Hot Fun in the Summertime-TCD's August 2012 TR

BUNNY!!!!!!!!! (I love bunnies.) Seeing the Lay's truck there....not cool. That is more reality than I care to see at the Fort. I don't think I've ever gotten up before 9am at the Fort, but on our trip this fall, I swear I am going to get up early one morning and poke around before it gets all full of people. I love those wide-open views. Thanks so much for the great TR and for sharing your photos!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated. For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're n

I sure it has nothing to do with Uranus, BM, hanging chad, or slow movements down a canal. It has to do with the lack of beer, doesn't it?

With statements like that, I'm beginning to doubt that you actually know Bobby.

Yay -- first time I read a TCD TR from when I was there. And I've already seen something we missed. Didn't know the Wreck It Ralph stuff was at HS or we would have looked for it.

I'm looking for myself in your photos, except like everyone else i wasn't up yet. I walked over to Pioneer Hall around 8 am Friday to fill my mug.

The mean driver said I couldn't bring the beer on board.

The bus driver did what he's supposed to and required to do.

They have what are called "Shoppers" that go around and observe CMs. They turn over their observations on the CM to management. If you were a shopper and that bus driver allowed you to board with a beer, he's done.

Sweet! Why was Twin#1 holding Twin #2 head in that picture?

That is a very good question!

They were goofing aroung.

That is actually my second attempt at that photo.

In the first one, Twin #1 was attempting to make a "McKayla Is Not Impressed" face.

Do you know what that is?

Neither did I.

Well, that is what she was doing.

And Twin #2 wanted her to stop.

So, what happened in that second photo is that Twin #1 was attempting to hold Twin #2's head so she couldn't turn and look at what she was doing.

I didn't know what a McKayla's not impressed face was, so I ended up snapping that first photo too soon.

This is how it turned out:

016.jpg

What twin #1 was doing was mimicking McKayla Maroney, one of the US Olympic team's gymnasts.

Apparently, when McKayla won the silver medal she made a face.

I didn't know that this had gone viral, but it has.

So, now people do stuff like this:

mni.jpg

mni2.jpg

mni3.jpg

I think it's hilarious.

There are a zillion similar photos here: McKayla Is Not Impressed

If you want a good laugh check them out.

You asked.

I answered.

Now you know.

BTW-that is not the last you will hear of a McKayla's not impressed face in this TR. Twin #1 can do the McKayla face pretty good. As I said, I took that first photo before she was ready.

TCD

Time for another installment, but first, let's get these responses taken care of:

Glad to have you back on land!

While it was *sigh* nice to hear about your trip on the budget cruise line *sigh*. I can't wait to hear all about you exploits at the First Class camping resort.

Agreed. I love a cruise. But I love the Fort more.

Back where you belong...in a popup!

Amen.

You speak the truth.

I am in!!

Good job on getting a few things in even though it was a mad house.

I love how you and the twins never let things like bad weather ruin a good thing.

Can't wait for the next update!

I really can't wait for the exploring between the Fort and WL!

Yeah, we don't let the weather stop us. This time of year, you are going to get some rain. We could sit around the pop-up staring at each other waiting for it to stop, or we can go out in it and have some fun. We will always choose the second option.

Awesome TCD as always! Looking forward to continuing the adventure.

Thanks. The adventure will resume in just a moment.

Thanks for putting that song in my head! NOT!

Beer on the bus? Have you ever heard of solo cups dude? Those refillable WDW mugs do a nice job, too!

My boys can't wait to see WIR. I'm looking forward to it too, Jane Lynch is one of the voices and I love her!

FP4

I know. I was stupid walking on the bus with a bottle of beer right in my hand. That did not happen again. I am a quick learner.

When I first heard of Wreck It Ralph I thought it sounded really dumb. But, after seeing the trailer for it, and the stuff they have on display here, I think it will be OK. It is a clever idea for a movie.

Fort pics are awesome.

Early morning Fort pics are better.

All those pics you took will not be the same after "The Monstrosity" is built.

Very Sad.

Looking forward to the next update though.

Yes, early morning is the best.

And, yes, all of that is going to be drastically changed if the DVC resort ever gets built.

Boo!

Great early morning pictures, I think early morning is the best time of the day at the Fort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt.

But, not many people get their butts out of bed to enjoy it.

Wow.. Great trip report... Love the photos, keep'em coming.

I'm glad you like the photos, as there are many, many more on the way. I deal in quantity, you know.

First Installment comment and comments on response to comments:

Maybe "If you're drinking it, I'm drinking it"

translates to

"did you bring enough for the both of us?"

:cheers:

"Give me my GAG, hammock and a cooler full of beer, and I'm good"

Hallelujah!

:worship:

So happy to see you back at the Fort. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Maybe that is what the bus driver meant. He was nice about the whole thing, and I didn't give him a hard time. The recording they play on the bus says no eating or drinking on the buses. That rule gets routinely ignored. But, I can see where they don't want folks pouding down beers on the buses.

I was really glad to be back at the Fort, too.

Comments on installment #2:

I love how you write these wonderful, descriptive, make me feel warm & fuzzy, things

"the shimmering waters of Bay Lake"

Only to mule kick me with

"You won't ever see it again after the new resort gets plopped in it's place"

:badmood:

I did see the bunny, and I like bunnies. ^_^

Well, that is how I feel whenever I visit that area of the Fort. It really bothers me that this is all going to be torn down for a frickin' parking lot. You know how much open space there is all over WDW, yet they want to cram this DVC resort right here at the Fort. I hate it!

TCD

BUNNY!!!!!!!!! (I love bunnies.) Seeing the Lay's truck there....not cool. That is more reality than I care to see at the Fort. I don't think I've ever gotten up before 9am at the Fort, but on our trip this fall, I swear I am going to get up early one morning and poke around before it gets all full of people. I love those wide-open views. Thanks so much for the great TR and for sharing your photos!

Seeing the Lay's truck there is no big deal. There are all kinds of trucks that come and go from the Settlement Trading Post early in the morning.

I really hope that you do get up early one morning of your visit. The early morning light is great for photos, and the feeling of having the Fort to yourself is amazing.

I can't believe no one was fishin' in my spot. I'm interested in hearing/seeing how you did in the park(s) on 4 hours sleep and a bike ride kick start.

I visited that spot more than once on this trip, and never did see anyone fishing. That was odd.

You will see how I did at the parks that day in just a little bit. Spoiler alert- I kicked butt and took names. I just need a few cups of coffee and maybe a little hammock time later in the day and I'm ready to roll.

Yay -- first time I read a TCD TR from when I was there. And I've already seen something we missed. Didn't know the Wreck It Ralph stuff was at HS or we would have looked for it.

I'm looking for myself in your photos, except like everyone else i wasn't up yet. I walked over to Pioneer Hall around 8 am Friday to fill my mug.

8 am on Friday?

Nope, I was back at the site getting ready to head to AK by then. You know where we ended our evening. You will have to read up to see what happened in between.

Yay! Another TR! I missed the bunny, and am sad to hear they will be getting rid of all that open space.

Just think how that bunny is going to feel about it!

I will try to keep up with this report. I got behind on the Going with the flow report and still need to finish it. I have been hoping for a Fort report. Keep it coming.

Good man!

Stay with me here!

The bus driver did what he's supposed to and required to do.

They have what are called "Shoppers" that go around and observe CMs. They turn over their observations on the CM to management. If you were a shopper and that bus driver allowed you to board with a beer, he's done.

Wow- a bus driver can be fired for allowing a guest on board with a beer? That's harsh. Danged idiot managers!

So, how does one get a "shopper" job? That sounds like it would be fun.

I'm late again, I did see the bunny! Is the path to the Lodge blacktop or something else?

Good job on spotting the bunny.

Yes, the main trail to the Lodge is the same stuff the roads are made of. The path that breaks off and follows along the lake is sand. It is packed down pretty good, though.

Glad I got in before I was too far behind! Yippee for another Fort TR!

I am glad you're here too.

Did you notice that we had your site?

That website is seriously funny!

I'm glad you liked it. I cracked up at quite a few of those. From what I gather, the young lady, McKayla, has been a good sport about it. She seems like a very nice kid.

In! That website is very funny indeed. Question, Mr. beer-in-the-back-pocket, were you drinking your corona from a bottle, can or red solo cup? I haven't had a problem with a cup on any of the buses or boats before.

I actually had one of those blue aluminum Bud Light bottles. On my further adventures, I learned that I could slip one of those into my pocket without spilling any. Corona is my beach/cruise beer. Bud Light is my Fort beer. Except if Mrs. TCD is along, then we have Corona at the Fort too.

TCD

Wow- a bus driver can be fired for allowing a guest on board with a beer? That's harsh. Danged idiot managers!

Bus drivers are the most scrutinized CMs by far at WDW. They're constantly being monitored with scheduled and random surprise audits by IMs and a third party inspectors. They are pulled off buses for random drug tests. And then you have the shoppers, DOT, and guests.

When you're dealing with making sure that up to 80 people get from point A to point B safely, Disney doesn't mess around

That's a major reason for the high driver turnover.

So, how does one get a "shopper" job? That sounds like it would be fun.

No clue. I'm not sure that they're even Disney CMs.

Bus drivers are the most scrutinized CMs by far at WDW. They're constantly being monitored with scheduled and random surprise audits by IMs and a third party inspectors. They are pulled off buses for random drug tests. And then you have the shoppers, DOT, and guests.

When you're dealing with making sure that up to 80 people get from point A to point B safely, Disney doesn't mess around

That's a major reason for the high driver turnover.

You are right about pointing out why Disney places so much focus on the bus drivers. A bad driver could create some very serious problems. I guess I will leave my beer at the site from not on.

For the record, I did think about chugging my beer down right there at the doorway, but I figured the driver would not appreciate that, so I chucked it instead.

TCD

I knew you had another TR loaded in the chamber ready to fire and as usual I'm late to the party but I'm all caught up now. I've also been living under a rock for some time. I had no idea that they were going to put another DVC resort (how many will this make, 20?) in our beloved fort and now that I see where they're putting it, Chris is not impressed (making the McKayla face). I only recently learned that they were relocating the stables. It's a shame Disney is putting the almighty dollar above mother nature. They already spoiled our view of MK from the marina now they're going to spoil our view of the marina.

OK, I think we are caught up now and ready to proceed.

We left of on the way to Wilderness Lodge.

It was early.

Like, right after 7 am early.

I mentioned that Bay Lake was right on the other side of the brush lining the path. As I rode along, I could catch glimpses of the Contemporary Resort:

070.jpg

This is the path I was following:

071.jpg

And, here's another look at the Contemporary:

072.jpg

And Bay Lake Tower:

073.jpg

Check out how the light from the rising sun was hitting and reflecting off of those windows on Bay Lake Tower:

074.jpg

It was dead quiet as I peddled along.

I could hear some distant bus motors, and birds chirping, but that was it.

Then I heard a loud rustling in the bushes.

Uh-oh.

Maybe a bear was after me?

Or a Florida panther?

Or a ranger?

Nope, it was just a deer:

076.jpg

077.jpg

How cool is that?

Pretty cool.

But not that rare these days.

There are a lot of deer in and around the Fort.

It wasn't very long at all until I came alongside of the Villas at Wilderness Lodge:

078.jpg

The path continued:

079.jpg

Just beyond the bend you see in that last photo, I came to the bike rental shack at Wilderness Lodge:

080.jpg

This is a historic place.

Wilderness Lodge opened in May, 1994.

The TCD gang stayed there that summer.

The TCD gang was just Mrs. TCD and our three year old daughter at the time. The twins would not come along for another year.

Good old TCD rented a bike with a baby seat right from this shack, loaded up the oldest TCD daughter, and off we rode down the path that we just came down. Before long, we arrived at the Fort Wilderness petting zoo. There were animals there then. And you could pet them. The TCD DD liked that. We also rode over to the 100 loop. Only I didn't know that it was called the 100 loop then. For some reason, nobody was staying in the loop, and all the sites were empty. I looked around. I hadn't ever seen a campground like this before. Pretty nice, I thought. So why is that historic? Well, that was the very first time I had ever visited the Fort. The rest, as they say, is history.

They have a little volleyball area set up here next to the shack, and a grill and picnic table. You will also see that the sun still has not quite risen:

081.jpg

082.jpg

If you ever want to rent a surrey, this is where you can do that. But, trust me, don't do it:

083.jpg

You can rent a locker here for a buck. That's a good deal. What else can you do for a buck at Disney World? :

084.jpg

Now here is something that was worth getting up early to see.

I call this photo Sunrise over Bay Lake As Seen From the Bike Rental Shack at Wilderness Lodge:

086.jpg

You see those trees right under the sun? They stick out into Bay Lake? That's where the new DVC resort is going to go. I hope those trees get to stay.

The Lodge is just across this little walkway:

087.jpg

That building over there is the bar, and just on the other side of it is the pool. They have a real bar here, with real drinks, not the fake bottled drinks they serve at the Fort pool:

088.jpg

If you look just beyond he building in that last photo, you can see a split-rail fence. That is where we park our bikes when we bike over here (which hasn't been for a very long time), or you can just use this bike rack here:

089.jpg

There are fake animal tracks on the sidewalk here. They stole this idea from the Fort:

090.jpg

Here we are looking back toward the beach. That is Discovery Island you can see out there in the lake:

091.jpg

I'll tell you one thing, they have some nice signs around this resort:

092.jpg

093.jpg

This sign seems to suggest that bikes are not supposed to go on the nature trail, but that is not the case:

094.jpg

As we head back, you can see that the sun is now rising and making long shadows. If you are wondering, this photo was taken at 7:09 am:

095.jpg

On the way back, I decided that I really neeed to check out this path that is for castmembers only. What if something was being built back here:

097.jpg

This path goes on for just a short while, and then it splits. If you follow this path to the left, you will come out at the boat dock where they keep the lake patrol boats and there is also an area here used by castmembers for barbecues and such:

098.jpg

I saw a castmember walking back there, so I went to the right instead and got out of there.

Right after I snapped these two photos:

099.jpg

100.jpg

That will be the view from some of the DVC rooms that will sit here if that resort gets built.

On my way back to the Fort, I noticed that the barn was now open for business. These castmembers were cleaning the stalls. That is Fritz there on the left getting ready for his bath and ride over to the MK to pull the trolley down Main Street:

103.jpg

It was now 7:20 am. I had been to the Lodge and back. I saw no signs of any construction. Nothing has been done or even begun in that area.

I chatted for a while with the castmember there preparing Fritz. It is her job to do that on the mornings he works. Then she loads him up in the trailer and takes him to the MK. She stays with him there, and brings him back in the early afternoon. Sounds like a fun job.

But Fritz was not impressed:

104.jpg

TCD

For the record, I did think about chugging my beer down right there at the doorway, but I figured the driver would not appreciate that, so I chucked it instead.

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated.

For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're not getting on my bus anyway.

And if it's past morning, if you do have a covered RSC and I suspect it's alcohol and you tell me it is, you'll have to get rid of it.

Unless you're prepared to give me an equal job after I get fired for violating the "open container law", I'm going by the book.

The law is, no open containers with an alcoholic beverage in it, camouflaged or otherwise, can be in the vehicle.

And yes, I'm a realist and know that all drivers are different, and that they may not enforce the rules, but I do. All good drivers will. So you'll have to wait until one of those other drivers comes along to give you a ride with your adult beverage in the Red Solo cup.

Enjoyed that installment!

I've always looked at the Contemporary as kind of out dated and shabby, in comparison to the newer resorts. The photos you got through the brush make it look great, almost golden. Well done sir.

Looks like Fritz is not only unimpressed, he's kinda giving you the stink eye. :))

BTW, I forgot to ask you before: I guess you didn't have an evil CM yell at you for bike riding down the dirt road, beside Bay Lake?