From Moscow to Mickey – My Little Girl’s Journey to the Fort (DaveInTN and Family Spend Thanksgiving With The Fiends!)

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, got the video on youtube. Will try posting here...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pei4x-yXMs&feature=youtu.be

Wow, you are good. I even want to camp with your family.

The Beginning January 16, 2008. The dead of winter in St. Petersburg, Russia. The sun rises around 10:00am and sets by 3:00pm. It is a cold and dark day. (How do I know this? They’re ALL cold and d

I think it was a great idea to have Anna sit on the pony it might help so she will be ready to take a ride the next visit to the Fort. You take some great pictures and it sure looks like everyone is having a great time, thanks for posting them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bored never. Pony rides are classic, deserts are yummy, the car was certainly something, the dogs are darlin... and I'll be waiting for the next post so I can use more adjectives.

Glad I can help with your adjective use. I'll try to post again later before I leave to travel for work this week.

Ohhh how sweet! Stella's pony, Cricket, was the first pony Lil H rode at the Fort. :) He has exceeded the height limit too. :(

Aww. Maybe H and Stella can compare Cricket notes at SMGG.

Also, another rule inconsistency going on here!!!! I had read in a report once that on the pony rides, the rider and the adult leader had to have on closed toe shoes. Somebody was actually denied a pony ride cause the parent was wearing sandles, yet Stella was clearly wearing flip flops!!! Both your girls looked darling up on that pony!!!

That's weird. We've ridden the ponies many times and I don't ever recall an issue with flip flops. Stella lives in flip flops. Now the trail rides are a different story. They require closed toed shoes for sure to ride the horses. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a CM working the ponies before that made that a personal rule. I just don't remember ever seeing anything regarding it. And they don't have too many rules posted at all.

DSCF3817.jpg

I'm sure I took pics of this for my TR but can't find them anywhere so I'll share what I know here instead... that's the way they train. We we told the RCFD used the frisbee/football/baseball and whatever else they did there daily in the field the weeks before & after halloween as drills.

We hung around and watched from the sidelines one day, and from across the street another day, b/c it seemed really cool to us that they'd be allowed to hang out playing sports at the fort in between calls. We figured it was their lunch break or something.

That's when we were told they were drills in preparation for a test or evaluation of some kind. Later in the week, a fort bus driver randomly asked us if we'd seen them and said the same thing. I'm guessing it must have been true b/c we didn't ever see them playing in the same place around Thanksgiving...

I do remember reading about that now that you mention it.

Stella looks like a real cowgirls up this on that steed. Anna looks like she is read to go.

I saw it, I ain't bitin'.

Saw what, Bob?

Looks like "Spell Check" didn't catch your misspelling of Moose. I know you meant Mouse.

No, moose is correct.

And that is the only thing in that line that caught your attention? ;)

I think it was a great idea to have Anna sit on the pony it might help so she will be ready to take a ride the next visit to the Fort. You take some great pictures and it sure looks like everyone is having a great time, thanks for posting them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Now we have to go back asap so that Anna can actually ride!

Another wonderful update! But, it makes me even more eager to get to FW, as my youngest is already 47 inches tall!

Wow Marty! Your baby is that tall? It goes by so quickly, doesn't it:?

I'm glad that you were able to get to the Fort before Stella was too tall. It's nice to have pictures to commemorate her last pony ride! I just love the way her face lights up when she smiles!

Statz baby #6...is this report gonna become x rated?

No...most definitely not x rated. :))

No, I saw it. I figured you'd explain it at some point.

Ok...and I will. At some point.

:bravo:

Thank you sir.

I saw the firefighters too and wondered what was going on. Now I know. Thanks :)

Love the pony ride pictures!!

Ok I'm ready for more. :popcorn:

Ok, will try to post an update yet this afternoon.

Anna, "Really dad?? This thing doesn't move? I don't believe you."

:laugh:

Dave, I have finally caught up with your updates, wonderful as always. I could detect the sadness over Stella's last ride, it's funny how those little things affect us so much. Thank the Lord above you have Anna to provide you a few more years of those kinds of precious moments that only the little ones bring. Again, thank you for sharing your beautiful family, I'm very much looking forward to SM 2012!

Our Super Fast Dead Kenny Cart

One last thing to note about Sunday, before I move onto Monday morning.

On Sunday afternoon, while cruising in our 6 passenger Kenny cart up Ft Wilderness Trail, the cart just died. No power...even though the batteries were full. I coasted off into the grass near the 700 loop, across from the 500 loop CS. Like I've said before, I'm a blessed man. My cart died a 90 second walk from my campsite! Anyways, I called Kenny and he happened to be in the Fort then with his truck and trailer, so he swung by and I helped him push it onto the trailer. He took it for almost two days to fix it, but left a 4 passenger cart for part of the time to use. And Lorna and Richie let us use one of their carts too for the day. Woo hoo! Thank you L&R!! Oh, and the best part is, after Kenny brought our 6 passenger cart back to us, he was MORE than fair and refunded us money for the days he had to take it. Great customer service!

Ok, so on to Monday morning. We got spiked this morning!!

P1020817.JPG

Thanks Andrew!!! This spike will have a prominent location in our trailer. I need to decide how to display it, but it's going up. Maybe in a display box with one of our horseshoes.

After getting spiked, it was time to decide on breakfast. One of the things I'd wanted to do at the Fort on this trip was get one of the new bagel breakfast sandwiches from Trails End takeout and sit in a rocker on the porch to eat it. So that's what we did!

P1020822.JPG

You can order the sandwich by itself for around $6, or for a dollar more get a side of potatoes or fruit. We opted for the fruit.

P1020824.JPG

And I got a dish of oatmeal for Anna.

P1020823.JPG

The sandwich was pretty tasty. I'd definitely order it again. In fact, I DID order it again a few days later!

After breakfast we played some checkers. I won't tell you who won, but it was a male member of our family.

P1020825.JPG

Thinking hard. Or hardly thinking.

P1020826.JPG

We took Anna over to the playground for a bit.

P1020828.JPG

Her beer gut is hanging out.

P1020829.JPG

P1020830.JPG

P1020832.JPG

Stella would fill this cup up all day if you let her.

P1020833.JPG

We played some horseshoes.

P1020836.JPG

P1020840.JPG

P1020842.JPG

I walked around the porch area a bit to check things out. I remember speculation in years past about the building behind Crockett's Tavern, and what it was built for. I used to think it would make a great counter service location. But then someone (I think TCD) was snooping around behind it and determined it is just a shell building to conceal a storage area. Boo! But at least they designed it to look like it fits into an Old West, Wilderness theme.

P1020845.JPG

In the days when I thought it was an old restaurant or tavern location...I guess I never looked close enough to see that the doors aren't even real. Those are fake doors!

P1020844.JPG

No hinges, or hardware of any kind. And if you look closely you can see that they are just part of the wall. Nice job though, Disney! They look real.

I also enjoy looking at all the old details on the TE porch, like these lanterns. I wonder if these are original to the building?

P1020846.JPG

P1020847.JPG

So far, this has been a great morning! And it was going to get better.

We went back to the campsite, and the girls decided to drop a line into the canal behind 500.

P1020818.JPG

P1020819.JPG

P1020820.JPG

There was nothing biting in the canal on this trip. In the past, we've pulled some nice catfish out of that exact canal. But not this time. Although Gwen did have luck fishing on this trip. Only not in the canal. It was in the lake near at the Meadows. And she wasn't catching fish. She caught two turtles!

After they were done fishing, we all decided a bike ride would be great. And we love biking to the WL. So we did!

Off we went to the Lodge. And since we were going to be there at lunch time...why not hit Roaring Forks. So we did! :)

I opted for some chili this time. We had BIG dinner plans for that evening, and I didn't want to eat too big of a lunch.

P1020848.JPG

INC had a tuna salad sandwich. It was huge! So of course I ate half of it.

P1020851.JPG

After lunch, we walked around a bit. And then we headed back to the bikes. On the ride home, we encountered yet more deer.

P1020852.JPG

I like how this pic turned out. What are YOU looking at??

P1020853.JPG

Such a peaceful spot.

P1020854.JPG

P1020855.JPG

This day was only getting better!!

While Anna was napping, I took the rest of the girls to the pool.

Stella loves the splash area.

P1020857.JPG

P1020858.JPG

P1020859.JPG

And that brings us up to our evening.

Coming up....Ohhhh…..(wait for it)…..HANA!!!!

PLUS: Statz Baby #6

Dave, I have finally caught up with your updates, wonderful as always. I could detect the sadness over Stella's last ride, it's funny how those little things affect us so much. Thank the Lord above you have Anna to provide you a few more years of those kinds of precious moments that only the little ones bring. Again, thank you for sharing your beautiful family, I'm very much looking forward to SM 2012!

Thanks Judy! Yeah, it is sad to me. But that's life I guess.

We can't wait for Stone Mtn!!!!!

I'm finally caught up! I'm very discouraged from starting my own TR, as there's no way I can compete with those darn girls! (You're not bad yourself Dave ;) )

I'm very curious about Statz Baby #6.

You had chili for lunch? :holysheep:

I've come to realize, via this report, that we've not spent enough time at the Fort. We've always spent more time in the parks than at the Fort. Although, we also love to bike the trail to WL.

1. Love stella's face.

2. Anna makes an adorable advertisement for Snarky.

3. I had no idea you could play horseshoes there.

4. That first deer picture almost looks like an action shot.

I hate not being able to access FF at work, I was behind 109 posts on this thread and it took me all day to read. Luckily it is good reading! Great pics and now that I am caught up , I forgot what I was going to ask. Oh well, continue sir.

Best Regards,

Norm

Great update, Dave!. I am making a list of foods to try, the breakfast sandwich is at the top! That tuna looks darn good too!

I'm bracing myself for Ohhhhana!! So anytime you're ready. :))

Are you sure you're prepared??

I'm finally caught up! I'm very discouraged from starting my own TR, as there's no way I can compete with those darn girls! (You're not bad yourself Dave ;) )

I'm very curious about Statz Baby #6.

You had chili for lunch? :holysheep:

Oh, I'm sure your TR can stand just fine on its own. Red solo cups always trump children on the interest meter. :rofl2:

I've come to realize, via this report, that we've not spent enough time at the Fort. We've always spent more time in the parks than at the Fort. Although, we also love to bike the trail to WL.

1. Love stella's face.

2. Anna makes an adorable advertisement for Snarky.

3. I had no idea you could play horseshoes there.

4. That first deer picture almost looks like an action shot.

You should plan a non-park Fort trip someday. It really is an awesome place in its own right!

Hmmmmm... Chili for lunch? That's not foreshadowing. That's totally giving it away.

:rofl2:

Am I that obvious? Or was I that stupid? :rofl3:

I hate not being able to access FF at work, I was behind 109 posts on this thread and it took me all day to read. Luckily it is good reading! Great pics and now that I am caught up , I forgot what I was going to ask. Oh well, continue sir.

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks for continuing to read along Norm!

Love the installment about the pony rides. I remember when Kelly could no longer ride. It was a bit sad that my baby was growing up. Her favorite pony was Tonka. I remember his name still today.

Great report. We tried one of those bagel sandwiches on Sunday morning also.

Does anyone notice something missing in this picture? :unsure:

well it looks like the deer is missing it's head....I just guessed it was turned the other way since it looks like there are ears showing from the back but on second look was it photo shopped out?

Edited by rebelstand

Dave, I can't figure out how to just quote one pic so I'll just say pic number 9 on your last installment brought immediate tears to my eyes. I don't know why, I guess it's just because we all know Anna's story and to see that look on her face and know what we know how could it not make a joyful tear appear. Sorry if I sound sissy-ish.