gear or something.

6242328005_d076d27b7d.jpg

6242328151_ed8532d0c1.jpg

6242845904_d9fdedf9af.jpg

6242846014_32e30c7be5.jpg

6242846108_3483f65685.jpg

The driver came over as close as he could safely get to RC and let it idle awhile. It turns out that one of the two older women on our boat was a CM. The two guys started asking questions about why RC shut down and what was going to happen to it. Neither the driver nor CM said anything I hadn't heard before. Though the guys were impressed with the CM's knowledge. Big deal...I told them to get online and check out FF's and they could learn even more!

While we were idling a lake patrol boat came up to see what was going on. She thought we might be in trouble. The driver asked her what was going to happen to RC, and she said she heard it was going to be a DVC resort.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was going to be NEXT to RC. Shows how much/little some people know. Or maybe I'm the dummy here (be quiet, Lou).

6242846222_1ff4aca135.jpg

Lesson Learned: I don't think anyone really knows what Disney is going to do until Disney does it.

Moving on...

So, Bay Lake is not healthy to swim in. You can't even wade in the water at the beach.

But you can ski and wakeboard!

6242846386_24aa047c9c.jpg

What? I guess the rule is you have to jump off the dock and not fall. If you do, you get kicked out.

Lesson Learned: No one told Sammy Duvall that the water isn't healthy.

Inside the Contemporary. I like how they made the "ceiling" of the shop imitate the skylights.

6242328959_eaa9fc5a37.jpg

Poly. I had never been here before. It was pretty, but I wouldn't want to stay there. The pool area reminded me too much of spring break. Not for me. I'm an old family man now.

6242846688_24e3d0e6eb.jpg

You know what I do like about the Poly?

DOLE WHIP.

I got my first ever self serve Dole Whip. Nice.

6242329453_6a8ae3e65a.jpg

6242846864_a7eeecea38.jpg

Ok, I just have to say that the inside of the GF was pretty darn impressive. Being a band guy, I totally was digging the band up on the end. Cool gig.

6242847142_1fffa17be0.jpg

6242329631_52a12387ae.jpg

Ok, here's a mystery in the floors of the GF. At least to me. I want to see if anyone can solve it for me.

6242329831_8db0853f4d.jpg

6242847552_8f2d0b6794.jpg

6242329981_169b213197.jpg

6242330073_8d95cb0b8e.jpg

6242330205_126d1a5159.jpg

6242847968_a6c76ef31a.jpg

Did you notice?

The only faces that you can see out of all of those characters are Goofy and Pluto. What's that all about? Is there a reason? There has to be some reason.

Lesson Learned: There are many mysteries at Disney, but nothing is coincidence.

Totally digging the car.

6242330493_97df6242da.jpg

6242330595_eda8bce069.jpg

At the Lodge...dumb geyser that never went off. Kind of looks like a Mickey.

6242330711_9431d298b0.jpg

6242330855_4c6782275f.jpg

6242848654_56f44f1c3b.jpg

Anyone know what these stairs go to way up in the ceiling of the Lodge?

6242848752_4f5d846ab5.jpg

6242331511_fb7740715c.jpg

We really enjoyed our Resort tour. We had never seen the insides of most of them. It was fun to finally see everything. My wife and I always said that we wanted to stay at some of them in addition to our stays at the Fort. Who wouldn't want to stay in a nice resort with lots of amenities? However, after touring them, we can honestly say that we would much rather be at the Fort. There's something about the Fort that is just relaxing and feels comfortable.

It can be crazy in the parks, crazy waiting in lines for the boat at the MK, people everywhere. Loud music everywhere. Yet once you step onto the dock at the marina, you hear the Fort background music playing on the "hidden" outdoor speakers, and it's just relaxing. Everything is spread out. There are trees. Animals. Grass. Water. Lots of people, but you never feel like there are lots of people. You can smell food grilling outside, smell the fried chicken coming from the Trails End, maybe even smell the horses. When the sun goes down...it's dark. You hear birds, crickets, frogs...the occasional golf cart whizzing by. You might be one of those golf carts whizzing by. Late night looping. Waving at people passing by. Waving at people sitting outside. Everyone is friendly. Helpful. Considerate (for the most part).

We can honestly say that we are addicted. We have made two trips to the Fort since December. The first one inspired us to purchase a TT. This time my wife was mad when we left to go home because we didn't have reservations for our next trip down there.

Guess what?

By the time we got to I-75 we already had two nights booked for Thanksgiving week. Since then we snagged a third night.

Now we're even considering purchasing a golf cart.

Lesson Learned: We need to start saving all of our money, because the Fort is going to bankrupt us!!!

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading about our trip. It was a pleasure to share it with you. Thank you for all of the nice comments and helpful additions throughout it!

Final Lesson Learned: I can't wait to make another trip so I can do this again!!!

Lesson Learned: Finish trip reports on the weekends, because it's hard to find time during the week!

Oh, no, call the Fort po po because the dad just broke the rules.

After a stern talking to by "Mr. I'm 21 and a lifeguard," he got the memo that no fun is allowed in the big pool.

I'm all for pool safety, and that means not letting kids get crazy with their pool games. But a dad can't even play with his kid?

DD3 wanted me to throw her up in the air and so forth, but I wasn't interesting in arguing with a 21 year old lifeguard, so we opted to not.

Lesson Learned: No fun allowed in the Meadows pool unless you're going down the slide...which we did not.

After the pool it was lunch/naptime.

Yep, lifeguards are queens/kings of their world, and have a HUGE chip on their shoulder (especially ones between 16 and about 25).

Try taking a lifeguarding class from one of those 16 to 25 YOs as an adult. They LOVE bossing us old folks around when we are recertifying. I was very nice not to remind them that I've been a lifeguard longer than they have been alive!

Enjoyed the TR. Scary about the stove incident. Glad it all worked out. Funny, I think all of us have been "That Guy" at some point. Upside is that you are all safe and have another trip planned.

As for the tetherball in the shoe tree, that is very odd indeed. I'm thinking some of the ghosts from HM decided to have some fun.:)