From Moscow to Mickey – My Little Girl’s Journey to the Fort (DaveInTN and Family Spend Thanksgiving With The Fiends!)

When we were done at Chef Mickey's, we were all pretty stuffed. We didn't want to head right back to the Fort, so we decided to go resort hopping. And since we were already at a monorail resort, we figured we hop on board and head down the line to the GF.

We left the Contemporary and glided over the water bridge on our way to the TTC. Out the west side of the monorail, between the Contemporary and the TTC and along the shore of Seven Seas Lagoon, is this land.

P1020746.JPG

P1020747.JPG

This land is in such a prime location, but to date has not been built on. Have you ever wondered why? Many of you probably know this, but the original plans for WDW called for a resort to be built on this piece of land....Disney's Venetian Resort.

They even made postcards for it.

Disneysvenetianresort.jpg

It was to be styled after old Venice, complete with canals. It was to open in October 1971, along with the rest of Disney World (as well as the never built Persian and Asian resorts), but was delayed. And then the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo hit, and it was shelved even longer. Eventually, the Grand Floridian was built on the proposed site of the Asian resort, but the Venetian and Persian resorts were never built at all.

This old map shows the location of the Venetian hotel...the land I photographed above. The Venetian was to be the pink hotel along the lagoon just north of the TTC. The Persian is the Taj Mahal looking hotel just east of the MK, along Bay Lake. And the Asian is where the GF was built.

old%252520disney%252520map.png

In the 1990's, during Eisner's time running Disney, another resort was proposed for the Persian site. It was to be a Mediteranean Resort, and would have been a Deluxe resort which was planned as a flagship property more spectacular than the GF.

Mediterranean%20Resort%20Concept%20Art.jpg

The land was actually cleared to begin construction. But apparently the ground in this location is too swampy, and testing indicated that the pilings to support the resort would have to be deeper than those for Spaceship Earth, making construction too costly. So once again, a resort at this site was scrapped.

In any case, all of these thoughts went through my mind as we glided overhead in the monorail. What a great location! Maybe someday a resort will be built here.

After a couple of stops at the TTC and the Poly, we arrived at the GF. This is a beautiful hotel! Not my kinda place to stay at, but nice nonetheless.

P1020748.JPG

P1020749.JPG

This cage is reportedly where they keep us campers if we don't wash up before visiting.

P1020750.JPG

Pretty impressive light fixture. That had to cost a bit.

P1020751.JPG

P1020753.JPG

I'd never noticed this old toy ferris wheel before.

P1020752.JPG

Man, I married up.

P1020756.JPG

P1020758.JPG

Well that's enough of the GF. We headed back onto the monorail, and as quite often happens to us, we stopped prior to reaching the MK station for traffic...right over the canal where they store the EWP barges.

P1020762.JPG

We sat here long enough that I was able to study the area a bit. It's interesting that there are stairs in several locations leading down to the barges.

P1020764.JPG

Here's a closer look at the stairs.

P1020765.JPG

There are 14 barges in the EWP, and it takes a crew of 5 pilots to operate each night. I assume the stairs are meant to line up with each barge that needs to be "driven". But I don't really know. In any case, it was interesting to get a good long look at the equipment and where they are docked.

After reaching the MK, we got off the monorail and hopped onto a boat back to the Fort. We saw the typical sights on the ride back.

I always get pics of the WL from Bay Lake, but don't think I've ever snapped one of the hotel from Seven Seas Lagoon. This is actually the roofline of the front of the hotel.

P1020766.JPG

P1020767.JPG

P1020769.JPG

P1020770.JPG

Izzy soaking up the views.

P1020774.JPG

I always like this perspective.

P1020776.JPG

A resort boat with the shoe tree in the background.

P1020778.JPG

P1020779.JPG

P1020780.JPG

Almost home.

P1020781.JPG

And that was our Chef Mickey's morning.

Coming up...some more looping, and some ponies!

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, got the video on youtube. Will try posting here...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pei4x-yXMs&feature=youtu.be

Wow, you are good. I even want to camp with your family.

The Beginning January 16, 2008. The dead of winter in St. Petersburg, Russia. The sun rises around 10:00am and sets by 3:00pm. It is a cold and dark day. (How do I know this? They’re ALL cold and d

I always like this perspective.

P1020776.JPG

If you ever have the pleasure of being on my bus when leaving MK, you'll notice that I floor it when approaching that water bridge. That's because I know that it will collapse at some point and I want to be under it for as little time as possible.

There always seems to be someone working on it and have you ever noticed the water in the roadway. It's not good.

Just kidding. I go fast in order to get to the top of the hill. Fully loaded buses have been known to get stuck if they stop under the water bridge.

Well that's enough of the GF. We headed back onto the monorail, and as quite often happens to us, we stopped prior to reaching the MK station for traffic...right over the canal where they store the EWP barges.

We sat here long enough that I was able to study the area a bit. It's interesting that there are stairs in several locations leading down to the barges.

P1020764.JPG

6 years ago I took my band to Disney and we marched in the electrical parade (at that time still called Spectro Magic...dumb name by the way). The area just off to the right of your pic (by the white truck) is the staging area for the marching bands before the parade. That's where our bus parked and where we got dressed/warmed up/etc. From there we walked by some storage buildings for parade equipment and so forth and then a long road up to the beginning of the parade route. It was pretty cool seeing everything backstage before the parade actually started. They took us by all of the electrical floats before they were lit up and warned us about seeing characters "out of character" back there. I was hoping to see a headless Mickey or something, but no luck. We were strictly warned to have no phones or cameras while back there.

While we were warming up in the staging area we were right next to the EWP boats.

What a perfect opportunity that would have been for Lou...

6 years ago I took my band to Disney and we marched in the electrical parade (at that time still called Spectro Magic...dumb name by the way). The area just off to the right of your pic (by the white truck) is the staging area for the marching bands before the parade. That's where our bus parked and where we got dressed/warmed up/etc. From there we walked by some storage buildings for parade equipment and so forth and then a long road up to the beginning of the parade route. It was pretty cool seeing everything backstage before the parade actually started. They took us by all of the electrical floats before they were lit up and warned us about seeing characters "out of character" back there. I was hoping to see a headless Mickey or something, but no luck. We were strictly warned to have no phones or cameras while back there. While we were warming up in the staging area we were right next to the EWP boats. What a perfect opportunity that would have been for Lou...

Your giving Lou ideas....

I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour a couple years ago and they took us back there where the floats are as well. Yes it's neat to see how they do some things but IMO backstage was overrated. We saw some Chip n Dales that were headless back behind the emporium smoking a cigarette no doubt.

It was pretty cool seeing everything backstage before the parade actually started.

What did you see that was cool?

When I hear that, I think it's more the fact that people are back stage rather than what they actually can see.

I'm back stage on a regular basis and I really can't say that there is much to look at.

Believe me, you really don't want to see what's behind the scenes at most locations. It can kill the magic.

I was hoping to see a headless Mickey or something, but no luck.

The CM's that are the characters have strict guidelines about being in or out of character, especially the major ones.

Even CM's are not supposed to see them partially dressed.

One of the drivers I work with sometimes plays "the beast" on the side and he had to look around to make sure no one was around before he told me who he played.

You can tell if a CM plays a major character because they'll be dressed in a Disney tee shirt and shorts and they'll have a wheeled luggage carrier with two black bags on it.

And we are not to ask them what character they play when we see one? We were trained to ask, who's your friend?

I have plenty of opportunities, it's the execution of a plan and not going to jail that's the challenge.

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry." I guess that applies to the hotels planned around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. I'm sure the stairs leading down the EWP barges reduce the risk of employee injury, by making it less likely that they slip! CYA!

Love the girls and characters!

Dave! I finally just caught up - it took a looooooong time, but it was worth it! I especially love the Epcot pictures where you inexplicably aged 10 years in an evening. I had a night like that one time in the MK. Only difference is that I was definitely not going to include that pic in my TR!

All your girls are so cute. You all really look like you have a great time together. I love reports that are heavy on family pictures, and this one is just that. Can't wait for more!

What the hell was she thinking? She must have had some premonitions about the girls with beautiful smiles that you could have.

I kept her drunk for quite a while when we were dating.

Great Great Great updates. Looks like the Dave in Tn gang had a great time at Chef Mickey's. Incidentally, the last time we were there we had the table just across from yours. It was loud and busy... but like you said it's close to the chow. That is the important thing. ;D

True that. Keep me close to the Mickey waffles.

If you ever have the pleasure of being on my bus when leaving MK, you'll notice that I floor it when approaching that water bridge. That's because I know that it will collapse at some point and I want to be under it for as little time as possible.

There always seems to be someone working on it and have you ever noticed the water in the roadway. It's not good.

Just kidding. I go fast in order to get to the top of the hill. Fully loaded buses have been known to get stuck if they stop under the water bridge.

Seriously? Those buses have trouble making it up that hill?

6 years ago I took my band to Disney and we marched in the electrical parade (at that time still called Spectro Magic...dumb name by the way). The area just off to the right of your pic (by the white truck) is the staging area for the marching bands before the parade. That's where our bus parked and where we got dressed/warmed up/etc. From there we walked by some storage buildings for parade equipment and so forth and then a long road up to the beginning of the parade route. It was pretty cool seeing everything backstage before the parade actually started. They took us by all of the electrical floats before they were lit up and warned us about seeing characters "out of character" back there. I was hoping to see a headless Mickey or something, but no luck. We were strictly warned to have no phones or cameras while back there.

While we were warming up in the staging area we were right next to the EWP boats.

Lou would never harm the EWP. He talks a big talk, but I think he's a closet EWP fan.

And very cool about marching in Spectromagic! I actually liked Spectro. And now I expect Kim to come along and tell me that Spectro sucked and the MSEP is SO much better and historical and all. :rofl3:

I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour a couple years ago and they took us back there where the floats are as well. Yes it's neat to see how they do some things but IMO backstage was overrated. We saw some Chip n Dales that were headless back behind the emporium smoking a cigarette no doubt.

Chip is a smoker. Dale has a drinking problem. Hence the red nose.

Your giving Lou ideas....

Lou doesn't need any more ideas.

The CM's that are the characters have strict guidelines about being in or out of character, especially the major ones.

One of the drivers I work with sometimes plays "the beast" on the side and he had to look around to make sure no one was around before he told me who he played.

You can tell if a CM plays a major character because they'll be dressed in a Disney tee shirt & shorts and they'll have a wheeled luggage carrier with two black bags on it.

And we are not to ask them what character they play when we see one? We were trained to ask, who's your friend?

So if a guest asks a CM "who's your friend?" will they answer...or only CM's?

Another great update!!! Although you did say ya'll were gonna walk off your breakfast. I was kinda expecting to see a walk from the GF to TTC!!! That is really a nice walk.

We've walked from TTC to the Poly...but never all the way to the GF. Have to do that sometime.

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry." I guess that applies to the hotels planned around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. I'm sure the stairs leading down the EWP barges reduce the risk of employee injury, by making it less likely that they slip! CYA!

Love the girls and characters!

I can't imagine another 2 major resorts in the MK area along the water. It would seem like overkill to me...but maybe that's just because I'm used to the open space.

Great update, Dave. Looks like a perfect way to spend a day!

Thanks Doodle!

Dave! I finally just caught up - it took a looooooong time, but it was worth it! I especially love the Epcot pictures where you inexplicably aged 10 years in an evening. I had a night like that one time in the MK. Only difference is that I was definitely not going to include that pic in my TR!

All your girls are so cute. You all really look like you have a great time together. I love reports that are heavy on family pictures, and this one is just that. Can't wait for more!

Thank you Leslie...thanks for reading and thanks for the comments!

Finally caught back up!

Great pics of the family!

Gabriella has been terrified all masked characters since our trip to Chef Mickey's in '09. She won't go near them. Wonder if we could skip IASW if I convinced her that the dolls turned their heads and spit blood?

Sounds like you have a choice to make. Either suck it up and go through small world a few times, or commit now to paying for years of therapy for her fear of dolls and small children.

Great update Dave! Eating and lounging days are my favorite vacation days.

Same here...LOVE those lazy Fort days.

Thank goodness for lazy saturdays so i can catch up on my trip report reading.

As far as the picture of Ariel - my 16yog thought that was maybe Ursula when she just looked like Ariel, only creepier?

And I too am a Dame Judy Densch fan. She does comedy and bosses James Bond around!

What did you see that was cool?

When I hear that, I think it's more the fact that people are back stage rather than what they actually can see.

I'm back stage on a regular basis and I really can't say that there is much to look at.

Believe me, you really don't want to see what's behind the scenes at most locations. It can kill the magic.

You can tell if a CM plays a major character because they'll be dressed in a Disney tee shirt & shorts and they'll have a wheeled luggage carrier with two black bags on it.

I have plenty of opportunities, it's the execution of a plan and not going to jail that's the challenge.

Well, I just enjoy seeing how the magic happens. Doesn't really ruin it for me.

Interesting about the character stuff.

We've walked from TTC to the Poly...but never all the way to the GF. Have to do that sometime.

We (Kathy, Cheryl, Jeff and I) walked from the poly to the GF in October, I had never done that before and it was a nice walk. When we got over to the wedding chapel they had the names of people who had been married at the chapel, I am betting they were 80% Japanese couples.

I can't imagine another 2 major resorts in the MK area along the water. It would seem like overkill to me...but maybe that's just because I'm used to the open space.

I think it would make a cool promenade around the lake

Seriously? Those buses have trouble making it up that hill?

Not all buses, mostly the real old buses that are being phased out.

Some of those, when fully loaded, have trouble getting going on a flat road never-mind a hill.

Lou would never harm the EWP. He talks a big talk, but I think he's a closet EWP fan.

Wrong!

So if a guest asks a CM "who's your friend?" will they answer...or only CM's?

When they travel, they don't come in contact with guests. They have their own shuttle vans.

I've only seen them back stage, on CM shuttles, or in CM only areas.

On Sunday afternoon, after returning from our Chef Mickey's breakfast and our outing to the GF, I did a bit more looping with the kids while Anna was napping.

It didn't take long to find something interesting....right in my own 500 loop.

Check out what was parked in one of the sites.

P1020782.JPG

Hmm, that's kinda strange. But what is this parked in the sight next door??

P1020784.JPG

And what is in the sight across the road???

P1020783.JPG

Ok, something is going on. Two ambulances, a fire chief truck and a firetruck from RCFD in the loop is not something you see everyday. Thankfully, it turned out not to be an emergency. That truck camper you see in the background of the firetruck pic above was owned by a RCFD fireman who was camping at the Fort. And some of his buddies from the fire department came over for lunch. So no big deal. Time to move on.

We looped through 1600 and 1700 to see if any Fiends were out and about. I think I saw Jen and said hello...but otherwise it was pretty quiet. Looped through 1900 too...I think that's where this guy was. This has already been posted in TCD's report (I think) but it's pretty wild looking anyways.

P1020785.JPG

Headed back to the site to see if Anna was up yet. She wasn't, but we had a visitor.

P1020788.JPG

Back in our early Fortin days, those things were very interesting to the kids. Now they've seen so many of them that no one pays attention anymore. But I snapped a pic anyways.

The dogs would love to go chasing lizards.

P1020792.JPG

Before long Anna was up, and we headed down to the TCD Farm to check out the ponies.

P1020799.JPG

For several years now, it has been a tradition for Stella to ride a pony. The pony rides are one of the Fort's greatest treasures IMO. For $5 you get to enjoy a simple, quiet and old fashioned experience. We love it, and the older girls love participating even though they long ago grew too tall to ride a pony.

And sadly...Stella has now reached that stage. The height limit for the pony rides is 48". Which is exactly how tall Stella is now. So she was able to ride. But I bet this was her last pony ride. :(

But we really enjoyed it!

Waiting to get on the pony.

P1020793.JPG

Ready to go.

P1020794.JPG

P1020795.JPG

P1020796.JPG

One thing I love about the pony rides is that you can pretty much go at your own pace. You lead the pony yourselves around the path, and you can stop and/or go as slow as you want. We've done this lots of times, and never had anyone else there at the same time that we would be holding up.

P1020797.JPG

Stella has ridden several different ponies before....Nemo and Snow are memorable. But she had never ridden this one before.

P1020798.JPG

So Stella's last Fort pony ride was on Cricket.

P1020800.JPG

Although we took our time, it wasn't long and we reached the disembarking platform. So Stella got off. And the nice woman that works there quite often (I forget her name....she is from Maine) told us we could take Anna around if we wanted, or just put her on the pony for pictures. So we sat her on Cricket to see what she thought.

P1020801.JPG

P1020802.JPG

P1020804.JPG

She wasn't scared, but didn't seem particularly excited to be on the pony either. So we didn't take her for a ride, figuring that there will be plenty of opportunities in the future. This was Stella's time...her last time. And on our next Fort trip, the baton will be passed down to Anna.

We headed back to the camper for some dinner....left over GAG is my memory serves me correctly. And that evening we headed back to the WL for something sweet.

Anna was excited to be heading out again. The kid loves adventures!

P1020807.JPG

Before long we arrived at Roaring Forks and proceeded to select our desserts. One of the girls opted for a cupcake.

P1020809.JPG

A couple of the kids had the soft serve ice cream. It's good ice cream, but it would be lots better if they had toppings like hot fudge and sprinkles. The self serve ice cream station at the GF counter service restaurant has toppings, in case you are interested. But it's a lot easier to get to the WL from the Fort than to the GF.

P1020811.JPG

INC and I had a magic cookie bar again. Man, I love those things!

P1020814.JPG

And that was that. Another Fort day was over. But we still had 5 more to go! And we had several things still coming up to look forward to on our trip....including dinner on Monday at Ohana, a secret mission with TCD, our 1st ever TITWIT Grand Gathering, and Thanksgiving Day! So there is plenty more to come in this report...if I haven't bored you to sleep yet.

So stay tuned!

Coming up next...Breakfast on the Porch, Statz Baby #6, and Is That A Moose???

Wow, great update Dave!! Looks like a nice afternoon at the Fort!!

Couple comments. It sounds like there are several RCFD folks that camp!! One of my T@B friends works for RC EMS. One day, I had a bunch of folks over and she rides through my loop in her truck and hops out and we start hugging and chatting. Folks thought it was a bit strange. Why was this EMS truck in our loop!!! ??? LOL Also, just before the Halloween Golf Cart parade, there was a big Fire Truck parked on the road near hitch and unhitch and the crew was playing frisbee or tag football out in the big field. I thought they were just killing time before they led the parade, but shortly before the parade started, they all loaded up in the truck and left the Fort. So it sounds like the Reedy Creek folks LOVE the Fort!!!!

Also, another rule inconsistency going on here!!!! I had read in a report once that on the pony rides, the rider and the adult leader had to have on closed toe shoes. Somebody was actually denied a pony ride cause the parent was wearing sandles, yet Stella was clearly wearing flip flops!!! Both your girls looked darling up on that pony!!!

Mmmmm deserts at Roaring Forks, COOL!!!!

just before the Halloween Golf Cart parade, there was a big Fire Truck parked on the road near hitch and unhitch and the crew was playing frisbee or tag football out in the big field. I thought they were just killing time before they led the parade, but shortly before the parade started, they all loaded up in the truck and left the Fort. So it sounds like the Reedy Creek folks LOVE the Fort!!!!

I'm sure I took pics of this for my TR but can't find them anywhere so I'll share what I know here instead... that's the way they train. We we told the RCFD used the frisbee/football/baseball and whatever else they did there daily in the field the weeks before & after halloween as drills.

We hung around and watched from the sidelines one day, and from across the street another day, b/c it seemed really cool to us that they'd be allowed to hang out playing sports at the fort in between calls. We figured it was their lunch break or something.

That's when we were told they were drills in preparation for a test or evaluation of some kind. Later in the week, a fort bus driver randomly asked us if we'd seen them and said the same thing. I'm guessing it must have been true b/c we didn't ever see them playing in the same place around Thanksgiving...