A Quick Look at The 2012 Flower and Garden Festival- the shortest TCD trip report ever!

This is going to be quick and short.

The TCD gang made a totally surprise visit to WDW last Saturday night, March 10.

Here's how it happened.

The TCD twins took the SAT on Saturday morning.

Then they went to lunch with some friends.

At lunch, they learned two of their friends were heading to Universal Studios that night to see a marginaly popular band perform. The twins wanted to go.

This ended up being one of the rare times I had to tell them no.

Their friends were heading to Orlando themselves. With no parents.

We are not ready for that.

Plus, I didn't feel like shelling out for Universal tickets just so they could go and see a concert.

I don't think the twins were surprised.

Then twin #2 said how about we go to Disney. She had checked the park times and the MK was open until 1 am.

It was around 2 pm.

We were on our way by 2:30.

We hit some very bad traffic on I-4, where we basically inched our way along for about 10 miles for 45 minutes.

That set back our arrival time to a little after 5.

Along the way, we decided we would head to Epcot first. The Flower and Garden Festival had just started, and we wanted to have a look. Plus, we decided we would eat dinner in Japan.

So, here we go!

Here is what they have in the main entry area this year. I couldn't get a photo from the front looking in because there was a huge group of Brazilions blocking all access:

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

I guess this is alright.

But I am not a big fan of Fantasia.

Is anyone?

Now here's something more interesting.

Twin #2 is pointing it out:

IMG_3820.jpg

It's the TCD gang's tombstones!

If I recall correctly, we purchased these in January 1999. Mrs. TCD had gone on a moms' ski trip, and I took the girls to the Fort and stayed in a cabin. Two of my sisters joined me. That was a genius move on my part to invite the aunts. The girls all had a great time, and I didn't have to lift a finger all weekend. Plus, I still got big brownie points for watching the kids while Mrs. TCD went on her moms' trip. I got to cash those in for a golf trip later that year. It has always been good to be TCD.

Anyway, we have three photos on the tombstones. You can see me and twin #1 in the center of this photo. Twin #2 and one of my sisters is to the left, and the oldest TCD and my other sister are on the right:

IMG_3817.jpg

Here's a close up, You can see both TCD twins and me in this photo, but I cut off the oldest TCD DD. I'll have to get a better photo the next time:

IMG_3819.jpg

That dark stuff you see above my lip is from when I used to rock the 'stache. I had to shave it off a few years ago because it turned grey. That plus the 90's were long over.

We saw this giant peacock on the other side of the golf ball:

IMG_3823.jpg

I object to this.

They should not be allowed to glorify peacocks at Epcot when they hunted down and killed all the peacocks at the Fort.

Hypocrites.

On the other side of the big fountain, on the way toward the International Showcase, there is a big Peter Pan topiary display:

IMG_3826.jpg

I always like the big flower beds that they plant around the lake, but this stupid sign got in the way of my efforts to get a photo:

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

We decided to pop in to Bambi's butterfly house to see if there was anything new in there.

There wasn't.

Same as last year:

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3834.jpg

Mickey and Minnie are in the big area where they put the Christmas tree. Mater and Lightning McQueen were here last year:

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

I suspect that maybe there will be more added to this area, as it seemed kind of a lot less decorated than in years past.

Here are Donald and Daisy. I waited my turn to get a photo, but then this girl jumped in. I didn't feel like waiting any more, so this is what you get:

IMG_3837.jpg

I have shared before that even after all of our visits to WDW, there are many things that we have never done.

We are about to scratch one of those things off of our list.

We will be doing that here in Norway:

IMG_3838.jpg

You might be wondering what there could be in Norway that the TCD gang has never done?

Watch the movie at the end of the ride?

No, we have done that (once I think).

Take a photo with those stupid viking hats on?

No, we have done that too (many times).

Take a photo with somone's finger up the big troll's nose?

Nope- we do that almost every time.

So what could it be?

Would you believe that we have never had School Bread?

It's true.

Who would want to eat something called School Bread?

Maybe somebody who likes school.

Who likes school?

Nerds, that's who.

And we are not nerds.

So we never wanted to eat any stupid bread named after something nerds love.

But, we keep hearing people rave about School Bread.

So we needed to give it a try.

They sell it in a little bakery there.

We had never been in there before.

But now we have.

There's a little seating area outside.

Where you have this nice view of a statue's butt:

IMG_3844.jpg

If you are Norwegian, please take no offense to my next comment. But, are people from Norway crazy? Have you seen how they make furniture? And what's with all the trolls? And viking hats? Grass on their roofs? Now this-of all the things we could look at here- we are treated to a view of a statue's butt. What the Fort?

Anyway, let's leave that discussion and get to this school bread.

Here it is:

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

As you can see, it's kind of like a muffin. With coconut on top. And custard. Do they grow coconuts in Norway? It's all so strange. And what does this have to do with school? I don't know. But, the bottom line is that it was very good. Not as good as we were lead to believe by all the hype we have heard about it, but not bad for a muffin named after something nerdy.

As we enjoyed the dining area, this crazy duck came by to beg for some school bread:

IMG_3848.jpg

I'm going to enter this next photo in a photo contest. I call it "Duck and Butt" :

IMG_3849.jpg

With that little detour out of the way, we headed back out around the World Showcase.

The last time we were here, it was still the Food and Wine Festival. It's kind of boring without the mobs of drunks and all the food booths.

But, here's a Panda topiary:

IMG_3851.jpg

We are near the photo limit, so I will stop here.

As advertised, this is going to be a really short report.

Like maybe just two more batches of photos after this one.

I'm going to try to get this done in one day.

As in today.

So, be sure to check back.

TCD

So happy you made a short visit. I'm not sure if I'll make it over to the F&G fest this year, so it's nice to see your pics.

I am not a big fan of Fantasia. I've only seen it once and remember thinking that it would probably be a good movie if I was into drugs.

You probably shouldn't have announced that the 90's 'stache era is over...Ben may be reading. :mellow:

Duck & Butt... :rofl2: Quite artistic.

Here we go.

Next batch of photos.

This trip was over quick and this trip report will be too.

Here we are in front of Italy.

This is a great display:

IMG_3852.jpg

There was a new display area back here based on the gardens of Haiti. It seemed like it might be educational, so we skipped it. We will check on that another time.

There was also something new in America. It is called an Alphabet Garden. They lured us in there by including Toy Story characters.

Here are some of those Toy Story topiaries now:

IMG_3856.jpg

This Lotso was good. Plus he isn't the same Lotso as last year. In case you're wondering, he did not smell like strawberries:

IMG_3859.jpg

This is the alphabet garden:

IMG_3860.jpg

You can see that they have some kind of key posted on the wall back there:

IMG_3861.jpg

What is this, school?

Who wants to learn something when they are trying to have fun?

Sheez!

We arrived in Japan at right around 6.

We were afraid that it would be packed, as there were lots of people in the park. But, it wasn't busy at all. Two of us had sushi, and the other chicken teraiyaki. It was very good.

And, I love the garden here in the seating area:

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

They had several bonsai trees on display here for the festival:

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

They had display signs in front of the trees, which we found to be confusing. Like this one, which says the age is 32 years, with 9 years in training. This sign was in front of the tree in the last photo above. Does this mean that the tree is 32 years old. And that it was 23 years old before they began to train it? That can't be right, can it? :

IMG_3869.jpg

Since it was a Saturday night, there was a free concert going on.

This usually means a crowd.

Tonight's performer was Jose Feliciano.

There were a lot of empty seats.

Poor Jose.

And, not to be mean, but that guy is old!

Why don't they get some performers that people might be interested in?

I mean, I'm pretty old, and Jose is way before my time.

We didn't sit to watch Jose.

We found Mater and Lightning McQueen over here:

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

We made our way toward France.

And the girls got to meet Marie.

They like Marie.

It's amazing how many people have no idea who she is:

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

Since it was kind of crowded in Epcot, and since we were right by the International Gateway, we decided to pop over to Hollywood Studios to see how things were over there.

And that is what we did next.

TCD

Since you said this was going to be a quickie, I hope you don't mind if I add to it.

It looks like Lotso has shrunk tremendously from last year. Or maybe it's just the angle of the picture?

march2011fort373.jpg

And I also wonder if those are the same blocks that they used last year at the entrance?

march2011fort372.jpg

The girls are cute with their kitty pose with Marie...MEOW!

Can't wait to see it. Great TR as usual :partyline:

Thanks for reading along.

You get points for being the first to post a comment!

So happy you made a short visit. I'm not sure if I'll make it over to the F&G fest this year, so it's nice to see your pics.

I am not a big fan of Fantasia. I've only seen it once and remember thinking that it would probably be a good movie if I was into drugs.

You probably shouldn't have announced that the 90's 'stache era is over...Ben may be reading. :mellow:

Duck & Butt... :rofl2: Quite artistic.

If you saw F & G last year, there really isn't much this year to justify a trip. They have recycled almost everything. They just put it in new locations.

Yep, I'm with you on the Fantasia and drugs. I think I watched maybe 5 minutes of the Fantasia 2000 movie before I couldn't take it any more. It started out with flying whales. Enough said.

And, I'm not worried about Ben losing his 'stache. I think he may single-handly bring them back.

Since you said this was going to be a quickie, I hope you don't mind if I add to it.

It looks like Lotso has shrunk tremendously from last year. Or maybe it's just the angle of the picture?

march2011fort373.jpg

And I also wonder if those are the same blocks that they used last year at the entrance?

march2011fort372.jpg

The girls are cute with their kitty pose with Marie...MEOW!

Thanks for those photos.

I thought this Lotso was different. He seemed a lot smaller to me. And, I thought his pose was different. But, looking at your photo, maybe I'm wrong. There definitely was no strawberry smell though.

TCD

Am I the only one that thinks, it is amazing that the twins already knew the park hours, and were marginally surprised they weren't allowed to Universal? :rofl2:

But dadddddd, oooookkkkkk, how about Disney and the park hours are.......... :hah:

Umm, TCD, you were taken, hook line and sinker!!!! :rofl3: :wave1: :jumpforjoy :flush2:

The twins are awesome!!!! :hah:

But that's because they have an awesome Mom and Dad!!! :heart:

At the risk of losing my man card the Flower and Garden Festival is my favorite event at Epcot. Unlike the Food and Wine it doesn't cost an arm and a leg after you pay to get in. Great Photos. Boo on Disney for all the signs in the way.

In case you thought I was kidding about quick and short, I wasn't.

This is it.

The last of my photos from this trip.

We left off with us leaving Epcot.

We headed out the International Gateway and saw that the boat was loading. It can be a long time betwee boats, so we ran. We made it.

Sweet!

The boat ride to Hollywood Studios takes about a half hour.

We stopped at Boardwalk first.

About 100 cheerleaders got on the boat.

The screaming kind.

About 20 of them crammed on the bench right in front of us.

There was a boy cheerleader with them.

He looked like he was about 15 years old.

He had glitter in his hair.

I looked around for his parents so I cold slap them.

But I don't think they were around.

The TCD twins were entertained.

Next stop Yacht and Beach.

Maybe another 100 cheerleaders got on.

More screaming.

What was this all about we wondered?

Next stop Swan and Dolphin.

Thankfully, no more cheerleaders.

We might have jumped overboard if there were.

Next stop Hollywood Studios.

Off the boat and on to the gates.

I'll give you three guesses as to what we saw when we got there.

Actually you probably only need one guess.

It was cheerleaders.

Why did it have to be cheerleaders?

They were everywhere!

Why?

Against my better judgment we went in.

First stop for us lately is Star Tours, so that's where we went.

We could barely make it there because there were gangs of cheerleaders everywhere blocking the sidewalks.

There groups of them everywhere.

Apparently, there was some kind of competition going on inside of the Indiana Jones theater.

And the groups not competing inside had some kind of competition going on outside to see who could be the most obnoxious and prevent the paying guests from being able to walk by.

Really.

We made it to Star Tours, and it was basically a walk-on.

That was good.

But, we had mostly cheerleaders on our trip.

There was a lot of unnecessary screaming.

And, one of those screaming idiots got to be the rebel spy.

But she was too busy screaming to even notice.

After that, the TCD gang had a conference.

We decided that we needed to get out of there.

Also, we had left our car in the Epcot lot, and we were going to head to the MK. We weren't sure how we would get back there if we stayed until 1, so we decided to go and get the car.

We took the bus.

That worked out fine.

And then it was on to the MK.

You may have noticed that there are not photos from Hollywood Studios.

There aren't.

We weren't even there for an hour.

The MK wasn't too bad.

No cheerleaders.

We picked up some of those new Sorcerer's cards, and then headed toward Tomorrowland.

We were going to do Laugh Floor first, but Wishes was going on.

So we watched that from over there.

So did a lot of other people.

This would not be my first choice for a viewing spot:

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

After that we did Laugh Floor, and a few more things around the park.

The girls spent quite a bit of time trying out the new Sorcerers Game. I think it's stupid, but they liked it. The also ran into a lot of nerdy teenage boys who wanted to trade cards. They had a lot of fun with that. What surprised me is that there are a lot of people playing this game, and a lot of folks who are pretty hard core about it already.

Before we knew it, it was midnight.

We were heading on out of the park through Fantasyland when a castmember in front of the Fairy meeting place called out and told us that there was no wait to meet the fairies.

Do you know that we have never met the fairies?

It's true.

When Pixie Hollow was first opened, there was no way we were going to stand in those lines to meet those stupid fairies.

And, when they tore down that abomination and moved the fairies here, we have alway happily walked right on by.

But, this castmember was practically begging for guests to go in.

So we did.

The girls got the meet this fairy named Vidia.

I had never heard of her before.

I guess she is supposed to have a sassy attitude.

Almost snarky.

And she likes purple.

That is what she was telling Twin # 2 in this photo:

IMG_3893.jpg

This fairy cracked me up.

Very snarky:

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

Of course, we had to meet Tinkerbell too:

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

There was only those two fairies in there that night.

I know that there are more.

But, luckily, there were only two when we stopped by.

The MK was closing at 1, so we headed out.

Twin #2 wanted to get a photo with the Jose Feliciano statue on the way out:

IMG_3900.jpg

And then Twin #1 got in the act:

IMG_3903.jpg

And with that, we left.

And headed on home.

That's all there is for this one.

I told you.

TCD

Even I can appreciate a good quickie! ;) Thanks, it was great.

I've had one experience with the cheer groups and once was more than enough.

I am not a fan of fairies (Except of course the FF fairies :mellow: ) I have never heard of Vidia either. I do know Tink and I think if you took the bun off the top of her hair, she would look like Donald Trump.

You were there on Saturday and I didn't get to meet you! I'm so bummed!

Sorry. I knew that there were some Fiends in the Fort (aren't there always?), but we didn't get anywhere near the Fort on this visit.

Even I can appreciate a good quickie! ;) Thanks, it was great.

I've had one experience with the cheer groups and once was more than enough.

I am not a fan of fairies (Except of course the FF fairies :mellow: ) I have never heard of Vidia either. I do know Tink and I think if you took the bun off the top of her hair, she would look like Donald Trump.

LOL! Donald Trump!

I meant to mention that I was a bit dissapointed in meeting Tinkerbell. I had different expectations after seeing that photo of the princesses that Runner-Ed posts from time to time.

Tinkerbell was a lot scrawnier in person than she appears in that photo of Ed's.

TCD

TCD,

Sounds like another fun Disney day!

I wish that I lived close enough to pop into Disney when I felt like it.........lucky you!!!

When I looked at the pictures on the tombstone, I thought that your sister on the left looks a bit like twin #2.

Hope you have another Disney trip planned.....I need another TCD trip report!!!

Heidi

Ok, a couple comments here.

I am a big school bread fan. Which probably makes sense as I am a bit of a nerd. But one thing I've noticed about school bread is, just like most baked good, the quality really depends on how fresh it is. I've had really awesome school bread that was nice and fresh, and I've had school bread that tasted like it sat around Norway for awhile. Maybe you had the latter?

Also, we were just having a conversation about Marie around the breakfast table this morning. It was raining, and one of the kids was leaving for school and asking where the umbrellas were. And INC said "somebody stole my bumbershoot!". Which lead to a discussion about Marie.

Anyways, glad I made it onto page one. Even though this one is over already.

TCD,

Sounds like another fun Disney day!

I wish that I lived close enough to pop into Disney when I felt like it.........lucky you!!!

When I looked at the pictures on the tombstone, I thought that your sister on the left looks a bit like twin #2.

Hope you have another Disney trip planned.....I need another TCD trip report!!!

Heidi

Yes, I am lucky. That's why it's good to be TCD.

Yes, my DD's do look a lot like my sisters.

And, you are right about me needing to plan another trip.

It will come as no surprise to you for me to let you know that I am working on that. And hopefully it will be soon.

And involve a stay at the Fort.

Ok, a couple comments here.

I am a big school bread fan. Which probably makes sense as I am a bit of a nerd. But one thing I've noticed about school bread is, just like most baked good, the quality really depends on how fresh it is. I've had really awesome school bread that was nice and fresh, and I've had school bread that tasted like it sat around Norway for awhile. Maybe you had the latter?

Also, we were just having a conversation about Marie around the breakfast table this morning. It was raining, and one of the kids was leaving for school and asking where the umbrellas were. And INC said "somebody stole my bumbershoot!". Which lead to a discussion about Marie.

Anyways, glad I made it onto page one. Even though this one is over already.

I know that you are a big fan of the school bread. In fact, I'm sure your endorsement of it was one of the reasons I knew I needed to try it. I don't think what we got was old. It was good. Just not what I expected. Although, truthfully, I really didn't know what to expect. I think school bread is fine. But it's weird. As is most of what I see around the Norway pavilion.

Did somebody steal Marie's bumbershoot? I guess I need to watch that movie again. It must be a good 15 years or more since I've seen it. I don't remember Marie having a bumbershoot, nor that it was stolen. So who stole INC's bumbershoot? I'll bet it was you, and that's why you changed the subject to Marie.

And congrats for making it on to page one.

Although this report may not even make it to a second page.

It's the shortest TCD trip report ever, you know.

TCD

It wasn't Marie who had her bumbershoot stolen. It was another cat. Napoleon? In any case, you may recall that I am no Marie fan. She once took a break just as we were next in line, and when she returned she smelled like smoke and kitty litter. I've been turned off ever since.

And regarding the school bread...if I had told you it was basically a custard filled donut sprinkled with coconut, would your expectations have been more realistic? Would you still have tried it?

It wasn't Marie who had her bumbershoot stolen. It was another cat. Napoleon? In any case, you may recall that I am no Marie fan. She once took a break just as we were next in line, and when she returned she smelled like smoke and kitty litter. I've been turned off ever since.

And regarding the school bread...if I had told you it was basically a custard filled donut sprinkled with coconut, would your expectations have been more realistic? Would you still have tried it?

There was a cat named Napoleon in the Aristocats? Really? I guess I need to watch that movie again.

I forgot about your run-in with Marie. But now that you mention it, I remember it. She smelled fine when we saw her, but the twins were the next to the last ones to meet her, as the line was closed right after they got on line. Come to think of it, Marie's paws were shaking just a bit. I guess she was ready for a smoke.

Yes, that description of school bread is accurate, and yes I would have tried it. I still think it needs a new name. How about a Viking Puff?

Hmm.. That sounds like a challenge..

I WAS HERE! (reading of course not just tagging)

Nah, no challenge.

This is going to be the shortest TCD trip report ever.

Nothing wrong with that.

TCD

She once took a break just as we were next in line, and when she returned she smelled like smoke and kitty litter.

:lmao1:

It worries me that two grown men are having a full out conversation about the Aristocats. Must be the all daughter thing...or both of your man cards should be revoked. :1sm056pullhair:

Now I don't have to visit the festival now that I see they reused mostly everything!

Admit it, you had to try school bread after the picture in my report. Just so curious it hurts! :P

I like the girls with their hair up, the first time in a TCD report that I remember.

Tink looks 12. I bet she is a cheerleader at her middle school.

Great pictures, I love the flower and garden festival but haven't been in a few years. Like the 'stache too, but would like to see it in a real picture, not just the tombstone copy.

Had to show my dd's the picture of Marie. My middle dd in particular has always loved Marie so we got her a stuffed Marie one trip. So she thanks you for the photo (she gasped in horror that many do not know who Marie is, but after reading about Marie's stench of cigarettes and kitty litter I may discourage the attraction).

I would like to file a formal complaint about this mini-TR.

It isn't directed at TCD.

It is directed at everyone who has read this TR up until now.

Why has no one commented on the fuzzy tombstone picture of TCD rocking the mustache?

HELLO?!?!?!?

That's amazing. I move that since TCD is the one who brought it up he must now give us a better picture of him from the '90s rocking the 'stache.

I think it's only fair.