May The Fort Be With You- A TCD SWW Trip Report!

Love the shots of you guys with Chewie. He looks so snuggly.

It really looks like ya'll made the most of SWW and had fun interacting with the SW geeks.

Is it weird that I got a bit flustered by Boba manhandling that CM? :smug:

I think you all did great with your drawings of Bolt, even your demented llama. Joe looks a bit demented himself, so it fits.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Both of the twins drawings are very good, but are you sure that you're their dad. You're drawing is terrible. Did you loose an eye or something? From your vantage point it doesn't look like much is go

Gee, I wonder how many friend requests I have? So that's how it's done now. I like the old way better.

Star Wars Weekends for 2012 began this past weekend at Hollywood Studios. These have been going on for years. The TCD gang has never had much interest. But, last year, we visted during a Star Wars wee

This photo perplexed me a bit.

Either TCD has some mad Photoshop skills, Jango's jet pack is fully functional, or Jango has mastered that levitation trick that David Blaine does.

Ah, the magic of Disney is alive.

I missed that.

But, I see what you are talking about.

That is a cool optical illusion.

Love the shots of you guys with Chewie. He looks so snuggly.

It really looks like ya'll made the most of SWW and had fun interacting with the SW geeks.

Is it weird that I got a bit flustered by Boba manhandling that CM? :smug:

I think you all did great with your drawings of Bolt, even your demented llama. Joe looks a bit demented himself, so it fits.

You are too kind.

And yes, Chewbacca was fun. I forgot to mention how tall he was. It was impressive.

And he wasn't the most snuggly character we met that day.

More on that later.

You had a great animator! Ours didn't give us a choice. Just a dry presentation. I think you did great with your drawing too!

This was only our second time through the Animation Academy, so we only had one other experience to compare this one to. We liked our first guy better than Joe. The first guy also let the audience vote on who to draw. I will let the cat out of the bag and let you know we went back to this again later on this trip, and we got to choose that time too.

None of our animators were dry, though.

You must have just got a dud.

Or someone having a bad day.

1. Lou isn't so bad.

2. If hating HHH is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Well, at least we have some common ground . . .

I agree with you about Lou. He has some odd views on things, but he isn't so bad.

And, you can be a HHH if you want to. Based on the crowd that came out to watch Hyperspace Hoopla on both nights we were there, you are wrong. However, this is America, so you being a HHH is your right. Different strokes for different folks. So far, we have you and Lou down as HHH's. Who know, maybe there will be more to join you?

TCD

Thanks.

But, I thought you knew that kissing up doesn't work with me.

I am pretty sure that Bolt is a german shepherd- and my drawing didn't look so much like Bolt.

TCD

haven't seen bolt. the animator and the twins looked like puppy shepherds. yours looked like an adult one. just ask Stef.. she would agree with me.

We left off at the Animation Academy.

It was nearing noon, and it was time for us to make a move.

So we did.

I wish I had taken a photo on the way out.

Every turnstile had a long line at it.

All the way back to the ticket windows.

Folks were flooding in to Hollywood Studios.

I would say it would take the folks in line a good 30 minutes plus just to get to the turnstile and enter the park.

I am telling you, if you take nothing else from this trip report- get there early.

These knuckleheads were going to enter a park to find that all of the Toy Story Fastpasses were gone, and everything else probably was at an hour wait or more.

But, that was their problem.

We were purposely leaving during the lunch hour, because we were going to take advantage of another TCD trick. We were going to visit a resort for lunch. This is the way to park hop. Choose a resort where you would like to eat lunch, and take a bus there. When you are done, take the transportation from that resort to the park of your choice. That is so much better than going directly to a park, and on busy days, the park quick serves are murder.

Today, we decided to visit Coronado Springs. The girls will be staying here for four nights on a school related trip in June, so we decided to go and get a current map of the resort and check out the dining options. We have stayed at this resort a couple of times, but it had been a while.

As luck would have it, the Coronado Springs bus pulled up just as we got to the bus stop. I love it when that happens. And then we were off. I forgot that Coronado Springs is such a large resort that it has four bus stops. The main one, near the lobby, is the last stop. So, we got a good look at the resort along the way.

They have added a quick serve place since we were last here, and that is what we had for lunch. They had seating open in what apparently serves as a swanky bar area in the evening, so that was nice.

We weren't there all too long, and then it was back out to the bus stop for our bus to the MK. We had a brief wait- but not bad. And, since the bus had stopped at all the other stops before picking us up, we had a straight shot to the MK.

Once at the MK, we picked up some more SOTMK cards (the girls only need six more to have a complete set), and then we headed back toward Fantasyland to accomplish our mission.

We were here to meet a new princess.

From the movie Brave.

She just started her meet and greets here the day before.

So we were getting in on the ground floor.

Here name is Merida.

You will be seeing a lot of her once her movie comes out next month.

The first order of business was to settle a dispute among the TCD gang.

We wanted to know how to pronounce the girl's name.

One twin said it was Merry-Duh.

The other said it was Mary-Duh.

I was pronouncing it like the word meridian minus the n. So something like Muhr-id-dee-uh. I was missing the fact that there was not another "i" there at the end of her name.

So, who do you think was right?

It turns out, none of us.

We asked the castmembers there how to say her name.

They said it.

They were pronouncing it so it rhymed with the word America. Let me help you with that.

First, subtract the A.

Now say America without the A-

merica.

again . . .

merica.

now swap a d for the c.

merida.

That's how you say it.

Mehr-id-duh.

Now you know.

Here's Merida's new digs:

IMG_1150.jpg

You can see her up there on the stage:

IMG_1151.jpg

There are a lot of details which have been incorporated into this area. Like these banners on the outside:

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

I would be surprised if Disney did not have a souvenir stand set up close by.

I wasn't surprised:

IMG_1156.jpg

Let's take a look at some of the Brave merch.

Here we have stuffed animals representing Merida's sidekicks:

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

They were also offering a wig:

IMG_1159.jpg

And a doll:

IMG_1160.jpg

And a dress, bow and arrow set, and water bottles:

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

I think they got the bases covered there.

We had a brief wait while the group admitted before us finished, and then we were ushered in.

I imagine this will involve a much longer wait once the movie comes out and kids know who Merida is.

There are a lot of small details incorporated in the meet and greet area.

This rock must have something to do with the movie:

IMG_1164.jpg

This disk, which was on that rock, looks like it included images of three bears:

IMG_1163.jpg

This is some kind of shield:

IMG_1165.jpg

There is Merida over there, along with three bear cubs:

IMG_1166.jpg

There are more decorations behind this area:

IMG_1167.jpg

These bears are pretty cool. They are animated, and they react to things that Merida says:

IMG_1168.jpg

While we waited, Merida had the little girl in front of us shout "boo," and the bears hid, as if scared:

IMG_1169.jpg

Then they popped back up, and moved their heads around.

Finally, it was our turn:

IMG_1170.jpg

The bears have their eyes closed here:

IMG_1171.jpg

And they are looking around here:

IMG_1172.jpg

Merida was "in character" and spoke to the girls in a Scottish accent:

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

And then they all posed forsome photos:

IMG_1174.jpg

As we left the stage, the castmembers there directed the girls to this fellow who was teaching the kids to shoot an arrow. Apparently, Merida is an archer. While we waited our turn, we got to watch the little girl behind us interact with Merida. Note that she has Merida's dress on. Cute:

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

The fellow in charge of the archery lesson had a sweet kilt and fake accent. He did a good job:

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

I told twin #1 that after she got her hands on the bow, she should do a Fernando Rodney (that's a reference for my fellow Ray's fans). But she chickened out.

So that was our meeting with Merida.

The girls liked it.

That's why we came to the MK.

Now that we were here, I figured we should do a couple of other things before heading back to Hollywood Studios.

I figured that maybe the MK wouldn't be so busy today since there was such a big crowd over at HS.

I'll let you know in my next post if I figured right.

TCD

I was thinking we might get a TCD trip report after the upcoming holiday weekend. What a nice surprise to get it early!

My 10 year old is into Star Wars and we considered going in May to partake in the SWW festivities, but I don't think I'd be too keen on the crowds. I'm enjoying living vicariously though!

IMG_1146.jpg

I think it is just a rendering of an older more mature Bolt (that is probably better than I would have done).

My girls said it looked like an old, fat, Bolt with a Forest Whitaker eye.

I said that sums it up nicely.

Either that or a demented llama.

Is it my imagination? Does Disney have a PG princess?

PG as in pregnant?

or

PG as in she's showing something that she shouldn't (Parental Guidance suggested)?

Either way, I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I was thinking we might get a TCD trip report after the upcoming holiday weekend. What a nice surprise to get it early!

My 10 year old is into Star Wars and we considered going in May to partake in the SWW festivities, but I don't think I'd be too keen on the crowds. I'm enjoying living vicariously though!

Glad you like.

I would not let fear of crowds deter a trip to SWW. This is all very manageable. Nothing like a Christmas or other holiday crowd.

TCD

I found Christmas to be more manageable but we were surprised by SWW.... and it was our first trip to WDW. The first time everything was overwhelming.

And didn't you recently confess that you didn't use Fastpasses?

If you know what you are doing- SWW is fine. There are so many options that it is easy to find something fun to do. But, I can see where it would be overwhelming for a first timer.

PG -- she looks about 6 months pregnant.

I see what looks like a bump in that photo.

But I think it's just how she's standing. That was a very thin young lady.

TCD

Saturday ended up being a very warm afternoon.

So, after we met Merida, we talked about going to an attraction with good air conditioning so we could cool off.

The wait for Merida was short, but the park was clearly busy, so we weren't sure what wait times would be like at the other attractions.

I suggested we ride the People Mover. That would cool us off, and give us a chance to survey things from up high and discuss our next move. So, we headed that way.

We walked toward the Tea Cups.

And we saw that there was some new steel work done in the Fantasyland expansion:

IMG_1187.jpg

To orient yourself, that's the Pooh ride on the left, and the teacups are on the right, outside of the photo.

Here's another look:

IMG_1188.jpg

So what are we looking at here?

Based on the model we looked at yesterday, I would say that steel is going to form the shell of the rocky hill which will conceal the new Snow White coaster. The model showed that the coaster would be out at this part of the expansion, so that is what I think we are looking at.

Here we are turned to the right a bit. That's the new Dumbo building you see over there:

IMG_1189.jpg

The rocks you see in the back of this photo are from the new Little Mermaid ride:

IMG_1190.jpg

This really has turned out to be a big project.

From here, we headed over to Tommorowland.

To the People Mover.

Where I was surprised to find a line down on the ground level. I haven't seen that in a long time. They had the stands and chains set up, and people were walking through the standard maze just for a chance to get on the ramp up to the ride.

Wow.

I said let's skip that.

So we did.

I said let's go to the Laugh Floor.

The air conditioning is good in there- and the line is in the AC.

We walked in the big entry room.

And it was full.

The fullest I have ever seen it.

But, this show can take a lot of people.

So we went in and waited on line.

It moved fast.

Everybody in that first room got to go into the second room, and then we waited the usual amount of time for the show in front of us to end.

All together, we were in there about a half hour to forty five minutes.

When we came out, there were mobs of people.

The MK may have been busier than HS.

We decided that we ought to head back to HS.

So we headed out.

The parade was coming up Main Street.

Here's the princess float. I think I took these photos because Rapunzel was on there, which was new to us:

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

On our way out, we discussed our options for returning to Hollywood Studios.

The girls said we ought to go to a resort that has good ice cream, and then take the bus from there.

I said fine.

Pick one.

One wanted Wilderness Lodge.

The other a Dole Whip at the Polynesian.

I said if the WL boat was there when we got out, then it would be WL. If not, then we would take the monorail to the Polynesian.

The WL boat was just pulling up as we walked out.

So we hopped on.

And were on our way.

I know that they have been working on the new Grand Floridian project for a while now, but I still don't see anything vertical over there:

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

Here's the express monorail appoaching the Contemporary Resort, as seen from our boat just as we entered Bay Lake:

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

I think they recently did something to expand Bay Lake into the area past the yellow barrier floating in this photo:

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

The theory I heard about this expansion is that it was to make up for the filling that was done for the Grand Floridian DVC project.

That sounds plausible to me.

When we got to the Lodge, I took a look over toward the Fort.

Everything looks the same over there.

For now.

According to the rumors I keep hearing, someday there is going to be new DVC resort sitting in front of the cypress head that you see jutting out into the lake in these photos:

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

I know I won't like it when that happens.

I didn't see anything different about Discovery Island:

IMG_1201.jpg

We headed on in and got our ice cream.

Then it was time to head back to HS.

We hopped on the HS bus. And we headed to the Fort to pick up there.

So, I made it to the Fort on this trip.

For a few minutes.

I took three photos from the bus.

This one shows that there hasn't been any construction started on the new barn in the Outpost area:

IMG_1203.jpg

This one shows the TCD trail ride area. I don't think any major changes are being made to this area:

IMG_1204.jpg

And, this is a photo of the overflow area of the parking lot. It wasn't all that busy:

IMG_1205.jpg

From here, it was on to Hollywood Studios.

We agreed on a plan.

I'll share it with you in the next post.

TCD

And tell us, were you 'That Guy' at the Laugh Floor? I am guessing no as you didn't mention it. I'm sure they picked an inferior choice.

Loved the Chewbacca pictures, he does look really tall. I have a picture with him from my honeymoon and he appears shorter there. That was when he just wandered around the park.

My head is spinning from all the moving you were doing. I can't believe the people mover had a line!

Yes, we did a bit of moving around to and from DHS.

I do not recommend that for newbies, but that is how we roll.

I couldn't believe there was a line for the People Mover either, but there was.

The MK was super busy.

So much for the theory that it would be less busy because of the crowds at DHS.

I don't think SWW draws folks away from the other parks. This event attracts a different element. As the photos show.

And tell us, were you 'That Guy' at the Laugh Floor? I am guessing no as you didn't mention it. I'm sure they picked an inferior choice.

Loved the Chewbacca pictures, he does look really tall. I have a picture with him from my honeymoon and he appears shorter there. That was when he just wandered around the park.

No, the theater was packed. As I looked around right after we were seated, I didn't see anybody that was likely to beat me out. But there was a guy I missed. He was just a few seats away from me, in my same row, so I didn't see him. He was a cheater. He had on a pirate hat. Like a Captain Crunch style one. Very sweet. Of course he got picked. And I agreed with that choice.

I would say Chewbacca was over a foot taller than me- so that would make him 6' 8" or more. I would love to see whoever it is that dances as Chewbacca at Hyperspace Hoopla.

TCD

Pics with Chewie and Boba Fett were cool. I think getting those are great but waiting/camping to meet the old guy who voiced Watto would be another story. I have been there during SWW about ten years ago and I enjoyed the stormtroopers at the entrance as well. I am not looking forward to the DVC building at the Fort. The Fort is fine the way it is. If they start building the Fort DVC....one us will get up, then we'll all get up...it'll be anarchy! Ok, so maybe it won't be anarchy but there will be a bunch of upset Fiends!

Can't wait to see what else you can squeeze into this jam packed day.

Both of the twins drawings are very good, but are you sure that you're their dad. You're drawing is terrible. Did you loose an eye or something?

From your vantage point it doesn't look like much is going on at the GF, but there is if you get closer.

I can see over the walls from the bus and things are moving along quite well.

Both of the twins drawings are very good, but are you sure that you're their dad. You're drawing is terrible. Did you loose an eye or something?

From your vantage point it doesn't look like much is going on at the GF, but there is if you get closer.

I can see over the walls from the bus and things are moving along quite well.

TCD you can't take him seriously as a critic, he voted for my wife's drawing which was clearly inferior to mine. However your dog reminds me of Astro from the Jetson's more than Bolt. Maybe they are related?

So is Merida's hair real or a wig?