So, we have had our TT for over 6 months now and this is the first time we have used it! The 9 of us headed out last Friday afternoon for a long weekend at Pine Ridge RV Resort in Frankenmuth, MI.

Our 1st challenge came when we found out there was flooding on I75 AND I69 and that they were both closed right where we needed to go through. We decided we would get off right before the flooding and take small highways to the campgorund. We made it there in around 2 hours which is only a few minutes more than it usually takes us not towing anything. This was my first surprise since I thought towing the TT was going to add tons of travel time to every trip.

We arrived at the campground in the late afternoon. Check in lady was slightly grumpy, but no big deal. Confirmed our site #, payment info and headed to our site. Here are some pics as we were getting set up:

100_8551.jpg

100_8552.jpg

100_8553.jpg

Our next surprise came when we though we had the TT leveled only to find out when we opened the slides, it was really unlevel. We took out the leveling blocks we had already placed and it was much better. Over the course of the next few days it became unlevel again.

Another surprise to us was the black/grey tank situation. We expected to dump the tanks every other day or so, but with 8 of us using the facilities, we had to dump 2-3 times a day!!!

Also, I was suprised at the amount of rocking there was. The first night I thought I would go crazy. Every time someone moved the whole TT swayed from side to side. Felt like I was on a boat. I tried to read in bed and was getting motion sick. By the 3rd night I was used to it.

The next morning after a breakfast of ziplock omelettes, we went to visit Grandpa Tiny's farm. A few pics:

100_8561.jpg

100_8563.jpg

100_8564.jpg

100_8566.jpg

After our farm trip, we decided to get take out pizza for dinner from Uno's. REALLY good!

Watched a Tim Hawkins DVD in the TT that night with snacks from the bakery at Zehnders.

100_8571.jpg

100_8572.jpg

The next day, we decided to hang around the campground until the afternoon. DH took the kids ot the playground which was nice but muddy at the time and we had lunch outside.

100_8574.jpg

Relaxing:

100_8586.jpg

100_8597.jpg

Our site was at the back of the campground on the corner. We had a huge 'yard' and there was a trail off to teh side which the kids loved exploring.

100_8598.jpg

A coulpe of tips, try to get a set of wheel chocks that expand and use them between the tires that might take out some rocking.

You can leave the gray tank opened as long as you are hooked up to sewer less dumping that way, just close it the night before you leave to help wash down the stuff from the black tank :barf: this is what we do.

During our walk downtown, we had to stop for the obligatory picture with the cheese rat:

Ignore the screaming girl in the stroller, she had just woken up

100_8600.jpg

Sunday evening, the campgorund had cleared out of all but 2-3 other campers. The kids had a blast having races around the campground.

100_8606.jpg

Watched some AFV outside while we had a fire:

100_8608.jpg

100_8609.jpg

100_8614.jpg

Our last morning, we went into town to get gas and stop at the bakery for a treat to take home. we then hitched up and went to Bronners CHRISTmas Wonderland:

100_8619.jpg

100_8622.jpg

That was it! We had so much fun, we are ready to do it again next weekend (we wish).

100_8598.jpg

I love this picture! :heart:

Looks and sounds like you guys had a good trip! I hear ya on the trailer moving. It used to bother me when we first bought ours, and even for a couple of days after we got home, I had "sea legs" :)

The kids are adorable and that baby is growing so fast!

I am so glad your first went well. I know you were worried.

I can still tell when someone in the part of the trailer moves and I'm in bed trying to sleep. We have the X-chocks and I still get sea sick. ROFL

I am making a list of comments as I read through.

1) What a lovely family! You all look like you love having fun together - my favortie thing about large families. :)

2) Love Tim Hawkins! Saw him love last year and am still giggling.

3) Excellent proof that camping with a baby is possible and fun!

4) Did the kids race bikes, golf carts, or foot races?

5) Glad you had a great time!

The only thing I can add to your story...Get a Camping Journal of some sort...and take some time to write in it your camping experiences, funny stories, things the kids did that you'll want to remember later...with all your children, it would be fun to sit around the came fire or picnic table (or on a rainy day inside) and let one of the kids read a page from the book "Remember that time "X" fell in that little creek.." or "LOL! (reading the page) Now I remember when we went to that cool campground in Gladwin and the hail was coming down so hard....) It's the little things we need to remember... Glad your kids enjoy camping...best memories are made camping!!

Looks like a GREAT first weekend! So I assume you are pulling the TT with a full size van? We pull ours with a big Ford van...from what I saw in one pic looks like you have a GM van? How does it pull? You have a couple more kids than us, but I wouldn't want to travel any other way right now than a van. Spread 'em out! LOL>

Those side slides will really take a trailer out of level. After a while you will realize how far off it needs to be at set up to compensate for the open slides. Not sure if you will ever be able to stabilize it enough to prevent the swaying with that many kids moving around. Keep an eye on the supports on the outdoor kitchen door. There have been some situations where the brackets have come loose. If your husband is handy, he may want to reinforce them before a problem developes. Re the trailer level, not sure how you measure it, but if you get some little stick on bubble levels at the campstore and put them in two directions on the trailer tongue it speeds up set up, and also helps measure how far off you need to be to keep the trailer level with the slides.