ImDownWithDisney @ The Fort during Thanksgiving

Well, I am not much of a writer, but I will give it my best shot.....

To say that this trip was heavily anticipated would be an understatement. As a family we had been looking forward to it since January...when I made the ressies.

Personally, I had been preparing for months. I had a lot of little projects on the truck and camper that I wanted to complete before setting out on such a long trip. Thankfully, all of the work, mods, and such worked flawlessly and made for a less stressful experience. I think it was time and money well spent.

Nov 18th/19th

We had planned on leaving about 3 pm. I had already hooked up the truck and packed most of our stuff by Thursday. We pulled out of the shop and hit the road a few minutes after 3....that's the way I like to start a trip.

Normally we go through ATL on our way to the Fort, but after chatting with some Fiends (mainly TnBob I think) I decided to try a different route....I-65 to Montgomery, and hit Hwy 231 to I-10.

A few hours later all of our stomachs were empty. Luckily we were near Prattville, AL, and I knew of a Walmart with a Zaxby's out front. One thing about having a bigger rig is you just can't whip into any fast food place you see. We pretty much have to stick to truck stops, large shopping centers, etc.

$300 in groceries later and full of chicken we were back on the road and burning dinos.

I think it was about 10pm when we rolled into the Walmart in Troy, AL. I had planned on boodocking there. Our fiver has a genny so it is pretty easy to stay overnight while travelling. When I pulled into the lot I noticed a sign saying that overnight parking wasn't allowed. My wife got nervous for a second, then I saw a line of 18 wheelers that were doing the same thing. My thought was they will have to tow all of the trucks too, so I lined up with them, and we were not bothered at all. Score 1 for free camping.

We were on the road pretty early the next morning. We made good time...next stop was a rest area just outside of Tallahassee.

I snapped this pic with my phone...sorry I don't have more pics of the start of the trip...I have a lot more for later

IMAG0092-2.jpg

The goal for the day was Ocala and Silver River State Park.

The remainder of the drive was uneventful. I was really pleased with this new route. Traffic and road conditions were great all of the way to Lake City and I-75. I definitely think that the added 30 miles or so was worth it.

We pulled into SRSP in the early afternoon. This is a really nice state park. I was very impressed with the facilities and scenery. Ironically, I forgot to take any pictures. But we had a great stay there. My girls rode bikes and played on the playground. I rode some really nice mountain bike trails there too. It was my first time MTB'ing in FL, and I really liked it. There is some very cool singletrack there through the huge live oaks and palms.

I had originally planned on staying 2 nights there, but being so close to the Fort was more than I could take, so we left early and headed on to the Fort.

Next up...checking in and "sir, there is a problem..."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok....1 more post before I turn in tonight. Sunday Nov 20th The kids were busting at the seams by the time we reached the gates. Truth be told I was too. The final miles into the Fort are always excit

Ok....1 more post before I turn in tonight.

Sunday Nov 20th

The kids were busting at the seams by the time we reached the gates. Truth be told I was too. The final miles into the Fort are always exciting.

We pulled up to the guard shack at the Fort and was greeted by a LOT of others trying to check in also. As luck would have it the traffic guy stopped us for just a minute, and by then lane 1 opened up and we pulled right in. This is where it almost went south for us.

We were greeted by a nice lady who informed us that this was her first day on her own without a trainer. She took my debit card to pay off the remainder of our stay. Then she says that it won't go through. My first thought was "#$%^, that double scan for the last diesel fill up probably locked my card". Normally I am an anti cash person. I just don't like carrying very much, but I had put some back in my wallet for the trip. So we were able to check in with $100 to spare. Crisis averted!

We were assigned to site 430. I had requested the 500 loop. I wasn't too impressed with 430. I liked the location along the road, but it just wasn't wide enough or long enough for rig. I had to back my truck up under the awning a bit just to clear the road. I thought about trying for another site, but frankly I was just glad to be there....and it wasn't too bad.

I tried to phone my bank to straighten out the debit card stuff, but trying to get anyone on a Sunday is pointless.

So I took a walk up to the marina and Pioneer Hall.

This area is my favorite of the Fort. I could spend all day hanging out.

DSC_9087.jpg

I decided to try my card one more time, since I couldn't talk to my bank. Luckily, it must have been some glitch, because I walked away with 4 six day passes.

We rested up for bit then hit MK for some evening fun.

DSC_8990.jpg

Now we have been to Disney many many times, but never during the Holidays. My wife and I were blown away with how pretty everything is.

My wife literally teared up when she saw the castle lights for the first time.

DSC_9003.jpg

We did Pirates, BTMR, watched the electrical parade, and Wishes. It was a good first day.

Next up....HS mission

Disclaimer...normally, I post process my photos, but my desktop is down and the netbook doesn't have the ponies. I apologize for crookedness, etc, etc.

Great start on your trip report your doing a great job, fantastic pictures and ending a post with a cliff hanger( wonder where you learned that from) any keep it up looking forward to more.

Monday Nov 21st...First full day

We decided to hit Hollywood Studios this day. Our modus operandi for the parks is generally get there early (maybe for rope drop), stay to about lunch, cruise back to the camper for lunch, rest, then go back to the same park in the evening. This approach works well for the kids and us old people.

We drove over to HS instead of taking the bus. We were running a bit behind so we got there just after rope drop. I really wanted to snag some fast passes for TS. I had remembered TCD's description of the rush to TS each morning. Since we had never rode it I wanted to make sure we had fast passes. Things almost went sideways here for us. My wife wanted us to wait out front for her sister and family, but they were running about 30 minutes behind us. She wasn't too excited about going in without them. I finally convinced her of the urgency that was TS FP's. So she took off for FP's, and I went with the girls to ride TOT. The girls had never been on it, and they didn't know what to expect.

True to form...my youngest loved it, and my oldest was a little scared....but fun nonetheless.

Back to TS FP's...ours were for 1pm. My sister in law's were for 4pm....score 1 for fiend knowledge.

Next stop was Star Tours. I loved ST when I was younger. I was a huge Star Wars fan when I was a kid. The new show was really good. Both kids really enjoyed it....rode it twice.

DSC_8889.jpg

Outside of ST....Lizzy was mesmerized by the themeing outside.

DSC_8888.jpg

Watching Jedi training.

DSC_8886.jpg

DSC_8887.jpg

At this point my youngest started complaining about her foot....sure enough...blisters from the Crocs

So dad hoofed it back up to First Aid for some band aids.

Along the way I stopped to admire a few things

Cool scenery

DSC_8890.jpg

One thing I've always like about Disney is the effort they put into things...

Such as this sign. Most people probably wouldn't admire a sign, but I appreciate the time and effort that goes into making things like this

DSC_8891.jpg

The band aids saved the day...next stop...Stunt Show..or whatever they call it

DSC_8898.jpg

DSC_8899.jpg

DSC_8900.jpg

DSC_8901.jpg

DSC_8902.jpg

DSC_8903.jpg

DSC_8904.jpg

DSC_8905.jpg

Yep...kid approved

DSC_8907.jpg

So after that we messed around for a bit more then rode TS, and headed back to the Fort.

FWIW, I don't really understand all of the fuss about TS. We enjoyed it, but not enough to stand in line for very long.

Next up...another first for us...Osborne Lights (with pics)

After some naps, bike looping (I may have run into TCD this day), and food....we were back at HS.

DSC_8933.jpg

First stop...RnRC. I had hoped that our oldest could ride it, but it wasn't to be. She was pretty upset about it.

I stopped on the way out for a quick pic

DSC_8938.jpg

We were quickly herded like cattle directly into the middle of the Osborne Lights. I knew it was going to be cool, but I wasn't prepared for how cool. This was absolutely the best light show ever for us.

DSC_8954.jpg

This bike caught my eye

DSC_8952.jpg

DSC_8946.jpg

DSC_8962.jpg

I could've stayed in there for hours....

TSM - mostly Buzz with a different theme. Not bad, but nothing I would tear my underwear over - or stand in line for!

RnRC (or other rides with a height limit) - you might want to do a height check before leaving on vacation so there are no disappointments (or melt downs) when you head to ride.

:bravo: Great report.