BEL13VE in Magic: The TCD Gang Rings in 2013 at The Fort

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you gotta look under their Dee Dums………. bahahaha Sorry TCD I seem to cause your TR's to go south a little too often! That wee little Jimmy Johnson fan is rubbing off on me!

Just got on the magic express to the Fort. It seems more exciting to be on the way to the Fort while reading.

Are they really building a bouncy house castle over there?

I'm glad you cover the morning stuff, cause I never can!!!

Aw, c'mon, yes you could!

You really ought to give it a try some time.

Got your coffee yet?

Yes, I have the coffee, and we are on our way to River Country.

It will just be a bit longer.

Fiesty only has lights on her site right now, but soon even that will be gone. She told DH's parents that she's leaving on Jan 18th and going home.

Oh, I didn't know that. Seems a bit earlier than normal.

TCD

Continuing on with the morning of the 1st, I grabbed some coffee, and headed on over to River Country.

Just last night, I am sure this area was packed with folks there to see the NYE fireworks.

Now, it's just me.

Here's the old River Country entrance:

NYE2012347.jpg

The entrance area has been kept up, as it is used as a waiting area for the Backyard BBQ program. A lot of the old landscaping from River Country remains in place. Like these beautful bushes, which were blooming with flowers on this warm January morning:

NYE2012348.jpg

NYE2012349.jpg

While the old entry area has been kept up, the old double slide and big pool just on the other side of the fence is a completely different story. I remember how shocked I was when I first saw it in its decayed condition. Now I'm used to it:

NYE2012350.jpg

NYE2012351.jpg

On the side of the fence I'm on, though, things still look nice:

NYE2012352.jpg

I call this photo Sunrise Over Where Pop's Place Used to Be:

NYE2012353.jpg

While some of the flowering plants back here continue to bloom, others have gone dormant for the winter, like this Crepe Myrtle:

NYE2012354.jpg

I always stop to take a look and a few photos of the old River Country Pavilion. The word on the street is that this will be torn down some time in the near future to make way for a new DVC resort.

The last time I was here, the Fall decorations were still up. Today, it's winter:

NYE2012355.jpg

NYE2012356.jpg

NYE2012357.jpg

The stage decorations are a little different from last year:

NYE2012358.jpg

NYE2012359.jpg

NYE2012360.jpg

There sure are a lot of picnic tables in here:

NYE2012361.jpg

Clementine's Beach was very quiet:

NYE2012362.jpg

I got a refill on my coffee and thought I would sit and enjoy the Christmas music and view for one last time before the holiday was officially over.

A couple last shots of the Fort Christmas tree. We won't be seeing this again for another year:

NYE2012363.jpg

NYE2012365.jpg

The porch is nice and neat. I can tell Ms. Josie is working today:

NYE2012366.jpg

NYE2012367.jpg

I have the place to myself:

NYE2012368.jpg

I sat down here, where I could look out over the area where the old River Country Wagon belongs:

NYE2012369.jpg

That must be some renovation they're doing on it!

The view from my rocker:

NYE2012371.jpg

As I sat here enjoying the Christmas music, a young lady came up and sat in one of the chairs to my left. It was one of DaveInTn's daughters, Izzy. She had her Nook with her, and apparently was going to read. But a little while after I said hello, she left. I think I scared her. Sorry about that, Izzy.

I needed to be on my way myself.

There was other Fort stuff I needed to check on, and I headed over to a place that I always photograph next.

On my way out, a group of Segway folks came by. A Segway tour would not be high on my list of things to do on the morning of January 1st, but this group thought it would be a fun way to begin the new year:

NYE2012373.jpg

NYE2012374.jpg

Next up, we take a look around another one of my favorite Fort places.

TCD

I'm ashamed to admit that I got behind on my reading, but I've caught up now....with a brief nap in between.

You would see me turn into Stef Scrooge if I had been trapped in those firework crowds. I'm with Dave, I don't like people that much.

I have some night shots of the "abomination" from the Contemporary dock. Yuck.

I'm home now and will try to stay current. Please don't revoke my TCD deputy badge for being a slacker.

I'm ashamed to admit that I got behind on my reading, but I've caught up now....with a brief nap in between.

You would see me turn into Stef Scrooge if I had been trapped in those firework crowds. I'm with Dave, I don't like people that much.

I have some night shots of the "abomination" from the Contemporary dock. Yuck.

I'm home now and will try to stay current. Please don't revoke my TCD deputy badge for being a slacker.

Your TCD Junior Deputy Badge is good for life. No worries about it being revoked.

Especially not for getting behind on TR reading while you were at the Fort!

I thought of you and Trevor often over the weekend-I wish I could have made it over there- the weather was so nice!

Speaking of Trip Reports, when will you get yours started?

TCD

As I sat here enjoying the Christmas music, a young lady came up and sat in one of the chairs to my left. It was one of DaveInTn's daughters, Izzy. She had her Nook with her, and apparently was going to read. But a little while after I said hello, she left. I think I scared her. Sorry about that, Izzy.

I asked her about that, and she says that you didn't scare her. She went to the porch to get wifi to download a new book from the library, and when it finished downloading she left. She feels bad she didn't say goodbye to you. I think she was focused on the task at hand.

Last night, I was surrounded by thousands of people not from this land screaming FUEGO in my ear, and here, 8 hours later, I get to look upon this scene.

That's why I love the Fort!

DITTO

Sorry I've been MIA for awhile. My recent computer issue made it frustrating to do anything on the internet at home, so I didn't get around much. It's all better now though! Glad to be back in a TCD TR!!!

I slept in the next morning.

All the way to 8.

Wow! Living on the edge these days!

At least this is the only place you can see the abomination from the Fort.

I wouldn't be so sure. Here is a photo I took just for you while waiting for a bus at the Outpost this past October:

IMG_2836-1.jpg

The ranch that bears your name at night. See those 3 bright lights up top? Guess what those are. Yup. The abomination. Viewed from another spot at the Fort.

I appreciate that Fiesty sets up a whole nativity scene. She remembers the reason for the season. But this particular set is kind of creepy.

I was also appreciative of her nativity and spent a few moments looking at it while walking past one morning. Though I didn't notice what you did, I did wonder if she had owned this for a long time, if maybe it was one of her first decorations.

For example, there's the one wise man there on the left who seems to be checking out Joseph:

NYE2012337.jpg

And the wise man in the back has a really angry face and Hitler moustache.

Yes, I said Hitler moustache:

NYE2012338.jpg

That made me chuckle!

The TCD twins loved this new decoration in Fiesty's collection this year- she has Mater towing Santa's trailer:

NYE2012341.jpg

My boys enjoyed TowMater as well!

Here's a look at the front of Fiesty's site. Do you think she has enough signs? :

NYE2012345.jpg

She told me this past weekend that management made her take down the one that shows the name of her business.

Loving your TR as always, particularly since I was there at the time.

The biggest thing that kept us away this year was that Mulch, Sweat and Shears was playing on the big stage all night. We are not fans.

TCD

You and the Fort Fan see eye to eye on this one. I love them, but have only been given the chance to watch them a few times due to his dislike of them.

I did not see them on the big stage over the holiday. :(

Oh, some more really nice shots!!!

And actually I do get some early morning stuff!! (Really early morning stuff, it's still dark out), but then I go to bed :)

LOL!

I see some early morning stuff too- especially after 3 am EMH's, but I still get up early the next day.

I don't do a whole lot of relaxing at the Fort.

What a great morning on the porch....

Yup.

I highly recommend it.

Great morning shots as always!

All caught up and looking forward to more.

Good.

More is on the way.

Oh shoot! I forgot what I was going to say! :))

Great report though!

LOL!

You're the best!

Thanks for reading.

Spending the morning on the porch sounds like the perfect way to start a New Year. Wonder if I can talk the hubby into it?

I hope you do.

I know early mornings aren't everyone's idea of fun while on vacation, but I tell you there is something very special about feeling like you have the whole place to yourself.

I asked her about that, and she says that you didn't scare her. She went to the porch to get wifi to download a new book from the library, and when it finished downloading she left. She feels bad she didn't say goodbye to you. I think she was focused on the task at hand.

No worries.

I actually think she did say goodbye.

And, I was pretty sure she wasn't really creeped out by me. After all, she went on that mission with us last year, as well as this year's super secret mission. Ooops, I shouldn't have mentioned that, should I?

DITTO

Sorry I've been MIA for awhile. My recent computer issue made it frustrating to do anything on the internet at home, so I didn't get around much. It's all better now though! Glad to be back in a TCD TR!!!

Glad that you're back and reading along!

Love all the porch pics. That is about my favorite spot in FW and one of my favorites in all of WDW. Great way to spend New Year's morning!

Glad you liked them.

That's one of my favorite spots in all of WDW too.

I wouldn't be so sure. Here is a photo I took just for you while waiting for a bus at the Outpost this past October:

IMG_2836-1.jpg

The ranch that bears your name at night. See those 3 bright lights up top? Guess what those are. Yup. The abomination. Viewed from another spot at the Fort.

Good job on that photo.

My comment about not being able to see the abomination from other places in the Fort was facetious.

Unfortunately, you are right- this thing will eventually tower over the trail ride area.

What makes things worse is that the plans are to move all of the equine operations up here to the Outpost.

So, if those plans come to fruition, we will have a new barn and new blacksmith shop, and a great big hotel in the background.

Lovely.

Idiots.

I've also seen the crane lights very visibly at night on the road right by the 500 bus stop. At least I think that's what it is. Wouldn't at all be surprised to be able to see the top of the hotel itself when those two tower thingys are completed and lit by stupid red lights.

Yup.

You're right about that too.

As you head up Big Pine Drive from the Settlement, you can see that abomination towering over the trees.

I had hoped that it would only be the cranes, and that after they are gone the building would not be in view, but it's going to be there.

And it will be awful at night.

Idiots.

TCD

Great pictures. I think for us newbies you need to have a map showing you are here arrows for the pictures. When I was there I was finding all the things in the trip report pictures not where I expected them on the forts bad maps. Lol

That's a good suggestion.

But, as I'm sure you discovered, it's fun to explore the Fort and find things on your own.

I agree with you about the maps. They could do a much better job with the map.

You and the Fort Fan see eye to eye on this one. I love them, but have only been given the chance to watch them a few times due to his dislike of them.

I did not see them on the big stage over the holiday. :(

Great minds think alike.

Mr. Fort Fan is right.

The musicians in the band are talented, but they seem to always be playing Van Halen or some similar type music that is just un-Disney. And, their attempts to banter with the "crowd" are annoying. I put crowd in quotes because there is never a crowd around when they are performing. I don't get why they try to force this band on guests. You would think that the fact that few people stop to listen would tell management to move on. They must work for cheap.

TCD

Got another good one going here, sir. It's funny to read several fiend's posts that have us all weaving in and out of each other's camping trips.

I'm just collecting the last few pics from BM and I'll be ready to launch my New Year's TR shortly. You show up in it a few times.

Easy on the Van Halen bit there pal...Aerosmith is perhaps even more un-Disney!

They got a ride!

It's time for an update.

We left off on the morning of January 1st. We have already been to my favorite spot, River Country and scared poor Izzy off the porch. 2013 was going well.

But, there was more I needed to do.

No TCD TR is complete without a visit to the best campsite in the entire Fort.

So, I peddled that way.

On the way there, I saw fellow Fiend Specularius taking his dogs for a walk. He gave me the downlow on the NYE party on the beach the night before. Apparently, it was a big hit and very crowded. But, I'll bet it wasn't as crowded as Epcot.

Here we are at good old 617:

NYE2012375.jpg

And, for effect, here's an action shot showing two gents biking by:

NYE2012376.jpg

Woudn't it be awesome to have a constant parade of guests going right by your camper day and night?

Some people have all the luck.

From here, I headed over to the Meadow Trading Post.

They have rocking chairs and music there too.

Some decorations:

NYE2012377.jpg

Since Ms. Josie doesn't work here, things are not always in proper order on the porch.

This morning, there was only one rocking chair in the front:

NYE2012378.jpg

Since I was a party of one, that was not a problem for me.

I went inside to fill my mug, and came right out to set as spell.

But, some bozo was in my seat! :

NYE2012379.jpg

Lucky for him that I needed to get some photos around back.

For Bob:

NYE2012380.jpg

The trees back here have shed their leaves for winter:

NYE2012381.jpg

NYE2012382.jpg

Here's the first photo of Bob's dock taken in 2013:

NYE2012383.jpg

The new landscaping is not working for me:

NYE2012384.jpg

Bear Rock is high and dry and very un-bearlike:

NYE2012385.jpg

There's Bob's bobber tree- let's go check on the inventory:

NYE2012386.jpg

Here's a shot from the bank of the Fishin' Hole, looking at Bob's tree. I love the reflection of the Bike Barn and trees in the water, but do you see any bobbers? :

NYE2012387.jpg

How about now? :

bobber1.jpg

A bird flew by, and I thought it would look cool to take a photo of the bird and its reflection on the smooth water:

NYE2012388.jpg

Then I looked for some more bobbers. Here's one:

NYE2012390.jpg

In case you need a closer look:

bobber2.jpg

Looking towards Bob's dock from Bob's bobber tree, you can see just how low the water level is:

NYE2012391.jpg

All those rocks used to be in the water.

Squirrel! :

NYE2012392.jpg

Back porch decorations:

NYE2012393.jpg

When I got back to the front, my chair was free, so I did a little rocking.

But, I needed to get back.

I cranked up the TCD outdoor kitchen and made us some breakfast:

NYE2012396.jpg

Since I wanted to start the year off right, I broke out the Spankula:

NYE2012397.jpg

After breakfast, I got offered the use of a cart for a couple of hours, and we did some looping.

I loved Jeannie's decorations on the 700 loop. She actually had special NYE decorations:

NYE2012398.jpg

NYE2012406.jpg

A lot of people were already taking down decorations on the 1st.

I hate that.

But, quite a few people were leaving today.

These folks apparently aren't big Disney people:

NYE2012400.jpg

Speaking of decorations, I realized that I had never snapped a photo of the official TCD Gator Gnome:

NYE2012403.jpg

Thanks, Stef!

During our looping, the TCD twins groaned when I said I needed to take a photo behind the 300 loop. But I did it anyway. I thought my photo from the morning had too much glare in it.

This is the view from right as you leave the 300 loop:

NYE2012401.jpg

And a little zoom from that spot:

NYE2012402.jpg

And a zoom on that zoom:

crane.jpg

Awful.

Just awful.

We enjoyed looping for the morning, and chilled a bit around camp. I watched a little football, and we ate lunch at the site.

We didn't have big plans today.

But, we did plan to head over to Hollywood Studios.

We will be heading over there next.

In the next post, however, we are going to take a look at some stuff I found about the Four Seasons Hotel.

While we were enjoying our lunch, this little bird kept flying around our site:

bird1.jpg

The girls asked me what kind of bird it was.

I said I could be wrong, but I think it's a yellow bird.

Is there an ornithologist in the house?

Anyone know what kind of bird that is?

I don't recall seeing one like it around the Fort before.

TCD

More great pictures!!! However, the Bob's bobber tree gives me the shivers....

Those things are stupid Sweet Gum trees. We used to have three of those things in our yard! Uggh!!! You can't get the dang prickly balls up with a lawnmower, so you have to rake them and pile them up, and bag them to get rid of them. We used to pay the boys to get them up, but then they grew up and moved out, so we finally were able to cut the trees down. However, even four years later, I still find an occasional prickly ball in the landscaping, Brrrrrr, shiver. Ughhh!!!

(Can you tell, I hate prickly balls!!)

Facetious. Ornithologist. Man, you are just full of big words this morning. I had to break out the dictionary!

My guess on the bird is warbler.

I am with MD on the VH bashing. I'd rather hear so-so Van Halen than some of the pop junk they like to have performers play at DHS.

I like those NYE decorations too, I didn't notice she had changed them for that. That photo of Dick Clark is a nice touch. But Chip and Dale partying it up with the Miller Lite? Funny, but odd. Also I would think C&D would be more into a Sam Adams type of brew. Also what is with the chain on Mickey's ankle? Is he on parole?