From Moscow to Mickey – My Little Girl’s Journey to the Fort (DaveInTN and Family Spend Thanksgiving With The Fiends!)

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, got the video on youtube. Will try posting here...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pei4x-yXMs&feature=youtu.be

Wow, you are good. I even want to camp with your family.

The Beginning January 16, 2008. The dead of winter in St. Petersburg, Russia. The sun rises around 10:00am and sets by 3:00pm. It is a cold and dark day. (How do I know this? They’re ALL cold and d

Well we've arrived at Wednesday morning...the day before Thanksgiving. And the day of our Turkeys In The World Intoxication Tour, aka TITWIT. But TITWIT came on Wednesday evening. And we are only at Wednesday morning. I don't want to rush things. So let's begin where we usually do...with some early morning looping.

As was our habit on this trip, Anna and I took off for some looping while the rest of the gang slept. We spotted some ducks walking through our loop looking for breakfast.

P1020998.JPG

P1020999.JPG

I do enjoy me some roasted duck with saurkraut...a fact which these ducks must have known, as they scurried off when we got near.

We headed over to 1200 to see if TCD was up. And he was. I pulled the cart up and we chatted for a bit. Anna was just sitting in the seat next to me, but little did I know she was staking out TCD for a hug. And it didn't take long for her to spring it on him. She gave him her standard, arms wide open smile, and before long she was in his arms.

P1030002.JPG

And she kept hugging him! And when he went to put her down, she hugged again. She obviously knows how to charm a person.

The funny thing is, when he came by our site later on that day, she RAN to him for another hug. Anna is obviously a TCD fan.

After that, we headed back to the site and picked up some more of the girls.

We cruised down to the marina.

P1030001.JPG

We looped around for a bit, then decided we might enjoy some breakfast at the WL. So we hopped on our bikes and pedaled over to Roaring Forks.

When we parked our bikes at the Lodge, we saw this squirrel with a mouthful!

P1030003.JPG

P1030004.JPG

DOODLE!!! Focus Doodle! Forget about the squirrel!

Ok, onward to Roaring Forks.

If you haven't been to RF for breakfast recently, I can tell you that you should. It was awesome. They have several different types of Mickey waffles on the menu.

Chocolate Chip Mickey Waffles

P1030005.JPG

Bananas Foster Mickey Waffles

P1030006.JPG

Wilderness Waffles, with candied pecans and maple butter

P1030007.JPG

All of the waffles were very good. We would definitely go back here for breakfast.

After breakfast, we rode our bikes back to the Fort and went to the playground near the 300 loop.

P1030009.JPG

P1030010.JPG

P1030011.JPG

P1030012.JPG

P1030013.JPG

P1030014.JPG

P1030015.JPG

Ok, is that enough pics of that?

Apparently not. One more to bring nightmares to all of you.

P1030016.JPG

There. Picture that when you're trying to fall asleep tonight.

Anna had some fun on the slide.

P1030021.JPG

And she loves climbing.

P1030024.JPG

That might not seem like a big deal...but having the strength and balance to do that is pretty amazing for her. She is doing so well. She's a strong kid!

P1030025.JPG

And that's that.

We are done on the playground.

I'm sure you've seen enough playground pictures to last you a while.

And that brings us to Wednesday evening. And Wednesday evening was TITWIT. Which I will cover in my very next update.

Sorry Lorna. :rofl3:

Focus! How can I focus, when you not only post a picture of a squirrel, but one with a mouthful of nuts! :blink:

Great update, Dave! I can't get over how much Anna has grown. I can't wait to see her at SM.

Don't mention Nuts.. stef will get distracted too.

Don't apologize for being snarky! Snark away! :))

Oh yeah!

Right on, Lou!

can't get away with anything around here....except displaying my snarky

Now on to the post -

1. I want Anna hugs.

2. I want chocolate chip mickey pancakes

3. I want Anna hugs.

4. TCD is hogging all the pixie dust/disney magic.

5. There are never enough playground pictures... except for THAT one.

6. I want Anna hugs.

7. You should catch those ducks...

8. did I mention I want Anna hugs?

I want Anna hugs too! I do not want choco chip waffles. That's so last year.

On the other hand... the wilderness waffles were to die for. :heart:

and yes, I can say that with a hand on hip while snapping my fingers too... :rofl2:

P1030002.JPG

I love this picture!! That's 2 of the cutest fiends I've ever seen. :heart: I have to admit I'm jealous on both of their ends.

The waffle pictures have me starving now. Yum!!

Your picture at the playground did not give me nightmares, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Your family is lucky to have you!

Bring on the Lorna pics!!! >:D

I love this picture!! That's 2 of the cutest fiends I've ever seen. :heart: I have to admit I'm jealous on both of their ends.

The waffle pictures have me starving now. Yum!!

Your picture at the playground did not give me nightmares, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Your family is lucky to have you!

Bring on the Lorna pics!!! >:D

I like that picture too. The both looked pleased as bunch to be just were they are. Stef, you might need to watch that Anna. Looks like she's trying to push you to the side..... :rofl2:

I love this photo too!:

P1030002.JPG

And, if you would all indulge me for just a moment, I would like to give my side of this story.

I, of course, knew that Dave, Christy and their family had adopted Anna earlier this year.

And, from that story, I knew that Anna had spent her life to that point in an orphanage.

In Russia.

From what little I know about these kinds of things, I know that we have no idea what that child had been through up to that point in her life.

I also know, that if Dave and Christy had not gone to the lengths they did to adopt Anna, she would probably spend the rest of her life in a not-so-nice institution in Russia.

So, when I finally got a chance to meet her, I expected her to be shy and withdrawn.

Boy, was I surprised.

This little girl was so open and outgoing that it totally surprised me.

As far as I know, she doesn't talk much, but when she saw me, she held out her arms wide open and had a giant smile on her face!

She didn't know me from Adam, but this girl apparently trusts and loves everybody.

That is a testament to Dave and his family.

And, boy can that little girl hug!

When I tried to give her back to Dave, she hugged me tighter.

She was obviously pulling Dave's chain.

He told her that he had to keep her, because he promised the Russian judge that he would.

She reluctantly let go of my neck and went back to Dad.

This little meeting had a big impact on me.

I don't think I will ever forget this.

I am a firm believer that it is in giving that we receive.

And, I have no doubt at all that Dave, Christy, and all of their wonderful daughters have been an unbelievable blessing to sweet little Anna, but she is even a bigger blessing to them.

I have to say, this was the highlight of my trip.

And maybe my year.

Dave, Christy and their girls are what folks in the South call good people!

TCD

I love this photo too!:

P1030002.JPG

Boy, was I surprised.

This little meeting had a big impact on me.

I don't think I will ever forget this.

I am a firm believer that it is in giving that we receive.

I have to say, this was the highlight of my trip.

And maybe my year.

Dave, Christy and their girls are what folks in the South call good people!

TCD

I agree with all you said but the look on your face is something to see. It is surprise, joy, appreciation and the face of a parent whose children are no longer toddlers enjoying some of the precious baby love they no longer get from their own. It really is a very beautiful photo and it really speaks.

I agree with all you said but the look on your face is something to see. It is surprise, joy, appreciation and the face of a parent whose children are no longer toddlers enjoying some of the precious baby love they no longer get from their own. It really is a very beautiful photo and it really speaks.

You are right on the money on all of that!

I actually told the TCD twins that I want to get me a Russian baby.

TCD

Dave, just a few comments as I've got about 3 seconds before Izzy puts more dog food in the fish tank..

I think TE Pizza is awesome, but I have never had one prior to several frozen concoctions so my judgement could be blurred a bit..

Those waffles from WL are calling my name.. I literally just wrote myself a post it note to remember to move that to the top of my todo list for our next trip (whenever that maybe, but I'm ALWAYS planning)

The picture of you at the playground, that looks like it might have caused you a little pain the next day. I hope everything is where it's suppose to be and healing well (assuming injury pursued..)

I can't even talk about the Anna and TCD picture, I don't have time to cry at the moment..

off to clean the fish tank..