MetalDad's "Oh No, You Didn't" Trip Report: A Father-Daughter Weekend At The...

Day One:

Music: Heart, Aerosmith, Mott The Hoople, T. Rex

Drink: Diet Dr. Pepper and Kool-Aid...Ok, I packed some beer too!

Smell: Low Tide and Canvas

Yes indeed dear reader…you’ve tuned into a TR from a KOA.

I’ll wait a minute til’ you get that chuckle out of your system. And you in the back that’s just getting ready to check out…that’s cool…but you’ll miss a nice one, plus it’s short!

You’ll see some regular MetalDad stuff… Beer, Fire, Food, and the Hat! Well both hats…camo and Magic…

Some things you won’t see… the moustache. Ben’s not in this one. You also won’t see the daughter with all the fish, or the kid with the mohawk. This was a Father-Daughter trip, just me and my little Annie!

You’ll also meet some of the fam…

Ya’ see Timmy, there’s this ongoing thing with my kids. There’s three of them. So often, the oldest gets to experience everything because she was first, my son gets some leftovers, but gets to do just “boy” things, since he’s the only one.

And Annie...she gets all the hand-me-downs from both of them, has to grow up a bit quicker, because she hangs out with the other two, and has up until now, has had the least amount of time with us (duh, she’s the youngest).

For me, that translates into camping. I’ve taken the other two on two solo trips each.

One each to the KOA on consecutive weekends, and one each a trip to the Fort to meet up with Ben and Will.

Annie has put it to me that she hasn’t had a solo trip yet, so we’ve been trying to put it together for awhile…actually almost a year. She's old enough now!

We have a local KOA, it sits in an industrial park, but actually is surrounded on two sides by the bay. It’s at a spot where a large lake spills over into the bay, and provides for a very unique sight every once and awhile, an alligator swimming in salt water.

The KOA is the site of our very first camping trip, and our very first trip with our camper. For us, it’s ideal because it’s 15 mins. Away, and it’s free.

So, after months of scrutinizing every weekend, plans, forecast, work… I said the hell with it, Annie and I are going, we’ll work everything else out around it!

We were at my folks celebrating their 60th anniversary, I checked with big brother, and he hooked us up with a site.

BTW, here’s a shot from the party. I set up and played, had ‘em dancing all day!

2012-09-15_14-12-06_940.jpg

We’re going for the weekend, set-up Friday, come home Sunday.

That means Friday is… ‘Take Your Camper To Work Day’!

Work is a sweet torture when you have your rig parked outside of your office window.

MetalWife drops off Annie at the office as I’m closing up, and wheels up.

A quick stop at Publix for some ice and Magic Hat and we’re on the road… 10 minutes later, we’re at the KOA.

Big brother hooked us up with a great site, right on the water, neighbors only to the back of the PUP.

Ever have one of those moments where a real non-descript decision ends up saving you hours or even days of trouble and years of embarrassment? For me, that could be daily.

But in this instance, it was a matter of inches. I backed in, got the PUP pretty much where I wanted, but was going to adjust by a nudge and push, once unhitched.

I set the chocks about 4-6 inches behind the wheels, to leave room for adjustment.

As I cranked the tongue wheel, the camper starts to raise up off the hitch.

Just as it clears the ball, the camper starts to move backwards under its own weight, towards the bay.

It rocks up the chocks and back down, and settles in hard and tight…cool…I’ll set it up here!

2012-09-21_18-22-38_515.jpg

Meanwhile, I’m carrying on a conversation with a six-year old while trying to beat the light.

“Look Daddy! Everything!”

2012-09-21_18-22-53_793.jpg

By the way, that’s “Piggy Joe” she’s holding. More on Joe later.

The good Lord sent in the cavalry.

My brother decided to camp the weekend too. He had a cabin 100 feet away, and pulls up in the KOA cart. He took Annie for a ride whilst I set up the camper.

Our mantra for the weekend, Less Is More. I was set up in no time.

Know what this is?

2012-09-21_19-12-14_650.jpg

Nope.

That’s Pixie Dust.

That’s coquina and site droppings from the 1500 loop of the Fort from the Fourth.

See here:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/7002-blood-sweat-and-fiends-a-fort-fourth/

Now, normally, I’m not a big fan of garbage burning, but I sometimes use my beer boxes to start the fire. Plus I had to send a photo to Ben to rub it in that I had Hat and a fire ring.

2012-09-21_19-29-37_452.jpg

I fired up Paul Jr. and rocked the Bubba Burgers, with Cole Slaw, Pickles, and Lay’s Stax (a Pringle’s rip-off!)

2012-09-21_20-53-42_393.jpg

Annie took one of me!

2012-09-21_20-54-21_993.jpg

A wolf in sheep’s clothing.

2012-09-21_21-01-08_638.jpg

We were planning on staying up late, hanging out by the fire, visiting with my brother.

Then the skies opened up.

And the Lord spoke “Thou shalt go to bed early”, so we set up for the night.

Dear fiends, my favorite photo from the trip!

2012-09-21_21-18-05_804.jpg

We snapped one of the vacant ‘North Bunk’ to goof on Ben.

2012-09-21_21-20-16_109.jpg

And Annie wanted one more to send to MetalWife before she fell asleep.

The caption read “Mommy, I’m in your spot!”

2012-09-21_21-52-00_980.jpg

Tomorrow… a full Father-Daughter Saturday!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day One: Music: Heart, Aerosmith, Mott The Hoople, T. Rex Drink: Diet Dr. Pepper and Kool-Aid...Ok, I packed some beer too! Smell: Low Tide and Canvas Yes indeed dear reader…you’ve tuned into a TR fro

Another MD TR!!! Yeah, baby! your daughter is so. darn. cute. I didn't know KOA's were the subject of jokes, though? We've stayed in many, they're better than a lot of places!

I think this is fantastic. I love one on one time with my kids, too. Even if it's just the drive over to school in the morning or a long bike ride, being able to talk to them and just listen to what they have to say is priceless.

I also love the shoe picture.

I'm in.

Great you were able to spend quality time with Annie :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

"A wolf in sheep’s clothing" :heart: :rofl2:

B/c of MD enfluence, took some magic hat for others to experience. Didn't realize it would end up being more enfluence than I thought. :rofl2: Let's just say there are some extreme MH lovers out there....

So, where is this KOA that is only 15 minutes from where we live?

With waterfront sites no less?

TCD

I was wondering the same thing?

Love a good MD report, even if it's short and at a KOA.

I've never had a horrible experience at a KOA. Granted, some are better than others, but we usually only use them because it's in the vicinity of some kind of plans. I am curious to where this one is though.

Way to be a good Dad!!

Piggy Joe? There's gotta be a good story behind that. ^-^