TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving at the Fort Trip Report

I believe this sign is back stage in the restricted area at the Fort.

totempoles3.jpg

Bald Eagles are rare but not that uncommon in this area and in Florida as a whole. Florida had or has the largest Bald Eagle population in US except for Alsaka.

I see them from time to time where I live.

I don't know if it still exists but there was a sanctuary in the Tallahassee area where injured or sick birds were treated and released if possible.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit as the mother of 4 young children I can't even imagine what the day will be like when our kids go on "an adventure" without parental supervision. Most of our trips are more like your Hal

Somethings just can't be topped.. and you my friend are the winner for today.. :bellringer:

Neat! My thesis focused on the assimilation efforts (through education) and the Carlisle Indian School. I first got interested in Native American studies after learning about the Trail of Tears on my

Bald Eagles are rare but not that uncommon in this area and in Florida as a whole. Florida had or has the largest Bald Eagle population in US except for Alsaka.

I see them from time to time where I live.

I don't know if it still exists but there was a sanctuary in the Tallahassee area where injured or sick birds were treated and released if possible.

I used to work at Big Bend Wildlife Sanctuary - we handled Bats To Bears, Hummingbirds to Eagles, literally!

We had three orphaned Golden Bats (they were too young to fly and Mother was carrying them when she was shot. We had to make special feed; train them to echolocate live insects ... and then teach them to fly! FUN!

We had orphaned Black Bear cubs shipped to us from all over the Southeast - Arkansas being the furthest, because we had a program to raise the bear cubs AND have successful releases back to the wild ... which is DAMNED hard! When Exxon Valdiz happened, we we volunteered to take in any orphaned KODIAK bear cubs - up to 12 - and Exxon was going to expand our facilities and provide food. Thankfully, their were none. We did take in a mature Male Black Bear - all 600+ pounds of him (NORM!). I was the only one that felt confident enough to take care of him ... and he, too, was successfully released.

Did I tell you about the 4 1/2 foot alligator with the broken snout (ran over by a car) ... I had to hand feed him cut up fish with a set of BIG chopsticks! He was just a big baby - used his tongue to take the fish and was NEVER aggressive. None of the animals we took in were aggressive for that manner - they knew we were helping them. Even the Skunk that gave birth while in rehab never sprayed!

Feeding baby birds is an art in itself - feeding baby hummingbirds is doubly so!

We received a nest of Bald Eagles that were orphaned by a hurricane (the nest was blown out of a tree and carried who knows how far - the parents never found them). Two were successfully released; the third had a broken wing from the fall, and never recovered to the releasable stage. He entered our Educational program.

Yes, we were State and Federally licensed to rehabilitate ALL wildlife - including Endangered and Venomous ones. We also had State and Federal licenses for specific Birds and Animals to use in an Educational program that we put on at Schools, State and National Parks as well as other events we were invited to that we felt were worth our time and effort.

If it helps, I was State and Federally licensed as well as IWRC Certified for Rehab ... don't do this on your own!

I would love to give you the usual number lists of comments but I've covered too many pages to even remember them all.

1. Love the totem poles.

2. TCD Oldest DD is adorable in that pictures.

3. That was one serious Dole whip.... someone has a lot to beat live up to

4. Great Pixie Dust on the FP for TT

5. I'm back to nag you... should you ever not post 3 updates in one day.

Yes those kids were quite rude we went by Dave's site one night to see If they were out(which they weren't) as we were putting by so we didn't run over anybody they go and start mouthing off to me about driving through the loop. Since my little girl was a sleep on the cart I let it go. That was where the rangers needed to be.

Is it possible to make a "Assclown" emoticon?

According to my man handbook "How sweet is that?" is fine for a man to say, but "to die for" is not.

So, I'm good.

I never do any hands on the hips or finger snapping.

As long as it is in the man handbook... and there's no hands on the hips or finger snapping.

I feel relieved. Whew!

Once again.... I'm tired of saying it but I'm going to say it again anyway.... GREAT UPDATE!!! I am going to have to explore the horse trail now. Looks like a great place for a walk to me! ;)

I am actually not completely anti-purchasing bricks or squares of tombstone but I hate that they are right in the courtyard area and you have to go around them. That area used to look much nicer. Location. Location. Location.

We have disagreed on some things recently, but I am right on with you here. That area looks like a creepy, cluttered mess to me. Like some memorial on the National Mall after an earthquake.

Very cool updates...I love the totem poles. In fact, you've given me an idea for my next trip. I am going to climb one of those suckers and get my picture taken up there.

That would be cool, however I've got a feelin if you climbed, both the pole and you would fall over with rot!!!

Wow great find!! The sad thing is we rode right past those things on horseback the day before and I didn't see those or the wagon. I guess my DH was right I'm not very observant.

We have eagles up here too. Two winters ago we had about 30 eagles along our little river that runs through town. They drew a lot of attention from all over the state.

Great pic of the older TCD DD at the fort! How old were the twins on their first trip? Have any pics??

Very cool updates...I love the totem poles. In fact, you've given me an idea for my next trip. I am going to climb one of those suckers and get my picture taken up there.

I would pay good money to see this happen! :batman: However I agree with Carol they would probably rot and fall over. Dave and INC are you gonna be there next Thanksgiving again? We decided to go next Christmas cause we can stay for a longer period of time.

Maybe someone should "borrow" a couple of them(the totems) then we could all "share" them at our sites for all to enjoy again.

Loved the old wagon and the totem poles! I vaguely remember totem poles at the Fort from when I was younger.

I've always wanted to go horseback riding at the Fort. Guess that's another thing on my Bucket List.

There are a lot of Fiends with photos on the tombstones.

Maybe we need to move them all to the Fort.

I love the monorail to Epcot too, but we almost always take the bus. (WDW bus drivers rock!)

TCD

I could go for that.

And, yes, we do enjoy the buses sometimes. Love the a/c in the summer.

You know, Pam, you just put your finger on something that I have noticed quite a lot of lately.

Mrs. TCD is a pre-school teacher.

The other night she came from her school's Christmas program quite upset. I asked her if the kids were bad. She told me it wasn't the kids- it was the parents. They all set up around the stage taking videos and photos and refused to return to their seats despite repeated requests from the school's director that they not crowd the stage and block the views of those behind them. These parents simply ignored the director, and ruined the show for those who got to watch their backs.

Back in the day, when the TCD girls were in preschool, you wouldn't see this kind of behavior from parents.

This is just a small example of some of the things Mrs. TCD deals with these days.

It is a scary thought what kind of example these parents are setting for their children.

TCD

As a preschooler teacher, I completely agree.

Phew! I'm back (in between lunch and Epcot)

The totem poles are a great find!!!

I refuse to answer the "how do you like me now" question, as I think the answer to that has been established MANY times. I couldn't like you anymore now than I always have, totem poles, or no totem poles!

Dave and INC are you gonna be there next Thanksgiving again? We decided to go next Christmas cause we can stay for a longer period of time.

I looked into reservations for the week after Christmas into early January...the price for a site was outrageous! So I'm making a Thanksgiving reservation again I guess...but like you if we went during Christmas break we could go for longer. We'll see.

Now, I'm really looking forward to our next trip. :rofl2:

you weren't looking forward to it before?

I looked into reservations for the week after Christmas into early January...the price for a site was outrageous! So I'm making a Thanksgiving reservation again I guess...but like you if we went during Christmas break we could go for longer. We'll see.

think 4th of July..think 4th of July.......THINK 4th of July...........4th of July........Julyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

We did Christmas at the Fort last year and it was fantastic... but I'm afraid this year might be a bit of a let down.